DiRT Rally 2.0: VR FAQ & Performance Guide

Question

Hello everyone.

Please see below for answers to common questions surrounding VR support for DiRT Rally 2.0, along with a guide to help players improve the feature's performance on their system.

Frequently-Asked Questions

DR2_Ford_FiestaRXMK8_Oculus-(2).jpg

Is DiRT Rally 2.0 the same on Steam and Oculus?

• DiRT Rally 2.0 on the Oculus Store stand-alone version of the game, and is not included with purchase of the game on Steam.
  • The Oculus version provides native support to Oculus devices through the Oculus SDK.
  • The Steam version uses the SteamVR platform to support VR devices.

Can I play with Steam players while using the Oculus version, and vice-versa?

• All versions of DiRT Rally 2.0 provide support for cross-platform asynchronus play (which players can opt out of in their game settings). 
  • This includes Leaderboards, Clubs and Community Challenges.
  • Synchronous (as in PvP) Multiplayer is platform-specific. Steam players cannot join Oculus Lobbies, Xbox players cannot join PlayStation Lobbies etc.

Does the Oculus version have DLC?

• The Oculus version contains the same base-game content as other platforms.
  • Post-release DLC content that was available on other platforms will come to Oculus at a later date.
  • Free content (like the DirtFish location and liveries) are available on Oculus at the same time as other platforms.

Does the Oculus version have exclusive content?

• A number of cars feature an exclusive, Oculus-themed livery on the Oculus version.
  • Additional Daily, Weekly and Monthly Community Challenges are available in My Team, exclusive to Oculus players.

Will VR come to PlayStation?

• There are no plans to implement PlayStation VR support for DiRT Rally 2.0.

Recommended Settings
DR2_Opel_Adam_DirtFish-(3).JPG

Based on our tests, these are the settings we recommend to give the best performance boost:

• Ambient Occlusion: Off
  • Ground Cover: Off
  • Shader: Low
  • Screenspace Reflections: Off
  • Anti-Aliasing: Off

Initial Performance (graphics preset; Medium):

• 60-67 FPS

Results after Recommended Settings:

• Over 90 FPS+ - Medium graphics preset plus all of the above changes.
  • Slightly under 90FPS - Medium graphics preset plus all of the above changes, Shader Detail on High

For reference, here was our PC build with which we tested each setting:

• GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k, 4.0 GHz
  • Version: Steam (using Oculus headset)

Depending on your hardware, PC build & peripherals, and their settings, performance may differ so please experiment with these settings until you find what works best for you.

Conclusions
DR2_Opel_Adam_DirtFish-(1).JPG

These are what we consider high performance savers. Lowering these settings will significantly increase performance (in order of impact):

• Shaders: Low
  • Anti-Aliasing: Off/CMAA 
  • Crowds: Low/Off
  • Ambient Occlusion off
  • Trees, Bloom, Light Streaks, Godrays (These help a lot in areas dense with trees)
  • Shadows: Off (or as low as possible)
  • Ground Cover: Off
  • Screenspace Reflections: Off, lower overall reflections settings too will help.

We recommend not using Multisampling (or lower values), it is costly in VR.
Supersampling methods from SteamVR would be more beneficial if you can run them.

These are low performance savers and won't make much difference if you're using them under Medium, but lowering them all may save a few frames:

• Vehicle Details (Note: Ultra Low removes drivers and other elements, so use it if nothing else is working for you)
  • Texture Detail
  • Track
  • Night Lighting
  • Objects
  • Chromatic Aberration,  Lens Dust
  • Anisotropic Filtering (performance gain is negligible compared to High)

With our Recommended Settings and some minor tweaks, performance on Steam should be similar to that of Oculus.

We increased our framerate from 60-67 FPS up to 90 FPS+ with the Recommended Settings, using the GTX 1060 in our reference build.

If you have a higher-end graphics card you may be able get similar performance with Shader Details set to High and other settings on Low/Off.

So long as you don’t increase Multisampling, and ensure you play in Windowed Mode on a reasonable resolution, you should see notable performance gains.

VR gameplay will sync to 45 FPS if it drops below 90 FPS, so it's important to keep it the framerate high for a smooth experience.

Other Notes
DR2_Ford_Fiesta_RX_OMSE_DirtFish-(1).jpg

On Steam DiRT Rally 2.0 will try to run normal setting configs, typically in fullscreen on higher presets by default.

Fullscreen isn't recommended as it can cause issues with performance (upping resolution) and stretch UI elements. 

