Sign in to follow this  

I want to be reassure about the cockpit cam.

Well we know how much CM (and us fans to be fair) love their flashy graphics and their fireworks, helicopters etc so may be they don't want low res visuals in the mirrors to spoil the experience. Didn't Grid 1 have low res visuals displayed on the mirrors? It would be a shame if the mirrors don't work even if they are low res, at least on the console version, as the PC version on a decent machine would have no problem displaying high res visuals in the mirrors.

RobertKNL said:

I can't imagine a studio like Codemasters to mess up something that's promising to be the ultimate autosport game (that's what I'm seeing in the gameplay, trailers and news, and not what CM are actually saying) over something as important as dashboard information ...........

I couldn't have imagined a year ago that Codemasters would release a racing game without a cockpit. 

BUT THEY DID 

The fact that there is no confirmation from Codemasters in this topic says enough on its own. 
Expect cockpits like in the Grid 2 cockpit mods.  I drove Grid 2 yesterday with the cockpit mod enabled. The blurred version just hurts my eyes. Normal version is much better, but the difference between incar graphics and graphics on the track is shocking. 

Perhaps we will see a Grid Autosport 2  next year to correct that mistake :)

Surely the main reason people wanted cockpit view back was to give the illusion of sitting in the car. Now that view is back are people really going to bitch about the low res textures of the dashboard? Time to move on and be happy that your favourite view is back in the game.
.... I can't begun to explain you how just ignorant you are. Seriously, if I wanted a poor quality cockpit, I would have just waited for moders to do the same thing they did in Grid 2.

DJ007 said:
When you're driving around town, how often do you really look at your dash?  Now drive around at 70+mph on a busy twisty stretch of motorway, how often do you look at your dash?  Now add more speed and imagine trying to overtake and defend as well, how often are you going to be looking at your dash?

Grid Autosport is all about the racing, not the piddling little engraving on the gear knob whilst your waiting on the grid - give me functional, immersive depth of field cockpits every day of the week.
Yeah how about we always excuse everything ! a car is a also a cockpit, I like to have a quality cockpit ! and what a poor comparison or reasoning for that matter... Sorry but at 130-140 on the highway nothing is blurred out when I drive... and when I am in the city at 30 to 50  (just in case, I talk km/h) I have no idea where the blur takes place... In any case my eyes would take care of any seight elements, I don't want a game to simulate anything apart from quality details and texture. It's so sad how a lot of you just defend this... ffs. I will repeat myself again, if I wanted low res cockpit, I would have waited for moders to do the same thing they did in Grid 2 !

30K said:
My eyes are creating the blur and the depth of field for me, I don't need the same effect recreated by the game, thanks.

Er, no.  You're looking a flat screen set a fixed distance in front of your eyeballs.  I politely recommend you go see an optometrist if your eyeball's create blur and the illusion of DoF for you - that's worrying! :-B

I agree with 30K on motion blur.  In GRID I turned off motion blur after playing years with it on.  The artificial blur is gone, but when I'm in a close race with several hazards in the vicinity and driving as fast as I dare, I get a self-generated blur effect and sometimes a degree of tunnel vision.  And I quite commonly in a close race find myself bobbing and weaving and leaning in my chair - and I don't use FFB at all.  I think these things probably vary quite a bit between individuals, but for me the game's motion blur detracts from the immersion rather than adding to it.  The best thing for motion blur is to have it on an on/off toggle.  To each his own.

Frank
PC/keyboard, offline single player.
Member, 95% club.

RubyRuby said:
I agree with 30K on motion blur.  In GRID I turned off motion blur after playing years with it on.  The artificial blur is gone, but when I'm in a close race with several hazards in the vicinity and driving as fast as I dare, I get a self-generated blur effect and sometimes a degree of tunnel vision.  And I quite commonly in a close race find myself bobbing and weaving and leaning in my chair - and I don't use FFB at all.  I think these things probably vary quite a bit between individuals, but for me the game's motion blur detracts from the immersion rather than adding to it.  The best thing for motion blur is to have it on an on/off toggle.  To each his own.

