Jump to content Jump to content

VR, DirtFish & Patch Notes: Version 1.7 of DiRT Rally 2.0


PJTierney
 Share

Recommended Posts

As a test I'm currently installing the Oculus version to see how much of a difference it is and what files, if any, are different. I plan on asking for a refund from the Oculus Store once I've seen what the performance difference is.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Issued a refund with Steam for my purchase yesterday. Awful awful Open VR performance even on low settings. Can't set sensitivity stuff for my Thrustmaster T300. And bugs...it's even worse than Project Cars 2. And this "EA-like" platform decision to exclude steam users from Oculus support, what a dissapointment. Shame on you codemasters, for releasing this garbage VR product (at least, in this way).

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Phil Lee said:

As a test I'm currently installing the Oculus version to see how much of a difference it is and what files, if any, are different. I plan on asking for a refund from the Oculus Store once I've seen what the performance difference is.

Would like to hear this. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Phil Lee said:

As a test I'm currently installing the Oculus version to see how much of a difference it is and what files, if any, are different. I plan on asking for a refund from the Oculus Store once I've seen what the performance difference is.

Maybe it is possible to compile working version with Steam's DLCs and with oculus runtime library? It would be perfectly 🙂

I had similar issue with Ethan Carter VR game from steam. I wrote about troubles to developers, and they send me for free key to oculus store version of game. And that was fine for me. Why Codemasters can't do the same for those, who already purchased DR2 in steam?

Edited by df86
T9 - correct mistypes
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

After a long download, I got the Oculus version installed. I had some sound issues which I resolved by setting Windows to use the Rift S speakers and changed the sound settings in Oculus home to explicitly use the Rift S speakers. I also had an issue with my pedals not being recognised properly. I had to delete the assignment, reassign them and restart the sim to get them to work.

When you run the sim, a mirror window opens which shows the the distorted 2 eye view. Inside the HMD, you see the same interface as in the Steam version. SteamVR does not open up. Performance is many times better than the SteamVR version. It is smooth but not quite as smooth as other sims I’m used to (iRacing and AC). I was able to run Medium/High settings and get a smooth framerate. On the SteamVR version I couldn’t get smooth FPS at all, even on ultra low. I think the graphics are washed out compared with Dirt Rally, iRacing and AC, even with reduced brightness.

There are some track and car files missing from the Rift version compared with the deluxe Steam version. The SteamVR api dll is also missing. Various other files have different sizes. I’m not going to post any files lists, comparisons or try to assemble my own version from the two sets of files because I don’t want to jeopardise the refund I’ve requested a from the Oculus Store. I’m not going to do any more testing so I don’t go over the 2 hour time limit either.

Edited by Phil Lee
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Social Media & Community Team
8 hours ago, KahvaEel said:

And FYI, the command lines like -vrmode Oculus are placebo, @PJTierney said here that there is no command line option for Steam version: https://forums.codemasters.com/topic/41487-vr-dirtfish-patch-notes-version-17-of-dirt-rally-20/?page=3&tab=comments#comment-45276

To clarify. 2 and 3 had “if yes” as part of 1’s response.

Since 1 was “No”, 2 and 3 don’t apply to that user’s specific question.

 

As mentioned in the Roadbook today the team is actively looking at all VR issues and seeing what can be done. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Social Media & Community Team
8 hours ago, MikeJeffries said:

What was this update that dropped this morning? Anyone know where they posted the changes?

1.2 GB? Preload of Estering files.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Social Media & Community Team
On 8/8/2019 at 9:01 PM, bbbwww said:

Anyway @PJTierney thanks for answering. You're doing a great job btw!!

