Please add more info on the steering wheel screen [R2]

On 7/31/2019 at 2:48 PM, SturmDesTodes said:

That is awesome, will you make this publicly available?

i have made a topic for you @SturmDesTodes ūüėČ

• Like 1

Hi all, love what you guys have done with your own race hubs, I was curious as to what critical information isn't on the steering wheel screen there in-game already that would help? I can then feed that back to the team to see if there are any improvements that we can make.  

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, RedDevilKT said:

Hi all, love what you guys have done with your own race hubs, I was curious as to what critical information isn't on the steering wheel screen there in-game already that would help? I can then feed that back to the team to see if there are any improvements that we can make.  

Hi @RedDevilKT.

Here's one that I made based off the game's design. I think the 3 most crucial things added that the game doesn't show are:

- Fuel mix

- Engine temperature

- DRS indicator 

I also find the tyre wear percentage very helpful ( it shows one percentage for the most worn tyre) 

It would also be great if the temperature text would change color when overheating like it does in the app, as the point of overheating is different for each compound.

Screenshot_20190719-215734_SIM Dashboard.jpg

Edited by Worntoathread
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, RedDevilKT said:

@RedDevilKT

-Fuel Mix

-Differential

-Break Ballast

-Engine Temperatures 

-Tyre wear 

-Car Damage 

-Delta to car in front / back

-DRS Indicator

-Throttle and Break Paddle 

-Popup Screen that takes around 60% of the overall display for around 1,2 seconds whenever Fuel, ERS, Diff. or BBal is changed

But the biggest thing that is missing imo, is customization to the internal Steering Wheel Display as to how we want to place info or what exactly we want to be shown or which color or transparency or even size we want to use etc.

You could also make the pages of the MFD become a part of the Steering Wheel Display, where we press a button and can flip through the pages, which ultimately gives Cockpit Users the chance to turn off the MFD because it is a immersion breaker to have the MFD on the right hand side whilst driving in Cockpit Mode.

Speaking of Cockpit Mode, will we ever get a proper Helmet Cam as in Project Cars?

Nevertheless, there is a lot of creative usages for the Steering Wheel Display, hope you can make the best out of it and give us something that is just as good as the Dashboard App itself.

Edited by SturmDesTodes
Spelling error, Tags added
  • Agree 2

I don't see why CM didn't have the car display change in cockpit view with everything, like in F1 & what you can do in add on app.

Bigger number like in F1 can help with speed and less accident I feel.

• Agree 1

I think these are great videos for getting a view of how it should look like.

Edited by marosimark
typos
  • Like 1

Well them wing mirrors us the only thing there got right sadly.

But the view he has is way better

Edited by Hygradeb
  • Like 1

On 9/26/2019 at 1:01 PM, RedDevilKT said:

A lot of us love cockpit view and we need to have the information Infront of us instead of in the MFD so we can compete better with non cockpit view drivers.

A changing wheel display of a good size is way better and more helpful than a distracting MFD on the right (PS4) and Yes good size we need to see the numbers.

For example we go to brake bias the wheel display changing to brake bias number once set it jumps back to normal settings, which is the default return for each menu.

If Jeff suggestions a change in strategy it come up as a big display showing the same information the MFD would with tyre choice race position maybe even recommended laptop and we just press the voice button to ok or MFD to say no or if possible say yes or no. 

In Q1 -3 if we get that far the sector times should be big numbers in the middle of the display all the information that you give us in the top left corner should be in that display.

In. Simple words our MFD should be the wheel display.

One benefit of having this is you can cut down on wasted button & use the MFD short cut more, which is both fun & will help with less wheel mistake in race

Also you see how all non cockpit views have there telemetry available to them this should be included in our halo brake on the left gas on the right.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Not sure if you  can see mine but I have everything from;

‚ÄĘGap between drivers ahead and behind

‚ÄĘMy penalties¬†

‚ÄĘBest sector times

‚ÄĘSession best sector times

‚ÄĘBest¬†laps, human and AI

‚ÄĘEngine temperature

‚ÄĘTyre wear

‚ÄĘWeather would also be cool

IMG-20191003-WA0001.jpeg

• Like 1

Nice display 

Another thing useful is having a way to compare each practice & race best times in wheel.. it's hard trying to remember wat you do each time because it's not keep any way.

• Agree 2

Hi

Yes we have asked this question in many different way.

I want to simply be told when is cockpit view getting the same information as every other view.

If you have to ask what information is missing from cockpit view then you need your eyes tested.

CM Can you also be more responsive to the people who spend their hard earned money buying your products.

