It's time for telemetry

Posted (edited)

What do I mean by 'Race Engineer' @dwin20. Say you own eSports race team and you have a pool of drivers of all skill levels. Some of those drivers are good at set-ups and some not. But you have one driver or a few that are great a set-ups and every someone tries those set-ups are fast right out of the box. And if any of those drivers are using tools such as this to help them set-up a car, you have the beginning of a Race Engineer. This could be great for eSports consul and PC teams as it tracks driver performance. I'm not sure if teams are using the Performance Log to track how their drivers are doing over a period of a few seasons. Back to the RE. Tools like this will also help drivers to focus just on the race, instead of wondering where the other drivers are, who they're racing and so on. The photo's that follow are pages that someone can monitor during a race, hence your Race Engineer. On long races this can be a game changer as to creative strategy.

552x414bb.png.6dc853bdd04a37201c099a67c19dd194.png750x750bb.jpeg.8fffad74cff634b653051b9c781926ac.jpegmap_small.jpg.aed4c6a2de3988229b0dacdb46e841d6.jpg   

These are good tools to help you set-up the car and help you see where to improve in driving.maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.a8cce243b9de66b98af82be8e261e9f6.jpgnet.pocketplayground.rsdash_2.png.31cdc6e5adf8d67eaa62a42b5d7adab0.pngnet.pocketplayground.rsdash_7.png.7822e96ab5a832b59a4ddb698cb9c855.png  

Edited by Striker_703
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, inspiretheworld said:

It's Sim dashbboard. It's only live data. What sort of stuff can you get through the one you use ? 

LOL. Funny that asked I was thinking of doing a stream on the app. What do you guys think?

I'm so, SO upset with myself. I just got done working on a set-up for Melbourne that I carried over from 2018. Mel is not one of my most like tracks in turn it was hard to get a feel of what the car was doing. I used rs Dash whilst working on the set and the results.:classic_mellow::classic_ohmy: Shocked to say the least, I improved my time on this track a great deal. I'm normally half-second off pace when I had the AI set to 80% and the same was for 90% when I moved it up due to some testing of the AI. Here's a screen shot of where I'm at current with the AI after practice. I'm sure I can get another second out of the set-up. @Hammerpgh62 is the app done in JAVA or C#?

F1® 2019_20190816130902.jpg

2 hours ago, Striker_703 said:

I'm so, SO upset with myself. I just got done working on a set-up for Melbourne that I carried over from 2018. Mel is not one of my most like tracks in turn it was hard to get a feel of what the car was doing. I used rs Dash whilst working on the set and the results.:classic_mellow::classic_ohmy: Shocked to say the least, I improved my time on this track a great deal. I'm normally half-second off pace when I had the AI set to 80% and the same was for 90% when I moved it up due to some testing of the AI. Here's a screen shot of where I'm at current with the AI after practice. I'm sure I can get another second out of the set-up. @Hammerpgh62 is the app done in JAVA or C#?

F1® 2019_20190816130902.jpg

Curious - what was the one change that got you the biggest amount of time and where on the track - or was it more incremental than that? (Using this app)

Posted (edited)

Changing of the tire pressure, camber, diff, suspension. I didn't make any changes to the areo. I used these two pages the most during testing. They gave me the most information.

643x1w.jpg.c1b03c6f59cfeef0f870a379a4ddc8c4.jpgnet.pocketplayground.rsdash_2.png.bd8e6e2f9a2dc97c262ea9799c69a759.png 

These two windows allowed me to how the tire reacted to the change in camber and tire pressure.

643x0w.jpg.d7cda1b7c05737d10d397d5f9f5cfc83.jpg

This window allowed me to see how the car reacted to the change of the suspension. The main thing I was focused on was the G-Meter 'The Circle Graph' and the steering, brake and throttle graph. The SBT graph showed me where I got more comfortable with set-up and why and the GM graph showed me how much the car is moving. I'm still trying to see if any of the data is stored anywhere. It would be nice to overlay your progress. I'm thinking about doing a stream to show this app can be used to set-up the car, along with understanding the car better. Key word 'Thinking' 

Edited by Striker_703
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

@Striker_703 I'm not entirely convinced how beneficial this is on F1 2019 given the set ups aren't exactly realistic.

