It's time for telemetry

With the recent games trying to take more to the simracing side of games, I feel it should be a necessity beyond this game to have telemetry during and between sessions, at least in career mode. I know time trial has some kind of telemetry, however that's not what I'm talking about. The image below shows what I mean:image.png.1822761a088c666e47c2b1a7b8716099.png

I think that in career mode, you should be able to see the telemetry between yourself and your team mate. This is available in real life and should also be available in the game. In the current games, the only way to know where you're lacking compared to the AI (which of course switches from track to track due to the terrible AI pace consistency, but that's another issue) is by comparing sector times. This doesn't tell you enough, though, as there may be some corners in a sector where you are quick, but others where you lose time. If we were able to get telemetry on the screens on top of the cockpit, during sessions, similar to the way the real F1 drivers do (again, see picture), that would take away the guesswork for players while also improving realism and immersion for the sim title this game series strives to attain.

image.png.07370ab80f2875b5f4fcb953a386b95f.png 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, sdenbroeder said:

With the recent games trying to take more to the simracing side of games, I feel it should be a necessity beyond this game to have telemetry during and between sessions, at least in career mode. I know time trial has some kind of telemetry, however that's not what I'm talking about. The image below shows what I mean:image.png.1822761a088c666e47c2b1a7b8716099.png

I think that in career mode, you should be able to see the telemetry between yourself and your team mate. This is available in real life and should also be available in the game. In the current games, the only way to know where you're lacking compared to the AI (which of course switches from track to track due to the terrible AI pace consistency, but that's another issue) is by comparing sector times. This doesn't tell you enough, though, as there may be some corners in a sector where you are quick, but others where you lose time. If we were able to get telemetry on the screens on top of the cockpit, during sessions, similar to the way the real F1 drivers do (again, see picture), that would take away the guesswork for players while also improving realism and immersion for the sim title this game series strives to attain.

This!! I’ve said a lot in recent posts that it feels games are going backwards. I think F1’97 on the PS1 had telemetry. More inter team help would be cool too. Being able to see what set up they use (if they are not using just defaul) as well would help for sure.  As would having a set up engineer to help you. Eg you come in and can say from pre defined options that either ’ ‘struggle to get the power down on corner exit’ ‘unbalanced under cornering’ or things like this and they can recommend set up changes. Think MotoGP has this, or protect cars. I think I have a little more than a base understanding but nowhere near enough to properly fine tune set ups.

Edited by johnboy83
  • Agree 6

We've had the car data available to us since F1 2010, so there are telemetry software out there. I don't think Codies should start competing against them for the small group of the playerbase who want telemetry. See this forum post for more information about the car data 🙂 

• Disagree 2

4 hours ago, UP100 said:

We've had the car data available to us since F1 2010, so there are telemetry software out there. I don't think Codies should start competing against them for the small group of the playerbase who want telemetry. See this forum post for more information about the car data 🙂 

It's great to see the telemetry is already available. Pardon my ignorance, against whom would Codies be competing exactly by adding this telemetry into the player's career mode?

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, sdenbroeder said:

It's great to see the telemetry is already available. Pardon my ignorance, against whom would Codies be competing exactly by adding this telemetry into the player's career mode?

Against the community members that have been developing different kinds of telemetry software for ages and most likely can do it better as the community isn't developing the base game 🙂 

Software like this for example: http://www.ikorein.com/telemetry/

Or this one!

Edited by UP100
Removed RD link, added another telemetry app aswell
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, UP100 said:

Against the community members that have been developing different kinds of telemetry software for ages and most likely can do it better as the community isn't developing the base game 🙂 

I commend those that have taken the initiative and made telemetry available with their own software, and it's also good to know there are options out there to gain access to this data, even if it's only available on PC. However, I feel that shouldn't hold Codemasters back in trying to implement telemetry into their game in their own way, it's not like Codies owe these community developers anything, right?

• Agree 1

I'd rather codemasters get the current basic features right before concentrating on stuff like that tbh.

