Jump to content

Pad vs Wheel completely broken?

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, lucsus1989 said:

Yeah on PC... I think we others are talking about console wherw the pad is the standard input device bit still redicilious to spend 600 euros on a wheel and than you are slower as pad ūü§Ē

Didn't know that input device performance is different between PC and Consoles. :classic_blink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not  really 

a ffb wheel is lot more fun and immersive then a pad,

at game release of f1 2019 ,pad vs wheel was equal,

over last few updates the pad is almost 1 to 2 seconds faster ,

 

weve used f1 2019 for season 3 of our league race and they are almost unbeatable ,

wheel vs pad is faster in rain ,

the bigest insult are the f2 cars  , pad users are 2 seconds faster then wheel user , at game release pad users could hardly race f2 cars, now they can,

also the tc is messed up , medium tc feels like no tc and vice versa ,

i see we have another patch out today , please let it fix the ffb for wheel users and make pad vs wheel equal again,

i use t300 ,

racing rig ,

league owners of f1 2019 ,18, 17 ,

pcars1 and 2,. Asetto corsa , dirt rally 1 and 2,. Iracing PC,

so we have proof as a wheel user won't use his wheel but use his pad because it's quicker,

i would still rather be slower and have the  immersive factor ,

roll on ps5 lol  

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

There may be a major issue when it comes to pad drivers using the assist to wheel drivers not using assist. I finished my third league race tonight and come to find out I'm the only wheel driver in the field. Now saying that the field was 3 seconds faster than I during the race. 

Edited by Striker_703
  • Disagree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Striker_703 said:

There may be a major issue when it comes to pad drivers using the assist to wheel drivers not using assist. I finished my third league race tonight and come to find out I'm the only wheel driver in the field. Now saying that the field was 3 seconds faster than I during the race. 

Could it just be people are faster than you?

As you mentioned before, you only race the AI on level 80 which doesn't suggest your the quickest wheel user.

Some people are just good at using the pad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I race 105 AI on the wheel on and 103 on the pad, I tend to use pad more often though, it's less consistent but I like the cheating trigger rumble for braking and wheelspin on the Xbox One controller, no assists

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I'm going to give it a try. 

OMG I was all over the place at first. It's hard to judge since I haven't used a pad in a few decades. I don't know. Though a lot of people I run with say that the pad is faster due to the assist. 

Edited by Striker_703

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't understand why the assists are so strong, I use none and I have noticed say 80-90% use 2 or all Assist are near the top . Assists should be reduced to match non assist or be a bit weaker so people stop using it. Like cockpit view this should be improved. 

To make people use it more.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I recently bought a Logitech g920 wheel and have had to lower my difficulty quite abit was playing 92 on pad and have to drop to around 84 with the wheel at first I thought it was my braking but 2 weeks later I still can't get to the pace I had on controller something must be up ??

Edited by Harveyaj

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would say I'm atleast 4 tenths down a lap I see a lot of people turn off under steer enhance on Logitech could this be a problem ? Many thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Harveyaj said:

I recently bought a Logitech g920 wheel and have had to lower my difficulty quite abit was playing 92 on pad and have to drop to around 84 with the wheel at first I thought it was my braking but 2 weeks later I still can't get to the pace I had on controller something must be up ??

Just two weeks of wheel practice isn't that long to be honest. When I made the switch it took me months, maybe even half a year or more before I got to the same skill level I had on the pad before, and I practiced pretty much every day.

That's the thing about racing with a wheel though, you'll never stop improving. Just keep practicing without focussing on the times too much and it will come! 

Edited by Worntoathread

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Harveyaj said:

I would say I'm atleast 4 tenths down a lap I see a lot of people turn off under steer enhance on Logitech could this be a problem ? Many thanks 

Possibly. It may contribute but comparing driving a wheel to a controller is like comparing chalk and cheese.

You will just need to get used to the wheel.

I'm sure there may be places where a pad has an advantage but you will never be able to post the same level of consistency lap after lap with a pad.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don¬īt think that wheel vs. pad is completly broken... but there are situations in which the pad seems to have more grip.
Or it is a driver problem concerning Thrustmaster...

Example: Bahrain Turn 2 & 3 Racepace in Customlobby online.

While in Quali the pace of 10 drivers have been in 8tenth of second... during the race it became 1 Sec/Lap.
When entering turn 2 ... me using Thrustmaster t300 with t3pa-pro pedals ... I could not push the throttle as fast as the pad user.
I always have to be more patient and wait otherwise... I spun.

So in my mind these differences between pad and wheel is only relevant when accelerating out of slow corners when there is wheelspin to expect.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Far1an said:

I don¬īt think that wheel vs. pad is completly broken... but there are situations in which the pad seems to have more grip.
Or it is a driver problem concerning Thrustmaster...

Example: Bahrain Turn 2 & 3 Racepace in Customlobby online.

While in Quali the pace of 10 drivers have been in 8tenth of second... during the race it became 1 Sec/Lap.
When entering turn 2 ... me using Thrustmaster t300 with t3pa-pro pedals ... I could not push the throttle as fast as the pad user.
I always have to be more patient and wait otherwise... I spun.

So in my mind these differences between pad and wheel is only relevant when accelerating out of slow corners when there is wheelspin to expect.

 

Yeah.. We are in our league in bahrain.. And in the assist league we are running there was in q3 9 pad drivers and only 1 wheel driver.. And i see in the non assist league where i drive the pad drivers are much closer to the front than they were in melbourne and the most time they gain is in sector 1... They have much more traction out of slow corners, in rain and at start

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hi guys,
 I also noticed this big difference
 between logitech g29 and pad but 
as some of you said,
 before the updates came out was it better
 to drive with the steering wheel?
 Thanks in advance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It has allways been mentioned and known that the pad had a built in Traction Control , not alot , but just enough. 

