Sign in to follow this  

I want to be reassure about the cockpit cam.

Hello like the title says, I would like to be reassure about the cockpit cam please.

From the video they shown, the cockpits are just a blurry black shadow view.... just like moders had to do for Grid 2.

If that's the case, I don't find this acceptable.

Please Codemasters, make a trailer or screenshots for the cockpit.

I would also like to know if there is pit stops and will they be animated ? your system dev team have all the materials for it, so there isn't any excuse for it not to be present.

No pitstops unfortunately, we can't have everything, especially not on this generation of hardware

The cockpit cam blurs out at high speeds, supposedly so you focus on the racing and not the pointlessly detailed interiors which aren't really needed.

Sorry my 1st time posting here, made a mistake. Sorry for double post.

No pitstops unfortunately, we can't have everything, especially not on this generation of hardware

The cockpit cam blurs out at high speeds, supposedly so you focus on the racing and not the pointlessly detailed interiors which aren't really needed.

I beg to differ about the cockpit detail, I like them, they should be in there. Also F1 games from Codemaster have got a cool pit stop with animation, so I also beg to differ on the limitations...

It probably wouldn't be as simple as transferring it straight over from F1, with loads of different cars to model and cater for. I agree that it would be a great feature though.

It probably wouldn't be as simple as transferring it straight over from F1, with loads of different cars to model and cater for. I agree that it would be a great feature though.

Yeah it would for sure, let's hope ^^.

Judging by these videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlt0L3JO4_M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcfLuSwulsM

The cockpit view is really bad. If we can call it cockpit view actually. You can't see the dashboard, the steering wheel... wtf Codemasters?

There are 2 cockpit views! One with a wheel and the other one just with the window and less interior. The openwheeler have the extra t-cam option as well.

The one without the steering wheel will be my view of choice. Why would I want to see two steering wheels in front of me?

wow nice videos dude...
I liked what i saw about physics - handling (cars have to brakes in corners etc) , replays etc..
I only did not like the cockpit view graphics....Ok i know codemasters had never have detailed cockpit views , but to be honest in GAS seems too poor, and reminds me of Toca 3 dashboard view..:( 
Ok for me no big problem about this cause i like hood and chase view also that you have higher visibility but sometimes i like to play with cockpit..
Its good that codies added dashbaord view for those with wheels
I like also over helmet view in open wheels , my favorite view in F1 series..
;)

When you're driving around town, how often do you really look at your dash?  Now drive around at 70+mph on a busy twisty stretch of motorway, how often do you look at your dash?  Now add more speed and imagine trying to overtake and defend as well, how often are you going to be looking at your dash?

Grid Autosport is all about the racing, not the piddling little engraving on the gear knob whilst your waiting on the grid - give me functional, immersive depth of field cockpits every day of the week.

I think it's pretty hilarious how Codemasters are passing off the blurred out interiors as both a stylistic choice and system limitations.

Okay, system limitations, really? Can someone please explain why GRID 1 had nice enough and functional displays and mirrors for Touring Car events with 20 cars, or GT1 races with 12, but Autosport has to be all "Stylistic choice"!?

And to those of you that say, "Oh, Scarlet D, you hardly ever look at those displays anyway", I can tell you that the last thing I need is my display blurring up on me when I'm doing 250+ km/h up Eau Rouge or Flandre Scarlet forbid the second half of Okutama Grand Circuit. I already "depth of field" things as I need to; the worst thing a game developer can do in my opinion is FORCE me to depth of field ALL THE TIME, which is EXACTLY what Autosport's interior view does.

Cockpit instrumentation is important to me. If it doesn't work, I'm just going to play in chase view instead.

Stylistic choice? FINE! I knew of an anime where the artist just flat out did not draw the character's noses, and I was fine with that. But Grid Autosport is not an anime, it says it is a racing game about "authenticity" and "the race" and "competition".

Surely the main reason people wanted cockpit view back was to give the illusion of sitting in the car. Now that view is back are people really going to bitch about the low res textures of the dashboard? Time to move on and be happy that your favourite view is back in the game.

Can someone please explain why GRID 1 had nice enough and functional displays and mirrors for Touring Car events with 20 cars, or GT1 races with 12, but Autosport has to be all "Stylistic choice"!?
One would imagine because the physics and AI in Grid 1 were a whole lot simpler, so the hardware had a lot more time to do fancier cockpit rendering.