These types of things are better suited to iracing where the physics and tyre model are a bit more reliable.

There are so few set up parameters in this game you can easilly do it by feel.

In your instance where your racing at AI level 80, at that level the improvements come from learning to improve your driving rather than set up.

Otherwise you convince the issue is set up related when its not.

Edited by SIMRACER123

With the little information I get from the G29 @dwin20 the rs Dash has helped me sort out a better set-up. Even though F1 doesn't have a large set-up tool, It's very similar to the set-up window in Gran Turismo. The rs Dash helps out a lot. Whilst using the MoTec data logger in GT6 in think. The windows in there gave a great deal of information to. The SBT graph helps a lot to. Yeah we can go on feel how a set-up has changed but data tell you where you gained the most at. I'm going to set it up later to work with PC2 and see what I can get along with using another set-up for PC2. I can't remember the name of it at the moment. I'll have to visit the forum or get my laptop.

Only the delta towards the best lap. I have current sectors and best sectors but the app only allows so much. Best I could do really.  Haven't tested it as it's late but will let you know haha. 

6 minutes ago, inspiretheworld said:

Only the delta towards the best lap. I have current sectors and best sectors but the app only allows so much. Best I could do really.  Haven't tested it as it's late but will let you know haha. 

What code are you using? 

After messing around with the rs Dash I'm finding out it works in every section of F1 2019, even on-line ranked and un-ranked lobbies. It shows if you're using the 2019 car or multiplayer car. I have yet to try in with the F2 or the classics. I'll be testing it with a classic live during the weekly event race. It shows the play but only in the form of 'player#' as to when that person joined the server, in Project Cars 2 it shows your name or G-tag. Just form the short time using the rs Dash, I can see where I need to improve and on which track. Only if there was a way to log all the data, not just bits and bytes. I wounder if MoTec would do something? I still have that software. 

On 8/16/2019 at 4:51 PM, Striker_703 said:

What do I mean by 'Race Engineer' @dwin20. Say you own eSports race team and you have a pool of drivers of all skill levels. Some of those drivers are good at set-ups and some not. But you have one driver or a few that are great a set-ups and every someone tries those set-ups are fast right out of the box. And if any of those drivers are using tools such as this to help them set-up a car, you have the beginning of a Race Engineer. This could be great for eSports consul and PC teams as it tracks driver performance. I'm not sure if teams are using the Performance Log to track how their drivers are doing over a period of a few seasons. Back to the RE. Tools like this will also help drivers to focus just on the race, instead of wondering where the other drivers are, who they're racing and so on. The photo's that follow are pages that someone can monitor during a race, hence your Race Engineer. On long races this can be a game changer as to creative strategy.

552x414bb.png.6dc853bdd04a37201c099a67c19dd194.png750x750bb.jpeg.8fffad74cff634b653051b9c781926ac.jpegmap_small.jpg.aed4c6a2de3988229b0dacdb46e841d6.jpg   

These are good tools to help you set-up the car and help you see where to improve in driving.maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.a8cce243b9de66b98af82be8e261e9f6.jpgnet.pocketplayground.rsdash_2.png.31cdc6e5adf8d67eaa62a42b5d7adab0.pngnet.pocketplayground.rsdash_7.png.7822e96ab5a832b59a4ddb698cb9c855.png  

THIS. NEEDS. TO. BE. IN. THE. GAME. PERIOD.

No excuses for Codemasters, time to go and add industry standardized features into the game for once.

A more sophisticated setup menu that actually is build upon logic and uses at least a similar layout and a variety of options to choose from as in Project Cars or Assetto Corsa is welcomed as well.

For casuals and or people who do not want to grind the game, a Race Engineer that assists us to get the perfect setup and multiple trackbased default setups that are specifically tailored to suit each track individually would be awesome.

Codemasters make some history and show us proper progress.