Frank
Member, 95% club.
Agreed with some games I feel that too

Just to be clear, I checked out the cockpit view in GRID last night (don't usually use it) and at SP in the Lacetti it has working side mirrors that display the blind spots on each side, but you still need to use the look back button to see directly behind.

Frank

Uh actually you have a rear view mirror but for some reason they hide it when looking straight forward.
But when using trackir you can use the rear view mirror.

Btw. I just reinstalled winodws and I cant set my resolution higher then 1200.
Now I forgot which file to edit to be able to set it on 1920x1200 again.
Anybody remember which file that was?

Edit:   Found it.  :D

To each his own.

Frank
Member, 95% club.
I could not agree more Frank, horses for courses, and the more settings/lobby options the better.  [-O<

Edit: Also, had I not read somewhere that the DoF only kicks in at high speed to increase the illusion of speed, and that your dash 'un-blurs' at corner entry with lower speeds?  Or perhaps i've just bandied the notion around with someone... :-/

The depth of field I notice is just what is provided, I presume, by post processing:  the haziness that increases with distance.  I haven't noticed any changes to it with speed.  And it has been so long since I played with motion blur that I don't really recall all the details.  I at first turned off motion blur to get better screen shots, but quickly decided to leave it off all the time.

Frank

On cockpit cam :

I dont believe cockpit cam shows you a real driver position. Unless you have a massive telly and sit 1 inch from the screen. The real view cam is halfway between bonnet cam and cockpit cam. You need to include some cockpit, but so little it becomes practically useless. I can understand why codies feel that if only 5% use cockpit cam then they may question the value of it.

On mirrors :

This is far far more important to me that the cockpit cam issue. Firstly, I think that mirrors should be available in all views apart from far behind mode. It frustrates me if I can see the mirrors available in cockpit cam but can't use them in T cam or bonnet cam, or at least have a facility to toggle. The only place where you might argue they are less necessary is from the behind view.

Secondly, mirrors add a lot to the race. Being able to use the mirrors and know where the position of the opponent is is very important. The arrows help, but mirrors are better, even in lo-fi mode. In touring car mirrors are very important, because there are a lot of overtaking and close battles. If it is all about the race then the mirrors add an extra dimenison, and allow the skilled user to learn extra to improve their position against others. For example if you see someone coming up behind too fast on a corner, maybe they go on the inside. If you can judge the speed just move out the way and they go off the track without smashing into you. 

OK, so are mirrors in GA ? I don't know. I guess the graphics are pushed and that there may not be enough room for mirrors in GA, or maybe it is too late in the day. But I say to codemasters think hard about mirrors, especially for next gen consoles, because I think for racing mirrors are much more wworthwhile than slight increases in graphics resolution.

For the mirror part, I think the work around that issue with the small white arrows that point out where your opponent is when there is another car behind you. That together with the "look back" function solves the mirror-issue for me.

DJ007 said:
To each his own.

Frank
Member, 95% club.
I could not agree more Frank, horses for courses, and the more settings/lobby options the better.  [-O<

Edit: Also, had I not read somewhere that the DoF only kicks in at high speed to increase the illusion of speed, and that your dash 'un-blurs' at corner entry with lower speeds?  Or perhaps i've just bandied the notion around with someone... :-/

RubyRuby said:
The depth of field I notice is just what is provided, I presume, by post processing:  the haziness that increases with distance.  I haven't noticed any changes to it with speed.  And it has been so long since I played with motion blur that I don't really recall all the details.  I at first turned off motion blur to get better screen shots, but quickly decided to leave it off all the time.

Frank
Actually one of the first things i noticed when i watched the first kinda gameplay was that, yes it seems to kinda reduce the blur at low speeds, check it @ 1m 17s if it doesnt direct link.

http://youtu.be/uC8jFfM6FfA?t=1m17s

Practice and quali, but no pit stops... It surely not impossible to have pitstops. There sister dev team (f1 games) have got pit stops very nicely nailed. So why not tap in that to bring it to Grid Autosport... it baffles me.

