VR, DirtFish & Patch Notes: Version 1.7 of DiRT Rally 2.0

@Wonderbolt

ah thx. didnt see that. i think i am fine for now since i didnt play any dr2 so far at all.

even though i am not happy how codemasters handled the vr rollout i decided to go with the oculus version in the end for the better performance. 

have to say it runs really really well. (3700x, nvidia 2080, oculus cv1) can bump almost everything up to high with 4XAA and constant 90fps without anyframedrops. would have loved to have the game on steam but oculus store works for me aswell. (sad i cant play with my friends online for now, but hope i can get my moneys worth from the careermode.

Is there a way to don't launch Dirt2 in VR mode??? I mean, my computer is not too much accesible... so it's a little bit tricky to unplug the usb of the oculus, so I would like to have a way to launch Dirt2 without VR.

Thanks! ūüôā

Posted (edited)

Just to clarify. I bought the Steam version upon release. If I want to run it in VR with my Rift, I will have bad performance because you have to run it via SteamVR? I tried running SteamVR upon release so I could have the game as cinema screen on the Rift, but that gave horrible performance. Ended up using VirtualDesktop.

Edited by Benniz

1 hour ago, MTOJay said:

@Wonderbolt

ah thx. didnt see that. i think i am fine for now since i didnt play any dr2 so far at all.

even though i am not happy how codemasters handled the vr rollout i decided to go with the oculus version in the end for the better performance. 

have to say it runs really really well. (3700x, nvidia 2080, oculus cv1) can bump almost everything up to high with 4XAA and constant 90fps without anyframedrops. would have loved to have the game on steam but oculus store works for me aswell. (sad i cant play with my friends online for now, but hope i can get my moneys worth from the careermode.

Whelp, that confirms it, Steam users have the gimped version.

I have basically an equivalent rig (6700K @ 4.6Ghz, Watercooled 1080Ti @> 2080 performance, oculus cv1), and my experience with the Steam version couldn't be more different.

not sure if there is any admin reading this.. I have a big problem now. VR is working fine for me, thumbs up and big thanks for delivering it, BUT Iam no longer able to run the game in standard 2D mode. Everytime I run the game its forcing steam VR to lunch. Than I get Fatal Error code 108, HMD not found ..please advise

I have a gtx 1080 and this game is unplayable in VR. Guess i have to dobble dip for the oculus versjon :classic_huh:

• Disagree 1

For me and other oculus owner who purchased DR2 at start in steam store, maybe we can get special oculus key to get oculus version for free? Why do we need to pay for game twice, if steam version such a ****?

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, df86 said:

For me and other oculus owner who purchased DR2 at start in steam store, maybe we can get special oculus key to get oculus version for free? Why do we need to pay for game twice, if steam version such a ****?

yeah the whole thing is a farce.. been waiting ages for this and still cant play it.. get mega frame drops with SteamVR… need to boot using oculus API. why didn't they include it?

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Not including OculusVR support into Steam version, is a major dickmove. I supported from Day 1 by purchasing full priced Deluxe Edition. Codemasters said VR would come in Summer. Lot of people have done this, and played on pancake screen until VR comes. Even if not on Day 1.

On my overclocked 8700K and 1080Ti OC the performance in OpenVR is absolute garbage. Stutters, framedrops. No matter settings.

And FYI, the command lines like -vrmode Oculus are placebo, @PJTierney said here that there is no command line option for Steam version: https://forums.codemasters.com/topic/41487-vr-dirtfish-patch-notes-version-17-of-dirt-rally-20/?page=3&tab=comments#comment-45276

So people are imagining a "fix". The Steam install folder contains only OpenVR_api.dll and that's it. No OculusVR_api.dll

Now you say I must double dip for 55‚ā¨ again,¬†to get playable performance? The Oculus Store version doesn't even include DLCs! So you expect me to pay twice for DLC too? And not to mention, DLC that is already recycled from Dirt Rally 1 for the most part.

How about giving me a VR support, that works and I paid for? Like you goddamn promised.

In your blog you even advertised Steam sale, and right after that say "VR: Yes, it's still coming!":  http://blog.codemasters.com/community/06/the-dirt-roadbook-june-28-2019/

How misleading can you get... you tricked VR owners into buying from Steam... so that now they must repurchase from Oculus store

Edited by KahvaEel
  • Thanks 2
  • Agree 14

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Jake Cushing said:

There's that weird metallic yellow I was talking about before, right there.

It's a strange colour and draped over scenery at sunset, is the one element that spoils the rest.

Strongly suggest it gets toned down in intensity, and also a change of shade to a more orange colour. @urgaffel

I‚Äôm not the person for that ūüėõ¬†I just deal¬†with smoke, dust and precipitation¬†

Edited by urgaffel

The game doesn't work in any way for me (separate support issue). But hopefully to help some of the above posters have you tried Open Composite? It bypasses the Steam VR stuff (since using it I've uninstalled Steam VR). It worked great with Skyrim VR so will hopefully help some of your stuttering issues.

Cheers

What was this update that dropped this morning? Anyone know where they posted the changes?

I noticed the menu when you're in the car and hit esc just expanded to let you change more options, but I dont know what else.

4 minutes ago, MikeJeffries said:

What was this update that dropped this morning? Anyone know where they posted the changes?

I noticed the menu when you're in the car and hit esc just expanded to let you change more options, but I dont know what else.

the 01 Focus was available online by mistake, so there's that.

also probably VR bugs

@PJTierney Hello. Framerate drops still exist at Catamarca province Argentina, Calle de los puentes a la inversa, Daytime / Clear / Dry Surface, Car can be any, Mode can be any, tested in Time Trial and Career.