We're working on a fix for this in a future update; a workaround for now is to disable fullscreen in the hardware settings:

• C:\Users\ YOUR NAME HERE \Documents\My Games\DiRT Rally 2.0\hardwaresettings\hardware_settings_config.xml 
  • ‘ fullscreen="0” ‘
  • You can also change the resolution here; another quick way is to change these settings in the flatscreen mode before going into VR.

Incase you didn't know, in the Gameplay settings (which can also be accessed via the pause menu) there is a tab for VR Comfort.

This contains options for the following:

• Enable all Views
  • Enable Right Stick Camera Control
  • Enable Looking Back
  • Enable Locked Orientation
  • Enable Motion Blur
  • Full View During Crashes

Known Issues

DR2_BMW_M3_DirtFish.JPG

The following is a (non-exhaustive) list of known issues with VR:

• 4x MSAA and higher, combined with Shader Detail set to Low, causing outline effect on trees.
  • Ambient Occlusion set to Low causing shadowy effects on nearby objects.
  • DiRT Rally 2.0 automatically running in VR mode if you have any VR peripherals (including sensors) connected while SteamVR is installed.
    (This is set to be resolved in version 1.8)
  • Vive HMD resets position slightly behind head.
  • Text being hard to read in SteamVR Pause screens. 

There are more known issues than this, however many are too minor to post here. As always the team is actively reading the forums to see how you're all getting on with the game.

DR2_Oculus_Photo_3.jpg

DR2_Subaru_WRX_NR4-(1).JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Not having a remappable Center view button is a HUGE issue in VR. Please add it to the priority. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

This is incredibly disappointing news, and a spit in the face to everyone who supports Codemasters and the Dirt Rally series.

If the Oculus API isn't going to be supported in the Steam version, the right thing to do would be to provide folks who purchased the game with an Oculus Key. Knowind Codies' history, I doubt that will happen.

Shame it's too late for me to refund the game - the only reason a lot of people bought it was the promise of VR support.

• Agree 7

Now test the same setup in the oculus store version and share the results.

To be clear, it's not a problem to not have the oculus api on the steam version, the problem is that there apparently is a huge difference in framerate in these 2 versions. This need to be tested and we need to know if the team is looking into it if there is a difference.

• Agree 1

hate too say this. but this is the reason games get review bombed out of existence! already noticed both on the steam reviews people are changing their reviews of the game from positive too negative. this game could go the opposite of no mans sky! 

• Agree 3

Posted (edited)

As a Rift owner who waited for VR (my wheel setup is on the other side of the room from my monitor) it's still pretty disappointing. The Steam version sounds like a bad buy due to the lack of Oculus SDK support, and the lack of transparency for Rift owners who bought the Steam version is disheartening. On the other side, the Oculus store version is currently twice as expensive, has DLC coming 'in the future' (which hopefully means on 8/27 they will drop the 'Super Deluxe' version) and will have a fraction of the player base for rallycross multiplayer (which constitutes most of Season 4 content), not to mention the Oculus store's generally poor track record of support. 

The Oculus funding obviously prevents you from commenting publicly on this or officially supporting it, but it would be really cool if a future update of the Steam version was compiled to support dragging and dropping the Oculus SDK .dll  🙂 

Edited by ortazel
  • Agree 4

Is DiRT Rally 2.0 the same on Steam and Oculus?

• The Oculus release is a separate version of the game and is not included with purchase of the Steam version.
  • The Oculus version provides native support to Oculus devices through the Oculus SDK.

Will the Steam version eventually provide native support through the Oculus SDK? Maybe with a update?

I guess we should know that at least, is it planned?

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, Romkslrqusz said:

This is incredibly disappointing news, and a spit in the face to everyone who supports Codemasters and the Dirt Rally series.

If the Oculus API isn't going to be supported in the Steam version, the right thing to do would be to provide folks who purchased the game with an Oculus Key. Knowind Codies' history, I doubt that will happen.

Shame it's too late for me to refund the game - the only reason a lot of people bought it was the promise of VR support.

Too late to refund, stuck with VR version and terrible performance. Getting a Oculus key would be nice, but i'm not expecting anything nice coming from Codemasters after this shady VR move. 

Hey Codies, I feel gutted because back when you were touting the game excitedly as "VR is Coming",  all of us who are VR users were so happy, including those of us with Oculus headsets.  But you failed to mention that only the Oculus Store version would support the Oculus SDK and this is why your Oculus supporters are so upset. Oculus also is to blame.

Because it is a fair expectation, based on all other Steam VR sim racing titles, that you would include full Oculus support in the Steam version and you didn't tell us otherwise, even though you must have known.  Dirt Rally original was great, like many I bought in early access, and the Oculus SDK was supported so it ran beautifully, why should we not expect the same now ? 

