Jump to content Jump to content

VR, DirtFish & Patch Notes: Version 1.7 of DiRT Rally 2.0


PJTierney
 Share

Recommended Posts

40 minutes ago, prl1862 said:

I'd like to know the answer to this too. I bought the Steam version on release and will be very unhappy if the native Oculus support is only available in the version bought through the Oculus store. Looking at the program folder, there is only openvr_api.dll and there are no options within Steam to specify the type of VR to use. I have a Rift S attached to a PC with a 1080Ti and a 9700K at 5.2GHz. Even with all the graphics options set to low I am getting terrible performance.

Same here, wish I had native oculus support but despite the mirror showing a solid 40-50 FPS the graphics settings barely change anything in terms of performance for me and at times it feels like 20fps or less inside the headset and then for a few seconds its smooth again. Not stuttery just feels like the fps fluctuates heavily towards the lower side. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, PJTierney said:

That content will come in the future.

Make sure you guys arrange a tidy Season Pass to help net in some nice cash like the Deluxe. Actually, two season passes:

One for the Season 3 and 4 and another one for everything.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Riggs said:

Make sure you guys arrange a tidy Season Pass to help net in some nice cash like the Deluxe. Actually, two season passes:

One for the Season 3 and 4 and another one for everything.

For a moment I thought you would say "and another one for season 5 & 6" 😄

I would buy it, though.

 

Since FM7 and FH4 are pretty garbage the way they are now, I pretty much play only 3 games since almost half a year now with around 80% of it being DR2.0. So can't really be enough content to be added for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Social Media & Community Team
On 8/8/2019 at 3:15 PM, bbbwww said:

@PJTierney

Could you please clarify the following questions with the devs as this seems to be important for a lot of people:

1. Was VR implemented with both native OculusVR and SteamVR/OpenVR or only one? (though Oculus Store availability suggests both)
2. If yes, are both store versions shipped with both each? Or does the Oculus Store version only ship with native OculusVR support (and the same for the steam version)?
3. If yes, can the user decide which mode to use by using a command line param for example?
4. Can Oculus Store players compete online with Steam Version Players?

  1. On Oculus, OculusVR. On Steam, OpenVR. Where are you seeing on oculus that it implies both? I only see Oculus/Rift info.
  2. n/a
  3. n/a (this may be incorrect, as I've seen some users increase performance by using "-vrmode Oculus")
  4. Multiplayer, no. Leaderboards, yes. 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, PJTierney said:
  1. On Oculus, OculusVR. On Steam, OpenVR. Where are you seeing on oculus that it implies both? I only see Oculus/Rift info.
  2. n/a
  3. n/a
  4. Multiplayer, no. Leaderboards, yes. 

@PJTierneyWhy does the Steam version not include support for OculusVR with an option to chose at startup? That’s how just about every other sim with support for both protocols work. I bought the sim on Steam when it was released based on the promise of support for the Rift. Now I find I can’t get native support for the Rift because I didn’t buy from the Oculus Store. That stinks.

Edited by Phil Lee
  • Agree 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, PJTierney said:
  1. On Oculus, OculusVR. On Steam, OpenVR. Where are you seeing on oculus that it implies both? I only see Oculus/Rift info.
  2. n/a
  3. n/a
  4. Multiplayer, no. Leaderboards, yes. 

So this means that I have to choose between the better running Oculus native version and playing multiplayer? That is quite strange decision.

I'm still going get it though, maybe I'll just have to purchase it twice!-) 

Edited by Chrhun
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, PJTierney said:
  1. On Oculus, OculusVR. On Steam, OpenVR. Where are you seeing on oculus that it implies both? I only see Oculus/Rift info.
  2. n/a
  3. n/a
  4. Multiplayer, no. Leaderboards, yes. 

Ouch. How anti consumer can a company handle a vr release. What a shame.

I either buy the game through steam and get horrible performance or i get it through oculus Home and cant play with my friends. what a Joke....

  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, MTOJay said:

Ouch. How anti consumer can a company handle a vr release. What a shame.

I either buy the game through steam and get horrible performance or i get it through oculus Home and cant play with my friends. what a Joke....

 

Absolutely incredible to scam Oculus users that bought the game on launch like that. I guess they wanted to teach us a lessen to never under any circumstances buy one of their games at launch.

