DiRT Rally 2.0 - Seasons 3 & 4

4 minutes ago, SmelterBelter said:

If the current trend continues, they will simply... create a few new tracks now (in parallel) not add them to DR2 but keep them for DR3...

Then an they will simply remove some features, cars, and all tracks from this game, add in the “new” tracks ONLY and sell it for £60... then they will somehow get whoever is funding this disgusting model, to rebuy the DR2 content AGAIN with some new 4K textures and HDR tone mapping?

I mean they have been selling the same (and only) snow track for over a decade, even though it’s the same map and content since dirt 3. 

Great model for them, terrible for the consumer!

What are you on about?

1) They've created ~150km of brand new stage for this game and updated ~150km from DR1.
2) Instead of holding the shiniest, new bits back as DLC as many companies do, they've made that the base content so EVERYONE has this.
3) Then the upgraded DR1 venues are available optionally for people who are really into the game. Result; we have nearly 300km of the best modelled stages ever seen in a rally game.
4) They would not be able to produce the same distance in new locations as by upgrading them, so we'd have ended up with far less otherwise.
5) The Swedish stages are the same base model as DR1 but have nothing in common at all with Dirt 3, which has a few KM of really wide roads. Maybe they share the odd snow or tree texture, but that's it.

The alternative to what we have would be the base game containing the updated DR1 locations with 2 brand new ones and then 1x new rally location per 'season'. Personally, I'd rather have been playing New Zealand, USA, Australia et al. for the last few months, during which I've forgotten the Greek and Finnish stages anyway.

• Agree 5

2 hours ago, PJTierney said:

New locations are incredibly expensive to produce and license.

Charge more for them. If a content is good, it doesn't need to be 3.5€. I'm sure a lot of people would pay 15 or 20€ for a rally location if it's well crafted. You dont need to release everything at the same pace. It would need to have more than just 1 route though.

Would it be as expensive to produce new stages for existing locations? Because im sure people would be ok with that.

No matter what, you already have a pretty solid content base for DiRT Rally 3. More stages per rally would just be a wonder.

• Agree 7

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, SmelterBelter said:

I mean they have been selling the same (and only) snow track for over a decade, even though it’s the same map and content since dirt 3. 

It's not THE SAME. It's revamped.
Monza circuit is being released in racing games for two decades right now. Are you going to blame game developers that they include this famous track to every new game edition?

If you really need to moan, do that for a proper reason: for not enough brand new locations. Not for including previous locations to new product for almost free of charge (literally a few bucks)

Edited by MaXyMsrpl
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, SmelterBelter said:

I was referencing Monaco, so we can agree to disagree. 

In which case, I can see some of the same textures maybe, but the stages are different:

Can you point out to me where in here the DR Monte stages overlap? It's possible they do, but I can't find it.

(BTW: this video and D3 physics make me so very grateful for Dirt Rally!)

Posted (edited)

My ideal Dirt Rally 3.0 would be :
Small technical improvements on the engine, but not much changes so the old tracks would be easy to port and won't look outdated.

- Sum RallyX if they want but I don't care
- Sum eventual hillclimb (I'd apreciate)

- Rally content, each country offering 4 long distinct tracks (DR1.0 and 2.0 only had 2 + variants) :
New England, Monte Carlo, Spain, Sweden, Ireland, New Zeland, Finland, China, Wales, Greece
Don't care if I already know some of the tracks taken from former games, more than half will be new ! And reusing existing locations is less work for Codies as textures, trees and other meshes can be reused...

- Rally DLC countries, with 4 long tracks as well :
Germany (with new vineyard tracks), Argentina (revamped, with longer existing tracks and new ones
), Australia and Safari Kenya.

10/10 would buy this full price (if they release it no later than early 2021).

Edited by toninus
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

There's still alot of content to do, either for DR2 or DiRT Rally 3. So the possibilities aren't even near the end at all.

Besides some of the most requested rallies still being absent, there's also the stages. One more stage per existing rally is already itself a tremendous amount of work if they are to keep the "real course" and the same level of detail like the others. There's also a few other iconic cars missing from the 2000s, better esports tools, ability to have staggered starts in the stages with the cars live, etc.

There's really a lot to push in this genre that it won't even be all covered in the next iteration of DiRT Rally, if there's one.

