VR, DirtFish & Patch Notes: Version 1.7 of DiRT Rally 2.0

There's actually an easy way to start in non VR mode: just "hide" the SteamVR installation folder by renaming it.

More info (&script) here:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bbbwww said:

Sorry PJ this is bull. You misunderstood my question #1.

#1 was if the devs implemented both. They did. They did use both libraries in development, contrary to DR1. So the actual answer to #1 is yes. They just didn't compile both in any store version.
#2 is no. No version contains both libraries. Oculus Store version only contains OculusVR (obviously), and Steam Store Version only contains OpenVR library (sadly) - contrary to DR1.
#3 is obsolete, since #2 is no.

Was removing OculusVR support in the Steam Version part of the deal with Oculus?

This is actually the most important point here, but most people seem to be missing it.

The story of Dirt Rally 1 VR (PC)

• Dirt Rally 1 sold on Steam (first) and although not promised at launch, eventually included support for the Oculus Rift natively.
  • Dirt Rally 1 did not include support for Vive (or other headsets) but could be played with Revive and worked very well.
  • Dirt Rally 1 was eventually added to the Oculus Store, and had exactly the same VR performance as the Steam version.
  • Dirt Rally 1 VR was outsourced to Climax Studios

The story of Dirt Rally 2 VR (PC)

• Dirt Rally 2 sold on Steam (first) and was advertised - before release - that support for Oculus headsets would be coming in summer.
  • Dirt Rally 2 did not mention any support for Vive (or other headsets) during the leadup to VR release.
  • Dirt Rally 2 received it's VR update in summer as promised, but did NOT support Oculus headsets natively as expected.
  • Dirt Rally 2 used OpenVR on steam instead of Oculus runtimes, so supported more headsets but ran terribly on all of them.
  • Dirt Rally 2 was added to the Oculus store, but the Oculus store version runs SIGNIFICANTLY better than the Steam version. 
  • Dirt Rally 2 VR was also outsourced to Climax Studios

As far as I can tell, there is absolutely no technical reason that the Steam version of Dirt Rally 2 couldn't be patched to use Oculus APIs for Oculus headsets... unless there is a commercial reason why this can't be done - namely Oculus money hatting the development and therefore insisting that the version in their store must run better. It certainly smells suspicious.

9 hours ago, ortazel said:

Thanks- appreciate the answers and good to know that DLC is coming to Oculus... any idea when? 🙂 

... and this is why I haven't bought it yet! The Steam Deluxe version is much cheaper (about $38 through Steam resellers) and has all the DLC, but it sounds like I will get bad performance on a Rift CV1. Meanwhile, the Oculus version is $60 for the base game, no DLC yet and possibly has no audio?  

I want to spend money on this game, make it easy for me 🙂 

See above, you won't get an honest answer here. Based on historical data you will know about the release of the DLC on the Oculus store as it happens, if you're lucky. 

12 hours ago, Perell0ne said:

The VR experience with WMR (Lenovo) and a RTX 2060 it's not bad at all but after a shakedown for example, the stint is unpalybale cause the frame rate falls miserably and stutter. There is still work to be done to optimize performance.

How's possible that there is no support nor sign of life? If you google for support you only find thread merchandising the news, no one to solve the problems introduced. Am I in the wrong place?

Welcome to the CM forums.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JesseDeya said:

This is actually the most important point here, but most people seem to be missing it.

The story of Dirt Rally 1 VR (PC)

• Dirt Rally 1 sold on Steam (first) and although not promised at launch, eventually included support for the Oculus Rift natively.
  • Dirt Rally 1 did not include support for Vive (or other headsets) but could be played with Revive and worked very well.
  • Dirt Rally 1 was eventually added to the Oculus Store, and had exactly the same VR performance as the Steam version.
  • Dirt Rally 1 VR was outsourced to Climax Studios

The story of Dirt Rally 2 VR (PC)

• Dirt Rally 2 sold on Steam (first) and was advertised - before release - that support for Oculus headsets would be coming in summer.
  • Dirt Rally 2 did not mention any support for Vive (or other headsets) during the leadup to VR release.
  • Dirt Rally 2 received it's VR update in summer as promised, but did NOT support Oculus headsets natively as expected.
  • Dirt Rally 2 used OpenVR on steam instead of Oculus runtimes, so supported more headsets but ran terribly on all of them.
  • Dirt Rally 2 was added to the Oculus store, but the Oculus store version runs SIGNIFICANTLY better than the Steam version. 
  • Dirt Rally 2 VR was also outsourced to Climax Studios

As far as I can tell, there is absolutely no technical reason that the Steam version of Dirt Rally 2 couldn't be patched to use Oculus APIs for Oculus headsets... unless there is a commercial reason why this can't be done - namely Oculus money hatting the development and therefore insisting that the version in their store must run better. It certainly smells suspicious.

