Jump to content Jump to content

DiRT Rally - It's here

Rallycameraman

I must have had a premonition !

Yesterday I installed steam and Dirt3 for the first time on a works PC to see how it would perform. It's a beast of a laptop for FPGA compilation and it worked pretty well, despite the graphics card being a bit average.

Being sent off to somewhere miserable and sandy next week, so going to download this to keep me busy.

Darhour said:
subarucj said:
Nice to see they left it off the consoles. Not like we haven't been waiting for it for years  :|
I'm pretty sure that next-gen consoles would black out in front of the recommended specs. 
Recommended specs mean nothing to consoles. Games that have been on both have had drastically higher recommend specs for nearly 10 years now.

Also, I just checked the recommended stats, and I think you underestimate next gen consoles considerably. 

So you guys announce and release DIRT rally, the day after Kris Meeke dedicated his first WRC win in Argentina to Colin McRae.

I'm not sure if this is a calculated move or the best coincidence in gaming history.

But in all seriousness it looks really good and I'm definitely hyped for this. 

Howdy, BigLee, the old bugger is back and having paid his dues is downloading the game.

Having been here since 2008, and suffered the treatment from CM for the past few years, I hope you get it right with this one ?

Unfortunately, I've seen a lot of guys walking around with 2 fingers up . .  but having stuck it out for 3 years with pcars I'm ready for a new challenge . . . keeping an eye on CM, if you get my drift ?

Howdy, BigLee, the old bugger is back and having paid his dues is downloading the game.

Having been here since 2008, and suffered the treatment from CM for the past few years, I hope you get it right with this one ?

Unfortunately, I've seen a lot of guys walking around with 2 fingers up . .  but having stuck it out for 3 years with pcars I'm ready for a new challenge . . . keeping an eye on CM, if you get my drift ?

Lol nice to see you cross the corridor between the GRID and DiRT forums dude :D 

In all seriousness I hope you like it. 

Lol nice to see you cross the corridor between the GRID and DiRT forums dude :D 

In all seriousness I hope you like it. 

Well, thankee, kindly . .

I was always a Dirt man in 1 and 2 but cut'n'shut tracks in 3 finished it for me . .

Dirt Rally looks like we might be getting what we asked for, Dirt 1 brought up to date.

Unfortunately, if I was to show many my Richard Burns Rally sim they would run a mile, possibly the hardest racing game known to man, so it will be interesting to see how many take up the challenge of Dirt Rally.

Watching the videos I can see it has all the hallmarks of a Rally sim, usual high quality CM gfx, great audio . . .and a long way to go before completed.

I did notice that some thought £22 a bit high for an early access but many of us paid £45 for a full membership of pcars when we raced wire frames around square boxes . .and at that time it was a pre-alpha.

After all the water under the bridge it is hard to keep the faith, some might say this is what we had been begging for, for years but had been ignored, now that CM suddenly take up the idea smacks of a last ditch stand . . .that is what I'm hearing, with many believing that CM are not Slightly Mad Studios and will not stay the course.

I must be a sucker for punishment because for some reason I'm not drained of wishful thinking and reckon Dirt Rally is worth giving it a go . . Autosport pulled Grid out of the poo when it comes to showing that CM can still do it if they make the right decisions so if enough others take up the baton and do some serious beta work - assuming . .and it's a very big assumption, that CM actually listen to us and haven't thrown that in as another con trick - we could together nail it.

There are a lot of very good drivers, and a lot of very good computer guys out there whose beta input would be invaluable . . .they just have to get interested enough.

I do have one big niggle, CM have always boasted of their all-done-in-house policy . . . I know they must be aware of, paid-for-betas, early access etc., and would like to believe that they have finally woken up . .or someone has told them to wake up, but old habits die hard !

Hey Cap :) As usual very nicely put and I couldn't agree more.

Hi Lee. Another "Oldie" jumpin over the fence here as well LOL :) 
Gotta say though, even on limited gameplay I'm impressed, steep learning curve and some really vicious "nasties" hidden about, like big boulders ready to rip a wheel off the unwary..

Hope it continues in the same vein. Just put this together as I'm loving challenge of this game, off to do the next stages.....
https://youtu.be/AYzO9MDg3WU

Hi Mike . . . Miat said you would be jumping in . .

This is more like the business, just how a game should be . . .the blueprint was laid down years ago, and years ago people said try and change it and you will ruin it . . . but leave it based on the real jobby and you have the winning formula, simple logic.

I was watching the Argentina stage of the WRC last night and can confirm that CM have the flying dust just right, lol . .

But, seriously, Dirt Rally really is what many of us have been waiting for, and already we have daily, weekly, and monthly online challenges.
Good format; daily can only be run the once, I got it at night and smashed my headlights on the first hairpin by driving straight on into the parked vehicles; weekly is very smart, you have to get enough cash to buy the right car which means a lot of play; and the monthly challenge has a whole load of races to complete.
My little mini S-type has a lot of work to do but as the advanced setup is unlocked I have changed the gear ratios and am now flying on the edge.