• Agree 2

20 minutes ago, 1henryw said:

I'd rather codemasters get the current basic features right before concentrating on stuff like that tbh.

I would argue that in a Formula One racing game, telemetry should be a basic feature.

• Agree 5

I use the ikorein telemetry app and it is very good. I have also looked a the racingsimtools app as well - and I have a Mac not a PC so hard to judge - but it also looks very good. Having said that not having it within the game is challenging as you need a separate machine if you are on a console. 

But more importantly is that the lack of telemetry within F1 2019 (and previous versions) reflects the weakness in the game's car setup functions. A more realistic car setup process would likely lead to a more precise car handling model. F1 2019 was an improvement as in previous years setups could be used to generate faster times were ones that were completely unrealistic. Some of that still exists - but it is better.   

However, the car setup process and telemetry were things that existed in much better detail in games developed 20 years ago.  Car setup and telemetry is central to F1 - which is why there are three practice sessions for each race - as drivers fine-tune their cars. Not having this effectively implemented misses the core experience of F1, and being a competitive driver. 

For those looking for a description of sim racing setup process I think you might enjoy the following link...

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

38 minutes ago, sdenbroeder said:

I commend those that have taken the initiative and made telemetry available with their own software, and it's also good to know there are options out there to gain access to this data, even if it's only available on PC. However, I feel that shouldn't hold Codemasters back in trying to implement telemetry into their game in their own way, it's not like Codies owe these community developers anything, right?

The UDP data is available on all platforms and through any device that has any kind of program installed which can use this data, so there isn't really a reason why Codemasters should do their own (most likely inferior as they have to incorporate it into the game instead of just having another software which reads the data) version of this 🙂 

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, UP100 said:

The UDP data is available on all platforms and through any device that has any kind of program installed which can use this data, so there isn't really a reason why Codemasters should do their own (most likely inferior as they have to incorporate it into the game instead of just having another software which reads the data) version of this 🙂 

Thanks very much for alerting me about this, it's really fun to experiment with the links you provided! I still believe it's better for Codies to implement this themselves, but for the time being I can definitely amuse myself in this way.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2019 at 4:54 PM, sdenbroeder said:

whats the point of having telemetry when the car setup options are so bare bones and numb in this game that you cant use it to fix what telemetry says is going on with the car? For example If I recall even the camber and caster settings is the game only has 1 degree of change available in the slider. That isnt enough to change whatever telemetry might show the car needs.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

39 minutes ago, kevinkirk said:

whats the point of having telemetry when the car setup options are so bare bones and numb in this game that you cant use it to fix what telemetry says is going on with the car? For example If I recall even the camber and caster settings is the game only has 1 degree of change available in the slider. That isnt enough to change whatever telemetry might show the car needs.  

Yep and to add to that its either front or back in pairs, no single change can be made to a single wheel or single tyre pressure. Its unfortunate but i feel they have no interest in the setup aspects of the title for now.. We will have another few gimmicks added next year to keep the sales going

• Agree 2

Given the topic of this thread - thought this was a very interesting video and what telemetry can do to help for setups in F1 2019...  This was done by the producers of  racingsimtools..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dwin20 said:

Given the topic of this thread - thought this was a very interesting video and what telemetry can do to help for setups in F1 2019...  This was done by the producers of  racingsimtools..

I have purchased it and its well worth the money. The theory alone in the manual is very very interesting.. These guys have put so much work into it. 

• Agree 1

The Racing Sim Tool is one of the more detail telemetry software for home use. But it's only for PC at the moment.  

@Striker_703 I know I have a Mac - but ikoerein telemetry is app is very good as well (runs on Java) - I do think the videos racingsimtools have posted are very good - even if you don't have their software. 

