DiRT Rally 2.0: Version 1.7 VR Feedback

Posted (edited)

Game is just unplayable on steam with the Oculus Rift CV1, the framerate and frametimes are all overh te place; with constantly stuttering and lag. I even tried on the lowest graphical settings possible, and it was the same experiance as trying to run it in Ultra settings. Its a very vomit inducing experience. VR has never made me feel ill till trying DR2.0 VR on steam today. I bought the game at release, so I am locked into my purchase now. But I have to be honest, if I was a new user to DR2.0 and only just bought it today. I would have requested a steam refund.

What platform you're playing on (Steam or Oculus)

Steam

What headset you're using.

Oculus Rift CV1 with 2x Oculus sensors

What your PC setup/build is like (graphics card, processor etc.).

Intel core i7 6700k @4.2GHz
MSI Z170A Krait Gaming Motherboard
MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X 8gb GDDR5X
16gb Corsair Vengeance lpx 3000mhz ddr4
Windows 10 (fully updated)

Whether you're a Standard or Deluxe user (Steam only).

Deluxe

Whether or not you have any non-standard peripherals connected, like steering wheels, gaming mice etc.

Thrustmaster T300 RS-GT with T3PA pro pedals
2x TH8A shifters (one in H pattern, one in sequential mode for use as a handbrake)
Logitech G502 wired gaming mouse
Logitech G810 Mechanical keyboard
Logitech Unified reciever wireless mouse and keyboard (used while in racing seat)

Edited by Ialyrn
  • Agree 4

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Ialyrn said:

Game is just unplayable on steam with the Oculus Rift CV1, the framerate and frametimes are all over the place; with constantly stuttering and lag [...snip...]

Same here.

DR2.0 Deluxe / Steam / Rift CV1 / i5-4460 + GTX970 + 16GB RAM / Win 10 Pro 64-bit / Logitech G29+Shifter

I'm on lower-spec hardware than @Ialyrn so not expecting miracles, but I run DR1 @ High to Ultra with 45fps & ASW and it's fine.

I was playing (prior to the VR update) at High preset @ 1920x1080 and getting decent framerates. It does seem that DR2.0 in VR would be mostly smooth for me if I set things to Medium or lower, except for these regular judders I'm getting.... peroidic, about every 2 seconds.

The view judders about very briefly about once every 2 seconds like something's hit me in the head, even with the lowest settings for everything. And if I run with settings much above Medium, there's also some slight constant juddering all the time on top of those periodic judders. But I assume that's just the usual symptoms of over-stressing the hardware, with settings too high & Oculus ASW kicking in/out etc, so I'm less concerned about that. It seems it would be nice & smooth for me at Low to Medium settings if those larger judders weren't there every 2 seconds.

Some troubleshooting I've tried so far...

The larger periodic judders remain after trying all different Oculus ASW settings (CTRL+1/2/3/4).

It's only in VR, and I've tried unplugging various USB devices, so doesn't seem to be USB-related as I've seen someone hint at elsewhere.

The rhythmic juddering... seems almost like there's a background thread interfering regularly, but I can't narrow it down to eg. disk activity or CPU/GPU spikes.

There's also a slight delay in the way everything moves when you turn your head (especially noticeable with HUD elements / messages, which don't quite move in sync with the 3D world... ultimately, I'll probably turn most of the HUD off, but though it could be worth mentioning in case it's related).

I also don't know if this is related, but I'm seeing a distorted desktop mirror view (too wide? I did run triples at one point before VR released so perhaps it's a remnant of that?). And the HUD overlays are very tiny / far away and squashed-too-narrow.

Edited by YorkyPudsy

21 hours ago, RagingBeard said:

Steam

Vive Pro

i7 8700k, 1080ti, 16gb,

Deluxe

Game starts in VR to just a black empty display, I can hear the game music but nothing visible at all. All other VR games still working as normal.

Try opting out of the steam vr beta. An update to beta broke this yesterday evening.

2 minutes ago, YorkyPudsy said:

...regular judders I'm getting.... peroidic, about every 2 seconds.

