Why F1 2019 career sucks

In its current state the career mode is pretty much unplayable.

• Agree 1

TOM97s youtube career is a good example of this. He's in Ferrari and every race his team falls further down the order. Ditto with Red Bull (my team)  in my career.

• Agree 1

I might just not be far enough along in my playthrough, but I haven't experienced any of the issues with AI R&D pace. I'm in season 2 and whilst the gaps have closed down a bit and a rules reset screwed Mercedes over by the looks of it, the rest of the field is not totally unrealistic with regards to where everyone started. Maybe it'll get worse as I go on, will have to wait and see.

I get the complaints about the driver swaps if you're into the realism on that front. I personally don't really mind and actually find it entertaining that mid-season I now have Gasly in a McLaren and Sainz stealing Stroll's seat at Racing Point (sorry Stroll Sr!). But I totally get that it would be a better experience for some if the feature were able to be toggled. Or even an option to only have them happen in between seasons.

i don't really get the difficulty spikes either. Definitely have found some circuits tougher to get up to speed on than others but nothing that jumped out as unfair. I dunno, I don't mind pounding around in practice sessions so maybe I'm just fine with taking my time. 

The wet weather AI though is 100% solid gold ******** though. Every time it rains, I may as well just quit the session. The only way to even come close is to chuck on full traction control and ABS and even then it's a struggle. Definite;y balancing needed there.

• Like 1

On 8/7/2019 at 7:19 PM, HDR10 said:

I never understood why people are so obsessed with career mode. I've never played career mode in an F1 game.

Championship mode is where it's at.

Coop championship mode you mean? they traded it in for leagues and stupid skins we never asked for. Cannot even play a championship with my friends anymore. This game is a mess.  

it is all copy paste bugs from years back. Copy paste stuff from years back. Nothing new at all. 

They dont even care they got you money and will copy paste the game for next season and steal you money again. 

Done with codemasters. 

On 8/7/2019 at 6:19 PM, HDR10 said:

I never understood why people are so obsessed with career mode. I've never played career mode in an F1 game.

Championship mode is where it's at.

Only problem is, you don’t get to experience managing your engines and gear boxes across the season and this kinda ruins things as it’s such a major part of F1. If they included this then yes it would he great taking charge of an actual driver. 

I think a lot of peoples misery would be helped if they played in Championship mode rather than Career mode. Just sayin'.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rinehart27 said:

I think a lot of peoples misery would be helped if they played in Championship mode rather than Career mode. Just sayin'.

I'm definitely considering it. Since 1.06 on PS4, even the frame rate during career races is terrible compared to other game modes. 

Well I just stopped playing after Bahrain quali.... 

I'll play again once they've updated the performance of the cars. It's utter nonsense IRL they're stomping on the throttle mid corner and I can't even put my big toe on the throttle in the first 2 corners in Bahrain without spinning out. Seriously I loose about 0.3 to 0.5 seconds in the first 2 corners alone because I can;t get the power down (and yes I tried different setups, spent an entire afternoon trying every different setting and it's the same for all of them). Nevermind the laptimes that are 1-2 sec slower than IRL..

On 8/7/2019 at 8:13 PM, AllenB2609 said:

If you want to lose yout longtime customers and supporters just continue to ignore the real issues this game has had since release. 👍🏼 Great job.

What's funny about is that, no, the game most likely won't lose the playerbase as people rarely stop buying the game for some reason 😛 I know people who keep buying the new game even though they keep complaining about it every second.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

@UP100 I am usually one of the complainers who buys but this year I held off. I DO NOT believe game reviews anymore who casually place 2 races or something any real F1 enthusiast that plays a few seasons would see the problems with career.

Sadly the forums kind of made me not even want to consider the game anymore as career is all I play and it seems broken or really badly done. Think development in 2018 was fine why mess about with it!

Driver transfers have been left to a random generator it seems rather than having a proper contract system. What kind of driver signs a contract and is allowed to leave after 4 races. 5 time champ decided after being in the lead of the championship for first 8 races he will jump to renault why?

So there is some of us that are not just buying anymore because we know finally that we cannot just hand codies 50 quid for a badly developed game.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

11 hours ago, Worntoathread said:

I'm definitely considering it. Since 1.06 on PS4, even the frame rate during career races is terrible compared to other game modes. 

Is it really that bad??? I know so many people have complained about this but I havnt noticed any difference? Or maybe I’m just blind to it? It all seems to play the same to me. 

yeah difficulty spikes are ridiculous...

I've just had race weekend in China (season 4) and I lost to my teammate on pole almost a second!!!!! ON 100% AI

I went to Grand Prix mode, set the AI to 103% and picked Ferrari. First crappy run in short quals and I've managed qualify P3 with 0.150s gap to the Merc on pole xD 

BUT SOMEHOW I LOST ALMOST A SECOND TO POLE IN A MAXED OUT FERRARI ON 100% AI - sums up fckn career mode after Season 1.

1 hour ago, AdamFreeman said:

@UP100 I am usually one of the complainers who buys but this year I held off. I DO NOT believe game reviews anymore who casually place 2 races or something any real F1 enthusiast that plays a few seasons would see the problems with career.

Sadly the forums kind of made me not even want to consider the game anymore as career is all I play and it seems broken or really badly done. Think development in 2018 was fine why mess about with it!

Driver transfers have been left to a random generator it seems rather than having a proper contract system. What kind of driver signs a contract and is allowed to leave after 4 races. 5 time champ decided after being in the lead of the championship for first 8 races he will jump to renault why?