Thanks for the kind words 🙂

Admittedly it’s not been a good few days as I don’t like seeing players be unhappy but I’ve relayed what feedback I can to the team and they’ll do their bit, just like they’ve done with every update. 🙂 

Some bugs and issues (in general, not just talking VR here) are easier to resolve than others, and some for various reasons cannot be resolved at all, but anything that can be done is looked into for sure. Nobody on the team is looking to “screw any players over” as ultimately our jobs rely on games being successful 🙂 

  • Agree 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

Thanks for the kind words 🙂

Admittedly it’s not been a good few days as I don’t like seeing players be unhappy but I’ve relayed what feedback I can to the team and they’ll do their bit, just like they’ve done with every update. 🙂 

Some bugs and issues (in general, not just talking VR here) are easier to resolve than others, and some for various reasons cannot be resolved at all, but anything that can be done is looked into for sure. Nobody on the team is looking to “screw any players over” as ultimately our jobs rely on games being successful 🙂 

I can imagine its difficult being in your position. I always try to be constructive when it comes to this type of issue. Nothing comes of hurling abuse.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Social Media & Community Team
5 minutes ago, Phil Lee said:

I can imagine its difficult being in your position. I always try to be constructive when it comes to this type of issue. Nothing comes of hurling abuse.

Yup.

I've been a similar position as a player for well over a decade (both here and on the Forza forums). Constructive, respectful feedback always does better than vague "fix it" demands and name-calling. 🙂 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Phil Lee said:

There are some track and car files missing from the Rift version compared with the deluxe Steam version. The SteamVR api dll is also missing. Various other files have different sizes. I’m not going to post any files lists, comparisons or try to assemble my own version from the two sets of files because I don’t want to jeopardise the refund I’ve requested a from the Oculus Store. I’m not going to do any more testing so I don’t go over the 2 hour time limit either.

Thanks for testing- when you do receive the Oculus Store refund, any chance you could post the file list? (here or on the Dirt reddit) 

48 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

Thanks for the kind words 🙂

Admittedly it’s not been a good few days as I don’t like seeing players be unhappy but I’ve relayed what feedback I can to the team and they’ll do their bit, just like they’ve done with every update. 🙂 

Some bugs and issues (in general, not just talking VR here) are easier to resolve than others, and some for various reasons cannot be resolved at all, but anything that can be done is looked into for sure. Nobody on the team is looking to “screw any players over” as ultimately our jobs rely on games being successful 🙂 

Thanks for patience and responding to the issues! As an Oculus owner who has been waiting for VR support to buy DR 2.0, it's a bit of a frustrating position to be in.  

-Will the Deluxe version (or any DLC content) be available on the Oculus Store?

-Can Oculus owners use the .dll files from the Oculus Store version on a Steam install to work around the performance issues people are getting with OpenVR?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Social Media & Community Team
1 minute ago, ortazel said:
  1. -Will the Deluxe version (or any DLC content) be available on the Oculus Store?
  2. -Can Oculus owners use the .dll files from the Oculus Store version on a Steam install to work around the performance issues people are getting with OpenVR?

 

  1. DLC content form other platforms will be available on Oculus in the future.
  2. That one's far too technical for me to be answering from home on a Friday evening 🙂  (in short, I don't have a clue but I'll try and ask next week)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

I've been a similar position as a player for well over a decade (both here and on the Forza forums). Constructive, respectful feedback always does better than vague "fix it" demands and name-calling. 🙂 

 

:classic_blink: It does? Dayum who'd have thunk it.

 

:classic_biggrin:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Could I ask the following regarding future console updates:

Are the following under consideration?

1.. HDR quality and bloom effects

2.. Headlight intensity on evening/night stages

3.. An option to disable rear view mirrors in cockpit view

4.. FOV adjustment

A simple yes/no will be fine but with Wreckfest, WRC8 and NASCAR all imminent i've got options now and don't really want to be hanging around hoping for the best so it would be nice to know either way. Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Social Media & Community Team
1 minute ago, _BorisTheFrog_ said:

Could I ask the following regarding future console updates:

Are the following under consideration?