All your mager problems which you have many, should have a weekly updates even if it's small, and be more open as what is going on. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Since the 26th of September, the day when @RedDevilKT gave us a official reply and asked what info we want to be displayed on the steering wheel dashboard, we did not get another update anymore again.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, TheEmpireWasRight said:

Since the 26th of September, the day when @RedDevilKT gave us a official reply and asked what info we want to be displayed on the steering wheel dashboard, we did not get another update anymore again.

Yes your right that's one off many reasons I ask this question.

CM made a game that not equal in every view and many other things.

I just want to know the basic why & when we it be.

I appreciate all the outside programmers that has filled the gap that CM has not but I pay legend price & I want legend features for that price.

• Agree 2

@Hygradeb I've merged your thread with this one as it is regarding the same issue. 

I have passed this information onto the team already but I do not have any information that I can share just yet. Know that the team are aware of your feedback and I'll be sure to bring this up with them again. 

• Thanks 2

I can truly say I don't expect we will get anything like what we want next year or year after and if we do I guess we will spend 90% off the game life like we are doing right now telling CM where there have gone wrong like every other year.

One thing CM does consistently is make a game that is broken but it does bring the community together... Lol.

I can't afford to purchase a game that I spend more time telling the company about the problems than enjoying it.

Yes every thing man made has a fault, and yes all games have problems.

But when you been making the same game so long with the same mistake you have to think does the company actually care or is it just the money you care about because F1 has a large fan base around the world.

• Agree 1

@BarryBL

So, this is a picture of the only currently available F1 2020 video footage we have, to see how the game looks like.

From a first glance at the steering wheel, i can see right away that it is still missing lots of info. Just to name a few:

-Fuel Mix

-Fuel Usage

-Brake Bias

-Differential

-Car damage (front wing, rear wing, sidepods, underfloor, engine, turbo, suspension, tyres etc.)

-Car heat (especially engine and turbo heat)

-Delta to car in front and car behind (in Time Trial this could be the ghost times)

Etc. Etc. Etc.

Of course, this was obviously recorded in a Time Trial session and the game is still a "work in progress", but if this vital info is not in F1 2020 the game, then it will be disappointing to say the least, as:

Cockpit drivers heavily rely on all of that info, and me personally, i'd like to be able to completely turn off the HUD / MFD, so that i can get all the needed info on my ingame steering wheel screen for maximum immersion and realism.

At the moment, that does not seem to be possible for cockpit drivers.

Screenshot_20200430-154816_YouTube.jpg

Edited by TheEmpireWasRight
Spelling error, Added new info
  • Agree 2

Hi @TheEmpireWasRight,

This is still a 'Work In Progress' and is still subject to change, as with all aspects of the game. This is more a demonstration of the new circuit.

However, regarding your request, I'd be curious to see how anyone could get all of that information on a wheel. Some of it yeah sure, but "-Car damage (front wing, rear wing, sidepods, underfloor, engine, turbo, suspension, tyres etc" is not something you would have on the wheel available to a driver.

Information like this is where the MFD is vital. IRL, drivers wouldn't have access to that information (see number 9 on the video below for Kimi's rather unique way of showing this) but we realise that it would be important for the player, so we have it on the MFD.

Also, the wheel would have to have a 42 inch monitor to get that¬†in it to show that ūüėõ¬†

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BarryBL said:

Hi @TheEmpireWasRight,

This is still a 'Work In Progress' and is still subject to change, as with all aspects of the game. This is more a demonstration of the new circuit.

However, regarding your request, I'd be curious to see how anyone could get all of that information on a wheel. Some of it yeah sure, but "-Car damage (front wing, rear wing, sidepods, underfloor, engine, turbo, suspension, tyres etc" is not something you would have on the wheel available to a driver.

Information like this is where the MFD is vital. IRL, drivers wouldn't have access to that information (see number 9 on the video below for Kimi's rather unique way of showing this) but we realise that it would be important for the player, so we have it on the MFD.

Also, the wheel would have to have a 42 inch monitor to get that¬†in it to show that ūüėõ¬†

I have it on a 5 inch Samsung S4 phone screen...see here :classic_biggrin:

(Is there a way to turn the picture?)

20200429_014828.jpg

Edited by GioProductions
info
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BarryBL said:

HoweverÔĽŅ, regarding your request, I'd be curious to see how anyoneÔĽŅ could get all of that information on a wheel. Some of it yeah sure, but "-Car damage (front wing, rear wing, sidepods, underfloor, engine, turbo, suspension, tyres etc" is not something you would have on the wheel available to a driver.ÔĽŅ

Information like this is where the MFD is vital. IRL, drivers wouldn't have access to that information (see number 9 on the video below for Kimi's rather uniqueÔĽŅ way of showing this) but we realise that it would be important for the player, so we have it on the MFD.

Thanks for the answer.

