Sign in to follow this  

More than Five Restarts, or Let's Do the Restart Boogie

Posted (edited)

Restart 1: Haha, oh boy, that first corner, I forgot

Restart 2: Oh, yeah, that nasty 4 right up a crest, really that should be a 3, and anyhoo I've barely woken up, let me grab a cup of tea

Restart 3: OK that 4 left *really* needs a 'caution' because come on I flew off a freaking mountain there

Restart 4: Ooops, I did it again, played with your heart, got lost in the game

Restart 5: RIGHT this is NOT fun any more, what the hell that corner should be a freaking ONE not a FOUR

<re-loads game to get restarts back> Right, this time I'm focused, I'm a machine, I WILL get through

Restart 7: @#$@#$ you Dirt #$%#$% @#$@#$

Restart 8: Ok this time it's for real, I'm focused, I'm not thinking of my ex or anything else, I AM RALLY

Restart 14: MADE IT!...... What.... 27th are you KIDDING ME??

Restart 17: This time I am going in HARD. I WILL conquer

Restart 24: YASS!!!! I am the rally KANG!! I came 12th yeaah, seriously maybe I should try this for real? I'm actually good, it can't be that much harder in real life, can it?!?

Edited by Jake Cushing
  • Haha 4

So, does that mean, you want more restarts?

5 is not enough?

And why you cheating yourself by re-loading the game?

You can't get better, if you don't learn from your mistakes. And you can't learn from your mistakes, if you always quickly restart after a mistake.

Usually I try to push hard on the first try and if that fails, I do a second try slightly less aggressive.

At the moment I do mostly community challenges and club races, so theres only one try anyway.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, UnderclassGDfan said:

So, does that mean, you want more restarts?

5 is not enough?

And why you cheating yourself by re-loading the game?

Oh no, why, never! Gambling is illegal at Bushwood, and I never slice.

Ten would be nice

Edited by Jake Cushing

With how many bad pacenote calls there are, 12 would be a minimum restart number for 12 stages so that you can remind yourself of them once.   That's the whole issue that gets people into a restart frenzy, even people who have good car control skills get caught out by bad notes, which exist.

It's true. There are especially some missing 'cautions', a '4 left' in NZ where you can very easily fly off a hillside comes to mind.

• Agree 3

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, bn880 said:

With how many bad pacenote calls there are, 12 would be a minimum restart number for 12 stages so that you can remind yourself of them once.   That's the whole issue that gets people into a restart frenzy, even people who have good car control skills get caught out by bad notes, which exist.

I wouldn't say bad but incomplete. As Jake mentioned, a few 'caution' calls here and there would be appropriate if there's a risk of falling down a cliff if you overshoot a corner. I think the problem with pacenotes is the perception. A '3 left' in a R2 can be flat out, in a R5 car it definitely isn't. Also, if you just exited a hairpin and the next '2 left' is close it might be flat out too, even in a R5 car, so it always depends on the car class and the speed you reach a certain corner how you can take it. I think that's mostly why people feel that pacenotes are wrong. 

Edited by richie
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, richie said:

I wouldn't say bad but incomplete. As Jake mentioned, a few 'caution' calls here and there would be appropriate if there's a risk of falling down a cliff if you overshoot a corner. I think the problem with pacenotes is the perception. A '3 left' in a R2 can be flat out, in a R5 car it definitely isn't. Also, if you just exited a hairpin and the next '2 left' is close it might be flat out too, even in a R5 car, so it always depends on the car class and the speed you reach a certain corner how you can take it. I think that's mostly why people feel that pacenotes are wrong. 

There definitely are some BAD calls.  For example, the keep center in the call here:

It's only keep center if you take a sharp right at the very very end, if you're looking at the roadway at speed, it's a keep right.  And it should be called as such.

There are other problematic calls on that stage listed in the video description.  One is essentially a 2 left called as a 3. where previous 3's were much wider and faster.

There are more scary/bad calls on other stages/events, you just have to know how to look for them without using your memory of the stage (good luck on that).

But yes there are many incomplete calls as well not mentioning not to cut, or to cut where one should.  It just needs an editor to customize it to each drivers needs.

Edited by bn880
  • Agree 2

9 hours ago, Jake Cushing said:

It's true. There are especially some missing 'cautions', a '4 left' in NZ where you can very easily fly off a hillside comes to mind.

Absolutely, missing cautions as well.  Another one is a drop 4 left at the end of one of the polish stages.  You always end up in the trees there if you don't remember it.

• Agree 1

On 8/4/2019 at 2:03 AM, Jake Cushing said:

Oh no, why, never! Gambling is illegal at Bushwood, and I never slice.

Ten would be nice

Hoi polloi!  Where'd you just come from, a scotch adddddd? 

11 minutes ago, DaleRossi said:

Hoi polloi!  Where'd you just come from, a scotch adddddd? 

alright everybody, it's time to christen the sloop!

• Haha 1

I just wing it and hope I don't yeet the car into the scenery too much

Don't know why they can't just let us choose 0, 5, 10, or infinite restarts. Let people play the game the way they want. 

Here's an idea too: allow the player to choose 0, 5, 10 or infinite restarts and then create a trophy for winning the Master's championship with the zero restarts settings. 

24 minutes ago, Tranzitive said:

Don't know why they can't just let us choose 0, 5, 10, or infinite restarts. Let people play the game the way they want. 

Here's an idea too: allow the player to choose 0, 5, 10 or infinite restarts and then create a trophy for winning the Master's championship with the zero restarts settings. 

Because that would kill the spirit of rally.

If you want infinite restarts, play time trial.

Personally I think there should be no restarts at all in My Team-Careers.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1