Something seriously wrong with car performance (Career)

Has anybody else noticed nonsense car performance in career mode. I'm racing for McLaren who are 4th in the performance ranking. I have the difficulty set to be about level with my team mate Sainz. We are both regularly struggling to get into Q2 across the first 5 tracks of the season. This should not be the case across a variety of tracks and the performance we apparently have.

Racing Point are regularly qualifying 5th-8th and finishing in 3rd-5th despite having a lower performance rating. It doesn't make any sense!

The only thing I can guess at is that the 'Power' rating is having a much much larger effect than the chassis or downforce and the ranking system is just wrong. 

I think the AI get a bonus for a cars handling so cars that have good engines will benefit more than cars that have less powerful engines

I think McLaren is still being plagued by a high drag penalty that carried over from 2018.  In my first interation of career mode Sainz and Norris qualified 16th and 18th respectively.  In the second after the performance and handling adjustments they still got knocked out in q1.  Also it’s no secret that the game puts a mega premium on engine power either that or the engines are much much closer in performance IRL than what’s represented in the game.  Downforce plays a lot less of a role in lap times in game than in real life.  This is evident by how Racing Point and Williams to some extent in certain tracks qualify and finish much higher than IRL, when those two have one of the worst aero and chassis departments in game.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

That all makes sense but it would mean that the team ranking graph is way off and that's the order is incorrect. Racing point shouldn't be anywhere near as good as they are. They still seem to have some crazy straight line speed advantage. Coupled with Mclarens drag issue, that doesn't exist in real life anymore, it means the team order isn't correct. 

Edited by SASColfer

1 hour ago, SASColfer said:

That all makes sense but it would mean that the team ranking graph is way off and that's the order is incorrect. Racing point shouldn't be anywhere near as good as they are. They still seem to have some crazy straight line speed advantage. Coupled with Mclarens drag issue, that doesn't exist in real life anymore, it means the team order isn't correct. 

This is an interesting one to see you guys write about. In my own career mode McLaren came out of the blocks really strongly before slipping back whilst other teams developed around them. I definitely don't see McLaren's in my game having any issues with straight line speed, they were easily matching me in a Renault in Austria with only 2 upgrades each in aero and power unit. I also had my AI set so that I was basically even with my teammate.

Since then I've thrown on a couple of major aero upgrades and they've made a massive difference. Dunno if the impact of engine development is the same but maybe this relates to the performance update in 1.06 where they tweaked each teams car performance to more accurately reflect the strengths and weaknesses of the real world car?

In career its mostly down to development path. The rankings give a base, but do not show individual department increases. Especially by season 2 onwards the development race feels like it changes from week to week