The view judders about very briefly about once every 2 seconds like something's hit me in the head, even with the lowest settings for everything. And if I run with settings much above Medium, there's also some slight constant juddering all the time on top of those periodic judders. But I assume that's just the usual symptoms of over-stressing the hardware, with settings too high & Oculus ASW kicking in/out etc, so I'm less concerned about that. It seems it would be nice & smooth for me at Low to Medium settings if those larger judders weren't there every 2 seconds.

The rhythmic juddering... seems almost like there's a background thread interfering regularly, but I can't narrow it down to eg. disk activity or CPU/GPU spikes.

There's also a slight delay in the way everything moves when you turn your head (especially noticeable with HUD elements / messages, which don't quite move in sync with the 3D world).

I've been testing a ton of combinations for about 5 hours with a Valve index, i9-9600k, rtx2080ti. All drivers updated for the wheel (TMX), headset, controllers, base stations and GPU/OS. I usually play with settings as ultra at 4k. 

Something is seriously broken in the OpenVR release.

Using the SteamVR beta doesn't work at all - black screen.

With the stable SteamVR release, After the second DR2 ~1.2Gb update, the game launches correctly as a seated game.  I've tried 90Hz, 120, 144. 100% resolution (150% resolution as suggested by steamvr). There's still a ton of problems. 

The juddering has something to do with steamVR's chaperone system. My driving rig is just outside the chaperone boundaries and every couple of seconds I can see steamVR trying to get the chaperone view to come through. Reseting the room and removing room-scale from SteamVR's setup fixed it a bit. 

Using OpenVR-AdvancedSettings to disable the chaperone system opens a whole new can of worms and bugs. 

Even with low settings there are performance issues. The few times I've managed to get a decent framerate, camera position, and settings, and tried to ignore the rest of the problems and get into the game it looks like it will be the most insane experience but it's super buggy at the moment.

In my opinion, it doesn't look like all bugs are on codemaster's side. I believe that some bugs in SteamVR mix with DR2 in a pretty nasty way and it will probably take a while to fix

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, deadsunrise said:

I've been testing a ton of combinations for about 5 hours with a Valve index, i9-9600k, rtx2080ti. All drivers updated for the wheel (TMX), headset, controllers, base stations and GPU/OS. I usually play with settings as ultra at 4k. 

Something is seriously broken in the OpenVR release.

[...snip...]

The juddering has something to do with steamVR's chaperone system. My driving rig is just outside the chaperone boundaries and every couple of seconds I can see steamVR trying to get the chaperone view to come through. Reseting the room and removing room-scale from SteamVR's setup fixed it a bit. 

Using OpenVR-AdvancedSettings to disable the chaperone system opens a whole new can of worms and bugs.

Thanks for commenting @deadsunrise .  Funnily enough, I also happen to have my driving setup just near the boundary (one corner) of my defined play area... my head is just inside enough that it can be tracked properly by my 2 Oculus sensors/cameras. So maybe that is a possible cause of it, although I do have the boundary/Guardian disabled for driving. Kind of hard for me to move things around to test though!

It's actually reassuring in a way that this juddering is not an Oculus-specific issue with the Steam version. I've seen a few people on the Steam forums mention having similar stuttering with the Index too.

Like you say, it's probably something related to either SteamVR or CM's integration with it. Perhaps CM mostly tested the SteamVR edition on Vive & assumed all other headsets would work ok?

Sounds like the Oculus store version is fine for Oculus hardware, but I'm not willing to buy multiple copies of the game.

I'm hopeful this stuttering will be fixed for the Steam version, for both Oculus & Index users.

• What platform you're playing on (Steam or Oculus). STEAM
  • What headset you're using. VALVE INDEX
  • What your PC setup/build is like (graphics card, processor etc.). 8700k @ 4.8, 32gb, rtx 2080Ti FE, M.2 SSD
  • Whether you're a Standard or Deluxe user (Steam only). STEAM
  • Whether or not you have any non-standard peripherals connected, like steering wheels, gaming mice etc. Fanatec DD2, HPP PRX SE Pedals, 2 button boxes, fans,  Fanatec SQ Shifter and Fanatec Handbrake 

I'm finding many issues...