Yes, damage would be questionable to be on the steering wheel, that is true. But, i personally meant to get rid off the MFD / HUD completely for cockpit drivers. Imo, there are 3 ways of doing that in a more immersive or realistic way:

1.) Make all the vital MFD and HUD info available on the steering wheel, with the ability to scroll / switch through pages (e.g. in Project Cars 1 you could press a button to scroll, or rather switch, through LCD info pages: 1 page had the temperatures, 1 page had the delta times, 1 page had the standard info of laptime and gearing as well as speed etc.), so that cockpit drivers can fully turn off the MFD / HUD.

2.) Give the Radio Engineer more lines to detailed info about the cars status, weather reports, opponent strategies etc., so that we can fully turn off the MFD / HUD.

3.) Give us a complete combination of #1 & #2, so that we can fully turn off the MFD / HUD and have the best overall experience.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, GioProductions said:

I have it on a 5 inch Samsung S4 phone screen...see here :classic_biggrin:

(Is there a way to turn the picture?)

20200429_014828.jpg

That's a nice setup you have there.

Am currently also using my tablet for all the vital info, via a 3rd party app, but it'd be amazing to have it ingame.

16 minutes ago, EduCalza said:

Or real dashboards.

That'd be the most realistic approach.

But, imo, there is a lot of simulation missing in the game, to make the most out of it. 

If, with the current simcade handling and physics model, Codemasters decided to make a 1:1 "real dashboard", they'd have to fake or ommit certain values from the screen, as in real life there is much more info to be gathered for the drivers, info that the game does not yet fully offer, for example: 

Inner / outer tyre temps, accurate ers simulation (preprogrammed modes & plans), accurate fuel management etc.

Either way, the "real dashboard" is the ultimate way to go, hope Codemasters will one day give cockpit drivers some love. (If they haven't already)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheEmpireWasRight said:

That'd be the most realistic approach.

But, imo, there is a lot of simulation missing in the game, to make the most out of it. 

If, with the current simcade handling and physics model, Codemasters decided to make a 1:1 "real dashboard", they'd have to fake or ommit certain values from the screen, as in real life there is much more info to be gathered for the drivers, info that the game does not yet fully offer, for example: 

Inner / outer tyre temps, accurate ers simulation (preprogrammed modes & plans), accurate fuel management etc.

Either way, the "real dashboard" is the ultimate way to go, hope Codemasters will one day give cockpit drivers some love. (If they haven't already)

Yeah, I know. The teams don't allow to see their dashsboard too. 

When F1 YT channel release some 'driver's eye cam' they apply some blur on dashboard.

Thanks for have UDP telemetry and us can make dashboard, like, that use LCD Screen (7") mounted in my wheel base, like Williams. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheEmpireWasRight said:

That's a nice setup you have there.

Am currently also using my tablet for all the vital info, via a 3rd party app, but it'd be amazing to have it ingame.

Thanks! I do the same, but with an old phone on my rim. And Using Sim Dashboard with my own made design. Love it.

20191116_190633.thumb.jpg.f11f0056bad0569dc567407962301b91.jpg

The only struggle i have, is this:

Edited by GioProductions
info
  • Like 2

Sim dashboard is a game changer for me, no contest for removing that hud for immersion AND getting all the info a driver wants. Customization is key for real F1 drivers and no less so for those of us aiming for an accurate visual experience.

I have a rather ambitious but absolutely realistic idea. There are already multiple apps that allow mirroring of a tablet or phone on a pc screen. Wouldn't it be rather fantastic if Codies allows you to mirror your personal device screen on your actual F1 in game wheel display? This would mean you could not only use telemetry apps to customize your in game display but ANYTHING from your phone or tablet. Streamers could put their chat there for example. Other uses would be a switchable display on your device like sim dashboard has so you could have different views for practice, qualifying and race. You could also put track camera views on there, TV programs (Netflix hulu for those long Monaco dirges, web sites with tips such as game hit keys, full race timing screens, SMS messaging, Skype, your coop buddies video chat/driver view.... Etc etc basically the sky is the limit. It wouldn't affect either as it's simple screen mirroring, all rendering done on the separate device. Tons of fun and all the info you could possibly want! Also it's something that could also work on consoles the same way a camera is displayed on screen. Obviously easier on pc and I get that console players would not be happy they were not included but why not unlock the power of the pc? Codies don't have to do a ton of work to get this to work just allow mapping of the wheel display to an incoming port. The wheel already has a display coming from a virtual screen routine in the game. I dont believe the wheel display is drawn frame by frame during the actual car rendering that would be too slow. It has to be run in the background and pulled in every refresh.

I think this would be a major game selling point. Excuse my enthusiasm for thinking in this case literally 'out the box'!

ūü§ĒūüóÉÔłŹūüėé

• Like 4