#MakeF1GamesGreatAgain 

• Agree 2

I agree with you 100,000,000,000%, but you have to look at the demographic community here @SturmDesTodes. The truth is, they're more GAMER'S than SIM-RACERS on consul and this title was never meant for sim-racers until 2018 when they finally decided step towards simulation. Which upset all the gamer's, and still upsetting the gamer's. iRacing, Project Cars, rFactor, Race Room, Assetto Corsa took the gamer out of the equation from the start. All of them seen how the industry was changing and moving, they followed suit. Some are that than others. At the moment the Formula franchise of CM is still for gamer's Project Cars has something similar to this but not in this much detail.      

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SturmDesTodes said:

No excuses for Codemasters, time to go and add industry standardized features into the game for once.

A more sophisticated setup menu that actually is build upon logic and uses at least a similar layout and a variety of options to choose from as in Project Cars or Assetto Corsa is welcomed as well.

For casuals and or people who do not want to grind the game, a Race Engineer that assists us to get the perfect setup and multiple trackbased default setups that are specifically tailored to suit each track individually would be awesome.

Codemasters make some history and show us proper progress.

Earlier in this thread I posed the question what was the last F1 PC racing game that didn't have telemetry...  In looking at the games that were produced in this century (seriously) there have been 5 different companies besides Codemasters, and those were in the first decade, not this decade. Of those five (looking at wikipedia), two of the games I can't tell whether they had telemetry or not as it is hard to find documentation, although one of them had setups that seemed to match the current F1 2019 (Edios in 2001) and the other was "Hot Wheels Williams F1 Team Driver" (KnowWonder/THQ in 2001).

The other three - which produced multiple versions were by Ubisoft, EA, and Microprose. All of these had telemetry - and some their earlier versions of the game with telemetry were developed in the last century. 

So Project Cars and Assetto Corsa aren't really doing anything new - just including what has been a standard part of racing games for over 20 years. 

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, dwin20 said:

So Project Cars and Assetto Corsa aren't really doing anything new - just including what has been a standard part of racing games for over 20 years

And Codemasters seem to refuse to do that for whatever reason.

Could be a multitude of reasons why:

Budget, lack of talent, lack of planning, lack of creativity, fixed unchangeable goals and data, stubborness, neglect, arrogance, laziness, no vision or simply no energy.

Or maybe, they are just hiding in a fallout shelter.

Who knows, there is absolutely no transparency.

Edited by SturmDesTodes
Spelling error, Format

The rs Dash does capture data for all the classic formula one and formula two cars. The race display is great. It gives the drivers time, sector time and delta to the next car along with driver name. As well other needed info. I'm using the SBT graph along with the G-meter in the telemetry window most at the moment. Great information to help get the set-up right. Knowing how to read the info is key. Screenshot_2019-08-17-20-07-53.thumb.png.5e9e47a087bdeecf8369d56ea0027c62.png

SBT graph lower window. 

Screenshot_2019-08-17-20-07-12.thumb.png.5653b38e8783d40830e1e029ba766725.png

Race Display

Screenshot_2019-08-17-20-06-15.thumb.png.2d768837792e9fccfe4cf1ca8c165472.png

Session information

Screenshot_2019-08-17-20-06-40.thumb.png.1f17fe51cfe416d64d753a5735f6d24a.png

Car information and name of car

• Like 1

On 8/18/2019 at 12:56 AM, SturmDesTodes said:

And Codemasters seem to refuse to do that for whatever reason.

Could be a multitude of reasons why:

Budget, lack of talent, lack of planning, lack of creativity, fixed unchangeable goals and data, stubborness, neglect, arrogance, laziness, no vision or simply no energy.

Or maybe, they are just hiding in a fallout shelter.

Who knows, there is absolutely no transparency.

What does this has to do with transparency? How many companies start to blame their employees about stuff?

On 8/16/2019 at 3:51 PM, Striker_703 said:

Which app is this one please is it the rs dash ??

• Like 1

We have two screens when in the pit lane so why not use them both ... It's not hard to have telemetry in a easy to read format.

Even race director can be brought into the second screen.

There is a lot of minor things still missing from the game .

Like Jeff giving more information, like you have a puncher or you about to get 1 and not wait until you get in to the pit lane.

• Like 1

This is more of realtime dashboard information on telemetry as opposed to some of the more analytical versions...