1.. HDR quality and bloom effects

2.. Headlight intensity on evening/night stages

3.. An option to disable rear view mirrors in cockpit view

4.. FOV adjustment

A simple yes/no will be fine but with Wreckfest, WRC8 and NASCAR all imminent i've got options now and don't really want to be hanging around hoping for the best so it would be nice to know either way. Thanks

  1. HDR brightness was increased in 1.7, I think the setting allows you to turn it up more now.
  2. I know the team was looking into some lighting things but can't remember if it was specifically that.
  3. First time that's been requested to my mind.
  4. No plans for this one.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, PJTierney said:
  1. HDR brightness was increased in 1.7, I think the setting allows you to turn it up more now.
  2. I know the team was looking into some lighting things but can't remember if it was specifically that.
  3. First time that's been requested to my mind.
  4. No plans for this one.

Thanks.

HDR brightness (TV/console) wasn't really the problem, it was more about the quality of image. You'll have to excuse me for my ignorance here but my son (nerdy PC geek who knows the correct jargon) says it has something to do with the HDMI black level. I don't really know what that means but changing my TV to PC output and setting the black level to 'low' does give a noticeable (but marginal) improvement. To put it another way. With HDR off the writing on loading screens is deep red and the location image is clear and vivid. With HDR on the writing is a pale red and the location image lacks vibrance. Increasing HDR brightness simply amplifies the pale colours. Sorry for the vague description but i'm just an ancient female gamer with no teccy knowledge.

Regarding the rear view mirror. I've been reliably informed that there is an option to disable the mirror (rally) on PC and being as how some are quite large and obtrusive it would be nice to also be able to remove them.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, kombajnkoszoncy said:

I don't think so. There is nothing wrong with that. The asphalt surface is wet and the sun is shining. Such wet surface works a bit like mirror. The light from sun rays reflects from the road. Once I even took a photo of something like that. Look.

I'm not sure which planets you've been to, but this:

20190808225215_1.jpg.cce048309c26fb6e62820da0d8619f13.thumb.jpg.2c349f30674e4459f7e294ba232050df.jpg

... is not realistic, at least on Earth. Your photo doesn't suggest so either. And it gets worse than the above screencap.

If the culprit is the yellow in the sky, then it would be a lot better if it was more orange, so it had some red to tie in with that purple.

At the moment that metallic yellow looks completely strange, especially spilling onto the road in that thick fashion.

@urgaffel apologies but could you at least pass this on? It's disconcerting seeing this come into view in sunset stages when it's otherwise quite lovely.

  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Jake Cushing said:

I'm not sure which planets you've been to, but this:

20190808225215_1.jpg.cce048309c26fb6e62820da0d8619f13.thumb.jpg.2c349f30674e4459f7e294ba232050df.jpg

... is not realistic, at least on Earth. Your photo doesn't suggest so either. And it gets worse than the above screencap.

If the culprit is the yellow in the sky, then it would be a lot better if it was more orange, so it had some red to tie in with that purple.

At the moment that metallic yellow looks completely strange, especially spilling onto the road in that thick fashion.

@urgaffel apologies but could you at least pass this on? It's disconcerting seeing this come into view in sunset stages when it's otherwise quite lovely.

The llighting is nice but for racing purposes it really doesn't need to be so intense...

This is the closest 'real' photo I could find and (imo) it shows an equally as impressive sunrise but with more subtle lighting

https://www.shutterstock.com/es/image-photo/oad-by-sea-sunrise-time-lofoten-547827592

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Roben said:

Starting the game requires involvement VR.

I want to play on the monitor.

image.thumb.png.2361c63c27aa3df3fbd56bd13d5edaef.png

 

Same for me "Fatal error (108): HMD not founfd". Why not a selection menu to decide which version to use? It's just idiotic. Is there a workaround such aa a launch parameter to add?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, PJTierney said:

To clarify. 2 and 3 had “if yes” as part of 1’s response.

Since 1 was “No”, 2 and 3 don’t apply to that user’s specific question.

On 8/8/2019 at 7:01 PM, PJTierney said:

On Oculus, OculusVR. On Steam, OpenVR.