See above, you won't get an honest answer here. Based on historical data you will know about the release of the DLC on the Oculus store as it happens, if you're lucky. 

Welcome to the CM forums.

I’m just hoping it gets sorted this week, or I’ll give up and refund. 

Purchased a rift and a legit copy of Dirt 2 which promised VR for oculus headset with my hard earned and I can’t play.. 

Hope it wasn’t a business decision by oculus/Codemasters. We don’t need stuff like this happening in an already segregated VR market.

13 hours ago, ortazel said:

good to know that DLC is coming to Oculus... any idea when? 🙂 

15 hours ago, kellemann said:

Nothing to announce right now.

I have a few question regarding VR"

1. Is it possible to play replays in full VR? in DR1 it was optionally possible. In DR2 I cannot find the option
2. Is it possible to lower world shaking in favour of cockpit shaking? Again, I cannot find such option.

Also I found VR a bit unbalanced in regards of brightness. Some stages seems to be too dark while other overbrightened, resulting with white (or wiped out) road surface. Because there are two extremes, it cannot be resolved by setting brightness (unless I will do that before every stage)
It's possible it is a flaw of HMD (Vive), but still, a game should take it into account I think.

with regards

14 hours ago, bbbwww said:

You misunderstood my question #1.

Seems I did, sorry about that.

For what it’s worth I have asked if OculusSDK support is in the works for the Steam version, as it’s clear that that’s the #1 issue people are having on Steam right now.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, MaXyMsrpl said:

Is it possible to lower world shaking in favour of cockpit shaking? Again, I cannot find such option.

If you look in the comfort options there should be a setting for Locked Orientation. Toggle that and your view should shake around in line with what the car is doing.

50 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

For what it’s worth I have asked if OculusSDK support is in the works for the Steam version, as it’s clear that that’s the #1 issue people are having on Steam right now.

It's worth a lot, thanks for sharing that, I'll admit I'm surprised you did.

Looking forward to a timeline on a fix.

Posted (edited)

@PJTierney

Thank you for quick response. You are working 24/7. We appreciate that.

I forgot about one more think I want to ask:

1. is there something to scale VR world a bit? I found cars interior to feel too small. The same I feel in DR1. Something like World Scale setting in PC2

with regards

Edited by MaXyMsrpl
  • Agree 1

There is still not a single word from codemaster about many people having no sound in the oculus version. Please inform me that you will look in to this....

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, James710 said:

Dirt Rally 2 used OpenVR on steam instead of Oculus runtimes, so supported more headsets but ran terribly on all of them.

As one who struggled to get DR1 to run well in VR, I cannot agree with this assessment on DR2.0 VR, however I only own one headset to test with.

Also shoutout to those who predicted that if VR got added there would be various peoples complaining their particular platform was less favoured than some other. :classic_tongue:

1 hour ago, MaXyMsrpl said:

Some stages seems to be too dark while other overbrightened, resulting with white (or wiped out) road surface. Because there are two extremes, it cannot be resolved by setting brightness (unless I will do that before every stage)
It's possible it is a flaw of HMD (Vive)

Some lighting is sub-optimal on my Dell Visor as well but I thought it'd just be due to the quality of the displays, I gotta get my hands on one of those Samsung Odyssey's.

Edited by nbates66

15 minutes ago, kellemann said:

There is still not a single word from codemaster about many people having no sound in the oculus version. Please inform me that you will look in to this....

It's also the weekend and I'm just hanging out on the forums in my spare time 🙂

I've seen a few reports of it that could be passed on. Is the lack of audio happening throughout the entire game or in specific areas?