I think one of the things they should definitely do when designing DR3, is to double the amount of stages like WRC did. If we have 2 long distant routes, that will be enough for a  lot of variety.

Edited by Riggs
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

3 minutes ago, toninus said:

My ideal Dirt 3 would be :

- Sum RallyX if they want but I don't care
- Sum eventual hillclimb (I'd apreciate)

- Rally content, each country offering 4 long distinct tracks (DR1.0 and 2.0 only had 2 + variants) :
New England, Monte Carlo, Spain, Sweden, Ireland, New Zeland, Finland, China, Greece
Don't care if I know already half the tracks (taken from former games, more than half will be new ! And reusing existing locations is less work for Codies as textures, trees and other meshes can be reused...

- Rally DLC countries, with 4 long tracks as well :
Germany (with new vineyard tracks), Argentina (revamped, with longer existing tracks and new ones
), Australia and Safari Kenya.

10/10 would buy this (if they release it no later than early 2021).

I don't even know, what to think about it. Let's see. Some suggestions are great, I even thought about it. Kenya, the missing one since 'DiRT 3', which actually appeared only in this game and in the legendary 'Colin McRae Rally 2.0'. But Germany, third time in row? Even if it was not Baumholder, it would be Germany again. Besides, New England, Spain, New Zealand? It sounds like Monte Carlo, Sweden and Germany from Season 1. All these locations have already been to 'DiRT Rally' and they have been reused in 'DiRT Rally 2.0' as DLC. Not so great idea at all. 🤔

5 minutes ago, kombajnkoszoncy said:

I don't even know, what to think about it. Let's see. Some suggestions are great, I even thought about it. Kenya, the missing one since 'DiRT 3', which actually appeared only in this game and in the legendary 'Colin McRae Rally 2.0'. But Germany, third time in row? Even if it was not Baumholder, it would be Germany again. Besides, New England, Spain, New Zealand? It sounds like Monte Carlo, Sweden and Germany from Season 1. All these locations have already been to 'DiRT Rally' and they have been reused in 'DiRT Rally 2.0' as DLC. Not so great idea at all. 🤔

Do you prefer to only have 5 "almost completely new" locations only ?

9 minutes ago, Riggs said:

There's still alot of content to do, either for DR2 or DiRT Rally 3. So the possibilities aren't even near the end at all.

Besides some of the most requested rallies still being absent, there's also the stages. One more stage per existing rally is already itself a tremendous amount of work if they are to keep the "real course" and the same level of detail like the others. There's also a few other iconic cars missing from the 2000s, better esports tools, ability to have staggered starts in the stages with the cars live, etc.

There's really a lot to push in this genre that it won't even be all covered in the next iteration of DiRT Rally, if there's one.

I think one of the things they should definitely do when designing DR3, is to double the amount of stages like WRC did. If we have 2 long distant routes, that will be enough for a  lot of variety.

You are absolutely right. And when it comes to cars, I am also of the opinion that cars from 2000s, especially from 2000-2006 should be included. Ford Focus RS 2001, Subaru Impreza WRX STI N12, Citroen Xsara are legends, which have been missing for many years (maybe except Ford).

A few things I have to say about locations:

- People wouldn't want them to just reuse locations. So they did just that: shipped the game with all 6 locations being new. These locations are available at no extra cost.

- Then there are those who like the old locations to return. But they need a makeover as there are new physics, new graphical and gameplay features than need to be integrated. It's not a straight up port. So, there's work involved and they need to charge for it. I was expecting, at least, 4.99€ per location. You get them for 3.49€. That's a win there. If you don't fancy driving those famous stages again, you can just not purchase them, which is great.

- Last, but not least, I find it interesting that people want good, real-world rally stages, but they can't be repeated. If necessary, some of these people will buy a new Forza game, every 2 years or so, and expect all tracks like Le Mans, Spa, Nürburgring, all to come back again. That's repeated content you pay for over and over again. But, it's a new game, new graphics and the tracks are updated to a new level, just like the DiRT Rally stages. So, if you have no problem paying for the same racetracks, just improved, over and over again, why do you feel so cheated with the same real-stages (which you can't change otherwise they won't be real stages anymore) being revamped and charged for again?

