DiRT Rally 2.0: VR FAQ & Performance Guide

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, totho1504 said:

3. Head position in VR: The head position must be freely adjustable! In the Ford Ecort you look the driver dummy in the throat, because the head position is too far back.

There is an option already to move the head. From what I noticed it may differ from car to car, but I succeeded to set my heat in place so far in every car I tried. The option is called seat position (or something) while in fact it moves virtual head. But it does the job.

TBH I would like to have a head positioned on the neck after VR reset, and then to be able to move a seat (whole driver model incl. VR head). But what is now is satisfying I think.

Edited by MaXyMsrpl

Posted (edited)

Codemasters, suggesting that lowering graphical solutions to PS2 level fidelity to deal with performance issues is not an acceptable solution. Especially given that:

• Other games where VR was added after release didn't have these type of issues (including the original Dirt Rally).
  • You have a better performing version for Rift owners, but you've not released it on Steam (where ALL you previous PC sales have occurred to date), instead you've made it exclusive to the Oculus store.

Given that your support roadmap is not being perceived as being honest and transparent, your actions to date have given birth to the following perception in the community:

1. Customers feel lied to and abandoned on the Steam platform. The promise that VR would be released to existing STEAM customers didn't come with a caveat that the experience would be sub-par, and that a better performing version of the game for Rift owners would only be available for those wishing to repurchase the game on the Oculus Store.
  2. You are still selling Dirt Rally 2.0 on steam touting VR support without explaining to Rift owners that it's technically inferior to the Oculus version. At best, it's a form of mis-selling. Although refunds can be processed by Steam, they can only do that if the keys were purchased directly from them, rather than via an authorised e-tailer (e.g. GreenManGaming). And many I suspect purchased the game ages ago trusting what you had promised, only to find their trust misplaced and are now outside of the refund window.
  3. Worse than all of this, you have used up a lot of the goodwill you had built up in the community. People will remember that Dirt Rally was launched and supported without the need to pay for additional DLC, and VR support was a great experience. The same can't be said for Dirt Rally 2.0. Additional content has to be paid for, Rift owners have to either make do with a sub-standard VR version of the game on Steam or have to re-purchase the Oculus Store version. Will the community trust you in any future titles that you release? (I couldn't help myself and complain about DLC, sorry)

Will this impact the community trust in any future Codemaster games? As a die-hard Codemasters fan I want you to succeed so you can keep making games I want to buy, but are there enough of us out there to sustain your sales expectations? So I do hope you rethink your strategy on how to resolve these issues. Mistakes do happen, it's what you do (or not do) after the mistakes have been made that people will remember.

Edited by KojakWeb
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 7

Purchased this game on Steam to show my support for the VR finally being added and it turns out it runs like **** on the Rift. 
It runs that bad it made me feel sick and I've never felt sick from VR till today.

One Google search later and I find out it's because CM has two different versions of the bloody game for two different marketplaces, uncool CM very uncool once again you screw over the people who want to support you.
Well needless to say my copy of the game is being refunded, I won't be purchasing it the Oculus store as I won't be forced into buying it from one specific place simply to get the performance that should be available on all versions of the game and I'm done with your bullsh*t. 
I know I'm only one person but I won't be supporting any of your games again going forward, I'm done with Codemasters and the couldn't care less about the consumer attitude they have.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Something is very wrong with the VR mode. The speed and the sound do not match. :-(

When driving in 6. gear i feel and see i only drive max 80 km/t.  And that is very bad.

You can hear the revs go up fast but the feeling of the speed do not goes up.

Before introducing VR the speed feels like the actual speed you are driving. Very fun.

But now it is unplayable. :-(

By the way. When driving on estering and in a audi the speed feeling and the sound match. !!

Ok chaps I bought dirt 2.0 on steam and it ran like dogs do do so I bought the oculus version and wow what a major improvement. I did however still had a slight stutter every 2-3 seconds. I managed to fix this problem by unplugging one of my HID controllers whilst in the game. Now it runs butterly smooth but what I have not tried yet is to do the same thing with the steam version as I had to uninstall it from my SSD to make more room. Can anyone here try it on these steam version to see if it helps at all?

• Thanks 1

Codemaster and oculus, you take hostage thousands of players, just for a .dll of some byte.
You are disappointing players who all legally buy your game.

• Agree 1

So after trying literally all possible combinations and taking this guide into consideration I believe there is a tracking issue with the Rift S.  Maybe drivers are to blame but it doesnt make much difference to my framerate having low or high settings. 

