Help needed - No assists

I play with a PS4 pad and I really am trying to nail no assists and I keep dabbling but getting too frustrated to persevere. I’ve been using manual gears for years, the racing line is permanently off now, and all other assists are off apart from TC (which I usually use Medium) and ABS.  No TC I am slowing getting the hang of, but no ABS is just the DEVIL!

i know the process of breaking, in a straight line, maximum pressure on the brakes initially and then slowly ease off, but I just cannot get the hang of this. Don’t think I have got around a single corner that I have to properly brake for, without locking up. And any turns that that you have to brake and turn, like Bahrain T9/10 well, forget it - immediate lock up as soon as I even touch the brakes, and go straight on.

Anyone have any tips? Like is it worth lowering the linearity/saturation of the brake trigger? Is there something I can change on my set up which will help?

Please god someone help me! 😩

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I use standard settings for the pad and the wheel, no changes to linearity/saturation, everything at default as the default settings for input devices are decent.

The only thing i changed is the FFB on the wheel and of course the button mapping for both the pad and wheel respectively.

Car setup has a bigger impact on braking imo.

My brakes are always at 92% brake pressure and the brake bias is dialed in between 58% - 52%.

For Turn 9/10 at Bahrain, i start braking once the kerbs on the left start with around 40% brake input applied and slowly go off the brakes before turning, basically i use a line where my car gets more time to be straightened up for maximum brake efficiency before turning in to the left hander, reducing the chance of a nasty lock up.

Bahrain brake pressure is, as stated above, 92%, brake bias at 54% for Turn 9/10 only, for the rest of the track i use 58% brake bias.

At Monaco or Singapore i use 52% brake bias.

At the end it comes down to getting your feeling right and obviously your driving style, me personally, i usually have very small brake distances due to the higher brake pressure and like to get my braking done before turning into a corner, but some people like to do the braking even whilst turning.

If you keep locking up, try lower brake pressures, but don't go below 82% as anything lower than that makes the travel distance too long, also try using a lower brake bias value e.g. 54% - 52%.

Practicing with flashbacks on for problematic corners is the way to go, rinse and repeat until you get the hang of it.

Edited by SturmDesTodes
Spelling error

As @SturmDesTodes mentioned the key in your case I believe is brake pressure. When I first turned ABS off I was locking up all the time until I dialed the pressure down to a lowly 67. Yes thats very low but it's better than locking up! Then I went out and did full career weekends with no problems. I was finding each successive race I was able to raise the pressure a few points at a time as my muscle memory got more used to the brake procedure. Eventually on some tracks like Mexico I was actually able to use 100! Might have taken me a few seasons but I was very proud. A figure around 90 or just above is the sweet spot for most tracks. You might not be able to get that high with a pad but I wish you success learning this cool skill! 

• Like 1

Do what sloppymusic said and turn down the brake pressure to between 65-70 everywhere. Second, commit to like a 2 week learning period to where you're just going to stick it out no matter what. And third, don't try to drive as fast as possible right away or on day one. Go to your favorite track in time trial and just drive laps at like 85% of full speed. Just get comfortable. Walk away for a bit. Come back and do it again. And then slowly pick up the pace by gradually braking harder and later. The trap that people often fall in is that they'll drive slow for like 2-3 laps and then go for hammertime. Then inevitably they'll fail/crash/spin and want to give up. During the second week and probably closer to the end of it. Gradually increase the brake pressure setting. You'll find that you'll grow and learn much faster this way and it'll be a hell of a lot less frustrating. They always said "Rome wasn't built in day..."

Try change brake pressure and bias, i struggle sometimes on a pad without abs but usually putting the bias to the rear like 58-56 is usually good.