It feels like a huge betrayal. We supported your VR announcement by purchasing in good faith on Steam even though we only wished to race in VR. Of course if Oculus HMD owners knew all this back then we would have saved our money and waited for the VR release. Pretty disappointing and actually dishonest of you really.

• Agree 5

26 minutes ago, Dehh said:

Is DiRT Rally 2.0 the same on Steam and Oculus?

• The Oculus release is a separate version of the game and is not included with purchase of the Steam version.

Will the Steam version eventually provide native support through the Oculus SDK? Maybe with a update?

I guess we should know that at least, is it planned?

It's pretty obvious that it's not, seeing as he's been skirting around the issue for the last week, never once giving a definitive answer, only that Steam and Oculus version are different.

• Agree 1

there is no reason why the oculus version and steam version should have such vastly different performance. if you do not acknoweledge it as a bug then you are making it clear to us you and oculus are working together to scam us out of our money. we paid for the vr version and we expect to get it. native steam vr/ open vr support should work better than the oculus sdk going through revive, but this is not the case here.... so even if you do not fix the steam version which you have either intentionally gimped or you are just half assing it and don't know what you are doing... but even if you leave the steam version (open vr) broken. then at least allow steam users to access the oculus api version of the game. in my case I have wmr but I could then use revive to get it working. which is what I expected to have to do. at first the inclusion of native open vr support seemed like a nice surprise to me. but now that its clear this is a very very flawed version I would much prefer to be running the oculus sdk through revive. I bought this game just for vr. I have waited almost a year for it to be implemented. I have sat through your shady business practices with all the dlc instead of finishing/ fixing the actual game. I have accepted the silly always online stuff. but now as well as giving us a game you label as a sim racer but with such poorly implemented force feedback and vr support that it might as well be a forza horizon game... I am not happy. fix the vr versoin. I don't care how long it takes. I can wait. I just need you to know you are going to. otherwise someone in trigger happy America that loves to sue should bloody well sue you.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, IlmarsM said:

For once I'm happy with current VR implementation because the original Dirt Rally had ONLY Oculus support, now there is proper support for all VR owners. And why you Oculus owners feel so betrayed - you played the game already for months, and now can play it in VR. No one is stopping you.

And I'm sure that this is Oculus decision not to allow Oculus SDK in Steam version.

they may not have played. they may have been like me and bought it on sale or to encourage/ fund its development under the promise that vr support will be added. and they were DEFINITLY promised proper vr support. oculus users above all else had no reason to believe they would not be getting reliable full vr support. this is a very cheeky and underhanded thing for oculus and codemasters to do. borderline illegal if you were to ask me.

8 hours ago, RogerRamjet77 said:

Hey Codies, I feel gutted because back when you were touting the game excitedly as "VR is Coming",  all of us who are VR users were so happy, including those of us with Oculus headsets.  But you failed to mention that only the Oculus Store version would support the Oculus SDK and this is why your Oculus supporters are so upset. Oculus also is to blame.

Because it is a fair expectation, based on all other Steam VR sim racing titles, that you would include full Oculus support in the Steam version and you didn't tell us otherwise, even though you must have known.  Dirt Rally original was great, like many I bought in early access, and the Oculus SDK was supported so it ran beautifully, why should we not expect the same now ? 

It feels like a huge betrayal. We supported your VR announcement by purchasing in good faith on Steam even though we only wished to race in VR. Of course if Oculus HMD owners knew all this back then we would have saved our money and waited for the VR release. Pretty disappointing and actually dishonest of you really.

it is false advertising and borderline illegal for them to do this.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Killso2 said:

Now test the same setup in the oculus store version and share the results.

To be clear, it's not a problem to not have the oculus api on the steam version, the problem is that there apparently is a huge difference in framerate in these 2 versions. This need to be tested and we need to know if the team is looking into it if there is a difference.

exactly. there should be next to no difference in performance between oculus api and open vr. headsets are not that different from one another. just two screens and come accelerometers etc. they are essentially identical. they should have not reason to perform different. especially if there is native support. but I suspect even if I were to test open vr version on wmr device vs oculus version going through revive on wmr device the oculus would perform twice as well. which means either something is very wrong and codemasters could fix it. technically it shouldn't even take them long. OR they have deliberately crippled the steam version to make you buy the oculus version. VERY shady business practice. I cant believe this company. at every single turn they take shortcuts and make shady business decisions to shoot themselves in the foot. I loved original dirt rally and I want to support the company that made/ makes these games. but this company just doesn't seem honest lately. and I hate dishonesty. 

