VR, DirtFish & Patch Notes: Version 1.7 of DiRT Rally 2.0

40 minutes ago, prl1862 said:

I'd like to know the answer to this too. I bought the Steam version on release and will be very unhappy if the native Oculus support is only available in the version bought through the Oculus store. Looking at the program folder, there is only openvr_api.dll and there are no options within Steam to specify the type of VR to use. I have a Rift S attached to a PC with a 1080Ti and a 9700K at 5.2GHz. Even with all the graphics options set to low I am getting terrible performance.

Same here, wish I had native oculus support but despite the mirror showing a solid 40-50 FPS the graphics settings barely change anything in terms of performance for me and at times it feels like 20fps or less inside the headset and then for a few seconds its smooth again. Not stuttery just feels like the fps fluctuates heavily towards the lower side. 

22 minutes ago, MTOJay said:

hey @Jake Cushing whats your hardware? whats your vr headset? and what version are you running ( steam vr or oculus home)?

Xbox One X.

No VR. But total buy!!

2 hours ago, PJTierney said:

That content will come in the future.

Make sure you guys arrange a tidy Season Pass to help net in some nice cash like the Deluxe. Actually, two season passes:

One for the Season 3 and 4 and another one for everything.

13 minutes ago, Riggs said:

Make sure you guys arrange a tidy Season Pass to help net in some nice cash like the Deluxe. Actually, two season passes:

One for the Season 3 and 4 and another one for everything.

For a moment I thought you would say "and another one for season 5 & 6" 😄

I would buy it, though.

Since FM7 and FH4 are pretty garbage the way they are now, I pretty much play only 3 games since almost half a year now with around 80% of it being DR2.0. So can't really be enough content to be added for me.

On 8/8/2019 at 3:15 PM, bbbwww said:

@PJTierney

Could you please clarify the following questions with the devs as this seems to be important for a lot of people:

1. Was VR implemented with both native OculusVR and SteamVR/OpenVR or only one? (though Oculus Store availability suggests both)
2. If yes, are both store versions shipped with both each? Or does the Oculus Store version only ship with native OculusVR support (and the same for the steam version)?
3. If yes, can the user decide which mode to use by using a command line param for example?
4. Can Oculus Store players compete online with Steam Version Players?

1. On Oculus, OculusVR. On Steam, OpenVR. Where are you seeing on oculus that it implies both? I only see Oculus/Rift info.
  2. n/a
  3. n/a (this may be incorrect, as I've seen some users increase performance by using "-vrmode Oculus")
  4. Multiplayer, no. Leaderboards, yes. 

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, PJTierney said:
  1. On Oculus, OculusVR. On Steam, OpenVR. Where are you seeing on oculus that it implies both? I only see Oculus/Rift info.
  2. n/a
  3. n/a

@PJTierneyWhy does the Steam version not include support for OculusVR with an option to chose at startup? That’s how just about every other sim with support for both protocols work. I bought the sim on Steam when it was released based on the promise of support for the Rift. Now I find I can’t get native support for the Rift because I didn’t buy from the Oculus Store. That stinks.

Edited by Phil Lee
  • Agree 4

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, PJTierney said:
  2. n/a
  3. n/a

So this means that I have to choose between the better running Oculus native version and playing multiplayer? That is quite strange decision.

I'm still going get it though, maybe I'll just have to purchase it twice!-) 

Edited by Chrhun

14 minutes ago, PJTierney said:
  2. n/a
  3. n/a

Ouch. How anti consumer can a company handle a vr release. What a shame.

I either buy the game through steam and get horrible performance or i get it through oculus Home and cant play with my friends. what a Joke....

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, MTOJay said:

I either buy the game through steam and get horrible performance or i get it through oculus Home and cant play with my friends. what a Joke....

Absolutely incredible to scam Oculus users that bought the game on launch like that. I guess they wanted to teach us a lessen to never under any circumstances buy one of their games at launch.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, PJTierney said:
  2. n/a
  3. n/a

Hahahahahaha. Wow. So Oculus owners are ****ed. So glad I didn't buy it. And I won't.

Anyway @PJTierney thanks for answering. You're doing a great job btw!! Much better than Christina. And all decision makers at CM, obviously!!

Maybe an idea for Dirt Fish: It would be nice to have the choice between Tarmac and Gravel tires.

Not had to much time, but did some time today at DirtFish. Looks great. Also fun to go around in the wet settings there now.
 Thanks Codemasters and @PJTierney 🙂 You guys are doing a great job making this game better and better.

Just a short feedback after the newest patch.

VR feels very nice, and I had 2h fun. So now Dirt Rally 2 is really DR 2.

My game was in FS mode and I couldn't got it started in VR or without VR, so I had to deinstall SteamVR change the settings to window mode and re-install SteamVR. There are some bugs with lighting and some flickering bushes. Wet stages looking wrong, it's like there is ice and it's very chromium looking. F11 for VR reset is not very well choosen.

The rhythmic stutter bug with HID reading is also not solved. I have seen a lot people on Steam reporting this also, because in VR it's more visible.