GTX 1080ti

i5 7600k

16gb DDR4 3200

If I keep my head still I can pretty much run all high bar blending, adv ambient occl, screenspace reflections an no AA. It is smooth as butter 75-80fps. As soon as I move my head all hell breaks loose. Had these issues with DR 1.0 and by the end Codies had sorted pretty much all bugs (ahem, continued controller support???) and the game also ran like butter all maxed out.

What I'm tryin to say is I'm sure they are aware without feeding themselves to the pack of hounds we are and a fix is in the works.

What can I say, with all effects on the Wales tracks especially through the wooded areas and that bloom and rain looks sooooo good in VR. Cannot wait for Codies to perfect it!!

Posted (edited)

So DR2.0 is an inferior piece of work. I just ran a bunch of monitoring tools and lowered ALL graphical settings to their ABSOLUTE MINIMUM.

My liquid cooled gtx 1080ti hybrid was barely 40% utilized.  The game stutters every few seconds.  The only activity that spikes is lan activity.  No disk activity on my SSD's.  minimal amount of ram used out of my 32g.  CPU is cruising in the low 30%.   what a piece of ****.

So i tested this game from my steam account again on another pc.  i7 9700k.   gtx 2080.  My rift, my steam account.  Same piece of **** behaviour.

My friend purchased the oculus version, saw how well it ran, then refunded it. WE NOT GOING TO BUY THIS GAME TWICE.

FIX IT PJ, you fcuking thieving cnut.

Edited by Hicks613
clarification that codemosters are a bag of dicheds
  • Agree 1

@Codemasters - are you going to include the Oculus SDK in the Steam version?  I and many others have seen that it clearly outperforms the SteamVR implementation.  Many other games on Steam include the Oculus SDK, so there's no technical reason not to.  You're aware of antitrust laws I assume?

• Agree 1

On 8/14/2019 at 8:45 AM, IlmarsM said:

For once I'm happy with current VR implementation because the original Dirt Rally had ONLY Oculus support, now there is proper support for all VR owners. And why you Oculus owners feel so betrayed - you played the game already for months, and now can play it in VR. No one is stopping you.

And I'm sure that this is Oculus decision not to allow Oculus SDK in Steam version.

I cant speak for others, but I am unhappy because its known that OculusVR and SteamVR do not always work that well together. Its using 2 different VR systems in order to just run a single application in VR for rift owners. What should have been done, is adding OculusVR and OpenVR to steam, then giving the end user the option on which SDK to run when starting the game. That simple addition would mean Oculus owners only need to run with the Oculus systems running, and not with SteamVR also running alongside it.
Think of it how non rift owners have to use something like revive to run apps from the Oculus store.

I am also unhappy because Codemasters should have been transperant that the steam version of the game wouldnt run on the Oculus SDK like Dirt Rally 1 did, and that the only native Oculus version would be via the Oculus store. Basically, they kept quiet and allowed people to purchase on steam at release in good faith that the Oculus SDK would be supported via steam. There was never any mention publicly over steam only running in openVR, till the day they dropped the VR update.

@PJTierney Ive not seen any mention of SteamVR automatically increasing the per eye resolution of HMD's yet. Any chance you could pop that in as something to be checked while setting up for VR on steam?
It causes a significant drain on performance when raised too high.

Rift CV1 is at 1080x1200 per eye resolution, as an example. SteamVR on my end set it to 1624x1940 per eye by default.

dde9t56-674cc5a1-c3f3-417a-a8e6-60d3412a
dde9t44-5cb657b3-c38a-47ae-aa26-ab0046b3

• Agree 1

Such a shame! Tried several settings on Steam version with 7600K @5Ghz, 1080Ti , 16Mb Ram 3200Mhz but it works really poor. 

Unmatch audio with video and it seems speed of car is very low than reality also at full throttle 6th gear...

And now Codie told us Oculus version works better?

I’m agree with people asked to fix the bug or give a free oculus key!

Such a shame no official reply from Codemasters... 

Supporters and early adopter like us the wait so long for VR support need to know if a REAL solution will be delivered or not

Thanks

• Agree 1

Runs good for me, at least in VR it seems smooth but when monitoring frametime it tells me that it's dropping to roughly 70fps (still acceptable) when driving through shadows.  So shadows seems to be the culprit, really don't want to turn off shadows and low shaders looks disgusting.  As you can see around 0:55 in this video that frametime floats around +14ms when driving through a bunch of trees.