Hopefully, a lot of the old crew will turn up and give this one a go . . . my money says it's only a question of time before Assie gives in . . .all we have to do is keep the "Dirt" thread on our site busy with praising comments, lol . . .

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re1QbtBUs78&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Yep . . . Assie is now on Board, lol . . .
 The video is called Beating Assie. Took over 2 mins off of his time on the daily challenge . . .

Just me in Career championship in Wales (cockpit cam replay).

https://youtu.be/HAeO4wsJ678

Loving the game so far an it just gets better the more you play :smiley: 

Ooooh yes you do, put a wheel off the track in a few places and you get to see SKY/TREES oooohh dear.... 

You can even get thrown off track just hitting a dip in the track the wrong way, still, even the learning is fun as when you get it right you can be stunned by the results. You have to think about how the cars gonna react to what you see ahead and prepare for it, react to the road and you're in the wall/cliff/air or got a puncture/de-laminated tyre/missing wheel/cracked radiator.... the list goes on.....

I just ran Monte Carlo in the 2nd championship and somehow drove like a hooligan and STILL won the entire event by 1:15:XX took a vid of Stage 3 taken in-game instead my usual of a replay like the others above...

https://youtu.be/rTPOOjXGMhc

Ooooh yes you do, put a wheel off the track in a few places and you get to see SKY/TREES oooohh dear.... 
I hit something in the road proper the other day, and did a double bounce on the hood of my car.
That's something that hasn't happened in any game other than RBR for me.
I'm not sure exactly what it was because of the shadows I was in at the time, but it was definitely a wild ride.

Thats exactly what I meant a small hidden from view rock can be enough to fire you into the weeds D3 you KNEW you were off track and in danger...

You can even get thrown off track just hitting a dip in the track the wrong way, still, even the learning is fun as when you get it right you can be stunned by the results. You have to think about how the cars gonna react to what you see ahead and prepare for it, react to the road and you're in the wall/cliff/air or got a puncture/de-laminated tyre/missing wheel/cracked radiator.... the list goes on.....

I just ran Monte Carlo in the 2nd championship and somehow drove like a hooligan and STILL won the entire event by 1:15:XX took a vid of Stage 3 taken in-game instead my usual of a replay like the others above...

https://youtu.be/rTPOOjXGMhc
In.the video before my post he had gone off the edge repeatedly. Every one of those would fling you through the air as if you had no weight in dirt 3 

Not from what I remember, if you went WAAAY too far in D3 yeah you got launched but usually after you had gone "Off track", the point I was making is in this features in the actual road surfaces can launch you completely off the course. Costing you 12-15 seconds as opposed to the 2-4 using a flashback in D3 and usually no more than 4-5 if you didn't use a flashback.

The vid before your post about being launched is one of mine, trust me, every time I was off the track and recovered I was launched into the air until the very last bounce, all I could do was pray I landed it with the front wheels pointing in the right direction to correct the oversteer and stay completely away from the gas pedal till I get control back.

Case in point from a vid I made of D3 recently...

https://youtu.be/JnLwHzqVBS8

Around 1:05 - 1:15 I go a car width off track and launch it back onto the track and carry on regardless, Dirt Rally would probably launch the rear end and plow the nose into the deck with a hit like that.

@1:35 I hit a little depression in the embankment on the inside of the corner, no bigge that side of the car rises and falls the wheels stay planted on the ground... Dirt Rally would either throw you completely offline to the other side of the track or, maybe put you on 2 wheels.

Best of all @ 3:05 I hit the inside of the final corner at stupid speed put the car on 2 wheels and carry on regardless, Dirt Rally? Multiple Barrel roll at LEAST if not a DNF.

It's almost like in D3 the cars are magnetically attracted back to earth.

Off course the big problem is we're trying to compare an arcade game to as close to a sim as I've seen since Richard Burns Rally and I only ever played the demo of that it was so hard... Chalk and Cheese....

We must have played different dirt 3's.

But if Dirt rally is worse in that aspect, then I guess I'm not interested. In some areas it makes sense, but if its just random spots or areas that are flat, like dirt 3. Then to hell with that. Ill leave it to the fanboys. 

There aren't that many flat spots as the surfaces are mostly undulating with a few potholes, ditches, slumps at the side of the road above a 45 degree (or worse) slopes, off camber corners, tyre ruts, boulders, larger stones, bushes leaning over the track, and it's not random spots either, this game requires you to be careful or you'll make a massive mistake.

Get it right though and by [Insert Deity Here] it's fun.

Thing is though if you love rally, you'll enjoy the game frustration and all. You just start slow and learn the games handling characteristics same as every other game...

Plus you should see the replays when you DO get it wrong big style and kill the car :)