Posted (edited)

Depends what you call an F1 game, but probably the unplayably-hard 3D Grand Prix on the ZX81 (1983). Chequered Flag on the ZX Spectrum (1983) used licence-dodging cars and a handful of real circuits, but it was time-trial only. Nigel Mansell's Grand Prix on the Spectrum (1988) went one better with one licensed car and driver and a full 16-race season on the real circuits. After that, Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix (1991) on the Amiga took it to another level, and the rest is history...

Honourable mention to CRL's Formula One on the Spectrum (1985): possibly the first ever F1 management game, a grid of real (though presumably not officially-licensed) cars, tracks, and drivers, and a pretty good effort for its day.

Edited by scottishwildcat

33 minutes ago, scottishwildcat said:

Depends what you call an F1 game, but probably the unplayably-hard 3D Grand Prix on the ZX81 (1983). Chequered Flag on the ZX Spectrum (1983) used licence-dodging cars and a handful of real circuits, but it was time-trial only. Nigel Mansell's Grand Prix on the Spectrum (1988) went one better with one licensed car and driver and a full 16-race season on the real circuits. After that, Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix (1991) on the Amiga took it to another level, and the rest is history...

Honourable mention to CRL's Formula One on the Spectrum (1985): possibly the first ever F1 management game, a grid of real (though presumably not officially-licensed) cars, tracks, and drivers, and a pretty good effort for its day.

Cheers wildcat I don't feel as old as I did before I read you're post I was only born in 82 I do remember owning a spectrum 128k though i must of been around 9 or 10 maybe a bit younger.

• Haha 1

Ayrton senna's super Monaco grand Prix 2 on the megadrive.

The best F1 game I ever played was Geoff Crammond grand Prix 4. If you never played it you don't know what you missed. Was leagues ahead of something like F1 97

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Dunky1980 said:

The best F1 game I ever played was Geoff Crammond grand Prix 4. If you never played it you don't know what you missed. Was leagues ahead of something like F1 97

Concur 👍. Geoff Crammond and his F1 Games were years ahead of his time. His games really got me hooked into F1.

The only problem I had with Grand Prix 4 back then, was that the game sucked every ounce of power out of my computer, and I had to play on "Low" graphics (get rid of extra track effects like grandstands, trees, spectators etc. So I only had cars on a track) to get it to work properly. I still loved it though.

PS: I just remembered that I had to use the Keyboard to drive the F1 car 😁

Edited by Marty_K_
  • Agree 1

@FRACTURED that was my first games as well.  Man I played that for several years finally stopping in 1996.  Loved that game.

Mine was  GP2 and then GP4
No F1 Game ever matched to these both.

Look at the possibilites of car failures in GP2 ..  amazing!

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Dunky1980 said:

The best F1 game I ever played was Geoff Crammond grand Prix 4. If you never played it you don't know what you missed.

Well, what you missed for the first few months was an incredibly buggy game, even by Codemasters standards. Took them about 6 months to patch out the worst of them, but it was really the modding community that kept it playable after that.

Edited by scottishwildcat

Anyone remember Grand Prix Manager 2. I recently played motorsport manager and what amazed me was that this modern game was almost identical to the old GPM2 literally nothing different feature wise just an upgrade in graphics. 

Formula 1 for the original PlayStation. I had bought a football game that disappointed me and exchanged it for Formula 1, I don't really remember why as I wasn't an F1 fan at the time. This game turned me into one, though.

I was gonna say it was F1 2002 on the PS2 but I remember I had this gem of a game for the Mega Drive before that!

220px-Ayrton_Senna's_Super_Monaco_GP_II_Coverart.png

Geoff Crammond's GP world circuit in 1992 on the pc. I failed exams because of it 🙂

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, scottishwildcat said:

Well, what you missed for the first few months was an incredibly buggy game, even by Codemasters standards. Took them about 6 months to patch out the worst of them, but it was really the modding community that kept it playable after that.

Yeah that is so true. I remember having just about every season modded from 94 all the way up to 2007 I think. All the tracks. the performance matched how the cars did at each track, correct drivers were swapped in and out at the correct races. It was just far superior in most ways Altho game modes were obviously limited to what we have these days. 

Geoff Crammond Grand Prix, the first game, on Amiga. Was my first coop experience too after a fashion (before Sensible Soccer!). Basically me and a friend would race full length races taking it in turns to race. Not sure how it worked as was so long ago but I'm sure you could let the ai drive for you when you pitted or vice versa so we'd switch cars and drive 10 or so laps each time before switching. It's possible we took it in turns on the same car but I doubt it as we were so competitive! 

I used the classic amiga joystick to drive while my friend insisted on using the keyboard. 

• Agree 1

Me and a mate used to link our ps 1 together hooked upto two tv''s back to back and race each other in f1 97 career mode there was split screen but it was horrendous.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
On 8/4/2019 at 11:17 AM, AvengerGR35 said:

I think it was F1 2006 

yeah mine too mcdvoice

Edited by gandrew