So there is some of us that are not just buying anymore because we know finally that we cannot just hand codies 50 quid for a badly developed game.

Ditto. I'm going by what peeps are saying on here. I'll buy 2nd hand and atm I'm more interested in Championship mode and it's more F2 that's getting me buzzing!

The AI were great in the beta and I hear that's now been nerfed a bit, a whole mode seems to have a massive mechanic faulty AF (career - R&D, transfers) and MP sounds like destruction derby! Not massively appealing atm.

9 hours ago, AdamFreeman said:

I am not one of the complainers and I held off as well 😛 Well for me the reason is just that the vehicle physics, even though improving!, feel a bit eh to me. It's strange how even GRID games has more easy to spin cars at times. Well definitely one thing I will never do is to listen to what this community has said about specific stuff as it's been proven wrong at times.

For example the EGO 4.0 vs EGO 3 fight which was community against Codies. No one for some strange reason didn't want to believe that the media had got it wrong and Codies know it as 3 instead of 4 😛 It is still listed in the F1 2019 wikipedia as "EGO Engine 4.0"...

On 8/8/2019 at 7:13 PM, PipsAhoy said:

Every time it rains, I may as well just quit the session.

HAHA! Exactly same for me. I am a very experienced driver and I still can't come even close to matching the ridiculous wet pace of the AI in career when using difficulty level 100. In the dry, no problem at all. Medium traction. 

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, ZTheLightningZ said:

HAHA! Exactly same for me. I am a very experienced driver and I still can't come even close to matching the ridiculous wet pace of the AI in career when using difficulty level 100. In the dry, no problem at all. Medium traction. 

Haha yep, same here! After a corner the first few meters are ok...but when i reach 3rd gear, i notice some powerdump or strange traction. And then i got catched by the rest and drive dead last! Balance is totally of there.

On 8/9/2019 at 10:24 AM, Worntoathread said:

Have you tried turning off UDP telemetry in your game settings? Fixed it for me. 

Obviously this is less helpful if you use a second screen, but at least it makes Career Mode more playable.

14 minutes ago, rob88henderson said:

Have you tried turning off UDP telemetry in your game settings? Fixed it for me. 

Obviously this is less helpful if you use a second screen, but at least it makes Career Mode more playable.

Thanks, yeah that worked for me before, but the issue has gotten better with 1.07 so I've turned it back on again, because I do drive with a dash on my wheel. The frame rate is now fine during practice and qualifying, but in races it gets worse as you progress. Some tracks worse than others, but occasionally it's near unplayable sadly.

• Agree 1

Is it amusing that a lot of people are complaining about the AI R&D pace and I am finding the game more enjoyable this year because of the challenge that the R&D pace presents? Feels like the upgrade decisions you make are that much more important now.

That said it might be a good idea to have an R&D pace slider to give the R&D a difficulty setting so to speak.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Zachrulez said:

Is it amusing that a lot of people are complaining about the AI R&D pace and I am finding the game more enjoyable this year because of the challenge that the R&D pace presents? Feels like the upgrade decisions you make are that much more important now.

That said it might be a good idea to have an R&D pace slider to give the R&D a difficulty setting so to speak.

I also like it to be challenging, but not impossible. Right now I can do every practice program purple, invest everything in performance and the lower teams will catch up, pass me and be far ahead before the end of one season.

Here's my season 2, I'm in the Mercedes. The red top team is not Ferrari but Alfa Romeo, who started the season 7th.

20190815_150641.thumb.jpg.e6e6e74f06abc0ea2dd015e32817f2d5.jpg

Edited by Worntoathread

Posted (edited)

Yeah it just isn't playable. I'm red bull in my second season. I've aced every single practice session and I'm still way behind. After Mexico I did an ultimate upgrade in both aero and engine thinking this would allow me to overtake the 9th slowest team (ferrari). The upgrades wont actually come in till Australia yet I'm still behind Ferrari as the slowest team even when they do come in. It's a joke. The career mode is unplayable unless you change team every season. I'm gonna stop playing and hope they fix it. If they never do I'll stick it on Ebay.

Edited by 1henryw
Typos

@Faya Can you confirm whether this will be fixed or not? Quite a few people have put their games on hold. Can you give us a rough time frame?

Say-

Complicated issue that wont be fixed.

Or

We are working on it but realistically it could be another month or so.

Or 

Will be fixed very soon with a patch, next few days.

Etc

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, 1henryw said:

@Faya Can you confirm whether this will be fixed or not? Quite a few people have put their games on hold. Can you give us a rough time frame?

Say-

Complicated issue that wont be fixed.

Or

We are working on it but realistically it could be another month or so.

Or 

Will be fixed very soon with a patch, next few days.

Etc

This. The lack of transparency from CM is what bothers me the most. I'd like to start a career with 50% or 100% races and work my way up from a lower team etc, but only if the driver transfers and AI R&D issues are fixed.

But if CM would just tell they can't fix it I might start a career with shorter races and lower AI difficulty and treat it more as an arcade game. But not knowing what to expect just feels like wasting time. 

On 8/15/2019 at 11:37 PM, Zachrulez said:

I don’t mind a challenge. I don’t mind if I can’t catch up with AI in one season. What I do mind is that a team starting 8th can be 1st by race 11 in the season. It’s highly unrealistic.

Just make the updates more expensive or points for the weekend less and I’m happy

• Like 1