SteamVR SS at 100%, Presets mainly at low or medium, getting 80-90fps, but it still stutters and looks bad. I have to use CMAA or MSAA x2 at best to have it work semi-decently.

There's no mouse cursor, which is an issue in itself

Can't change back to the monitor unless changing the hardware settings ini file or unplugging the headset

Dirt Rally 2.0 will NOT open if SteamVR is opened before the game. If you start DR 2.0 first it works because it turns on SteamVR afterwards. (ACC had the same issue and they resolved this by allowing a startup menu where you choose monitor 32/64bit display, or VR HMD 32/64bit)

In the VR options menu there's an option which locks your view to the horizon (forgot what it was called). If you set it to ON, it absolutely makes me nauseous and I can't explain why and I race in VR in every sim out there - DAILY.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

My current experience...

Non VR - boots up, things seem to work including steering wheel.

With VR - (when I get it to load properly, which involves making sure steam VR isn't running too) - my g29 steering wheel isn't recognised at all, nothing with VR controllers, managed to get keyboard to respond on a couple of occasions loading it - haven't managed to play anything yet. Bought game purely for VR side! 😞

- Oculus rift playing on Steam

- i7 6700 + 16gig ram, win10 pro, Radeon R9 290

- Standard steam user

- Logitech G29 (works in other software + appears in Logitech gaming software. Picked up by Dirt Rally 2 when VR was completely unplugged/disabled.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Babbage said:

- Logitech G29 (works in other software + appears in Logitech gaming software. Picked up by Dirt Rally 2 when VR was completely unplugged/disabled.

I have a G29 and so far no problems since the game came out.

I have VR problem with Oculus Rift. When I use High or Ultra settings then picture stutters when I move my head. When I use Medium settings then VR is playable and its really fun.

I use: Steam Deluxe, i5, 1080Ti, 16GB RAM etc.

Edited by ChLoNiCaL

11 hours ago, BigSlug said:

That was me, well one of them anyway. I'm OP.

I am comparing all config files etc as well, tried just copying them over, no change, so its not am XML issue.

I am about to replace everything from the steam folder and see if it launches. I have a feeling the .exe is compiled different, which might be the problem. (which we can't fix)

They have 2 different sizes so there is something different. 

Under the 'Game' folder the game.nefs is 2KB different as well. so something else has been changed in there.

Other than some differences in the the cars and locations folders (oculus having more in each for some reason) there is no differences except those files.

I will do some more testing and report back.

I am other person with the same issue of no sound on oculus version, but the graphical performance on the oculus version is solid, mostly ultra settings with 90fps average, occasional drops to 45.

Then graphical performance of the steam version is a stuttering mess at 45fps or less with AWS and Steam VR reprojection looking like they are clashing with each other, but the sound works and I get to play the full release of content.

• What platform you're playing on (Steam or Oculus). Have both
  • What headset you're using. Rift CV1
  • What your PC setup/build is like (graphics card, processor etc.). I7 9700k, 32Gb 3200Mhz c16 ram, RTX2080ti fe, sound blaster z, Elgato HD60 pro
  • Whether you're a Standard or Deluxe user (Steam only). Deluxe
  • Whether or not you have any non-standard peripherals connected, like steering wheels, gaming mice etc.
    G29

Leo Bodnar's Logitech USB Conversion Cable (shows as G25 Pedals)
    Geggur USB handbrake (shows as Arduino Leonardo)
    Corsair K95 RGB
    Corsair Scimitar

ShuttlePro v2
    Modmic Wireless
    Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedals

• Agree 2

• What platform you're playing on Oculus
  • What headset you're using. Rift S
  • What your PC setup/build is like (graphics card, processor etc.). 1080ti 8700k processor
  • Whether you're a Standard or Deluxe user (Steam only).
  • Whether or not you have any non-standard peripherals connected, like steering wheels, gaming mice etc. g29 wheel

no in game sound at all, I had bought the steam version, but there were too many VR bugs like unreadable text and way too many frame drops. got a refund and bought oculus version and met with no sound at any point in the game.

