Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

I am vengeance, I am the NIGHT, I am Batman!

Recommended Posts

Having a hell of a good time with Dirt Rally 2.0, the Lancia Delta S4 feels like a missile — while it didn't feel like such either in Dirt Rally or Dirt 4, but I admit two things long term are bothering me a little bit: it rains every single rally and damn, sometimes I feel it's always night, to the point I even get slightly impressed when I see in game daylight. I mean, at least about rain the game could take a little bit from F1 2018, objectively.

Btw guys, also... how is the Lancia 037 to drive with a controller? Wondering whether to buy the full Deluxe pack or just the tracks I like. The rest of the game, Stratos included, is just awesome with the pad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

are you playing the career for the first time?

if yes, then you're getting a ton of night and rain stages because the My Team section was like that upon release back in February, but they patched it a few weeks later. so the first championship would be like that and then all subsequent ones will have a much higher percentage of dry stages and less nighttime driving because although the locations, stages and conditions are picked randomly, they can change the balance.

if no, then uh... that's weird. *shrugs* things should even out eventually?

and if you can drive the Stratos well with a controller, you should be fine with the 037. the 911 and the M1 are the hardest to drive in that class.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I even got a few (one or two) top 10 on leaderboards with the Stratos, really comfortable car to drive, although 90% of the time I play RWD... any AWD car and I'm lucky if I'm in the top 500 after a very good stage. But yeah, it's my fifth season I guess, still more rainy stages (absolutely every event/location having rainy stages is crazy, no matter how incredible the rain looks and feels) and night races than what would be normal, I'm not sure I paid much attention to the first season though since I failed to see if it happened a lot then. But well, let's hope it evens out then *shrugs as well* 😂.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mattpetty said:

Btw guys, also... how is the Lancia 037 to drive with a controller? Wondering whether to buy the full Deluxe pack or just the tracks I like. The rest of the game, Stratos included, is just awesome with the pad.

The 037 is far less terrifying with a pad this time round. I really enjoy it in DR2.0, it still feels potent, but it is a lot less prone to snapping and firing you into the nearest solid object this time around. It's definitely my favourite car in class (though the Manta is a close second, as I find that so controllable on the limit). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

About rain: I don't know, I don't see a lot of rain stages anymore, I think they fixed that a while ago.

About night: they still haven't fixed that, it's far too much.

About 037: actually it's much easier to drive than the Stratos (I also play with pad). While I think it's nice that it's not near-uncontrollable anymore like in DR1, it feels too easy to me this time. The sudden snapping around was a common thing in DR1, and while I think that was a little over the top, it's odd that you can now just floor it in most situations (including corners) without much trouble.

But that goes for this class in general: in DR1, Group B RWD was the hardest class of all, in DR2 it's the easiest of all RWD classes. It doesn't feel right that the H2 RWD Escort is FAR more difficult to control than the 037. Or take the BMW M1, a 1978 RWD street supercar with 430HP that was never intended for rallying, but somehow it's one of the easiest RWD cars in DR2. That definitely doesn't feel right.

Edited by DocStrangelove
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, mattpetty said:

I even got a few (one or two) top 10 on leaderboards with the Stratos, really comfortable car to drive, although 90% of the time I play RWD... any AWD car and I'm lucky if I'm in the top 500 after a very good stage. But yeah, it's my fifth season I guess, still more rainy stages (absolutely every event/location having rainy stages is crazy, no matter how incredible the rain looks and feels) and night races than what would be normal, I'm not sure I paid much attention to the first season though since I failed to see if it happened a lot then. But well, let's hope it evens out then *shrugs as well* 😂.

ok, so I've been pretty interested in this because ... I'm weird... and I've been vaguely mentally keeping track of how many wet/dry and day/night stages there are since it got patched. night is about 25% of stages, and wet roads/low visibility (ie heavy snow in Sweden) are about the same at ~25% of stages

for examples, I started up the game and counted all the non-daily stages in My Team mode that I could get to easily (can't be bothered to retire all the events of every Monthly just to see the conditions). I have the Deluxe, so I can access all the bonus and D+ events.

here's a breakdown of my current career (Pro level):

