Check your HDR setting in game - PS4Pro

Just a quick heads up to those of you who are playing on a HDR capable TV/Monitor.  This was experienced on a PS4Pro.

I recently thought that the colours of F1 2019 looked a bit cartoonish and wondered what was going on.  Went into the graphics options to look at the HDR setting.  It was set to "AUTO".  

When I changed that setting from AUTO to ON, it was instantly apparent that AUTO = no HDR.  The colours suddenly looked a lot more realistic, and the game really shined as a result.  When changing between AUTO and OFF, there was no change to the colours.

So evidently, the AUTO HDR function in the game was not picking up that I have a HDR TV (I guess) and was not allowing HDR to be displayed.  Only the ON option does that.

Worth a look, as it is a significant improvement.

• Thanks 1

I prefer it with HDR off. The colours and contrast look so washed out with HDR on. 

Thanks for this, it looked really off indeed. The Ferrari's were so red that my eyes fell out of their sockets. 

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Ferrethead81 said:

Just a quick heads up to those of you who are playing on a HDR capable TV/Monitor.  This was experienced on a PS4Pro.

I recently thought that the colours of F1 2019 looked a bit cartoonish and wondered what was going on.  Went into the graphics options to look at the HDR setting.  It was set to "AUTO".  

When I changed that setting from AUTO to ON, it was instantly apparent that AUTO = no HDR.  The colours suddenly looked a lot more realistic, and the game really shined as a result.  When changing between AUTO and OFF, there was no change to the colours.

So evidently, the AUTO HDR function in the game was not picking up that I have a HDR TV (I guess) and was not allowing HDR to be displayed.  Only the ON option does that.

Worth a look, as it is a significant improvement.

Hey thanks! I will check this also tonight. 

Update: i tested it and for me; i had it at ON and you see that HDR is ON. But at ON and Auto, the HDR is available for me. So for me it works correctly

Edited by GioProductions
Extra info

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, GioProductions said:

Hey thanks! I will check this also tonight. 

Update: i tested it and for me; i had it at ON and you see that HDR is ON. But at ON and Auto, the HDR is available for me. So for me it works correctly

Yeah I’m wondering if there is something wrong my PS4/TV now to be honest. Or a combination of a certain TV with the ps4 as someone above had a similar experience to me  FWIW I have a Samsung TV  

It seems the game for me randomly decides if it wants to dismally HDR at all. When I went in there tonight it was OFF. Could turn it straight back in though. 

Edited by Ferrethead81
Wrote wrong thing

I just tried turning it to ON from AUTO and can’t say I’ve noticed a difference. 

On 8/1/2019 at 9:41 AM, johnboy83 said:

I just tried turning it to ON from AUTO and can’t say I’ve noticed a difference. 

I'm guessing your AUTO function is working properly.  Seems a bit hit and miss between consoles.