About the cockpit I try not to be sceptic and wait for an official confirmation, but since they are still not talking about it, my expectation is very low...

Tr3voRR said:
Practice and quali, but no pit stops... It surely not impossible to have pitstops. There sister dev team (f1 games) have got pit stops very nicely nailed. So why not tap in that to bring it to Grid Autosport... it baffles me.

About the cockpit I try not to be sceptic and wait for an official confirmation, but since they are still not talking about it, my expectation is very low...
In the formula one games races can go for 50+ laps, even endurance races in this game are nowhere near that length.

Andi said:
Tr3voRR said:

In the formula one games races can go for 50+ laps, even endurance races in this game are nowhere near that length.
Well in grid 1 they had LeMans type race, if that's present in this one it would make since to have pit stops. If they only have short race like WTCC or touring in general I guess yeah you don't really need pit stops. If they offer anything higher than 35 laps, you would definitely need pit stops and if not than I understand.

To be honest I am more concern about the cockpit, may be weird for some, but I like quality cockpit, for me this will determine if I make a purchase or not. It's very odd, because the F3 cockpit looks detailed and next to that they show the audi cockpit with zero detail. I wish they made some clarifications.

Just to check as I had no idea....there isn't even going to be a 'virtual' mirror?.
Yes it's very fishy :/, you would think cockpit would be one of the stuff they showcase 1st with this game, since they took it out in Grid 2 and we all wanted cockpit.

this is the cockpit view graphics from the upcoming free to play game of an other british devs , the slightly mad studios..  8-}        

Why codemasters have not such a quality in cockpit view..?? I would be happy even with Grid 1 - DIRT 2-3 quality of cockpit graphics.. 8-|
I hope the cockpit view to looks better in final version of GAS... :-??

Because CM are using a last-gen graphics engine to make a game for 9-year-old hardware. That means trade-offs, so you either can have great racing, or you can have a fancy cockpit view. I know which I'd rather have.

Because CM are using a last-gen graphics engine to make a game for 9-year-old hardware. That means trade-offs, so you either can have great racing, or you can have a fancy cockpit view. I know which I'd rather have.
exactly you can only have one or the other reallybesieds the graphics engine they do use is hardly a bad engine it just doesn't seem to support both very well once they move onto the next gen systems that may change

exactly you can only have one or the other reallybesieds the graphics engine they do use is hardly a bad engine it just doesn't seem to support both very well once they move onto the next gen systems that may change
Are you guys freaking serious ? what kind of sorry excuse are you making up ? Grid 1 is much older and it had good cockpit ! Forza got 700 cars all with unique cockpit, forza horizon a open world with over 200 cars have got unique cockpit. What's the matter with you guys... do you just accept any shit given to you ? you never expect the most possible !? Shift 1 and 2 had amazing cockpits (bad driving, but great graphics) and Grand Turismo, etc etc all on X360 and PS3. So please stop with your sorry ass excuse of 9year old hardware blabla

This is what CM had to say.
[quote]Something that’ll come as a big disappointment to many, though, is the in-cockpit view. It was absent in Grid 2 and is back for Autosport, but not how you might want it. The developers say that it was a relatively late addition to the game, and as such, there hasn’t been time to sort out proper textures for all the different cars before release, leaving you with a blurred out dashboard and steering wheel.[/quote]

Tr3voRR said:

Are you guys freaking serious ? what kind of sorry excuse are you making up ? Grid 1 is much older and it had good cockpit ! Forza got 700 cars all with unique cockpit, forza horizon a open world with over 200 cars have got unique cockpit. What's the matter with you guys... do you just accept any shit given to you ? you never expect the most possible !? Shift 1 and 2 had amazing cockpits (bad driving, but great graphics) and Grand Turismo, etc etc all on X360 and PS3. So please stop with your sorry ass excuse of 9year old hardware blabla
Those games use different engines though