Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DiRT Rally 2.0: Version 1.7 VR Feedback

• What platform you're playing on (steam).
  • What headset you're using. Rift s
  • What your PC setup/build is like (2080ti r7 3700x 16gb ddr4 3600mhz).
  • Whether you're a Standard or Deluxe user (standard).
  • Whether or not you have any non-standard peripherals connected, like steering wheels, gaming mice etc. steering wheel, mouse and keyboard, elite controller.

experiencing poor performance.  

-stutter caused by ASW and possible reprojection?  

-performance dips caused by a well known steering wheel usb bug (issue resolved by disabling a USB port in HID of Device Manager) just wondering if there’s a fix that I don’t know about?   as it seems this has been an issue that has plagued gamers since the launch of the flat version. 

-black screen when launching the game (resolved by opting out of Steam VR beta) is there another fix?

regardless of graphical settings ultra or low   The same poor performance results are produced. 

I have attached a video of the performance dip caused by the FFB steering wheel .  

I hope what what I have provided not only helps the devs fix and refine the game, but also helps other users who are struggling with similar issues.  You guys have a great game on your hands....PLEASE FIX IT! 

12 hours ago, YorkyPudsy said:

Ah! Thanks for capturing that. Yes, that could very well match the regular judders that a number of us are observing, even if the underlying performance is pretty smooth otherwise (eg. it even happens at the lowest settings).

I had previously estimated it at about once every 2 seconds for me on the Rift/SteamVR, but it's probably possible to work it out more accurately from that graph... Is that frame number along the bottom? So they seem to be about 160-ish frames apart? Since you mention Valve Index, depending on what frame rate you have it set to (120 / 144Hz ?), that could be about 1.1 to 1.3 seconds apart? Seems a little more frequent than I remember, or does the Index support lower refresh rates?

Regardless, it does seem to be a regular, short CPU-intensive thing that's happening. Something the game (or SteamVR) is only performing about once every 1 to 2 seconds? Possible memory leak, garbage collection, or similar? Most likely somewhere within SteamVR itself, or the game's implementation of it, since comments I've read from Oculus store users indicate that build doesn't exhibit this flaw.

I was on 80Hz so that can explain why.

Hi. im trying to play the game through steam. i have last years Rift headset and im playing on a i7 with an nvidia 2070. when i launch the game from steam it give me this.

fatal error (112): log path could not be located (112)

the game ran fine before the update.

5 hours ago, m1northreat said:

Hi. im trying to play the game through steam. i have last years Rift headset and im playing on a i7 with an nvidia 2070. when i launch the game from steam it give me this.

fatal error (112): log path could not be located (112)

the game ran fine before the update.

I have the exact same problem as you!

On 8/9/2019 at 4:57 AM, cibenopk said:

Hi gents,

just installed VR update.. for a first few tries I was not able to run it. Now it works perfectly in VR. BUT Iam not able to run the game anymore in 2D.. what happened and how can I fix this pls?
WMR is plugged out

There are no commands in lunch options

Steam VR is off

For some reason the game now always wants to start in VR mode even if Steam VR is not running and WMD is not connected..

HELP PLEASE

Snímka.PNG

I got it to start again after editing C:\Users\<user>\Documents\My Games\DiRT Rally 2.0\hardwaresettings\hardware_settings_config.xml:

<vr enabled="false" eyeDistanceMultiplier="1.000000" lockedOrientation="false">

Getting a fps drop at regular times about once every 2-3 seconds.

What platform you're playing on (Steam or Oculus). Steam
What headset you're using. Rift CV1
What your PC setup/build is like (graphics card, processor etc.). I7 9700k, 32Gb 3200Mhz c16 ram, RTX2080ti fe, sound blaster z, Elgato HD60 pro
Whether you're a Standard or Deluxe user (Steam only). Deluxe
Whether or not you have any non-standard peripherals connected, like steering wheels, gaming mice etc.
G29
Leo Bodnar's Logitech USB Conversion Cable (shows as G25 Pedals)
Geggur USB handbrake (shows as Arduino Leonardo)
Corsair K95 RGB
Corsair Scimitar
ShuttlePro v2
Modmic Wireless
Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedals

I also have the head movement latency problem without performance issues. I tried to change about all the settings back and forth, disabling Motion Smoothing, re-plugging my old Vive. No difference.

It's very noticeable when moving the head around a lot while the car is stopped, a lot less when driving (less head movement, and car movement on top of it). No problem in the menu.

• Platform: Steam
  • Headset: Index (and Vive to check if it's different)
  • PC: i5 4590, 8GB RAM, GTX 1070
  • Deluxe edition
  • Nothing weird connected, also tried with only keyboard/mouse/HMD anyway

5 days and still no patch for no sound on oculus.. what the hell is going on.. effects about half the user base..