On 8/18/2019 at 5:27 AM, Ialyrn said:

I cant speak for others, but I am unhappy because its known that OculusVR and SteamVR do not always work that well together. Its using 2 different VR systems in order to just run a single application in VR for rift owners. What should have been done, is adding OculusVR and OpenVR to steam, then giving the end user the option on which SDK to run when starting the game. That simple addition would mean Oculus owners only need to run with the Oculus systems running, and not with SteamVR also running alongside it.
Think of it how non rift owners have to use something like revive to run apps from the Oculus store.

I am also unhappy because Codemasters should have been transperant that the steam version of the game wouldnt run on the Oculus SDK like Dirt Rally 1 did, and that the only native Oculus version would be via the Oculus store. Basically, they kept quiet and allowed people to purchase on steam at release in good faith that the Oculus SDK would be supported via steam. There was never any mention publicly over steam only running in openVR, till the day they dropped the VR update.

@PJTierney Ive not seen any mention of SteamVR automatically increasing the per eye resolution of HMD's yet. Any chance you could pop that in as something to be checked while setting up for VR on steam?
It causes a significant drain on performance when raised too high.

Rift CV1 is at 1080x1200 per eye resolution, as an example. SteamVR on my end set it to 1624x1940 per eye by default.

dde9t56-674cc5a1-c3f3-417a-a8e6-60d3412a
dde9t44-5cb657b3-c38a-47ae-aa26-ab0046b3

Good summary.

There are plenty of games that offer a choice when you fire them up from Steam: 2D, Steam VR or Oculus VR.

I‘m pretty sure the Oculus API is free to use for devs, so this shouldn’t be a major impost or cost to them to implement.

Regarding resolution, I noticed the same thing but I have a feeling that is the render resolution that the headset has to produce for a useable image at 1080x1200. My understanding is that VR over renders because the shape of the actual image required is quite warped in order to look normal through the fresnel lenses.

Having said that, the oculus on screen overlay you can turn on through OTT is telling me the image is 1.24 (from memory) super sampled by default so perhaps you’re right. Either way, even at 1.24x the performance is way under what it should be in openVR. 

Posted (edited)

Just registered to say I find it really sad to see how greed appears to be taking over the gaming industry these days.  I know gaming titles being console-specific is inevitable, but this baloney that Oculus and Codemasters keep feeding their loyal consumers simply isn't. 

Having said this, I'm glad that I waited instead of trusting in Codemasters' promise of bringing decent VR implementation to Dirt Rally 2.0, and after seeing the mess it has turned into, I have decided to never spend a single cent on this or any of their future games.

Besides, these disgraceful antics have persuaded me to just ditch my Oculus headset and never look back to any of their products as well.  It's not like there aren't better options anyway.  Dishonest moves like these might even relate to how both companies' products tend to go down in prices so shortly after their introduction.

Will only add that -harsh as it sounds- I'm not one to feel bad for them once they finally go out of business.

Edited by resumil
typo

On 8/20/2019 at 5:59 AM, JesseDeya said:

Regarding resolution, I noticed the same thing but I have a feeling that is the render resolution that the headset has to produce for a useable image at 1080x1200. My understanding is that VR over renders because the shape of the actual image required is quite warped in order to look normal through the fresnel lenses.

In SteamVR 100% set in both places: video and application results in native resolution needed by VR device.

Depending on your gfx card computing  power, steamvr sets up the ratio available in Video section. (User still can change it)

Then user can set the per-application ratio which is applied to resolution set in video section.

So, final resolution is the result of multiplication:

native_resolution * video_ratio * application_ratio

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)
On 8/16/2019 at 9:43 PM, nescafe37 said:

I managed to fix this problem by unplugging one of my HID controllers whilst in the game. Now it runs butterly smooth but what I have not tried yet is to do the same thing with the steam version as I had to uninstall it from my SSD to make more room. Can anyone here try it on these steam version to see if it helps at all?

This problem persists since v 1.0 and is not solved by now. In Steam it's the same and it was often reported. I reported it I think alone 10 times, also added VX Diag, Afterburner graphs but nothing has happened so far.
A work-a-round is to plug in a gamepad start the game unplug the gamepad ... but honestly it should have been solved latest with v 1.1

Left side frametime with the gamepad plugged in - right side gamepad plugged out:

DR2_framedrops_8_v1.7_VR.jpg.34043f0a82b7eb12f8719c7994b69882.jpg

BTW: If you don't plug in the gamepad before the start of the game the frametime and stutter has exactly the same problem (left side) but then you have something else to unplug like a shifter or so to get rid of the stutter. So it's not the device what's unplugged what is causing the problem, it's a problem from DR 2 and goes away if you unplug a HID device while the game is running.

