VR, DirtFish & Patch Notes: Version 1.7 of DiRT Rally 2.0

As a test I'm currently installing the Oculus version to see how much of a difference it is and what files, if any, are different. I plan on asking for a refund from the Oculus Store once I've seen what the performance difference is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Issued a refund with Steam for my purchase yesterday. Awful awful Open VR performance even on low settings. Can't set sensitivity stuff for my Thrustmaster T300. And bugs...it's even worse than Project Cars 2. And this "EA-like" platform decision to exclude steam users from Oculus support, what a dissapointment. Shame on you codemasters, for releasing this garbage VR product (at least, in this way).

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Phil Lee said:

As a test I'm currently installing the Oculus version to see how much of a difference it is and what files, if any, are different. I plan on asking for a refund from the Oculus Store once I've seen what the performance difference is.

Would like to hear this. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Phil Lee said:

Maybe it is possible to compile working version with Steam's DLCs and with oculus runtime library? It would be perfectly 🙂

I had similar issue with Ethan Carter VR game from steam. I wrote about troubles to developers, and they send me for free key to oculus store version of game. And that was fine for me. Why Codemasters can't do the same for those, who already purchased DR2 in steam?

Edited by df86
T9 - correct mistypes
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

After a long download, I got the Oculus version installed. I had some sound issues which I resolved by setting Windows to use the Rift S speakers and changed the sound settings in Oculus home to explicitly use the Rift S speakers. I also had an issue with my pedals not being recognised properly. I had to delete the assignment, reassign them and restart the sim to get them to work.

When you run the sim, a mirror window opens which shows the the distorted 2 eye view. Inside the HMD, you see the same interface as in the Steam version. SteamVR does not open up. Performance is many times better than the SteamVR version. It is smooth but not quite as smooth as other sims I’m used to (iRacing and AC). I was able to run Medium/High settings and get a smooth framerate. On the SteamVR version I couldn’t get smooth FPS at all, even on ultra low. I think the graphics are washed out compared with Dirt Rally, iRacing and AC, even with reduced brightness.

There are some track and car files missing from the Rift version compared with the deluxe Steam version. The SteamVR api dll is also missing. Various other files have different sizes. I’m not going to post any files lists, comparisons or try to assemble my own version from the two sets of files because I don’t want to jeopardise the refund I’ve requested a from the Oculus Store. I’m not going to do any more testing so I don’t go over the 2 hour time limit either.

Edited by Phil Lee
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, KahvaEel said:

And FYI, the command lines like -vrmode Oculus are placebo, @PJTierney said here that there is no command line option for Steam version: https://forums.codemasters.com/topic/41487-vr-dirtfish-patch-notes-version-17-of-dirt-rally-20/?page=3&tab=comments#comment-45276

To clarify. 2 and 3 had “if yes” as part of 1’s response.

Since 1 was “No”, 2 and 3 don’t apply to that user’s specific question.

As mentioned in the Roadbook today the team is actively looking at all VR issues and seeing what can be done. 

8 hours ago, MikeJeffries said:

What was this update that dropped this morning? Anyone know where they posted the changes?

1.2 GB? Preload of Estering files.

On 8/8/2019 at 9:01 PM, bbbwww said:

Anyway @PJTierney thanks for answering. You're doing a great job btw!!

Thanks for the kind words 🙂

Admittedly it’s not been a good few days as I don’t like seeing players be unhappy but I’ve relayed what feedback I can to the team and they’ll do their bit, just like they’ve done with every update. 🙂 

Some bugs and issues (in general, not just talking VR here) are easier to resolve than others, and some for various reasons cannot be resolved at all, but anything that can be done is looked into for sure. Nobody on the team is looking to “screw any players over” as ultimately our jobs rely on games being successful 🙂 

• Agree 3

35 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

Admittedly it’s not been a good few days as I don’t like seeing players be unhappy but I’ve relayed what feedback I can to the team and they’ll do their bit, just like they’ve done with every update. 🙂 

Some bugs and issues (in general, not just talking VR here) are easier to resolve than others, and some for various reasons cannot be resolved at all, but anything that can be done is looked into for sure. Nobody on the team is looking to “screw any players over” as ultimately our jobs rely on games being successful 🙂 

I can imagine its difficult being in your position. I always try to be constructive when it comes to this type of issue. Nothing comes of hurling abuse.

5 minutes ago, Phil Lee said:

I can imagine its difficult being in your position. I always try to be constructive when it comes to this type of issue. Nothing comes of hurling abuse.

Yup.