  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, PJTierney said:
  1. On Oculus, OculusVR. On Steam, OpenVR. Where are you seeing on oculus that it implies both? I only see Oculus/Rift info.
  2. n/a
  3. n/a
  4. Multiplayer, no. Leaderboards, yes. 

Hahahahahaha. Wow. So Oculus owners are ****ed. So glad I didn't buy it. And I won't.

Anyway @PJTierney thanks for answering. You're doing a great job btw!! Much better than Christina. And all decision makers at CM, obviously!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just a short feedback after the newest patch.

VR feels very nice, and I had 2h fun. So now Dirt Rally 2 is really DR 2.

My game was in FS mode and I couldn't got it started in VR or without VR, so I had to deinstall SteamVR change the settings to window mode and re-install SteamVR. There are some bugs with lighting and some flickering bushes. Wet stages looking wrong, it's like there is ice and it's very chromium looking. F11 for VR reset is not very well choosen.

The rhythmic stutter bug with HID reading is also not solved. I have seen a lot people on Steam reporting this also, because in VR it's more visible.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Jake Cushing said:

How is something sold at an arms-length 'scummy and anti-consumer'? What does 'artificially staggered' mean? There's a 'natural stagger' they should (despite it being anti-profit) follow?

Somehow Codies are morally expected to sell their game in a way which doesn't maximise sales? I'm all ears on this, seriously.

Holding back DLC for the game just because it has now gone on sale in a different store (after 6 months) is an artificial stagger. It could and should (imho) all release at once, so if a consumer wants to get the VR version from the Oculus store they can go all in. Why isn't there a deluxe edition? Why don't we have any indication on when season (already produced) DLC will make it to the Oculus store?

If you can't see how that is anti-consumer I can't help much more, though maybe see the quotes below for a clue...

6 hours ago, caerphoto said:

It doesn't meany anything at all except maybe that PJ doesn't know the answers and is trying to find out. It's not even been out for a day yet, have a bit of patience.

CMs have known the answers to these questions for months now.

5 hours ago, Phil Lee said:

@PJTierneyWhy does the Steam version not include support for OculusVR with an option to chose at startup? That’s how just about every other sim with support for both protocols work. I bought the sim on Steam when it was released based on the promise of support for the Rift. Now I find I can’t get native support for the Rift because I didn’t buy from the Oculus Store. That stinks.

5 hours ago, MTOJay said:

Ouch. How anti consumer can a company handle a vr release. What a shame.

I either buy the game through steam and get horrible performance or i get it through oculus Home and cant play with my friends. what a Joke....

1 hour ago, Wonderbolt said:

Absolutely incredible to scam Oculus users that bought the game on launch like that. I guess they wanted to teach us a lessen to never under any circumstances buy one of their games at launch.

1 hour ago, bbbwww said:

Hahahahahaha. Wow. So Oculus owners are ****ed. So glad I didn't buy it. And I won't.

Anyway @PJTierney thanks for answering. You're doing a great job btw!! Much better than Christina. And all decision makers at CM, obviously!!

Shaking my head. Bought the deluxe edition day one on the promise of VR and after six months this is what we get. Incredible, but not wholly unexpected from CMs.

5 hours ago, Chrhun said:

So this means that I have to choose between the better running Oculus native version and playing multiplayer? That is quite strange decision.

I'm still going get it though, maybe I'll just have to purchase it twice!-) 

That's exactly what they would like.

There is ONE ray of hope however, which I haven't had a chance to test for myself... buried in this thread Why doesn't Steam version have Native Oculus mode???? OpenVR runs like garbage. Thanks for nothing:

POSSIBLE WORKAROUND: Set the launch option "-vrmode Oculus" in Steam. While launching the game, you'll see that the OVR window no longer appears. I'm pretty sure I'm getting better performance, too--I'm now able to run the game on high without frame drops, whereas before I was getting a lot of drops on medium. My specs are 1080 Ti/7700K@4.9GHz/DDR4-3200

This could just be a placebo though, if the Oculus libraries aren't there I'm not sure this would actually do anything.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, JesseDeya said:

POSSIBLE WORKAROUND: Set the launch option "-vrmode Oculus" in Steam. While launching the game, you'll see that the OVR window no longer appears. I'm pretty sure I'm getting better performance, too--I'm now able to run the game on high without frame drops, whereas before I was getting a lot of drops on medium. My specs are 1080 Ti/7700K@4.9GHz/DDR4-3200

This could just be a placebo though, if the Oculus libraries aren't there I'm not sure this would actually do anything.