• Like 1

The entire game. No sound as soon as you start the game. I have a rift s and also have the game on steam (unplayable at the moment because of extrymly low fps).
Sorry for beeing unpacient, but i have waited a half year for this, bouth 2 versjons of the game this week(first stem then oculus)and none are working.
But the little i have tried without sound was fantastick. Really looking forward to playing it more when it is fixed 🙂
Btw is there a way to see if a car is left hand drive or rigth hand drive in the menus?  

7 minutes ago, kellemann said:

The entire game. No sound as soon as you start the game.

Okay, will add it to the bug list.

7 minutes ago, kellemann said:

Btw is there a way to see if a car is left hand drive or rigth hand drive in the menus?  

No.

In general, you can figure out which is which based on the country the car is made in (though this isn't always guaranteed as it all depends on what real-life car model the team sourced).

If it's from the UK or Japan, wheel should be on the right-hand side.

4 hours ago, PJTierney said:

Seems I did, sorry about that.

Thank you! That’s all we need right now, a bit of clarity (to keep me sane) 🙂

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, JesseDeya said:

Dirt Rally 2 was added to the Oculus store, but the Oculus store version runs SIGNIFICANTLY better than the Steam version. 

That's 100% wrong. On my Valve Index and on the WMR HMDs the Oculus Version does not run at all. 
It's very interesting to see, that the Oculus customers think that all people use the Facebook Hardware.

Edit: Looked for your problem and according to reddit you should try -vrmode Oculus in the Steam launch options.

Beside that, there are a lot of bugs in the VR version and it's poorly optimized. AA is e.g. very bad implemented, the lighting and colors in my headset are way to bright so I had to go down to 0.3 brightness what's leads to problems in the darker areas.  

I can't use the keyboard in VR, so no way to rename a championship or other things where you need to input something with the keyboard. 

Or the idea of CM that we have close SteamVR to play in VR ... what? Missing start menu in Steam for VR or flat gaming, etc.

Edited by Peter Mathen
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Peter Mathen said:

That's 100% wrong. On my Valve Index and on the WMR HMDs the Oculus Version does not run at all. 
It's very interesting to see, that the Oculus customers think that all people use the Facebook Hardware.

Edit: Looked for your problem and according to reddit you should try -vrmode Oculus in the Steam launch options.

Beside that, there are a lot of bugs in the VR version and it's poorly optimized. AA is e.g. very bad implemented, the lighting and colors in my headset are way to bright so I had to go down to 0.3 brightness what's leads to problems in the darker areas.  

I can't use the keyboard in VR, so no way to rename a championship or other things where you need to input something with the keyboard. 

Or the idea of CM that we have close SteamVR to play in VR ... what? Missing start menu in Steam for VR or flat gaming, etc.

oh come on. he is obviously talking about people with a rift when he is comparing steam/oculus home versions. no, we are not thinking that all people use the facebook hardware. we are fully aware that many people are using vives, indexes, wmr or pimax devices. thats not the point he is making and i think you are aware of that?! its a major step in the right direction that the game comes with open vr support from the get go. thats fantastic and thats how it should have been for dr1 aswell. that however does not change that the game runs 200% better on oculus home with the native oculus sdk for oculus rift users. (i can run 4x AA on oculus home, everything on high and still rock 90fps - not possible under any circumstance on steam atm) 

and no, putting in "-vrmode Oculus" does not use the native oculus sdk. we are not yet fully sure what it does because it does something for some, but it certainly is not falling back to the oculus sdk. steam vr is still launching and it still runs way worse then on the rift store. 

this is frustrating for a lot of players (with an oculus vr headset) who supported the game early on after vr support was announced because those people now have spend money on a game that they would most probably wouldnt have bought if that would have been clear to them. and what makes this situation even worse is that the 2 versions are different. you cant join steam multiplayer lobbies if you buy the game on oculus home, and the rift version is missing a lot of content atm with no date or any idea when all that stuff will be available. 

its also frustrating because its undeniable that the work for the oculus sdk has been put in. there is a version on another store that runs the rift hardware natively. so there is aboslutely no reason to take that feature out of the steam version. other games are able to support 2 sdks and allow you to choose whatever you wanna run with your software. 

so as a rift user you have 2 options, either get the full game with multiplayer capabilities to play with your 2d friends and have ****** perofrmance, or buy the game on oculus home (maybe even a second time) for better performance but miss out on all the other things.

how that is a desirable approach for a developer is beyond me. at the end this is only really hurting the consumer. 

i am really looking forward to what @PJTierney gets as an answer on wether they are working on putting the rift option up to steam. its undeniable that it is possible, its undeniable that the most of the work for that has already been put in. so there arent many reasons to not include it.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Slim said:
For those struggling to get decent performance in VR. Check this post out over at RD https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/dirt-2-0-vr-update-now-live.171945/page-3#post-3024047

Seems that the in game AA is rubbish and the VR killer. I got smooth 90 fps with these settings.