On 8/8/2019 at 3:22 PM, RagingBeard said:

Steam

Vive Pro

i7 8700k, 1080ti, 16gb,

Deluxe

Game starts in VR to just a black empty display, I can hear the game music but nothing visible at all. All other VR games still working as normal.

Try Opting out of steam beta.  That fixed it for me.

Steam, Deluxe, win864
i7 4930, 1080, 32Gb
T500RS, TH8 shifter, USB handbrake
Rift DK2
---------------------
Hello,

with VR on, most wheel buttons do not work, the TH8 does not work, as well as the handbrake (although they are seen in-game)

if I deactivate VR in the hardwaresettingsconfig.xml, that does not change the issue

if I kill Oculus drivers, I can play DR20 correctly

Posted (edited)

setting shaders to "low" and turning off AA helps a lot on the steam version with regards to stuttering and framerates. I was able to put a lot of settings back up to "high" after changing those options. With shaders turned off though, there are no reflections on the car body, and the mirrors stop working compeltely (not an issue on rally stages, but not great for rallycross). Turning shaders off also makes the track enviroment look very flat, kinda lifeless.

Still, I will take it as a temporary workaround while the devs figure out whats going on; and hopefully add the option to use the Oculus API's or to use OpenVR on steam. It really needs both options on steam.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Just to reiterate my system specs/setup

What platform you're playing on (Steam or Oculus)

Steam

What headset you're using.

Oculus Rift CV1 with 2x Oculus sensors

What your PC setup/build is like (graphics card, processor etc.).

Intel core i7 6700k @4.2GHz
MSI Z170A Krait Gaming Motherboard
MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X 8gb GDDR5X
16gb Corsair Vengeance lpx 3000mhz ddr4
Windows 10 (fully updated)

Whether you're a Standard or Deluxe user (Steam only).

Deluxe

Whether or not you have any non-standard peripherals connected, like steering wheels, gaming mice etc.

Thrustmaster T300 RS-GT with T3PA pro pedals
2x TH8A shifters (one in H pattern, one in sequential mode for use as a handbrake)
Logitech G502 wired gaming mouse
Logitech G810 Mechanical keyboard
Logitech Unified reciever wireless mouse and keyboard (used while in racing seat)

Edited by Ialyrn

Oculus rift, steam user,  1070 videocard and a dfgt wheel.

After a couple of days..

+ the VR experience is great, worth waiting for and the game really comes alive. Great stuff codies,

- sorry this list is a bit longer 😐

Steamvr is not the way, almost every video setting must be low, medium or off

At the start, with moving crowd if still stutters

Why no mouse support, the keyboard is difficult with the VR on your head. Especially because my keyboard has also a powershutdown button close to F11

F11 to reset the VR? Why not like in dr1 to select a key on the wheel? My dfgt don't let me bound F11 to a button

I know the dfgt is not in the preferred wheel list, but why are the settings from using a flat screen completely different to VR. Costed me hours and hours to get it about right

Maybe because of the low video settings, but the co driver has no notebook in his hands?

Overall a pitty codemasters again failed to do it right first time. But with a couple of tweeks it is just good. Major things to work on in my opinion are steamvr problems causing video problems and give us back the mouse

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Edit: Looks like this was fixed in the latest 1.2GB patch, no longer an issue for me.

HUD is Squished

Here's a screenshot of what I see vs someone using an Oculus headset:

https://imgur.com/a/lFdBNud

Steam

Valve Index

i5-4690K and GTX 1080Ti, 16GB DDR3 RAM(slightly higher clockrate than normal, forgot actual number, at work now). Game's installedon a crucial mx500 SSD.

Deluxe version

T300 RS GT with T3pa PRO and Thrustmaster Shifter.

Razer Chroma mouse, Razer keyboard (not chroma, black widow stealth I think) 

Edited by xcAzx
Fixed in the 1.2gb patch
  • Agree 1

I bought the game on Thursday as I was waiting for vr now im not disappointed the game is great vr is ok but the ingame menu and replay is bordered when in vr I want to be able to record replays any chance of adding a save replay option? or so its full screen on the monitor so I can record replays?