Well, end result is the same. Like you said, on Steam, OpenVR. With inferior performance. No launch parameter to change it to Oculus mode, so that performance would be on par with Oculus Store version. Which I'm sure everyone who purchased the game (many people before Steam sales, many people on Day 1), well deserves.

If there is such parameter, please share the information and dunno... sticky post it everywhere, with largest, fattest font available. Until that, I believe there is no such parameter.

I really hope you can bring the Steam VR performance 1:1 on par with Oculus store version. The early adopters, owners of Steam deluxe edition, and in general your customers deserve it. It is obvious that SteamVR reduces performance (in this case drastically, but always some), only way to make it run optimally, is adding Oculus Native support into Steam version too.

Edited by KahvaEel
  • Agree 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The VR experience with WMR (Lenovo) and a RTX 2060 it's not bad at all but after a shakedown for example, the stint is unpalybale cause the frame rate falls miserably and stutter. There is still work to be done to optimize performance.

How's possible that there is no support nor sign of life? If you google for support you only find thread merchandising the news, no one to solve the problems introduced. Am I in the wrong place?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bouth the game on steam, terrible performance in vr. Bouth it on oculus store and no sound 😞

So now i have 2 versjon of the game, and none are working...
And we need a reset view button mapping. And a icon on the cars if they are left hand drive or rigth hand drive

 

Edited by kellemann
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, PJTierney said:

To clarify. 2 and 3 had “if yes” as part of 1’s response.

Since 1 was “No”, 2 and 3 don’t apply to that user’s specific question.

 

As mentioned in the Roadbook today the team is actively looking at all VR issues and seeing what can be done. 

Sorry PJ this is bull. You misunderstood my question #1.

#1 was if the devs implemented both. They did. They did use both libraries in development, contrary to DR1. So the actual answer to #1 is yes. They just didn't compile both in any store version.
#2 is no. No version contains both libraries. Oculus Store version only contains OculusVR (obviously), and Steam Store Version only contains OpenVR library (sadly) - contrary to DR1.
#3 is obsolete, since #2 is no.

Was removing OculusVR support in the Steam Version part of the deal with Oculus?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, PJTierney said:

 

  1. DLC content form other platforms will be available on Oculus in the future.
  2. That one's far too technical for me to be answering from home on a Friday evening 🙂  (in short, I don't have a clue but I'll try and ask next week)

Thanks- appreciate the answers and good to know that DLC is coming to Oculus... any idea when? 🙂 

1 hour ago, kellemann said:

Bouth the game on steam, terrible performance in vr. Bouth it on oculus store and no sound 😞

So now i have 2 versjon of the game, and none are working...
And we need a reset view button mapping. And a icon on the cars if they are left hand drive or rigth hand drive

 

... and this is why I haven't bought it yet! The Steam Deluxe version is much cheaper (about $38 through Steam resellers) and has all the DLC, but it sounds like I will get bad performance on a Rift CV1. Meanwhile, the Oculus version is $60 for the base game, no DLC yet and possibly has no audio?  

I want to spend money on this game, make it easy for me 🙂 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, bbbwww said:

Sorry PJ this is bull. You misunderstood my question #1.

#1 was if the devs implemented both. They did. They did use both libraries in development, contrary to DR1. So the actual answer to #1 is yes. They just didn't compile both in any store version.
#2 is no. No version contains both libraries. Oculus Store version only contains OculusVR (obviously), and Steam Store Version only contains OpenVR library (sadly) - contrary to DR1.
#3 is obsolete, since #2 is no.

Was removing OculusVR support in the Steam Version part of the deal with Oculus?

 

This is actually the most important point here, but most people seem to be missing it.