Surely the main reason people wanted cockpit view back was to give the illusion of sitting in the car. Now that view is back are people really going to bitch about the low res textures of the dashboard? Time to move on and be happy that your favourite view is back in the game.
If we wanted just simple cockpits, they can be modded in to the game like in the grid 2 cockpit mods. I just expect codemasters to do better. Like scarl3td3vil said here above : Grid Autosport claims to be about authenticity, the race and competition, so it needs to have detailed cockpits. I can understand that if the previous gen consoles cannot handle this, it's left out for them, but what about the PC version?????

DJ007 said:
When you're driving around town, how often do you really look at your dash?  Now drive around at 70+mph on a busy twisty stretch of motorway, how often do you look at your dash?  Now add more speed and imagine trying to overtake and defend as well, how often are you going to be looking at your dash?

Grid Autosport is all about the racing, not the piddling little engraving on the gear knob whilst your waiting on the grid - give me functional, immersive depth of field cockpits every day of the week.

You may not look at your dash but other people do. I prefer highly realistic dash like in SHIFT 2 for example, rather than this blurred screen thing. My eyes are creating the blur and the depth of field for me, I don't need the same effect recreated by the game, thanks.

What would be the best way of doing this is having the cockpit/steering wheel blurred out as it is at the moment, but having the ability to move the drivers head around and look at different things. So I could move the right stick down (xbox) to look at the steering wheel and then the steering wheel and all the info on the dash would come into focus while the track and everything else outside of a certain area would then get blurred out.

Obviously this would not get done in time now for Grid Autosport but for future games this would be a great way of doing it.

I quite like the new cockpit views - I'm very pleased to see a view which removes the steering and leaves the dash behind.

Bearing in mind that the game is meant for PS3/X360 there was no chance to claw back all of the graphics shine created in GRID 2 (by removing cockpit views) so blurry ones were the only way to go.

Personally I think I'll get used to them being out of focus, especially if the game provides good racing.

APR193 said:
What would be the best way of doing this is having the cockpit/steering wheel blurred out as it is at the moment, but having the ability to move the drivers head around and look at different things. So I could move the right stick down (xbox) to look at the steering wheel and then the steering wheel and all the info on the dash would come into focus while the track and everything else outside of a certain area would then get blurred out.
Sounds pretty horrible to me, I'm afraid. It's clunky and disorientating enough having to move the stick to glance left and right in some driving games (which is why most folk use the T-cam in F1 instead), without the hassle of looking up and down as well.

APR193 said:
Sounds pretty horrible to me, I'm afraid. It's clunky and disorientating enough having to move the stick to glance left and right in some driving games (which is why most folk use the T-cam in F1 instead), without the hassle of looking up and down as well.
It was meant more of a "If they are going to have the cockpits/dashes blurred out all the time do it like this" kind of thing. Personally I hate the blurred out cockpits, but it could be done a lot better as proven in NFS Shift. The blurred effects in Shift/Shift 2 were brilliant.

What bugs me the most about this blurred out thingy is it effects the mirror aswell.
And maybe I dont look that often to my dashboard but the mirrors I use so much.
If that doesn't work it is useless for me to use cockpit cam.
And if I cant use cockpit cam I see no reason why I should buy the game.

Leave it to codemasters to screw things up again.   :(

What bugs me the most about this blurred out thingy is it effects the mirror aswell.
And maybe I dont look that often to my dashboard but the mirrors I use so much.
If that doesn't work it is useless for me to use cockpit cam.
And if I cant use cockpit cam I see no reason why I should buy the game.

Leave it to codemasters to screw things up again.   :(
Exactly what I was thinking. I don't want to be constantly looking behind me to see if I have to be defensive into the next corner etc, and I definitely do not want those annoying little arrows popping up showing me where cars are around me. Getting more and more dissapointed with the more I see of this game. Was really looking forward to it when it was announced

I agree with you APR193.
I like almost everything I heard and seen so much.
And therefor when I heard that cockpit view was back I was very excited.
But if I need to use look back button to see what happens behind when I aproach a corner or leave a corner and therfor have no sight anymore to what happens infront of me it makes cockpit cam useless.

For me is seems very basic that when you implent cockpit cam in the game you also implent working mirrors and trackir support.
But that must be me I guess.  :D

Yeah, if the mirrors really aren't going to work (as seemed to be confirmed by CM on another thread), that's a much bigger loss than not being able to read the maker's name on the speedo.