But at new map Dirtfish - framerate is good anywhere. Maybe you need fix maps?

If you need check all maps - I can do it. I can't play career anyway (7 months ago I buyed this game).

10 hours ago, Jake Cushing said:

There's that weird metallic yellow I was talking about before, right there.

It's a strange colour and draped over scenery at sunset, is the one element that spoils the rest.

Strongly suggest it gets toned down in intensity, and also a change of shade to a more orange colour. @urgaffel

I don't think so. There is nothing wrong with that. The asphalt surface is wet and the sun is shining. Such wet surface works a bit like mirror. The light from sun rays reflects from the road. Once I even took a photo of something like that. Look.

WP_20190613_20_50_17_Pro.thumb.jpg.a25a276d5d621ab4367c37dbec0b9ffd.jpgWP_20190613_20_50_08_Pro.thumb.jpg.4d22087cdeebd981aa41a7e4bc06dd2b.jpg

But obviously it is not so intensive because then the sun didn't shine so bright like it is in case of Ribadelles Spain.

1 hour ago, KahvaEel said:

Not including OculusVR support into Steam version, is a major dickmove. I supported from Day 1 by purchasing full priced Deluxe Edition. Codemasters said VR would come in Summer. Lot of people have done this, and played on pancake screen until VR comes. Even if not on Day 1.

On my overclocked 8700K and 1080Ti OC the performance in OpenVR is absolute garbage. Stutters, framedrops. No matter settings.

And FYI, the command lines like -vrmode Oculus are placebo, @PJTierney said here that there is no command line option for Steam version: https://forums.codemasters.com/topic/41487-vr-dirtfish-patch-notes-version-17-of-dirt-rally-20/?page=3&tab=comments#comment-45276

So people are imagining a "fix". The Steam install folder contains only OpenVR_api.dll and that's it. No OculusVR_api.dll

Now you say I must double dip for 55‚ā¨ again,¬†to get playable performance? The Oculus Store version doesn't even include DLCs! So you expect me to pay twice for DLC too? And not to mention, DLC that is already recycled from Dirt Rally 1 for the most part.

How about giving me a VR support, that works and I paid for? Like you goddamn promised.

In your blog you even advertised Steam sale, and right after that say "VR: Yes, it's still coming!":  http://blog.codemasters.com/community/06/the-dirt-roadbook-june-28-2019/

How misleading can you get... you tricked VR owners into buying from Steam... so that now they must repurchase from Oculus store

This pretty much sums it up.

Codemasters you suck. Please unfuck this VR situation immediately.

• Agree 9
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, JustHonour said:

The game doesn't work in any way for me (separate support issue). But hopefully to help some of the above posters have you tried Open Composite? It bypasses the Steam VR stuff (since using it I've uninstalled Steam VR). It worked great with Skyrim VR so will hopefully help some of your stuttering issues.

Cheers

I just tried it. Crashes the game on startup. so no luck there sadly.

1 hour ago, KahvaEel said:

Yep, sort it codies please.. ive been waiting so long for this, bought the deluxe edition.. still cant play it.. ill hang on another couple of days and probably refund if it isn't fixed (wont buy on oculus store)

• Agree 2

24 minutes ago, James710 said:

Yep, sort it codies please.. ive been waiting so long for this, bought the deluxe edition.. still cant play it.. ill hang on another couple of days and probably refund if it isn't fixed (wont buy on oculus store)

I second this! After purchasing the Deluxe Edition, I'm not going to make a new purchase of the game to make it run properly with VR.

• Agree 1

@James710

Based on what you said I reinstalled steam vr and disabled open composite.. The game now "runs"... but is a stuttery mess as others above (and elsewhere) have posted. Basically unplayable. Ugh.

• Agree 2

12 minutes ago, JustHonour said:

@James710

Based on what you said I reinstalled steam vr and disabled open composite.. The game now "runs"... but is a stuttery mess as others above (and elsewhere) have posted. Basically unplayable. Ugh.

I just hope they acknowledge it and get it fixed for us. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, James710 said:

I just hope they acknowledge it and get it fixed for us. 

That's not the Codemaster's ways.

Step 1: Ignore for as long as possible

Step 2: Acknowledge but downplay

Step 3: See step 1

Step 4: Do nothing

Step 5: See step 3

Step 6: Do nothing

Step 5: Tease a fix and pretend your customers are excited

Steps 6 though 11: Do nothing

Step 12: Ensure many months have passed, half arse a fix that doesn't actually work

Step 13: Proclaim success in a blog post and never address the issue again.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

I'm gutted by this as well since I bought Dirt Rally 2 when I heard VR was coming. I barely played it on monitor since I always tend to go to race sims which have VR support since I got it.

The bad thing is this seems to be a commercial deal with Oculus and the customer is the victim here. What frustrates me is that both Codemasters and Oculus will have angry customers because of this. 50% of the VR users on Steam have Oculus headsets. That's a lot of Oculus players that have the steam version since they knew VR was coming. If the game would launch with VR and it was made clear that only the version in the Oculus store would have native support I would understand it. But at this point I can only feel deceived. I tried to play it and the performance is just too bad with Steam VR.. I was really looking forward to this.

I might try to ask Steam for a refund (while I have more than 2 hours playtime) explaining I bought it for VR ..

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, CerebralVortex said:

If the game would launch with VR and it was made clear that only the version in the Oculus store would have native support I would understand it. But at this point I can only feel deceived.ÔĽŅ I tried to play it and the performance is just too bad with Steam VR.. I was really looking forward to this.

The defence rests.