The story of Dirt Rally 1 VR (PC)

  • Dirt Rally 1 sold on Steam (first) and although not promised at launch, eventually included support for the Oculus Rift natively.
  • Dirt Rally 1 did not include support for Vive (or other headsets) but could be played with Revive and worked very well.
  • Dirt Rally 1 was eventually added to the Oculus Store, and had exactly the same VR performance as the Steam version.
  • Dirt Rally 1 VR was outsourced to Climax Studios

The story of Dirt Rally 2 VR (PC)

  • Dirt Rally 2 sold on Steam (first) and was advertised - before release - that support for Oculus headsets would be coming in summer.
  • Dirt Rally 2 did not mention any support for Vive (or other headsets) during the leadup to VR release.
  • Dirt Rally 2 received it's VR update in summer as promised, but did NOT support Oculus headsets natively as expected.
  • Dirt Rally 2 used OpenVR on steam instead of Oculus runtimes, so supported more headsets but ran terribly on all of them.
  • Dirt Rally 2 was added to the Oculus store, but the Oculus store version runs SIGNIFICANTLY better than the Steam version. 
  • Dirt Rally 2 VR was also outsourced to Climax Studios

As far as I can tell, there is absolutely no technical reason that the Steam version of Dirt Rally 2 couldn't be patched to use Oculus APIs for Oculus headsets... unless there is a commercial reason why this can't be done - namely Oculus money hatting the development and therefore insisting that the version in their store must run better. It certainly smells suspicious.

9 hours ago, ortazel said:

Thanks- appreciate the answers and good to know that DLC is coming to Oculus... any idea when? 🙂 

... and this is why I haven't bought it yet! The Steam Deluxe version is much cheaper (about $38 through Steam resellers) and has all the DLC, but it sounds like I will get bad performance on a Rift CV1. Meanwhile, the Oculus version is $60 for the base game, no DLC yet and possibly has no audio?  

I want to spend money on this game, make it easy for me 🙂 

See above, you won't get an honest answer here. Based on historical data you will know about the release of the DLC on the Oculus store as it happens, if you're lucky. 

12 hours ago, Perell0ne said:

The VR experience with WMR (Lenovo) and a RTX 2060 it's not bad at all but after a shakedown for example, the stint is unpalybale cause the frame rate falls miserably and stutter. There is still work to be done to optimize performance.

How's possible that there is no support nor sign of life? If you google for support you only find thread merchandising the news, no one to solve the problems introduced. Am I in the wrong place?

Welcome to the CM forums.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, JesseDeya said:

This is actually the most important point here, but most people seem to be missing it.

The story of Dirt Rally 1 VR (PC)

  • Dirt Rally 1 sold on Steam (first) and although not promised at launch, eventually included support for the Oculus Rift natively.
  • Dirt Rally 1 did not include support for Vive (or other headsets) but could be played with Revive and worked very well.
  • Dirt Rally 1 was eventually added to the Oculus Store, and had exactly the same VR performance as the Steam version.
  • Dirt Rally 1 VR was outsourced to Climax Studios

The story of Dirt Rally 2 VR (PC)

  • Dirt Rally 2 sold on Steam (first) and was advertised - before release - that support for Oculus headsets would be coming in summer.
  • Dirt Rally 2 did not mention any support for Vive (or other headsets) during the leadup to VR release.
  • Dirt Rally 2 received it's VR update in summer as promised, but did NOT support Oculus headsets natively as expected.
  • Dirt Rally 2 used OpenVR on steam instead of Oculus runtimes, so supported more headsets but ran terribly on all of them.
  • Dirt Rally 2 was added to the Oculus store, but the Oculus store version runs SIGNIFICANTLY better than the Steam version. 
  • Dirt Rally 2 VR was also outsourced to Climax Studios

As far as I can tell, there is absolutely no technical reason that the Steam version of Dirt Rally 2 couldn't be patched to use Oculus APIs for Oculus headsets... unless there is a commercial reason why this can't be done - namely Oculus money hatting the development and therefore insisting that the version in their store must run better. It certainly smells suspicious.

See above, you won't get an honest answer here. Based on historical data you will know about the release of the DLC on the Oculus store as it happens, if you're lucky. 

Welcome to the CM forums.

I’m just hoping it gets sorted this week, or I’ll give up and refund. 

Purchased a rift and a legit copy of Dirt 2 which promised VR for oculus headset with my hard earned and I can’t play.. 

