Sign in to follow this  

2015 Formula 1 Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix

VetteIfan said:
Who's "the experts"? 2 or 3 laps more on the tyres would not have resulted in him running out of rubber. Of couse it's easier to say this in hindsight, and knowing that Lewis had a brake problem, but the possibility was there. 
The Ferrari team, Martin Brundle and Kimi himself said he stopped at the right time.....

Mclaren were a match for Force India, Sauber and Toro Rosso today... More progress! 

Hughesy said:
VetteIfan said:
Who's "the experts"? 2 or 3 laps more on the tyres would not have resulted in him running out of rubber. Of couse it's easier to say this in hindsight, and knowing that Lewis had a brake problem, but the possibility was there. 
The Ferrari team, Martin Brundle and Kimi himself said he stopped at the right time.....
Pretty sure Brundle said during commentary that his initial impression was they'd stopped Kimi later than they needed too. And under the circumstances Ferrari aren't going to condemn their own strategy. The press would be all over it saying they cost themselves the win. 

Kimi managed 17 laps in the first stint on heavy fuel and with tyres that had been run in qualifying. On fresh tyres and light fuel, they should easily have been able to do 19-20 laps. Remember as well that he was losing two seconds a lap at the end of his second stint, so as well as making his soft (and faster) stint longer he would've also avoided the horrible last few laps he had at the end of his medium stint by pitting a few laps earlier. 

As I say, all easy to say in hindsight, but an extra 4 seconds was definitely on the table for Raikkonen today. 

On a seperate note did anyone catch the Hamilton-Vettel joint interview from the BBC? I rarely tune in to BBC F1 these days, but I heard this was being shown in the pre-show and it was great. Some brilliant lines and stories from it, as there normally is when they get two drivers interviewed together. 

You gotta love Maldonado http://wtf1.co.uk/maldonado-bahrain-fail/

"He was meant to start the race from 16th, so where do you think he tried his luck starting from? 15th? 14th? Nope, 18th.

Yes, in a penalty that surely only Pastor Maldonado could have achieved, he managed to be penalised for actually started two grid slots back from where he was meant to have started the race.

Cheating, you’re doing it wrong."

:D

Platy said:
Didn't Sainz get a penalty for being too slow to the grid?
Yep, he was penalized for doing a very slow lap from the pits to the grid, that was awkward as well!

mike96 said:
You gotta love Maldonado http://wtf1.co.uk/maldonado-bahrain-fail/

"He was meant to start the race from 16th, so where do you think he tried his luck starting from? 15th? 14th? Nope, 18th.

Yes, in a penalty that surely only Pastor Maldonado could have achieved, he managed to be penalised for actually started two grid slots back from where he was meant to have started the race.

Cheating, you’re doing it wrong."

:D

Very surprised that wasn't an aborted start. Did he move forward, hence the cause of the long pause?

I'm pretty sure he didn't move forward, because the footage I saw of him was while the red lights came on and he was still two slots behind where he should've been. But they must have delayed the red lights because they were probably waiting to see if he moved forward. I was really surprised at how long the wait was at first though, as I'm sure all you lot were too.

And aha Seb that was funny :P I'm sure he's using a few expletives there...

Always good to see a passionate team principal.
Especially at Ferrari. I could never imagine Mattiacci showing any kind emotion like that. Of course team bosses aren't hired on their ability to be passionate. They're hired on their ability to lead a team. But as you say it's always great to see.

Also note the equally passionate lead designer to his right. Ferrari are a team enjoying their racing again. At last.

Ferrari fans and team members alike must find it hard to get excited about 6th and downwards, as it was last season. A midfield team might be happy,but not Ferrari.

I like Arrivibene (not sure how you spell it :p) and obviously my two favourite drivers are there so there won't ever be a more awesome season for me I don't think.