  • Sweden : night 2/8 stages // heavy snow 2/8 stages (heavy snow doesn't impede visibility much at night, just during the day, but whatever I counted it)
  • Monte Carlo : night 2/8 (light snow doesn't do anything really so it's not even worth counting imo)
  • Germany : night 2/8 // wet 2/8
  • New England: night 2/8 // wet 3/8
  • New Zealand: night 2/8 // wet 0/8
  • Spain: night 2/8 // wet 0/8

and here's all the current weekly events:

  • Germany (Bonus - 2000cc): night 2/9 // wet 3/9
  • Poland (R5): night 2/7 // wet 2/7
  • New England (D+ H3 RWD): night 2/9 // wet 4/9
  • Spain (H2 FWD): night 1/7 // wet 0/7

and for good measure I got the first events of all the monthly ones too:

  • New Zealand (Bonus - 2000cc) : night 2/9 // wet 3/9
  • New Zealand (R5): night 2/9 // wet 3/9
  • Australia (D+ H2 FWD): night 2/9 // wet 3/9
  • Australia (NR4): night 1/6 // wet 0/6

that's why I asked if you were doing the career for the first time, or if you hadn't played it since before like mid-march (whenever the update was). because any career loaded before that would have waaaaaay more night and/or wet stages than that, and that'd explain what's going on with you. if it's not that, then... yeah it shouldn't be like that for long haha

I'm ok with the balance of night/day stages right now. honestly what I want is just more times of day and weather conditions in general, like in Dirt 4. currently, each location in DR 2.0 has between 5 (Wales) and 10 (NE, Poland and Spain) different lighting conditions. Dirt 4 had 130 per location (10+ times of day x 13 different types of weather)

Edited by ianism

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ianism

I remember Dirt 4 near the end, that special championship (I forgot the name, dropped the game after like a month since my thing is to drive vintage cars and it failed to surprise my back then, but that ones which you have to beat the career to unlock I think?) to be essentially night and rain, or night + rain :P. But early-to-mid Dirt 4 was perfect about this.

But yeah, you have from 2/3 to 3/4 of your events to have rainy stages, that seems a little bit overkill. Night seems OK in your stats though. While the stages distribution (number of wet or night stages/total number of stages) over an event seems good, what annoys me is that it rains at almost every event.

@all

Thanks for the feedbacks over the 037, I'll get the whole Deluxe pack then.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see it raining a couple of times per event to be a problem, honestly.

it provides more variety, both visually and handling-wise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, DocStrangelove said:

About 037: actually it's much easier to drive than the Stratos (I also play with pad). While I think it's nice that it's not near-uncontrollable anymore like in DR1, it feels too easy to me this time. The sudden snapping around was a common thing in DR1, and while I think that was a little over the top, it's odd that you can now just floor it in most situations (including corners) without much trouble.

But that goes for this class in general: in DR1, Group B RWD was the hardest class of all, in DR2 it's the easiest of all RWD classes. It doesn't feel right that the H2 RWD Escort is FAR more difficult to control than the 037. Or take the BMW M1, a 1978 RWD street supercar with 430HP that was never intended for rallying, but somehow it's one of the easiest RWD cars in DR2. That definitely doesn't feel right.

IMHO it's realistic that the 037 is much easier to drive than the Stratos: the Stratos was designed in the early '70s and every article about it mentions that it had nerveous handling and only the most skilled and bravest drivers could drive it effectively and really fast.

The Escort: it was based on a road car, and as far as I know the Mk.II Escort shared many components and design features with the Mk.I. It was narrow, had a high mass centre, and a live axle at the rear. The 037 was a purposely built for rally racing, not a road car transformed to racing. Low center of gravity, wider track, better weight distribution, wider tires and a double wishbone rear suspension with dual shock absorbers instead of the Escort's live axle. I think it's logical that it's faster and easier to drive than the Ford. It's also realistic the the 037 is a better drive than the 911SC.

The BMW M1: in real life it only started on tarmac rallies and has serious unreliability issues. In DR 2.0 you can drive it in every location and technical failures which completely stops the car are non existent. But the 430HP engine output is still there with the fully customizable suspension, gears, and differential. Roads are also a little bit wider in the game than in real life so the large dimensions of the M1 are not that bothering. I think these are the reasons why the M1 is faster than we expected it to be.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×