I've been a similar position as a player for well over a decade (both here and on the Forza forums). Constructive, respectful feedback always does better than vague "fix it" demands and name-calling. 🙂 

3 hours ago, Phil Lee said:

There are some track and car files missing from the Rift version compared with the deluxe Steam version. The SteamVR api dll is also missing. Various other files have different sizes. I’m not going to post any files lists, comparisons or try to assemble my own version from the two sets of files because I don’t want to jeopardise the refund I’ve requested a from the Oculus Store. I’m not going to do any more testing so I don’t go over the 2 hour time limit either.

Thanks for testing- when you do receive the Oculus Store refund, any chance you could post the file list? (here or on the Dirt reddit) 

48 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

Thanks for patience and responding to the issues! As an Oculus owner who has been waiting for VR support to buy DR 2.0, it's a bit of a frustrating position to be in.  

-Will the Deluxe version (or any DLC content) be available on the Oculus Store?

-Can Oculus owners use the .dll files from the Oculus Store version on a Steam install to work around the performance issues people are getting with OpenVR?

1 minute ago, ortazel said:
  1. -Will the Deluxe version (or any DLC content) be available on the Oculus Store?
  2. -Can Oculus owners use the .dll files from the Oculus Store version on a Steam install to work around the performance issues people are getting with OpenVR?

1. DLC content form other platforms will be available on Oculus in the future.
  2. That one's far too technical for me to be answering from home on a Friday evening 🙂  (in short, I don't have a clue but I'll try and ask next week)

51 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

I've been a similar position as a player for well over a decade (both here and on the Forza forums). Constructive, respectful feedback always does better than vague "fix it" demands and name-calling. 🙂 

:classic_blink: It does? Dayum who'd have thunk it.

:classic_biggrin:

Could I ask the following regarding future console updates:

Are the following under consideration?

1.. HDR quality and bloom effects

2.. Headlight intensity on evening/night stages

3.. An option to disable rear view mirrors in cockpit view

4.. FOV adjustment

A simple yes/no will be fine but with Wreckfest, WRC8 and NASCAR all imminent i've got options now and don't really want to be hanging around hoping for the best so it would be nice to know either way. Thanks

1 minute ago, _BorisTheFrog_ said:

Could I ask the following regarding future console updates:

Are the following under consideration?

1.. HDR quality and bloom effects

2.. Headlight intensity on evening/night stages

3.. An option to disable rear view mirrors in cockpit view

4.. FOV adjustment

A simple yes/no will be fine but with Wreckfest, WRC8 and NASCAR all imminent i've got options now and don't really want to be hanging around hoping for the best so it would be nice to know either way. Thanks

1. HDR brightness was increased in 1.7, I think the setting allows you to turn it up more now.
  2. I know the team was looking into some lighting things but can't remember if it was specifically that.
  3. First time that's been requested to my mind.
  4. No plans for this one.

1 minute ago, PJTierney said:
  1. HDR brightness was increased in 1.7, I think the setting allows you to turn it up more now.
  2. I know the team was looking into some lighting things but can't remember if it was specifically that.
  3. First time that's been requested to my mind.
  4. No plans for this one.

Thanks.

HDR brightness (TV/console) wasn't really the problem, it was more about the quality of image. You'll have to excuse me for my ignorance here but my son (nerdy PC geek who knows the correct jargon) says it has something to do with the HDMI black level. I don't really know what that means but changing my TV to PC output and setting the black level to 'low' does give a noticeable (but marginal) improvement. To put it another way. With HDR off the writing on loading screens is deep red and the location image is clear and vivid. With HDR on the writing is a pale red and the location image lacks vibrance. Increasing HDR brightness simply amplifies the pale colours. Sorry for the vague description but i'm just an ancient female gamer with no teccy knowledge.

Regarding the rear view mirror. I've been reliably informed that there is an option to disable the mirror (rally) on PC and being as how some are quite large and obtrusive it would be nice to also be able to remove them.   

15 hours ago, kombajnkoszoncy said:

I don't think so. There is nothing wrong with that. The asphalt surface is wet and the sun is shining. Such wet surface works a bit like mirror. The light from sun rays reflects from the road. Once I even took a photo of something like that. Look.

I'm not sure which planets you've been to, but this:

20190808225215_1.jpg.cce048309c26fb6e62820da0d8619f13.thumb.jpg.2c349f30674e4459f7e294ba232050df.jpg

... is not realistic, at least on Earth. Your photo doesn't suggest so either. And it gets worse than the above screencap.

If the culprit is the yellow in the sky, then it would be a lot better if it was more orange, so it had some red to tie in with that purple.

At the moment that metallic yellow looks completely strange, especially spilling onto the road in that thick fashion.