I believe this to be placebo. There is an OpenVR API dll in the Steam install of DR2. There isn’t a similar OculusVR API dll. I’d be interested to see a file list for the main folder of an Oculus Store bought version of DR2.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

not mentioned in patch notes: new achievements are now live. they are

  • The Hills Are Alive.... (complete an event in Wales)
  • Mr. Rallycross (win 3 RX events in the Ford RS2000)
  • The Home Favourite (Win in Latvia in the Reinis Nitišs Ford Fiesta Rallycross (MK7))
  • SEND IT (Win at Estering in Kevin Eriksson's Ford Fiesta Rallycross (MK8))
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Phil Lee said:

I believe this to be placebo. There is an OpenVR API dll in the Steam install of DR2. There isn’t a similar OculusVR API dll. I’d be interested to see a file list for the main folder of an Oculus Store bought version of DR2.

Could be, although from memory Dirt Rally 1 also didn’t have a specific Oculus api in the folder structure (but did support Oculus directly). 

I’m tempted to buy the Oculus version and do some frame rate testing then refund it within the 2hr window. 

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, kombajnkoszoncy said:

20190808225215_1.thumb.jpg.7846bdbce0b3fcb2a5d0a9b3aa9c1c32.jpg

There's that weird metallic yellow I was talking about before, right there.

It's a strange colour and draped over scenery at sunset, is the one element that spoils the rest.

Strongly suggest it gets toned down in intensity, and also a change of shade to a more orange colour. @urgaffel

 

Edited by Jake Cushing
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just fired it up on my Rift (Steam version). What a mess, had to lower my settings to LOW just get something close to playable and even then it can barely hold 90fps. At high/ultra it's sub 40fps.

For reference, my rig runs the game in 4k at High/Ultra settings with a min framerate of >90fps and averages >110fps.

This is a horribly unoptimised mess at the moment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Wonderbolt

ah thx. didnt see that. i think i am fine for now since i didnt play any dr2 so far at all.

even though i am not happy how codemasters handled the vr rollout i decided to go with the oculus version in the end for the better performance. 


have to say it runs really really well. (3700x, nvidia 2080, oculus cv1) can bump almost everything up to high with 4XAA and constant 90fps without anyframedrops. would have loved to have the game on steam but oculus store works for me aswell. (sad i cant play with my friends online for now, but hope i can get my moneys worth from the careermode.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is there a way to don't launch Dirt2 in VR mode??? I mean, my computer is not too much accesible... so it's a little bit tricky to unplug the usb of the oculus, so I would like to have a way to launch Dirt2 without VR.

Thanks! 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just to clarify. I bought the Steam version upon release. If I want to run it in VR with my Rift, I will have bad performance because you have to run it via SteamVR? I tried running SteamVR upon release so I could have the game as cinema screen on the Rift, but that gave horrible performance. Ended up using VirtualDesktop.

Edited by Benniz
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MTOJay said:

@Wonderbolt

ah thx. didnt see that. i think i am fine for now since i didnt play any dr2 so far at all.

even though i am not happy how codemasters handled the vr rollout i decided to go with the oculus version in the end for the better performance. 

have to say it runs really really well. (3700x, nvidia 2080, oculus cv1) can bump almost everything up to high with 4XAA and constant 90fps without anyframedrops. would have loved to have the game on steam but oculus store works for me aswell. (sad i cant play with my friends online for now, but hope i can get my moneys worth from the careermode.

Whelp, that confirms it, Steam users have the gimped version.

I have basically an equivalent rig (6700K @ 4.6Ghz, Watercooled 1080Ti @> 2080 performance, oculus cv1), and my experience with the Steam version couldn't be more different.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

not sure if there is any admin reading this.. I have a big problem now. VR is working fine for me, thumbs up and big thanks for delivering it, BUT Iam no longer able to run the game in standard 2D mode. Everytime I run the game its forcing steam VR to lunch. Than I get Fatal Error code 108, HMD not found ..please advise

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For me and other oculus owner who purchased DR2 at start in steam store, maybe we can get special oculus key to get oculus version for free? Why do we need to pay for game twice, if steam version such a ****?