Hope it wasn’t a business decision by oculus/Codemasters. We don’t need stuff like this happening in an already segregated VR market.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a few question regarding VR"

1. Is it possible to play replays in full VR? in DR1 it was optionally possible. In DR2 I cannot find the option
2. Is it possible to lower world shaking in favour of cockpit shaking? Again, I cannot find such option.

Also I found VR a bit unbalanced in regards of brightness. Some stages seems to be too dark while other overbrightened, resulting with white (or wiped out) road surface. Because there are two extremes, it cannot be resolved by setting brightness (unless I will do that before every stage)
It's possible it is a flaw of HMD (Vive), but still, a game should take it into account I think.

 

with regards

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Social Media & Community Team
14 hours ago, bbbwww said:

You misunderstood my question #1.

Seems I did, sorry about that.

 

For what it’s worth I have asked if OculusSDK support is in the works for the Steam version, as it’s clear that that’s the #1 issue people are having on Steam right now.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Social Media & Community Team
4 minutes ago, MaXyMsrpl said:

Is it possible to lower world shaking in favour of cockpit shaking? Again, I cannot find such option.

If you look in the comfort options there should be a setting for Locked Orientation. Toggle that and your view should shake around in line with what the car is doing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

For what it’s worth I have asked if OculusSDK support is in the works for the Steam version, as it’s clear that that’s the #1 issue people are having on Steam right now.

It's worth a lot, thanks for sharing that, I'll admit I'm surprised you did.

Looking forward to a timeline on a fix.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@PJTierney

Thank you for quick response. You are working 24/7. We appreciate that.

I forgot about one more think I want to ask:

1. is there something to scale VR world a bit? I found cars interior to feel too small. The same I feel in DR1. Something like World Scale setting in PC2

 

with regards

Edited by MaXyMsrpl
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, James710 said:

Dirt Rally 2 used OpenVR on steam instead of Oculus runtimes, so supported more headsets but ran terribly on all of them.

As one who struggled to get DR1 to run well in VR, I cannot agree with this assessment on DR2.0 VR, however I only own one headset to test with.

Also shoutout to those who predicted that if VR got added there would be various peoples complaining their particular platform was less favoured than some other. :classic_tongue:

1 hour ago, MaXyMsrpl said:

Some stages seems to be too dark while other overbrightened, resulting with white (or wiped out) road surface. Because there are two extremes, it cannot be resolved by setting brightness (unless I will do that before every stage)
It's possible it is a flaw of HMD (Vive)

Some lighting is sub-optimal on my Dell Visor as well but I thought it'd just be due to the quality of the displays, I gotta get my hands on one of those Samsung Odyssey's.

Edited by nbates66
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Social Media & Community Team
15 minutes ago, kellemann said:

There is still not a single word from codemaster about many people having no sound in the oculus version. Please inform me that you will look in to this....

It's also the weekend and I'm just hanging out on the forums in my spare time 🙂

 

I've seen a few reports of it that could be passed on. Is the lack of audio happening throughout the entire game or in specific areas?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The entire game. No sound as soon as you start the game. I have a rift s and also have the game on steam (unplayable at the moment because of extrymly low fps).
Sorry for beeing unpacient, but i have waited a half year for this, bouth 2 versjons of the game this week(first stem then oculus)and none are working.
But the little i have tried without sound was fantastick. Really looking forward to playing it more when it is fixed 🙂
Btw is there a way to see if a car is left hand drive or rigth hand drive in the menus?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Social Media & Community Team
7 minutes ago, kellemann said:

The entire game. No sound as soon as you start the game.

Okay, will add it to the bug list.

 

7 minutes ago, kellemann said:

Btw is there a way to see if a car is left hand drive or rigth hand drive in the menus?  

No.

 

In general, you can figure out which is which based on the country the car is made in (though this isn't always guaranteed as it all depends on what real-life car model the team sourced).

If it's from the UK or Japan, wheel should be on the right-hand side.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, PJTierney said:

Seems I did, sorry about that.