@urgaffel apologies but could you at least pass this on? It's disconcerting seeing this come into view in sunset stages when it's otherwise quite lovely.

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

Starting the game requires involvement VR.
I want to play on the monitor.

image.thumb.png.2361c63c27aa3df3fbd56bd13d5edaef.png

5 hours ago, Jake Cushing said:

I'm not sure which planets you've been to, but this:

20190808225215_1.jpg.cce048309c26fb6e62820da0d8619f13.thumb.jpg.2c349f30674e4459f7e294ba232050df.jpg

... is not realistic, at least on Earth. Your photo doesn't suggest so either. And it gets worse than the above screencap.

If the culprit is the yellow in the sky, then it would be a lot better if it was more orange, so it had some red to tie in with that purple.

At the moment that metallic yellow looks completely strange, especially spilling onto the road in that thick fashion.

@urgaffel apologies but could you at least pass this on? It's disconcerting seeing this come into view in sunset stages when it's otherwise quite lovely.

The llighting is nice but for racing purposes it really doesn't need to be so intense...

This is the closest 'real' photo I could find and (imo) it shows an equally as impressive sunrise but with more subtle lighting

https://www.shutterstock.com/es/image-photo/oad-by-sea-sunrise-time-lofoten-547827592

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Roben said:

Starting the game requires involvement VR.

I want to play on the monitor.

image.thumb.png.2361c63c27aa3df3fbd56bd13d5edaef.png

Same for me "Fatal error (108): HMD not founfd". Why not a selection menu to decide which version to use? It's just idiotic. Is there a workaround such aa a launch parameter to add?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, PJTierney said:

On 8/8/2019 at 7:01 PM, PJTierney said:

On Oculus, OculusVR. On Steam, OpenVR.

Well, end result is the same. Like you said, on Steam, OpenVR. With inferior performance. No launch parameter to change it to Oculus mode, so that performance would be on par with Oculus Store version. Which I'm sure everyone who purchased the game (many people before Steam sales, many people on Day 1), well deserves.

If there is such parameter, please share the information and dunno... sticky post it everywhere, with largest, fattest font available. Until that, I believe there is no such parameter.

I really hope you can bring the Steam VR performance 1:1 on par with Oculus store version. The early adopters, owners of Steam deluxe edition, and in general your customers deserve it. It is obvious that SteamVR reduces performance (in this case drastically, but always some), only way to make it run optimally, is adding Oculus Native support into Steam version too.

Edited by KahvaEel
  • Agree 3

The VR experience with WMR (Lenovo) and a RTX 2060 it's not bad at all but after a shakedown for example, the stint is unpalybale cause the frame rate falls miserably and stutter. There is still work to be done to optimize performance.

How's possible that there is no support nor sign of life? If you google for support you only find thread merchandising the news, no one to solve the problems introduced. Am I in the wrong place?

Posted (edited)

Bouth the game on steam, terrible performance in vr. Bouth it on oculus store and no sound 😞

So now i have 2 versjon of the game, and none are working...
And we need a reset view button mapping. And a icon on the cars if they are left hand drive or rigth hand drive

Edited by kellemann
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

22 hours ago, PJTierney said:

As mentioned in the Roadbook today the team is actively looking at all VR issues and seeing what can be done. 

Sorry PJ this is bull. You misunderstood my question #1.

#1 was if the devs implemented both. They did. They did use both libraries in development, contrary to DR1. So the actual answer to #1 is yes. They just didn't compile both in any store version.
#2 is no. No version contains both libraries. Oculus Store version only contains OculusVR (obviously), and Steam Store Version only contains OpenVR library (sadly) - contrary to DR1.
#3 is obsolete, since #2 is no.

Was removing OculusVR support in the Steam Version part of the deal with Oculus?

22 hours ago, PJTierney said:

1. DLC content form other platforms will be available on Oculus in the future.
  2. That one's far too technical for me to be answering from home on a Friday evening 🙂  (in short, I don't have a clue but I'll try and ask next week)

Thanks- appreciate the answers and good to know that DLC is coming to Oculus... any idea when? 🙂 

1 hour ago, kellemann said:

Bouth the game on steam, terrible performance in vr. Bouth it on oculus store and no sound 😞

So now i have 2 versjon of the game, and none are working...
And we need a reset view button mapping. And a icon on the cars if they are left hand drive or rigth hand drive

... and this is why I haven't bought it yet! The Steam Deluxe version is much cheaper (about $38 through Steam resellers) and has all the DLC, but it sounds like I will get bad performance on a Rift CV1. Meanwhile, the Oculus version is $60 for the base game, no DLC yet and possibly has no audio?  

I want to spend money on this game, make it easy for me 🙂