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, df86 said:

For me and other oculus owner who purchased DR2 at start in steam store, maybe we can get special oculus key to get oculus version for free? Why do we need to pay for game twice, if steam version such a ****?

yeah the whole thing is a farce.. been waiting ages for this and still cant play it.. get mega frame drops with SteamVR… need to boot using oculus API. why didn't they include it?

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Jake Cushing said:

There's that weird metallic yellow I was talking about before, right there.

It's a strange colour and draped over scenery at sunset, is the one element that spoils the rest.

Strongly suggest it gets toned down in intensity, and also a change of shade to a more orange colour. @urgaffel

 

I’m not the person for that 😛 I just deal with smoke, dust and precipitation 

Edited by urgaffel
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The game doesn't work in any way for me (separate support issue). But hopefully to help some of the above posters have you tried Open Composite? It bypasses the Steam VR stuff (since using it I've uninstalled Steam VR). It worked great with Skyrim VR so will hopefully help some of your stuttering issues.

Cheers

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, MikeJeffries said:

What was this update that dropped this morning? Anyone know where they posted the changes?

I noticed the menu when you're in the car and hit esc just expanded to let you change more options, but I dont know what else.

the 01 Focus was available online by mistake, so there's that.

also probably VR bugs

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@PJTierney Hello. Framerate drops still exist at Catamarca province Argentina, Calle de los puentes a la inversa, Daytime / Clear / Dry Surface, Car can be any, Mode can be any, tested in Time Trial and Career.

But at new map Dirtfish - framerate is good anywhere. Maybe you need fix maps?

If you need check all maps - I can do it. I can't play career anyway (7 months ago I buyed this game).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Jake Cushing said:

There's that weird metallic yellow I was talking about before, right there.

It's a strange colour and draped over scenery at sunset, is the one element that spoils the rest.

Strongly suggest it gets toned down in intensity, and also a change of shade to a more orange colour. @urgaffel

 

I don't think so. There is nothing wrong with that. The asphalt surface is wet and the sun is shining. Such wet surface works a bit like mirror. The light from sun rays reflects from the road. Once I even took a photo of something like that. Look.

WP_20190613_20_50_17_Pro.thumb.jpg.a25a276d5d621ab4367c37dbec0b9ffd.jpgWP_20190613_20_50_08_Pro.thumb.jpg.4d22087cdeebd981aa41a7e4bc06dd2b.jpg

But obviously it is not so intensive because then the sun didn't shine so bright like it is in case of Ribadelles Spain.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, KahvaEel said:

Not including OculusVR support into Steam version, is a major dickmove. I supported from Day 1 by purchasing full priced Deluxe Edition. Codemasters said VR would come in Summer. Lot of people have done this, and played on pancake screen until VR comes. Even if not on Day 1.

On my overclocked 8700K and 1080Ti OC the performance in OpenVR is absolute garbage. Stutters, framedrops. No matter settings.

And FYI, the command lines like -vrmode Oculus are placebo, @PJTierney said here that there is no command line option for Steam version: https://forums.codemasters.com/topic/41487-vr-dirtfish-patch-notes-version-17-of-dirt-rally-20/?page=3&tab=comments#comment-45276

So people are imagining a "fix". The Steam install folder contains only OpenVR_api.dll and that's it. No OculusVR_api.dll

Now you say I must double dip for 55€ again, to get playable performance? The Oculus Store version doesn't even include DLCs! So you expect me to pay twice for DLC too? And not to mention, DLC that is already recycled from Dirt Rally 1 for the most part.

How about giving me a VR support, that works and I paid for? Like you goddamn promised.

In your blog you even advertised Steam sale, and right after that say "VR: Yes, it's still coming!":  http://blog.codemasters.com/community/06/the-dirt-roadbook-june-28-2019/

How misleading can you get... you tricked VR owners into buying from Steam... so that now they must repurchase from Oculus store

This pretty much sums it up.