24 minutes ago, Flens07 said:

A fundamental question to @PJTierney:

Is any work for a hotfix of the significant bad VR-performance in progress?

Agreed. I'm running ultra low settings on a 2080ti and still getting a sickness inducing lag when looking around the car using the index hmd (especially when stationary). No amount of tweaking sorts it out. I can get 90fps+ without issue from low to high settings, however, the lag is still there regardless of my framerate.    

Newest Version 1.7 has also the stutter bug reading the HID devices.

Version 1.7 / Steam / Win 10 (1903) / Fanatec Podium / I9 9900, RTX 2080TI / Valve Index

As you can see on the left side the frametimes are at 70ms level, which causes a lot of stutter, you can also see the stuttering fps drop

At the moment where I plug out my DS4 controller (which I only plug in to plug out in DR 2) the frametimes comes down to around 13 ms without any stutter.

DR2_framedrops_8_v1.7_VR.jpg.34043f0a82b7eb12f8719c7994b69882.jpg 

You could use more or less any HID device to plug in and plug out to remove the stutter e.g. the same happens with my TH8 shifter.

4 hours ago, Flens07 said:

A fundamental question to @PJTierney:

Is any work for a hotfix of the significant bad VR-performance in progress?

I unplugged my wheel, pedals and handbreak (Fanatec) and suddenly it work MUTCH better

Please also provide the following:

• What platform you're playing on (Steam or Oculus). steam
  • What headset you're using. Rift s
  • What your PC setup/build is like (graphics card, processor etc.). gtx 1080
  • Whether you're a Standard or Deluxe user (Steam only). standar
  • Whether or not you have any non-standard peripherals connected, like steering wheels, gaming mice etc. (fantec wheel,pedals, and handbreak connected via usb hub)

Platform : Steam VR
Headset : Oculus Rift, 4 sensors
Setup : I7 7700K RTX 2080 16Go DDR4
Peripherals : many many ( G27 wheel, Thrustmaster Th8A and TSS handbrake, 2xUSB Hub, 4 sensors, bluetooth dongle, mouse, keyboard, wireless keyboard, Xbox controller...)

Game unplayable when I connect a G27 in VR mod. 
Stuttered every 5 seconds. Also in very low graphical setting.

No issue with a Xbox controller. 
Does not happened in Dirt Rally 1, AC, ACC, PCars2.

After investigate a lot I found that it is related to my usb peripherals.

My USB C to VGA connector connected to my nvidia RTX 2080 for my principal monitor make these stutters happened when I connect my G27 in VR mod..... While my screen is disabled in the nvidia setting panel... But a physical disconnection fixed the issue.

Can you fix this ? I do not want to disconnect my screen every time I want to play.

Beside that, thanks A LOT for your work, this game is really EXCELENT.

Sorry for my english I am french.

Regards,

Steam version keeps forcing the Oculus rift to activate ASW, even when hitting a constant 90fps in game. This is adding to the stuttering situation. To get around it, I have to use Oculus Tray Tool to turn ASW off.

( NOTE: I originally mistakenly posted my feedback below on the "non-VR stuttering" thread in response to the recent suggestions to unplug USB devices & disable HID devices, so mods are welcome to remove/edit my post on that non-VR thread if desired, although some of the content may still be relevant there if it turns out the cause of the periodic stuttering is not VR-specific. I experienced no stuttering at all when using my standard display before the VR update. My comments below are specific to my experience of the SteamVR version of the game. Despite the game basically running quite smoothly with Low-to-Medium settings & ASW, there are very brief periodic stutters/shudders that myself & certain other players are getting once every 2 seconds, including some with much more powerful hardware than my low-end VR setup. Unfortunately, the suggestions regarding USB devices didn't work in my case. I think I've run out of things to troubleshoot for now [see below!], so I await further updates or suggestions. Thanks! )

1 hour ago, PJTierney said:

Updated with the following:

Additional tips:

• Remove all non-essential USB devices (including wheels and VR equipment) before launching.
    Once the game is launched plug in the devices you wish to use.

• Alternatively you can disable all non-essential USB HID devices through the following steps:
    Device Manager > Human interface devices
    Right-click on the relevant USB devices and select [Disable].

Thanks for adding those tips, but unfortunately neither help solve the periodic CPU spikes & judder for me with the Rift on SteamVR. I even tried unplugging everything including keyboard, just leaving mouse to launch the game. I was hoping this might work around the problem for now, as several people mentioned a possible cause being USB devices being regularly polled or similar by the game.