8 hours ago, Jake Cushing said:

How is something sold at an arms-length 'scummy and anti-consumer'? What does 'artificially staggered' mean? There's a 'natural stagger' they should (despite it being anti-profit) follow?

Somehow Codies are morally expected to sell their game in a way which doesn't maximise sales? I'm all ears on this, seriously.

Holding back DLC for the game just because it has now gone on sale in a different store (after 6 months) is an artificial stagger. It could and should (imho) all release at once, so if a consumer wants to get the VR version from the Oculus store they can go all in. Why isn't there a deluxe edition? Why don't we have any indication on when season (already produced) DLC will make it to the Oculus store?

If you can't see how that is anti-consumer I can't help much more, though maybe see the quotes below for a clue...

6 hours ago, caerphoto said:

It doesn't meany anything at all except maybe that PJ doesn't know the answers and is trying to find out. It's not even been out for a day yet, have a bit of patience.

CMs have known the answers to these questions for months now.

5 hours ago, Phil Lee said:

@PJTierneyWhy does the Steam version not include support for OculusVR with an option to chose at startup? That’s how just about every other sim with support for both protocols work. I bought the sim on Steam when it was released based on the promise of support for the Rift. Now I find I can’t get native support for the Rift because I didn’t buy from the Oculus Store. That stinks.

5 hours ago, MTOJay said:

1 hour ago, Wonderbolt said:

Absolutely incredible to scam Oculus users that bought the game on launch like that. I guess they wanted to teach us a lessen to never under any circumstances buy one of their games at launch.

1 hour ago, bbbwww said:

Hahahahahaha. Wow. So Oculus owners are ****ed. So glad I didn't buy it. And I won't.

Anyway @PJTierney thanks for answering. You're doing a great job btw!! Much better than Christina. And all decision makers at CM, obviously!!

Shaking my head. Bought the deluxe edition day one on the promise of VR and after six months this is what we get. Incredible, but not wholly unexpected from CMs.

5 hours ago, Chrhun said:

So this means that I have to choose between the better running Oculus native version and playing multiplayer? That is quite strange decision.

I'm still going get it though, maybe I'll just have to purchase it twice!-) 

That's exactly what they would like.

There is ONE ray of hope however, which I haven't had a chance to test for myself... buried in this thread Why doesn't Steam version have Native Oculus mode???? OpenVR runs like garbage. Thanks for nothing:

POSSIBLE WORKAROUND: Set the launch option "-vrmode Oculus" in Steam. While launching the game, you'll see that the OVR window no longer appears. I'm pretty sure I'm getting better performance, too--I'm now able to run the game on high without frame drops, whereas before I was getting a lot of drops on medium. My specs are 1080 Ti/7700K@4.9GHz/DDR4-3200

This could just be a placebo though, if the Oculus libraries aren't there I'm not sure this would actually do anything.

18 minutes ago, JesseDeya said:

POSSIBLE WORKAROUND: Set the launch option "-vrmode Oculus" in Steam. While launching the game, you'll see that the OVR window no longer appears. I'm pretty sure I'm getting better performance, too--I'm now able to run the game on high without frame drops, whereas before I was getting a lot of drops on medium. My specs are 1080 Ti/7700K@4.9GHz/DDR4-3200

This could just be a placebo though, if the Oculus libraries aren't there I'm not sure this would actually do anything.

I believe this to be placebo. There is an OpenVR API dll in the Steam install of DR2. There isn’t a similar OculusVR API dll. I’d be interested to see a file list for the main folder of an Oculus Store bought version of DR2.

not mentioned in patch notes: new achievements are now live. they are

• The Hills Are Alive.... (complete an event in Wales)
  • Mr. Rallycross (win 3 RX events in the Ford RS2000)
  • The Home Favourite (Win in Latvia in the Reinis Nitišs Ford Fiesta Rallycross (MK7))
  • SEND IT (Win at Estering in Kevin Eriksson's Ford Fiesta Rallycross (MK8))
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Phil Lee said:

I believe this to be placebo. There is an OpenVR API dll in the Steam install of DR2. There isn’t a similar OculusVR API dll. I’d be interested to see a file list for the main folder of an Oculus Store bought version of DR2.

Could be, although from memory Dirt Rally 1 also didn’t have a specific Oculus api in the folder structure (but did support Oculus directly). 

I’m tempted to buy the Oculus version and do some frame rate testing then refund it within the 2hr window. 

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, kombajnkoszoncy said:

20190808225215_1.thumb.jpg.7846bdbce0b3fcb2a5d0a9b3aa9c1c32.jpg

There's that weird metallic yellow I was talking about before, right there.

It's a strange colour and draped over scenery at sunset, is the one element that spoils the rest.

Strongly suggest it gets toned down in intensity, and also a change of shade to a more orange colour. @urgaffel

Edited by Jake Cushing

Just fired it up on my Rift (Steam version). What a mess, had to lower my settings to LOW just get something close to playable and even then it can barely hold 90fps. At high/ultra it's sub 40fps.

For reference, my rig runs the game in 4k at High/Ultra settings with a min framerate of >90fps and averages >110fps.

This is a horribly unoptimised mess at the moment.