Edited by Peter Mathen
  • Agree 1

Unfortunately refunded due to those stutters seems they are not able to fix it. 

When do you expect we will get an answer if native oculus support will be implemented? The game takes up around 75GB on my SSD and i want to know if im going to keep it installed or not. Bad news are better than no news in this case. Im also looking forward to what improvements the upcoming patch will give us this week aswell.

No performance improvements in the patch notes. I was buying into DR1 the first day it was available in early access and bought DR2 on the day of release. You just lost one (previously happy) customer with this ********.

Edited by somethingthing

ciao ragazzi ... con l'aggiornamento 1.8 sembra che le cose si siano sistemate un po '... ora lo sporco 2.0 può essere usato su vr ... ho riscontrato un problema ... non c'è modo di rimpicciolire lo schermo mentre Uso il vr ... rimane sempre pieno ... Mi sono assicurato di impostarlo dalla scrivania ma ora la configurazione ha 2 salvataggi ... configurazione della scrivania e configurazione vr .... Non riesco a cambiare lo schermo su vr ... qualcuno sai qualcosa?

Edited by Gielle

For F's sake Codies, give us the damn Oculus sdk version on Steam as we all paid for a proper working vr version. It is the right thing to do but can you do that or have you really turned into a scumbag EA clone ?   Also blocking off Season 1&2 for online events and rewards really is gutter tactics.  Where did it ever say our Deluxe version Season pass would expire ?  Where ? This is beyond a joke at this point and utterly bewildering.

In VR I use 2 monitors to see data and now the desktops are off center. 
I would also like the VR replay not to be viewed in movie mode to be able to record video.
Edited by zarmakko

On 8/16/2019 at 11:32 PM, Hicks613 said:

So DR2.0 is an inferior piece of work. I just ran a bunch of monitoring tools and lowered ALL graphical settings to their ABSOLUTE MINIMUM.

My liquid cooled gtx 1080ti hybrid was barely 40% utilized.  The game stutters every few seconds.  The only activity that spikes is lan activity.  No disk activity on my SSD's.  minimal amount of ram used out of my 32g.  CPU is cruising in the low 30%.   what a piece of ****.

So i tested this game from my steam account again on another pc.  i7 9700k.   gtx 2080.  My rift, my steam account.  Same piece of **** behaviour.

My friend purchased the oculus version, saw how well it ran, then refunded it. WE NOT GOING TO BUY THIS GAME TWICE.

FIX IT PJ, you fcuking thieving cnut.

Getting personal with a forum mod, brilliant...
Like yelling at a store clerk who just runs the register for the pricing. I blame Impetulant childish behavior like this for the reason it takes so long to get through to the developers.  No wonder it seems like so many complaints are ignored and why the back and forth feedback for specific issues has trailed off. 

On 8/23/2019 at 10:35 AM, MaXyMsrpl said:

In SteamVR 100% set in both places: video and application results in native resolution needed by VR device.

By default SteamVR applies 1.4 super sampling, when set to 100% resolution scale. That might cause some people to think Oculus API has better performance.

For those with performance issues, even though frame time are good (below 11.1ms for Hz displays) and with hardware expected to be capable of running DR2, can try the following settings on a 1080Ti/ 2070 Super or better:

nVidia 436.15, forced 8x AF without AF optimization

SteamVR Beta 1.7.14, rendering resolution at 2016x2240, Async reprojection off (by hitting shift+a in VR view of SteamVR)*

In-game settings:

2x AA, AF off

Select medium profile, change the following:

reflections: low

Textures: ultra

AO: low

Crowd: off

Cloth:low

mirrors: off

Chromatic aberration and light streaks: Replay

Lense dust: off

*This is a crucial setting, that was causing stuttering even though frame times were below 9ms, because reprojection constantly created synthesized frames without any actual need. Usually it will show you on screen if async reprojection is disabled, but it seems to be bugged in current SteamVR beta. However it should still show the current status in the lower left of SteamVR settings.

Do not disable async reprojection (and enable always-on reprojection in this way), if your computer is not capable of delivering the necessary Fps corresponding to your HMD's refresh rate. With this setting it is most important to leave your GPU some headroom (like 85%, don't load it to 100%) or you might see occasional stuttering.

Disclaimer: I have not tested these setting in all locations. Australia at night and Poland ran at about 9ms frame time. If I run into performance issues, I will probably disable AO or set ground cover to low.