 

For what it’s worth I have asked if OculusSDK support is in the works for the Steam version, as it’s clear that that’s the #1 issue people are having on Steam right now.

Thank you! That’s all we need right now, a bit of clarity (to keep me sane) 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, JesseDeya said:

Dirt Rally 2 was added to the Oculus store, but the Oculus store version runs SIGNIFICANTLY better than the Steam version. 

That's 100% wrong. On my Valve Index and on the WMR HMDs the Oculus Version does not run at all. 
It's very interesting to see, that the Oculus customers think that all people use the Facebook Hardware.

Edit: Looked for your problem and according to reddit you should try -vrmode Oculus in the Steam launch options.

Beside that, there are a lot of bugs in the VR version and it's poorly optimized. AA is e.g. very bad implemented, the lighting and colors in my headset are way to bright so I had to go down to 0.3 brightness what's leads to problems in the darker areas.  

I can't use the keyboard in VR, so no way to rename a championship or other things where you need to input something with the keyboard. 

Or the idea of CM that we have close SteamVR to play in VR ... what? Missing start menu in Steam for VR or flat gaming, etc.

Edited by Peter Mathen
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Peter Mathen said:

That's 100% wrong. On my Valve Index and on the WMR HMDs the Oculus Version does not run at all. 
It's very interesting to see, that the Oculus customers think that all people use the Facebook Hardware.

Edit: Looked for your problem and according to reddit you should try -vrmode Oculus in the Steam launch options.

Beside that, there are a lot of bugs in the VR version and it's poorly optimized. AA is e.g. very bad implemented, the lighting and colors in my headset are way to bright so I had to go down to 0.3 brightness what's leads to problems in the darker areas.  

I can't use the keyboard in VR, so no way to rename a championship or other things where you need to input something with the keyboard. 

Or the idea of CM that we have close SteamVR to play in VR ... what? Missing start menu in Steam for VR or flat gaming, etc.

 

oh come on. he is obviously talking about people with a rift when he is comparing steam/oculus home versions. no, we are not thinking that all people use the facebook hardware. we are fully aware that many people are using vives, indexes, wmr or pimax devices. thats not the point he is making and i think you are aware of that?! its a major step in the right direction that the game comes with open vr support from the get go. thats fantastic and thats how it should have been for dr1 aswell. that however does not change that the game runs 200% better on oculus home with the native oculus sdk for oculus rift users. (i can run 4x AA on oculus home, everything on high and still rock 90fps - not possible under any circumstance on steam atm) 

and no, putting in "-vrmode Oculus" does not use the native oculus sdk. we are not yet fully sure what it does because it does something for some, but it certainly is not falling back to the oculus sdk. steam vr is still launching and it still runs way worse then on the rift store. 

this is frustrating for a lot of players (with an oculus vr headset) who supported the game early on after vr support was announced because those people now have spend money on a game that they would most probably wouldnt have bought if that would have been clear to them. and what makes this situation even worse is that the 2 versions are different. you cant join steam multiplayer lobbies if you buy the game on oculus home, and the rift version is missing a lot of content atm with no date or any idea when all that stuff will be available. 

its also frustrating because its undeniable that the work for the oculus sdk has been put in. there is a version on another store that runs the rift hardware natively. so there is aboslutely no reason to take that feature out of the steam version. other games are able to support 2 sdks and allow you to choose whatever you wanna run with your software. 

so as a rift user you have 2 options, either get the full game with multiplayer capabilities to play with your 2d friends and have ****** perofrmance, or buy the game on oculus home (maybe even a second time) for better performance but miss out on all the other things.

how that is a desirable approach for a developer is beyond me. at the end this is only really hurting the consumer. 

i am really looking forward to what @PJTierney gets as an answer on wether they are working on putting the rift option up to steam. its undeniable that it is possible, its undeniable that the most of the work for that has already been put in. so there arent many reasons to not include it.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Slim said:
For those struggling to get decent performance in VR. Check this post out over at RD https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/dirt-2-0-vr-update-now-live.171945/page-3#post-3024047
 
Seems that the in game AA is rubbish and the VR killer. I got smooth 90 fps with these settings.

