Sign in to follow this  

hamilton tops uk sports rich list

whilst I have absolutely no problem with sports stars earing loads of money I do have a problem with these things, Lewis lives in Monaco as a tax exile and pays zero tax to the uk treasury. now how can he be the uk's highest paid sportstar if he don't even live in this country. sure he is all nostalgic when winning a race and doing it for the uk but when it comes to paying your fair share (like everyone else) these sport stars run a mile and think they deserve to paid millions without paying tax. it really sickens me as I have dedicated my whole adult life to this country by joining the army when I was 16. im not just singling out Hamilton as most are at the same thing. 

I personally don't have a problem with it. It is how the world is and if he has the money to live in Monaco and not pay tax then why not? He is British though so that's obviously why he's the richest British sportsman, even if he doesn't live here any more.

The fact Arsene Wenger and Jose Mourinho are on that list means it isn't really British anyway...

I remember reading a while back (and I'm talking 7 years ago, so someone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) in Lewis' book - "My Story" - that the main reason he first decided to move abroad is he got so big in the UK so fast that he basically couldn't move without being flanked by journalists and paparazzi from all angles. This also translated to all his friend and family members, so they couldn't go out without being photographed or having a news story written about them as well. He cited that he had to make the move abroad for these reasons. 

Sure, he won't be complaining about having no tax to pay. But to say that's the only reason behind him moving abroad is unfair, given this information. 

whilst I have absolutely no problem with sports stars earing loads of money I do have a problem with these things, Lewis lives in Monaco as a tax exile and pays zero tax to the uk treasury. now how can he be the uk's highest paid sportstar if he don't even live in this country. sure he is all nostalgic when winning a race and doing it for the uk but when it comes to paying your fair share (like everyone else) these sport stars run a mile and think they deserve to paid millions without paying tax. it really sickens me as I have dedicated my whole adult life to this country by joining the army when I was 16. im not just singling out Hamilton as most are at the same thing. 
Cool story bro

VetteIfan said:
I remember reading a while back (and I'm talking 7 years ago, so someone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) in Lewis' book - "My Story" - that the main reason he first decided to move abroad is he got so big in the UK so fast that he basically couldn't move without being flanked by journalists and paparazzi from all angles. This also translated to all his friend and family members, so they couldn't go out without being photographed or having a news story written about them as well. He cited that he had to make the move abroad for these reasons. 

Sure, he won't be complaining about having no tax to pay. But to say that's the only reason behind him moving abroad is unfair, given this information. 

Aah yes, you're right actually, well remembered!

VetteIfan said:

I believe you but his logic doesn't really make sense. Are there no paparazzi in Monaco? I guess not as many but still it's a small place with a lot of tourism and a large F1 following. I find it hard to believe he wouldn't still be bothered by all of it. 

I do somewhat agree with you on the taxes stuff. People like Lewis leaving means that those who are left, the common people, are forced to pay more taxes to support the NHS and other things like that. I mean if we need a few billion more for the NHS, people like Lewis could probably put a nice chunk towards that with their taxes if they paid them. 

But, I completely understand why. If you can get away without paying taxes, you generally do. Having said that, If I had that much money, I would happily pay taxes. No one needs millions of pounds a year.

AMS97KRR said:
I do somewhat agree with you on the taxes stuff. People like Lewis leaving means that those who are left, the common people, are forced to pay more taxes to support the NHS and other things like that. I mean if we need a few billion more for the NHS, people like Lewis could probably put a nice chunk towards that with their taxes if they paid them. 

But, I completely understand why. If you can get away without paying taxes, you generally do. Having said that, If I had that much money, I would happily pay taxes. No one needs millions of pounds a year.
The Brits that leave are balanced out by those who come in and earn a fortune - Manchester City players for example.

I agree that tax avoidance sucks but to be fair if I had his money I'm not sure I'd want to live in the UK either.  The miserable climate being the main reason !

VetteIfan said:

I believe you but his logic doesn't really make sense. Are there no paparazzi in Monaco? I guess not as many but still it's a small place with a lot of tourism and a large F1 following. I find it hard to believe he wouldn't still be bothered by all of it. 
Sure, it will always be an issue for any major sporting star. But in Monaco everybody is a "somebody", so with so many stars in a built up place it's reasonable to predict it will be less concentrated on him. If that makes sense. Plus there's still the issue of family, it takes some of the press away from them back in the UK.