The CPU spikes consistently happen every 2 seconds (pretty much exactly every 2 secs), as reported on the other VR bug thread, matching charts someone else posted of the same CPU spikes. I can see the CPU usage spikes/pulses on SteamVR's "advanced frame timing" graph, each pulse lasting for a fraction of a second (perhaps less than 0.2s, I didn't take too much notice of the duration, but the frequency is almost exactly 0.5Hz, so there's clearly something happening repeatedly at that frequency causing brief but heavy CPU usage.)

The CPU spikes happen even with all the game's settings on the absolute lowest... and on those settings I'm clearly getting very fluid motion, and the hardware is easily capable of rendering at higher settings... except every 2 seconds my view "shudders" slightly for a few frames during the CPU spikes.

I've tried various tweaks suggested by the community & guides here but haven't found anything which works yet. I've tried all these plus some others I probably forgot...!

• close all unnecessary programs
  • temporarily switched to SteamVR Beta v1.7.4
  • force the game to use windowed mode for the VR mirror display instead of fullscreen by editing the hardware config xml
  • disabled (lowered to zero) in-game "head shaking", just in case it was a bug with that
  • disabled Steam overlay
  • lowered the game's settings to minimum, including AA (worth mentioning since it's in a separate section of the game's options)
  • unplugged all USB devices including my wheel (except for just mouse or keyboard to launch/navigate the game! I tried once with each left plugged in!)
  • disabled USB HID devices in device manager
  • updated to latest Nvidia driver & also tried latest hotfix driver
  • Nvidia max render-ahead frames for VR = 1
  • all different options for Oculus ASW (CTRL+1/2/3/4)... interestingly disabling it (CTRL+1) seemed to make the game exhibit a constant jitter/delay with the game's tracking of the HMD, even when the framerate was very good, which doesn't seem normal at all... perhaps that's hinting at some kind of "fighting"/conflict between SteamVR & the game, in determining the position of the head/view? Or some kind of out-of-sync / delay on the game determining the head position? I mention that because I've noticed the floating HUD elements seem to track with that same kind of delayed response (regardless of ASW setting), like they're slightly behind the HMD movement (maybe just a couple of frames, only just perceptible), so they move slightly independently of eg. the windscreen etc. as you look around, and then they catch up when you stop moving your head. I just wondered if it could be related?
  • reduced 'Application Resolution' in SteamVR, but it didn't seem to make a visible difference even at the lowest 20% (which I would have expected to be extremely blocky/blurry, but the resolution in the HMD looked the same, so either this setting doesn't work with Rifts, or the game is overriding something?)

I run a number of other VR games on the same hardware, all the usual suspects of driving games which I won't bother to name, including the original DR... all without any problems. I usually settle for 45fps with ASW enabled, because my hardware isn't up to consistent 90fps, but that is perfectly acceptable to me, so I'm not expecting wonders here. DR2.0 does also seem like it would be plenty smooth enough, if it weren't for these regular brief judders every 2 seconds.

Reading around the various forums (Reddit, Steam, here) I've seen a number of people having the same issue, not just with Oculus hardware but also with Valve Index & with WMR headsets.

It would be interesting to find out if this issue is specific to the SteamVR build, but until/unless the native Oculus SDK build is made available as an option on Steam, we can only rely on feedback from people who have purchased on both stores (whether they own Oculus headsets, or use Revive with different headsets).

ONE QUESTION: Have CM managed to observe or reproduce this regular/periodic (every 2 seconds) judder / CPU spikes ? Or at least taken note of the reports that it exists so they can investigate ?

Thanks!

Steam / DR2.0 Deluxe / Oculus Rift CV1 + 2 sensors / i5-4460 + GTX970 + 16GB RAM / Logitech G29 + Shifter + Pedals

What platform you're playing on (Steam or Oculus).

Steam

What headset you're using.

Oculus Rift, CV1

What your PC setup/build is like (graphics card, processor etc.).

Intel 6600 (non-K)
Vega 56
16 GB RAM
Win 10

Newest drivers and versions of everything, but doesn't matter

Whether you're a Standard or Deluxe user (Steam only).

Deluxe

Whether or not you have any non-standard peripherals connected, like steering wheels, gaming mice etc.

G29 + Oculus Rift + Xbox controller

----

Seems to have been reported a few times, but maybe will help further.

Periodic stutter when Oculus Rift is connected: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77UbQQOm6XM

That's not new in 1.7.0, this happens since the very first version if Dirt 2.0, both in VR and not. The only cure is to disable pretty much all HID/USB Input Devices, though the one which does the job is the one Oculus Rift is recognized by.

Funnily enough running dirt in VR with 45fps/ASW enabled makes things better than running in desktop mode, since it masks the stutter. But I digress.