• Agree 6
  • Disagree 1

Mucho Reciclado 😪😪😪😪

Hace 8 horas, PJTierney dijo:

Eso puede llegar antes de lo que piensas 😉 

1 minute ago, toninus said:

Do you prefer to only have 5 "almost completely new" locations only ?

Why only 5? I didn't say how many. I just have said that it would be better if they make completely new locations instead of taking the old ones over and over again. Do you know, in how many countries around the world rally competitions take place? There are lots of them. Not only the ones we have got in 'DiRT Rally' games. There are also such countries like Mexico, Chile, even Turkey. Check WRC 2019 calendar.

• Agree 1

Ya podrian trabajar mas el juego . Yo estoy harto . Compre dirt 3 . 4 . Dirt rally  y dirt rally 2 y ya va mucho copia y paga estoy cansado codemasters.  Mas pistas y mas coches nuevos . El motor ego desde el dirt colin mcrae en 2006 . 

• Disagree 2

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, warpengage said:

A few things I have to say about locations:

- People wouldn't want them to just reuse locations. So they did just that: shipped the game with all 6 locations being new. These locations are available at no extra cost.

- Then there are those who like the old locations to return. But they need a makeover as there are new physics, new graphical and gameplay features than need to be integrated. It's not a straight up port. So, there's work involved and they need to charge for it. I was expecting, at least, 4.99€ per location. You get them for 3.49€. That's a win there. If you don't fancy driving those famous stages again, you can just not purchase them, which is great.

- Last, but not least, I find it interesting that people want good, real-world rally stages, but they can't be repeated. If necessary, some of these people will buy a new Forza game, every 2 years or so, and expect all tracks like Le Mans, Spa, Nürburgring, all to come back again. That's repeated content you pay for over and over again. But, it's a new game, new graphics and the tracks are updated to a new level, just like the DiRT Rally stages. So, if you have no problem paying for the same racetracks, just improved, over and over again, why do you feel so cheated with the same real-stages (which you can't change otherwise they won't be real stages anymore) being revamped and charged for again?

Rally isn't like Forza or even Grid.
Rally is about being surprised by some hairpin or new jump you don't really know. The more tracks you have, the more time it takes to learn them. And even if half of them comes from the former game, the fact you can mix them with new ones make championships more interesting.

I won't mind if the game doesn't change much on a technical point of view. DR2.0 is the best looking rally game on the market as well as one of the best to drive on. What's needed now is more content, not new shiny 4K textures and ray tracing to make pretty trailers for the next generation consoles.

BTW I'm not buying any Forza or other bi-annual racing licence. Even if Forza Horizon offers a new (small) playground on every iteration.
Even WRC games have half their tracks renewed every year !

Edited by toninus
  • Agree 2

11 minutes ago, kombajnkoszoncy said:

Why only 5? I didn't say how many. I just have said that it would be better if they make completely new locations instead of taking the old ones over and over again. Do you know, in how many countries around the world rally competitions take place? There are lots of them. Not only the ones we have got in 'DiRT Rally' games. There are also such countries like Mexico, Chile, even Turkey. Check WRC 2019 calendar.

Because it costs more money and time to create everything from scratch.
If they create a new location, they have to model all the trees, rocks and textures. It they reuse an existing country and add new tracks on them, a good 60% of the modeling work is already done.

4 minutes ago, toninus said:

Because it costs more money and time to create everything from scratch.
If they create a new location, they have to model all the trees, rocks and textures. It they reuse an existing country and add new tracks on them, a good 60% of the modeling work is already done.

So I understand that you don't mind if you pay money for the same content, do you?

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, kombajnkoszoncy said:

So I understand that you don't mind if you pay money for the same content, do you?

No, I will buy all the DR1.0 tracks for DR2.0.
But what I want is MORE of the same : half new tracks layouts in the same environments, half old ones (because it doesn't cost much and it's always good to have them) + let's say 30% of 100% new locations.

Overall way more new tracks than just 6 100% new countries, but a game that costs the same price.

Look at my suggestion again if you didn't got it :

EDIT : some math :
6 new countries, and let's suppose they do an average 40km per location which is more than in DR2.0 : 240 km in total
9 existing countries with twice more tracks (average 25 km like in DR2.0, but x2) + 2 100% new ones (50 km as well) : 550 km in total, including 225 from old tracks, and 325 from new ones. And the DLC is more appealing because it's new stuff !