they could have had it all... if it had released with good ffb. not out of this world or anything. im not asking much. just AS good as the original dirt rally or any other sim racing game you care to name. so in other words. just the average, standard quality of ffb was all I ask... and if they had released with functioning vr. all they would have had was positive reviews on steam. stellar reviews. the game would be raking in the money. 

they had a second chance with the vr release. most if not all of the negative reviews would have been changed to positive. instead. they release a broken vr version and play dumb pretending they don't know why its not working right and that its just a limitation of steam vr/ the oculus versoin is better. ignoring all the oculus users that paid for this game on the promise specifically of oculus support. only to find they don't get it. very shady. instead of all the reviews turning to positive I would not be at all surprised if they all turned to negative. 

should have bug tested vr more and released when it is actually working. I could have waited a couple more weeks. or even months if I had to.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, IlmarsM said:

For once I'm happy with current VR implementation because the original Dirt Rally had ONLY Oculus support, now there is proper support for all VR owners. And why you Oculus owners feel so betrayed - you played the game already for months, and now can play it in VR. No one is stopping you.

And I'm sure that this is Oculus decision not to allow Oculus SDK in Steam version.

you don't get it, the problem is not to not have the native oculus support on steam, the problem is that there apparently is a difference in framerate in both versions. This is a problem not only for oculus owners as they can feel scammed for buying the steam version while the oculus one runs much better ( apparently ), but it's also a problem for literally everyone buying the game on steam with a vr headset. There should be almost no differences in framerate in both versions, that's not acceptable and should be looked into it.

Of coures, the simple solution would be to be able to run natively the oculus, but I don't think it's the correct solution, we all should get the same performance regardless on the platform we choose to buy the game.

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)

This is an absolutely disgraceful move from codemasters! I bought the Deluxe Edition on release with the promise of Oculus support and didn't play the game till VR was released and now i'm stuck with an inferior ****** steam VR version! if they don't add proper Oculus support or give us an Oculus key I'm done with Codemasters! this is the final straw!!

Edited by wulliebhoy

I am glad to have VR and certain the actual devs of this great Rally Sim aare working their best to implement it nicely for everyone, for that huge thanks to them for all their effort. :classic_love::classic_rolleyes:

But I find it hard to trust Codemasters the company and those managers divorced and remote from the customers who make purely business decisions like this that have such an impact on the enjoyment of what is a rather superb Rally Sim. Oculus would also have huge influence on how this unfolded.

Still there is time to make it right and I will wish for that as surely it can only get better ? ! :classic_cool:

Im running this game on PC with a i7 9700k, 1080ti and 32 gigs of ram and an oculus VR. Even with the reccommended settings that supposedly run good on a 1060 I am still getting a frame drop every 3 to 5 seconds. I have about 40 to 50% of headroom according to oculus debug performance monitor and it will still drop from 90 fps to about 50 fps every few seconds. There is something wrong and it's not a graphics setting. 

• Agree 3

Posted (edited)

Codemasters, suggesting that lowering graphical solutions to PS2 level fidelity to deal with performance issues is not an acceptable solution. Especially given that:

• Other games where VR was added after release didn't have these type of issues (including the original Dirt Rally).
  • You have a better performing version for Rift owners, but you've not released it on Steam (where ALL you previous PC sales have occurred to date), instead you've made it exclusive to the Oculus store.

Given that your support roadmap is not being perceived as being honest and transparent, your actions to date have given birth to the following perception in the community:

1. Customers feel lied to and abandoned on the Steam platform. The promise that VR would be released to existing STEAM customers didn't come with a caveat that the experience would be sub-par, and that a better performing version of the game for Rift owners would only be available for those wishing to repurchase the game on the Oculus Store.
  2. You are still selling Dirt Rally 2.0 on steam touting VR support without explaining to Rift owners that it's technically inferior to the Oculus version. At best, it's a form of mis-selling. Although refunds can be processed by Steam, they can only do that if the keys were purchased directly from them, rather than via an authorised e-tailer (e.g. GreenManGaming). And many I suspect purchased the game ages ago trusting what you had promised, only to find their trust misplaced and are now outside of the refund window.
  3. Worse than all of this, you have used up a lot of the goodwill you had built up in the community. People will remember that Dirt Rally was launched and supported without the need to pay for additional DLC, and VR support was a great experience. The same can't be said for Dirt Rally 2.0. Additional content has to be paid for, Rift owners have to either make do with a sub-standard VR version of the game on Steam or have to re-purchase the Oculus Store version. Will the community trust you in any future titles that you release? (I couldn't help myself and complain about DLC, sorry)

Will this impact the community trust in any future Codemaster games? As a die-hard Codemasters fan I want you to succeed so you can keep making games I want to buy, but are there enough of us out there to sustain your sales expectations? So I do hope you rethink your strategy on how to resolve these issues. Mistakes do happen, it's what you do (or not do) after the mistakes have been made that people will remember.