All these recent suggestions, I am sorry, are bunk.  The main issue is that the Steam version hasn't an option to run Oculus native, like the Oculus version.

Please do not post relatively worthless suggestions eg. how turning down AA etc. gives a few more FPS. Oculus users want a Oculus native version, not random performance tips.

That being said, people need to be aware that it is the weekend. 

Furthermore, just pointing out something in case people don't know: Oculus actually funded (?) codemasters to release this VR version, from what I heard. So the fact that the Oculus version runs better and that there is not an Oculus native version for Steam may well be intentional.

Personally, I am surprised that according to the forum guy here there are indeed two *versions*, an Oculus native version and of course the Steam version. Common sense would say there is only one actual code of the game, which can be "switched" with options and/or config files. But as it looks, there seem indeed be two different versions.

Anyway, I would wait for after the weekend until we hear something re updates etc.

Edited by flexy123
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, flexy123 said:

All these recent suggestions, I am sorry, are bunk.  The main issue is that the Steam version hasn't an option to run Oculus native, like the Oculus version.

Please do not post relatively worthless suggestions eg. how turning down AA etc. gives a few more FPS. Oculus users want a Oculus native version, not random performance tips.

That being said, people need to be aware that it is the weekend. 

Furthermore, just pointing out something in case people don't know: Oculus actually funded (?) codemasters to release this VR version, from what I heard. So the fact that the Oculus version runs better and that there is not an Oculus native version for Steam may well be intentional.

Personally, I am surprised that according to the forum guy here there are indeed two *versions*, an Oculus native version and of course the Steam version. Common sense would say there is only one actual code of the game, which can be "switched" with options and config files. But as it looks, there seem indeed be two different versions.

Anyway, I would wait for after the weekend until we hear something re updates etc.

You're welcome!

However, I'll point out that I went from being able to only achieve close to 90fps running the game on medium to being able to run on the high preset with some options pushed to ultra and getting a buttery smooth 90 fps with these settings.

Edited by Slim
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Slim, the point is: Even if these tweaks add a lot to performance, it would mean that without OpenVR and instead Oculus native it would be even more. MUCH more.

 

Edit: I apologize!! Of course any performance tips are always great, but I am sure you know what I meant.

Edited by flexy123
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have just started game for the first time since update.

I have spent long time lately for testing and setting graphic options to get smooth performance with best possible graphic quality.

Well, thanks for reseting these to default high preset without any warning before. Next time I am going to make screenshots.

Just saying.

But this isn't funny at all.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • The topic was unpinned
On 8/11/2019 at 5:56 PM, Slim said:
For those struggling to get decent performance in VR. Check this post out over at RD https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/dirt-2-0-vr-update-now-live.171945/page-3#post-3024047
 
Seems that the in game AA is rubbish and the VR killer. I got smooth 90 fps with these settings.

2nd day in VR gaming, it's so good and that's what I was waiting for.

The tips in the link are good, I have disabled the AA in DR2 and used 4x AA in Nvidia driver (the normal one, will try tomorrow the SSAA). 

I got a good performance 90 fps stable, even in night and rain with a very good image, ok not the PC2 quality but decent. I don't like the white reflections from wet tracks, this is looking sometimes like snow but most times it has a metal or chrome touch. Also the brightness is to unstable, in night and wet conditions way to bright on sunny days in the shadows to dark. But nevertheless it's a very good start with VR.

Edited by Peter Mathen
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

VR is great!

Don't know if it is proper place, or I should start new thread.

There are two things which would contribute to dr2 vr excellence:

1. ability to change a world scale (cars interiors seems a bit smaller than irl right now)

2. render HUD plane closer. From simracer perspective I can live without hud, but it is too small, hardly readable. it's valid for in-game menus too. Maybe asking for configurable 2D plane distance it too much, but making it persistently a bit closer would definitely help

 

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...