For those with the no sound bug on oculus version.. i found a work around. I dont know why it works but it does...

just make a dirt rally 2 launcher from steam, and launch the game through steam. the game will launch with oculus mode and will have sound. 

sounds dumb, sounds like it shouldnt work, but it works.

On 8/10/2019 at 12:12 AM, Babbage said:

With VR - (when I get it to load properly, which involves making sure steam VR isn't running too)

Try to run DR2.exe instead of using Steam launcher. On my end, it starts properly with SteamVR already running.

In addition, running DR2 in full screen mode (with or without VR) cause changes to DPI settings. In particular, SteamVR run by Oculus is trashed a big (font sizes changed etc) and hidden icons pane on System Tray is affected too. It seems that DR2 it not "transparent" for HighDPI monitors/system settings

3 hours ago, Duanedibly said:

For those with the no sound bug on oculus version.. i found a work around. I dont know why it works but it does...

just make a dirt rally 2 launcher from steam, and launch the game through steam. the game will launch with oculus mode and will have sound. 

sounds dumb, sounds like it shouldnt work, but it works.

how is this done, and can i do it even if i have the steam version of the game?

Update. Work fine and now i have sound 🙂  Thanks

No word yet from codemasters?
Every other steam game allows you to choose between Oculus or Steam VR including the previous version of dirt rally.
Dirt Rally 2 is unplayable on my system, played around with settings nothing seems to help. FPS is good but jitters when moving my head.

Running an i7-3770k, 16gb, rtx 2070.

Oculus option should be added when loading and non vr option as well.

Running deluxe DR 2.0 on steam, windows 10 1903, Oculus Rift S.

I'm getting heavy stuttering in game in the HMD, as if the tracking is completely out of whack. Framerates seem to be OK, been running really low settings to eliminate that.

Stutters are especially noticeable when looking around to the sides, when I do really small movements (I.E. looking straight forward on a long straight) the tracking seems solid, but any larger movements (going from straight forward to looking through the side window for example) causes the view in the HMD to stutter like hell, making playing it vomit inducing.

If I look at the monitor render of the game it doesn't look like it stutters at all, so it appears to be something that happens with the projection onto the HMD display rather than a tracking error in the headset.

All other VR games work flawlessly, so not issues with the HMD or the computer.

• What platform you're playing on (Steam or Oculus): Steam
  • What headset you're using:  Oculus Rift S
  • What your PC setup/build is like : i5-7600K, geforce 1080, 16GB RAM
  • Whether you're a Standard or Deluxe user (Steam only): Deluxe
  • Whether or not you have any non-standard peripherals connected, like steering wheels, gaming mice etc. : T300RS

4 hours ago, G3lin said:

Dirt Rally 2 is unplayable on my system, played around with settings nothing seems to help. FPS is good but jitters when moving my head.

I guess you should upvote ||Sarge|| post about this issue. Looks to be the same problem (I also reported it).

• platform Oculus
  • headset Rift S
  • PC setup  1080ti, 32gb, 6-Core i7 5820K @4.3Ghz
  • non-standard peripherals TM T300RS, Fanatec CSL Elite Pedals with load-cell, Fanatec Handbrake, Fanatec H-Shifter, HyperX 7.1 Audio (USB)

I have the following issues concerning VR:

1. Poor dark colors. The dark sky and the dark areas on the landscape and streets have something about 8 colors? It looks very strange and irritates while driving. A lot of bending. Awful. Any time, I get a dark stage, I think "Oh no, this is gonna be an ugly drive".
  2. No Hotkey for HMD-Reset. Really? Codemasters: It is really important to match the position of the car steering wheel with the real one. Right now, u have to match a blurred scenery, in the pause menue. This is... awful.
  3. No undistorted fullscreen single eye mirror output on screen while driving. Codemasters, how can I record my fun in DR2.0?
  4. No undistorted fullscreen single eye mirror output on screen while in the menues. My eyes are already stressed, when finally sitting in the cockpit. Pls mirror the menue on the screen.
  5. -> Not possible to operate the menues without wearing the HMD... Why? Pls make it working like in all many other racing VR-titles. Menues on screen, driving in VR.
  6. Sometimes the sound nearly disappears completely. Restart of DR2.0 solves this. Using additional headphones
  7. The autoexposure makes the scenery too bright in dark cockpit cars with small windows. Maybe only on the Rift S? Please give us hotkeys for adjusting the exposure... It is gonna so bright, I cant see the structure on the streets/ways anymore. When moving the head, it is very sensitve and changes all the time from darker to too bright.
  8. Not possible to play DR2.0 in 2D. VR only... That's bad. Steam-Users can drive in both modes, I think.
  9. No Ingame-Shop to buy the DLCs, which are already available on Steam.
  10. Replay not in "real" VR.

Kind Regards
Vannipo