 

Means better acceleration.

 

Even Limitless in his videos have confirmed this.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 8/19/2019 at 11:56 AM, Hygradeb said:

I don't understand why the assists are so strong, I use none and I have noticed say 80-90% use 2 or all Assist are near the top . Assists should be reduced to match non assist or be a bit weaker so people stop using it. Like cockpit view this should be improved. 

To make people use it more.

Assists should never match no assists in terms of speed.

 

It needs to be at least 4 seconds off the pace if full assists are being used and around 1,5 - 2 seconds off the pace if minimal assists are being used.

 

Else, except of course of immersion, there is no reason to run no assists in terms of competition, because no assists drivers will be at a disadvantage.

 

19 hours ago, Far1an said:

I don¬īt think that wheel vs. pad is completly broken... but there are situations in which the pad seems to have more grip

THIS.

 

Pad seems to have a inbuild TC and ABS.

 

From my testings i was able to find out that it is much easier to lose traction and or lock up the tyres on the wheel,  whereas on the pad it is very hard to lose traction or lock up at all.

 

Fun fact, the simple 180¬į spin to recover from going off the track is much easier on the wheel, but in contrary wet weather conditions make the pad a¬†much easier companion.

 

All in all, over a whole race weekend the pad is a lot less stressful to drive with.

 

Imo the pad should be at least 0,8 seconds off the pace compared to the wheel, else there is no reason to go and buy a wheel except of immersion.

 

 

Edited by SturmDesTodes
Spelling error, Format
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SturmDesTodes said:

Assists should never match no assists in terms of speed.

 

It needs to be at least 4 seconds off the pace if full assists are being used and around 1,5 - 2 aeconds off the pace if minimal assists are being used.

 

Else, except of course of immersion, there is no reason to run no assists in terms of competition, because no assists drivers will be at a disadvantage.

 

THIS.

 

Pad seems to have a inbuild TC and ABS, from my testings i was a ble to find out that it is much easier to lose traction and or lock up the tyres on the wheel,  whereas on the pad it is very hard to lose traction or lock up at all.

 

Fun fact, the simple 180¬į spin to recover from going off the track is much easier on the wheel, but in contrary wet weather conditions make the pad a¬†much easier companion.

 

All in all, over a whole race weekend the pad is a lot less stressful to drive with.

 

Imo the pad should be at least 0,8 seconds off the pace compared to the wheel, else there is no reason to go and buy a wheel except of immersion.

 

 

I agreed with most of that until the last bit. They should absolutely not make pad intentionally slower, that would mean the game would essentially become 'pay to win'. 

They should aim to make all inputs as equal as possible, so the best players can get similar results on either device. Neither should have an unfair advantage over the other. 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Worntoathread said:

I agreed with most of that until the last bit. They should absolutely not make pad intentionally slower, that would mean the game would essentially become 'pay to win'. 

They should aim to make all inputs as equal as possible, so the best players can get similar results on either device. Neither should have an unfair advantage over the other. 

I get what you are saying, but if we are totally honest with ourselves, in real life cars are driven with wheels and not pads.

 

Only two solutions here, either...

 

...make pads around 0,8 seconds slower than wheels....

 

...or...

 

...make both pad and wheel equal in all aspects, meaning no hidden TC and ABS for pad users anymore.

 

If the pad had no hidden TC and ABS, i guess the wheel would emerge as the winner all the time due to the fact that it is much more precise, so making both input devices fully equal would probably not solve anything as well.

 

At the moment pads are too good, wheels are expensive and not as easy to get into, thus the latter become far less attractive except for the purpose of getting full immersion of course, but the opposite should be the case.

 

Codemasters should actively try to make us drive with no assists and make us want to buy a wheel.

 

Racing games = steering wheel, unless it's Forza, NFS or Mario Kart.

 

To each their own.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, SturmDesTodes said:

 

 

Pad seems to have a inbuild TC and ABS.

 

From my testings i was able to find out that it is much easier to lose traction and or lock up the tyres on the wheel,  whereas on the pad it is very hard to lose traction or lock up at all.

 

 

Yeah, i believe that's the case

Edited by farjam1990

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi I'm new to f1 PC for a week now and I want to race without assists but if i take the braking assist completely off and the traction off then the car won't stay straight even on a straight. It just turns and spins immediately. I am using a Ps4 controller to play. Does anyone know why the car is spinning and it is unplayable? I really want to compete

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/20/2019 at 3:36 PM, SturmDesTodes said:

Racing games = steering wheel, unless it's Forza, NFS or Mario Kart.


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Nope, this is not a simulator and this is why the pad is so strong. Simple. Even with the best wheel and no assists, this is not a simulator at all. They can't make artificially the pads slower because you want, they must totally redesign the physic engine. Or at least permit to join online sessions with only wheel players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Steering wheel! Hey!!"

 

I have noticed the exact same thing. Tried tt on pad and it's a different game all together. Played F1 2016 on a pad for a month, from then I've been using a wheel. Now I compared in tt and I was within 0,1 seconds straight away without assists on the pad.

A game of this type (ie not a sim) shouldn't inherently be easier depending on your equipment imo. In esscence - Why should a setup for a particular track be changed according to wheel or pad? I have massive loss of mid corner front end grip on a wheel but not with the pad? Car won't stop as fast no matter what I try.

Something is odd. Either it's in the game or my equipment. But what do I change and why? AND how come other people find the same problem and don't have the same issue with F1 2018?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×