Jump to content Jump to content

Season 3 content

Sith Metal

They're waiting for enough threads to be created asking about it.

Season 2 was announced 4 days before the end of Season 1, so soon now probably. Then again, this time it wouldn't surprise me if they were waiting to tie it in with the surely-incoming-soon VR announcement.

This week would seem possible, Friday would be 4 days before the end of Season 2.

I think that in season 3 I could see the rally of Finland, Greece or an interesting addition.  More livery even those official rally from private teams.  Well, a few new cars from the R group, such as those existing in AP4 and do not require ... FIA homologation at last!  Maybe in the end some Toyota will arrive?

The chance of Toyota is marginally below the game suddenly acquiring the WRC licence.

I would suggest anyone hoping for more than one rally location reign in their hopes. Sure, it’s possible, but there are far more obvious RX locations to add than rally ones (unfortunately IMO) so it would be amiss to expect something similar to DLC Season 1.

53 minutes ago, RodgerDavies said:

I would suggest anyone hoping for more than one rally location reign in their hopes. Sure, it’s possible, but there are far more obvious RX locations to add than rally ones (unfortunately IMO) so it would be amiss to expect something similar to DLC Season 1.

Yeah. Realistically I am thinking (assuming that further seasons follow the same pattern) one rally and two rallycross locations per future season. 

With just two rallycross tracks to go to complete the 2018 calendar, CotA and Killarney would seem the logical choice for season 3, plus either Greece or FInland from DR. 

The other rally location in Season 4, then a couple more RX tracks: perhaps Lydden and maybe one of the 2019 circuits? (hopefully Spa) That could pave the way for more 2019 circuits beyond that...

...however I'd love the above to be proven wrong and to see a new rally location in season 3 or 4!

19 minutes ago, Jacendb said:

I wouldn't mind a track generator like in D4 but with more variability in tiles. That would make clubs more interesting.

Whilst it would do that, I believe Paul mentioned that 20km of 'tiles' takes about 3x the amount of work as 20km of hand-made (someone correct me if that's wrong), so personally I'd rather see the larger quantity of hand-made content until they've a more efficient way to tile locations.

I don't think tiles are the good way to create rally tracks.

Better use random landscape generator (or based on real map data), then set the roads on it on a procedural way.
Eventually polish the result by hand if needed.

Fuel used real map data, then the biomes and the roads have been set on a procedural way. The result wasn't bad, but I think it's possible to do even better with recent technology.

3 hours ago, toninus said:

I don't think tiles are the good way to create rally tracks.

Better use random landscape generator (or based on real map data), then set the roads on it on a procedural way.
Eventually polish the result by hand if needed.

Fuel used real map data, then the biomes and the roads have been set on a procedural way. The result wasn't bad, but I think it's possible to do even better with recent technology.

I have suggested something similar here and elsewhere a couple times. And you are correct that procedural generation would need some hand - crafting for the pace notes which is the critical issue here. 

But if you look at what Gravel and Dakar 18 did with Unreal Engine's native topography import tool from satellite data, if a dev used this tech to create rally stages, we could get to the point where both devs and users are constantly adding rally content. 

Let's say CM developed tech that allows you to click on two defined points of a road in Google Maps and that road was generated in-game based on Google Earth topography data. CM goes in, adds some trees and other things native to the area, and viola, we have another stage. 

Granted, these stages would be very lacking in character since we can't expect devs to faithfully reproduce any environment in the world on a whim. But wouldn't it be awesome to get a "stage of the week" using something like that? 

Or just go the Little Big Planet route and develop a stage creator for the users. We create, we browse, we like, we download, we play. Pace notes and all. User-created and user-rated. 

I'm saying this because I am already bored of DR1, DR2.0, WRC7 and SLRE stages. 

They already have the tech though. I reckon it'd be easier to adapt it to this title than to write a new stage generator from scratch. I'd love to have YourStage now, complementing the current stages.

Also would add more challenge to the dailies!

Archived