Codemasters you suck. Please unfuck this VR situation immediately.

  • Agree 9
  • Disagree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JustHonour said:

The game doesn't work in any way for me (separate support issue). But hopefully to help some of the above posters have you tried Open Composite? It bypasses the Steam VR stuff (since using it I've uninstalled Steam VR). It worked great with Skyrim VR so will hopefully help some of your stuttering issues.

Cheers

I just tried it. Crashes the game on startup. so no luck there sadly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, KahvaEel said:

Not including OculusVR support into Steam version, is a major dickmove. I supported from Day 1 by purchasing full priced Deluxe Edition. Codemasters said VR would come in Summer. Lot of people have done this, and played on pancake screen until VR comes. Even if not on Day 1.

On my overclocked 8700K and 1080Ti OC the performance in OpenVR is absolute garbage. Stutters, framedrops. No matter settings.

And FYI, the command lines like -vrmode Oculus are placebo, @PJTierney said here that there is no command line option for Steam version: https://forums.codemasters.com/topic/41487-vr-dirtfish-patch-notes-version-17-of-dirt-rally-20/?page=3&tab=comments#comment-45276

So people are imagining a "fix". The Steam install folder contains only OpenVR_api.dll and that's it. No OculusVR_api.dll

Now you say I must double dip for 55€ again, to get playable performance? The Oculus Store version doesn't even include DLCs! So you expect me to pay twice for DLC too? And not to mention, DLC that is already recycled from Dirt Rally 1 for the most part.

How about giving me a VR support, that works and I paid for? Like you goddamn promised.

In your blog you even advertised Steam sale, and right after that say "VR: Yes, it's still coming!":  http://blog.codemasters.com/community/06/the-dirt-roadbook-june-28-2019/

How misleading can you get... you tricked VR owners into buying from Steam... so that now they must repurchase from Oculus store

Yep, sort it codies please.. ive been waiting so long for this, bought the deluxe edition.. still cant play it.. ill hang on another couple of days and probably refund if it isn't fixed (wont buy on oculus store)

  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, James710 said:

Yep, sort it codies please.. ive been waiting so long for this, bought the deluxe edition.. still cant play it.. ill hang on another couple of days and probably refund if it isn't fixed (wont buy on oculus store)

I second this! After purchasing the Deluxe Edition, I'm not going to make a new purchase of the game to make it run properly with VR.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, JustHonour said:

@James710

Based on what you said I reinstalled steam vr and disabled open composite.. The game now "runs"... but is a stuttery mess as others above (and elsewhere) have posted. Basically unplayable. Ugh.

I just hope they acknowledge it and get it fixed for us. 

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, James710 said:

I just hope they acknowledge it and get it fixed for us. 

That's not the Codemaster's ways.

Step 1: Ignore for as long as possible

Step 2: Acknowledge but downplay

Step 3: See step 1

Step 4: Do nothing

Step 5: See step 3

Step 6: Do nothing

Step 5: Tease a fix and pretend your customers are excited

Steps 6 though 11: Do nothing

Step 12: Ensure many months have passed, half arse a fix that doesn't actually work

Step 13: Proclaim success in a blog post and never address the issue again.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm gutted by this as well since I bought Dirt Rally 2 when I heard VR was coming. I barely played it on monitor since I always tend to go to race sims which have VR support since I got it.

 

The bad thing is this seems to be a commercial deal with Oculus and the customer is the victim here. What frustrates me is that both Codemasters and Oculus will have angry customers because of this. 50% of the VR users on Steam have Oculus headsets. That's a lot of Oculus players that have the steam version since they knew VR was coming. If the game would launch with VR and it was made clear that only the version in the Oculus store would have native support I would understand it. But at this point I can only feel deceived. I tried to play it and the performance is just too bad with Steam VR.. I was really looking forward to this.

 

I might try to ask Steam for a refund (while I have more than 2 hours playtime) explaining I bought it for VR ..

 

 

  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, CerebralVortex said:

If the game would launch with VR and it was made clear that only the version in the Oculus store would have native support I would understand it. But at this point I can only feel deceived. I tried to play it and the performance is just too bad with Steam VR.. I was really looking forward to this.

 The defence rests.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • The topic was unpinned
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...