• Agree 1

Periodic CPU spikes, seen here: https://imgur.com/a/QHY5XW0

Nighttime in New England

Steam

Valve Index

i5-4690K and GTX 1080Ti, 16GB DDR3 RAM(slightly higher clockrate than normal, forgot actual number, at work now). Game's installedon a crucial mx500 SSD.

Deluxe version

T300 RS GT with T3pa PRO and Thrustmaster Shifter.

Razer Chroma mouse, Razer keyboard (not chroma, black widow stealth I think)

• Agree 1

Menu captions are almost unreadable in VR

At this time my setup is totally unplayable because of lagging and stuttering vision. It requires a lot of tweaking to make it look better than CMR 2.0 at least 😉 and run 90 FPS.

All this tweaking is so time consuming and uncomfortable, that I dropped it for a while a little bit frustrated. One of the things which makes it hard are captions displayed in VR they are very difficult to read, they are very small and blurry.

I tried some workarounds to make it better, but rather failed:

1. it is not possible to lean forward to look closer on them, because captions are virtually always the same distance from viewer no matter the head moves - nice looking but useless.
  2. It is not possible to make settings using standard monitor because view/game always pauses while HMD is off the head.
  3. When I try to hold HMD in hand covering proximity sensor and make settings with a second hand it turns out the game is not taking mouse nor keyboard commands while input is set to steering wheel - very uncomfortable to look at monitor and manipulate with wheel buttons, because my monitor+mouse+keabord seat is in different position than my wheel+vr seat and the second hand is holding HMD.

Btw I am glass wearer - additional difficulty, both: visuals and HMD manipulation.

Great start anyway 🙂 I am looking forward for upcomming improvements.

• platform: Steam
  • headset: HTC VIVE (2017)
  • PC: GPU GTX 1080ti, CPU i7-4790k, 16GB RAM
  • Standard steam version
  • Peripherals: t500ts with H shifter; USB sound devices: Nuforce UDAC-5, Hegel H80; USB 2.0 hub; Ozone strikebattle keyboard; Steelseries sensei 310 mouse; monitor benq XL2411Z; TV
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Hello, I am sure you are aware of this problem as it existed in Dirt Rally 1.0 as well, but it's even worse in 2.0. The problem I am talking about is Auto Exposure in VR. On the internal cockpit view it causes terrible over and under exposure fluctuations which spoil the otherwise good looking game and immersion. Please can a simple toggle option be provided in the graphics menu to turn off this auto exposure adjustment because after all, it is an effect and not realistic, as well as making things either far too dark or too bright depending on the conditions. External camera views don't seem to be as negatively affected by this in the same way as the cockpit camera and in VR it is especially bad. 

Otherwise I am having a great time since the VR update and much appreciate the implementation regardless of a few bugs such as the above.

Thankyou!

• What platform you're playing on (Steam or Oculus).
  • What headset you're using (Pimax 5k+).
  • What your PC setup/build is like (1080Ti, 16gb Ram, i7 5820k 4.4ghz).
  • Whether you're a Standard or Deluxe user (Steam only).
  • Whether or not you have any non-standard peripherals connected: Logitech G25
Edited by andrewuk1990
  • Agree 5

For anyone having stutter issues with Rift S disable ambient occlusion (both settings) and screen space reflections which are main culprit I suspect.

I am running high on almost everything barr things that dont even really matter in VR (car detail low, low shadows as it still looks good/ cloth, crowd , lens dirt, mirrors, chromatic aberration, bloom, light flares, skidmarks (wont see them) all OFF.
Low reflections as you only see a bit on the bonnet.
All else on high with x8 AA & x16 AF

80fps constant and little to no flicker. Looks amazing!! ( still a bit of flicker but a ♥♥♥♥ ton better than before!!)

Steam store purchase with oculus rift s (openvr)

Gtx 1080ti 
i57600k

Now I just need sim commander 4 devs to patch game as the engine vibration is just a constant frequency and drowns out everything else. I guess ************ changed the ff xml again after Simxperience's latest patch. :!