Edited by KojakWeb
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 6

Purchased this game on Steam to show my support for the VR finally being added and it turns out it runs like **** on the Rift. 
It runs that bad it made me feel sick and I've never felt sick from VR till today.

One Google search later and I find out it's because CM has two different versions of the bloody game for two different marketplaces, uncool CM very uncool once again you screw over the people who want to support you.
Well needless to say my copy of the game is being refunded, I won't be purchasing it the Oculus store as I won't be forced into buying it from one specific place simply to get the performance that should be available on all versions of the game and I'm done with your bullsh*t. 
I know I'm only one person but I won't be supporting any of your games again going forward, I'm done with Codemasters and the couldn't care less about the consumer attitude they have.

• Haha 1

Ok chaps I bought dirt 2.0 on steam and it ran like dogs do do so I bought the oculus version and wow what a major improvement. I did however still had a slight stutter every 2-3 seconds. I managed to fix this problem by unplugging one of my HID controllers whilst in the game. Now it runs butterly smooth but what I have not tried yet is to do the same thing with the steam version as I had to uninstall it from my SSD to make more room. Can anyone here try it on these steam version to see if it helps at all?

• Thanks 1

On 8/14/2019 at 8:45 AM, IlmarsM said:

I cant speak for others, but I am unhappy because its known that OculusVR and SteamVR do not always work that well together. Its using 2 different VR systems in order to just run a single application in VR for rift owners. What should have been done, is adding OculusVR and OpenVR to steam, then giving the end user the option on which SDK to run when starting the game. That simple addition would mean Oculus owners only need to run with the Oculus systems running, and not with SteamVR also running alongside it.
Think of it how non rift owners have to use something like revive to run apps from the Oculus store.

I am also unhappy because Codemasters should have been transperant that the steam version of the game wouldnt run on the Oculus SDK like Dirt Rally 1 did, and that the only native Oculus version would be via the Oculus store. Basically, they kept quiet and allowed people to purchase on steam at release in good faith that the Oculus SDK would be supported via steam. There was never any mention publicly over steam only running in openVR, till the day they dropped the VR update.

@PJTierney Ive not seen any mention of SteamVR automatically increasing the per eye resolution of HMD's yet. Any chance you could pop that in as something to be checked while setting up for VR on steam?
It causes a significant drain on performance when raised too high.

Rift CV1 is at 1080x1200 per eye resolution, as an example. SteamVR on my end set it to 1624x1940 per eye by default.

dde9t56-674cc5a1-c3f3-417a-a8e6-60d3412a
dde9t44-5cb657b3-c38a-47ae-aa26-ab0046b3

Such a shame! Tried several settings on Steam version with 7600K @5Ghz, 1080Ti , 16Mb Ram 3200Mhz but it works really poor. 

Unmatch audio with video and it seems speed of car is very low than reality also at full throttle 6th gear...

And now Codie told us Oculus version works better?

I’m agree with people asked to fix the bug or give a free oculus key!

Such a shame no official reply from Codemasters... 

Supporters and early adopter like us the wait so long for VR support need to know if a REAL solution will be delivered or not

Thanks

For me with SteamVR (WMR Lenovo), I turned preset to medium then turned ambient occlusion, godrays and bloom off and turned crowd and reflections down and most of the others left at medium and the game runs pretty smooth.  I can't bear the thought of running with ground cover off and shaders low, that makes the game look outdated but if it's going to help performance.

• Agree 1

Thank you for the settings.

Getting it to run smoothly on my Lenovo Explorer has been about experimentation, but I've got it going ok. 

I'm disappointed that I paid full price as soon as I heard VR was in, and days later it's 50% off! Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

Posted (edited)

Codemasters, you have lied to and screwed Oculus customers.

If you cannot provide a version of the game that users both Steam/OpenVR and the Oculus API, then at the very least, you guys are incompitent.

THERE IS A SOLUTION

It woudn't take much in terms of deployment to give us beta opt-in option to get the oculus api version of this game out to steam clients.  But you won't implement it.  WHY?

There is either pressure from Oculus to sit on this quietly until they recoup their money for funding the VR port, or you guys are trying to recoup costs by selling the Oculus version at inflated costs with less content.

It is not in your interest to fix this issue.  We see that.

Edited by Hicks613
spelling.
  • Agree 1