Edited by toninus

Ha, I've been away all day and forgot this might happen today so I missed all the excitement.

I'm kind of torn. I want to buy the S3 & 4 pack, but S4 doesn't have any rally locations or cars, and all the cars are just updated versions and liveries of cars we've already got (ok fine, except for the Clio and Ibiza).

I really like RX, but more than 90% of my time in-game is spent in rally. I would've been fine with just getting 2019 liveries on already-existing cars and getting those Group A Subarus and the Hyundai RX car instead (licensing issues probably 😕). I would've liked Spa and a new rally location, but I understand the former is very expensive and the latter both expensive and time-consuming.

so yeah. I don't really need D+ access. the special liveries haven't been up to par. and I'm happy just buying the S3 content plus Killarney and Lydden Hill separately.

eh, I'll guess I'll see when we know how much it costs.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

So, just my 2c worth:

If we had been told at the outset that within the first year, DR2.0 would feature four new locations, and eight remasters from DR1/D4, I think we would have been pretty happy with that. But the fact that it's under wraps and staggered leads to higher expectations, especially as existing locations get thrashed so we become hungry for new stuff.

Agree with the idea that new locations could be charged at a higher rate. I would happily pay $20 for a new location. But it would help if there were more kms and therefore unique stages. From memory RBR had completely unique stages, one of its great features (this could be nostalgia but I think its correct). One of the problems with DR2.0 is finding yourself repeating entire sections back-to-back within a rally. Coupled with a slow stagger of new locations and it leads to fatigue/boredom.

And I am adamantly of the view that feature updates are being overlooked. FoV slider, Dashcam, 2nd offline career mode, extra time of day for all stages (morning). These four alone would see an enormous amount of goodwill come from the player base. I hope CM can adjust their priorities.

Edited by Jake Cushing
  • Agree 5

I can handle the recycled locations, mainly because the game came with 6 new ones and the dr1 ones are optional to buy. 

it was the omission of the popular 2000’s class at release that i was gutted about, and then they were released as dlc later on. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, ianism said:

so yeah. I don't really need D+ access. the special liveries haven't been up to par. and I'm happy just buying the S3 content plus Killarney and Lydden Hill separately.

Spot on.

3 hours ago, Jake Cushing said:

So, just my 2c worth:

If we had been told at the outset that within the first year, DR2.0 would feature four new locations, and eight remasters from DR1/D4, I think we would have been pretty happy with that. But the fact that it's under wraps and staggered leads to higher expectations, especially as existing locations get thrashed so we become hungry for new stuff.

Honestly, if they said it featured eight remastered locations and four new ones in the base game for $60 I think everyone would have said "yeah, that seems fair". They probably would have sold a shitload more copies of the game too.

Agree with the idea that new locations could be charged at a higher rate. I would happily pay $20 for a new location.

So, just my 2c worth:

That's insane.

And I am adamantly of the view that feature updates are being overlooked. FoV slider, Dashcam, 2nd offline career mode, extra time of day for all stages (morning). These four alone would see an enormous amount of goodwill come from the player base. I hope CM can adjust their priorities.

I couldn't agree more. Sadly there is no precedent for this kind of progressive behaviour from CMs.

36 minutes ago, Pieman99 said:

it was the omission of the popular 2000’s class at release that i was gutted about, and then they were released as dlc later on. 

Nickle and dime all the way.

As Jake mentions above, I would happily throw money at DLC if CMs had shown more commitment to post game support, but them openly admitting to siphoning off the dev team to work on the next full price release while the game sat for months with glaring holes doesn't endear the kind of consumer loyalty they seem to expect.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

@PJTierney - put new tracks on Kickstarter and raise money for them. It will be win-win situation. You raise money - you make new track.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, chukonu said:

Better to just continue developing DR2.0 imho. Would be awesome to get Season 5 and 6 and beyond. There are still directions they can go with this game.

I agree, DR 2.0 become a strong platform with most of its bugs fixed. It has GREAT physics, awesome stages, decent graphics and sound. I rather to see new content for DR 2.0 for 2020-21 than having DR 3.0 rushed and having a game with many bugs and reading again all the whining and crying here and on FBook.

• Agree 5