Hope this helps scholarz! ;D

20190811_182651.jpg

20190811_182704.jpg

20190811_182616.jpg

16 hours ago, xcAzx said:

Periodic CPU spikes, seen here: https://imgur.com/a/QHY5XW0

...[snip]...

Valve Index

Ah! Thanks for capturing that. Yes, that could very well match the regular judders that a number of us are observing, even if the underlying performance is pretty smooth otherwise (eg. it even happens at the lowest settings).

I had previously estimated it at about once every 2 seconds for me on the Rift/SteamVR, but it's probably possible to work it out more accurately from that graph... Is that frame number along the bottom? So they seem to be about 160-ish frames apart? Since you mention Valve Index, depending on what frame rate you have it set to (120 / 144Hz ?), that could be about 1.1 to 1.3 seconds apart? Seems a little more frequent than I remember, or does the Index support lower refresh rates?

Regardless, it does seem to be a regular, short CPU-intensive thing that's happening. Something the game (or SteamVR) is only performing about once every 1 to 2 seconds? Possible memory leak, garbage collection, or similar? Most likely somewhere within SteamVR itself, or the game's implementation of it, since comments I've read from Oculus store users indicate that build doesn't exhibit this flaw.

On 8/8/2019 at 10:15 PM, JamesWhite said:

I had this (the black screen no menu problem), but by mashing the enter button on my wheel I managed to load a stage with the Fulvia and it was visible in VR. I managed to complete the stage, but any of the 2D menus before or after the stage were black screen. I'm on the steam VR beta too. HP Reverb/WMR/SteamVR. 

i7-7700K/GigaByte RTX 2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Beyer Dynamic DT990 Pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/HP Reverb/Logitech G29+G25 shifter/DSD P2 button box

Small SteamVR beta update overnight to 1.7.3 and everything is fixed! Game loads, menu navigates (and is actually visible) perfectly normally, goes into VR/3D and wham, framerate is fine, perfectly smooth, drives brilliantly. DR2.0 has gone from being so rubbish to being so good in such a short space of time. Anyway, who cares, it seems to be fixed and on the first run through it's every bit as good as I imagined it would be. The car feels much heavier than DR1.0, and you get a great sense of balance and grip.
Unbelievable, but a nice surprise.

The only thing I can find wrong is that the exterior landscape is a bit overexposed and washed out, but compared to 24 hours ago it's a million times better.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, JamesWhite said:

Small SteamVR beta update overnight to 1.7.3 and everything is fixed! Game loads, menu navigates (and is actually visible) perfectly normally, goes into VR/3D and wham, framerate is fine, perfectly smooth, drives brilliantly. DR2.0 has gone from being so rubbish to being so good in such a short space of time. Anyway, who cares, it seems to be fixed and on the first run through it's every bit as good as I imagined it would be. The car feels much heavier than DR1.0, and you get a great sense of balance and grip.
Unbelievable, but a nice surprise.

The only thing I can find wrong is that the exterior landscape is a bit overexposed and washed out, but compared to 24 hours ago it's a million times better.

Hi @JamesWhite - I don't want to spam this thread but I see you point out the auto exposure issue as well like my post above. You may notice this problem is much worse in certain scenarios (Sweden in fog for example is almost unplayable). Please give my post above an upvote to escalate this bug if you are interested. Here is the direct link: 

Thankyou!

Edited by andrewuk1990
  • Agree 1

On 8/10/2019 at 12:12 AM, Babbage said:

My current experience...

Non VR - boots up, things seem to work including steering wheel.

With VR - (when I get it to load properly, which involves making sure steam VR isn't running too) - my g29 steering wheel isn't recognised at all, nothing with VR controllers, managed to get keyboard to respond on a couple of occasions loading it - haven't managed to play anything yet. Bought game purely for VR side! 😞

- Oculus rift playing on Steam

- i7 6700 + 16gig ram, win10 pro, Radeon R9 290

- Standard steam user

I got the same pb in the beginning. It get solved by just checking on your desktop that dirt window is foreground and go full screen (alt enter). Hope it helps!