Posted (edited)

I've been looking to get some telemetry software for the PS4 as to finding out that I can send information to any device that has Wi-Fi or Bluetooth. I want to also see if I can do the same through IP over the internet. If it's possible, it would change the way eSports teams work. Think about this @dwin20. You're on full blown team that has people that help the drivers set-up the cars. Now put the software into the equation. Those people that are helping to set up the cars are now team engineers. They can use the software anywhere anytime, in real time. Using the data to see where the car is working best and where to improve. The drivers will only have to focus on giving feed back to the team engineers on what the car is doing. Allowing for faster turn around time in testing. I got this idea while I was running in a league for Project Cars 2. The league ran for classes. Ferrari F355 Series, GT3, GTE 'GTLM' and LMP2. I just started enjoying PC2 during that time, just a few months in, and I knew the only way to understand the cars is by racing and learning in a league. And by chance I met a great group of guys that were fast, and I mean fast. One of the is the fastest in the world on PC2, he currently hold the world record in Super V8 on Azure Coast. 

I learned a lot running with these guys. I picked their brains on everything. And learned that I can send data to a Android deceive. I started digging, researching I could find. And what I found blew my mind. I thought to myself, "If I had this data before I wouldn't have struggled so much!" DATA is key. I'm still doing my research and I planning to build a PC just for telemetry data. I almost lol. I used the MoTec data logger for Gran Turismo 6. Or was it GT5? That was a great tool.         

Edited by Striker_703
Forgot about MoTec Data Logger
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Striker_703 said:

I've been looking to get some telemetry software for the PS4 as to finding out that I can send information to any device that has Wi-Fi or Bluetooth. I want to also see if I can do the same through IP over the internet. If it's possible, it would change the way eSports teams work. Think about this @dwin20. You're on full blown team that has people that help the drivers set-up the cars. Now put the software into the equation. Those people that are helping to set up the cars are now team engineers. They can use the software anywhere anytime, in real time. Using the data to see where the car is working best and where to improve. The drivers will only have to focus on giving feed back to the team engineers on what the car is doing. Allowing for faster turn around time in testing. I got this idea while I was running in a league for Project Cars 2. The league ran for classes. Ferrari F355 Series, GT3, GTE 'GTLM' and LMP2. I just started enjoying PC2 during that time, just a few months in, and I knew the only way to understand the cars is by racing and learning in a league. And by chance I met a great group of guys that were fast, and I mean fast. One of the is the fastest in the world on PC2, he currently hold the world record in Super V8 on Azure Coast. 

I learned a lot running with these guys. I picked their brains on everything. And learned that I can send data to a Android deceive. I started digging, researching I could find. And what I found blew my mind. I thought to myself, "If I had this data before I wouldn't have struggled so much!" DATA is key. I'm still doing my research and I planning to build a PC just for telemetry data. I almost lol. I used the MoTec data logger for Gran Turismo 6. Or was it GT5? That was a great tool.         

Consoles would have to use UDP. If this game is like last years the UDP isnt sending out all that much information thur it  like PCars does. The games UDP is only sending basic things like what you see on your dash and info thats basically meant for being able to use shaker rigs when playing the game. Like I said, last years game was like that and I dont know if they added more information being sent for this one.   Maybe someone from codemasters could tell us what information is and isnt being sent thur console UDP.

9 hours ago, Striker_703 said:

The Racing Sim Tool is one of the more detail telemetry software for home use. But it's only for PC at the moment.  

It does work for Xbox too, the same as with pCars 2 but you do need to have access to a PC to run the software of course.

The Sim Tool only works for PC at the moment @Hammerpgh62. You'll have to download the android app's. Or you can use a android emulator for your PC or MAC 

Posted (edited)

Question for the PC users - what/when was the last non-Codemasters PC F1 racing (not managing) game published that didn't have telemetry in it?

Edited by dwin20

7 hours ago, Striker_703 said:

The Sim Tool only works for PC at the moment @Hammerpgh62. You'll have to download the android app's. Or you can use a android emulator for your PC or MAC 

Thanks, I'm aware of that but wasn't sure whether the op thought it would only work on the pc version of the game itself.

I know that there are some MAC base tools out there as well. I'll take a look through a list I have later and I'll send you a private message @Hammerpgh62.