All these recent suggestions, I am sorry, are bunk.  The main issue is that the Steam version hasn't an option to run Oculus native, like the Oculus version.

Please do not post relatively worthless suggestions eg. how turning down AA etc. gives a few more FPS. Oculus users want a Oculus native version, not random performance tips.

That being said, people need to be aware that it is the weekend. 

Furthermore, just pointing out something in case people don't know: Oculus actually funded (?) codemasters to release this VR version, from what I heard. So the fact that the Oculus version runs better and that there is not an Oculus native version for Steam may well be intentional.

Personally, I am surprised that according to the forum guy here there are indeed two *versions*, an Oculus native version and of course the Steam version. Common sense would say there is only one actual code of the game, which can be "switched" with options and/or config files. But as it looks, there seem indeed be two different versions.

Anyway, I would wait for after the weekend until we hear something re updates etc.

Edited by flexy123

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, flexy123 said:

All these recent suggestions, I am sorry, are bunk.  The main issue is that the Steam version hasn't an option to run Oculus native, like the Oculus version.

Please do not post relatively worthless suggestions eg. how turning down AA etc. gives a few more FPS. Oculus users want a Oculus native version, not random performance tips.

That being said, people need to be aware that it is the weekend. 

Furthermore, just pointing out something in case people don't know: Oculus actually funded (?) codemasters to release this VR version, from what I heard. So the fact that the Oculus version runs better and that there is not an Oculus native version for Steam may well be intentional.

Personally, I am surprised that according to the forum guy here there are indeed two *versions*, an Oculus native version and of course the Steam version. Common sense would say there is only one actual code of the game, which can be "switched" with options and config files. But as it looks, there seem indeed be two different versions.

Anyway, I would wait for after the weekend until we hear something re updates etc.

You're welcome!

However, I'll point out that I went from being able to only achieve close to 90fps running the game on medium to being able to run on the high preset with some options pushed to ultra and getting a buttery smooth 90 fps with these settings.

Edited by Slim

Posted (edited)

Slim, the point is: Even if these tweaks add a lot to performance, it would mean that without OpenVR and instead Oculus native it would be even more. MUCH more.

Edit: I apologize!! Of course any performance tips are always great, but I am sure you know what I meant.

Edited by flexy123

I have just started game for the first time since update.

I have spent long time lately for testing and setting graphic options to get smooth performance with best possible graphic quality.

Well, thanks for reseting these to default high preset without any warning before. Next time I am going to make screenshots.

Just saying.

But this isn't funny at all.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
On 8/11/2019 at 5:56 PM, Slim said:
For those struggling to get decent performance in VR. Check this post out over at RD https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/dirt-2-0-vr-update-now-live.171945/page-3#post-3024047

Seems that the in game AA is rubbish and the VR killer. I got smooth 90 fps with these settings.

2nd day in VR gaming, it's so good and that's what I was waiting for.

The tips in the link are good, I have disabled the AA in DR2 and used 4x AA in Nvidia driver (the normal one, will try tomorrow the SSAA). 

I got a good performance 90 fps stable, even in night and rain with a very good image, ok not the PC2 quality but decent. I don't like the white reflections from wet tracks, this is looking sometimes like snow but most times it has a metal or chrome touch. Also the brightness is to unstable, in night and wet conditions way to bright on sunny days in the shadows to dark. But nevertheless it's a very good start with VR.

Edited by Peter Mathen
  • Thanks 1

VR is great!

Don't know if it is proper place, or I should start new thread.

There are two things which would contribute to dr2 vr excellence:

1. ability to change a world scale (cars interiors seems a bit smaller than irl right now)

2. render HUD plane closer. From simracer perspective I can live without hud, but it is too small, hardly readable. it's valid for in-game menus too. Maybe asking for configurable 2D plane distance it too much, but making it persistently a bit closer would definitely help

• Agree 1