Jump to content

DiRT Rally 2.0 - VR FAQ & Performance Guide

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, B1rdy said:

By default SteamVR applies 1.4 super sampling, when set to 100% resolution scale. That might cause some people to think Oculus API has better performance.

For those with performance issues, even though frame time are good (below 11.1ms for Hz displays) and with hardware expected to be capable of running DR2, can try the following settings on a 1080Ti/ 2070 Super or better:

nVidia 436.15, forced 8x AF without AF optimization

SteamVR Beta 1.7.14, rendering resolution at 2016x2240, Async reprojection off (by hitting shift+a in VR view of SteamVR)*

In-game settings:

2x AA, AF off

Select medium profile, change the following:

reflections: low

Textures: ultra

AO: low

Crowd: off

Cloth:low

mirrors: off

Chromatic aberration and light streaks: Replay

Lense dust: off

 

*This is a crucial setting, that was causing stuttering even though frame times were below 9ms, because reprojection constantly created synthesized frames without any actual need. Usually it will show you on screen if async reprojection is disabled, but it seems to be bugged in current SteamVR beta. However it should still show the current status in the lower left of SteamVR settings.

Do not disable async reprojection (and enable always-on reprojection in this way), if your computer is not capable of delivering the necessary Fps corresponding to your HMD's refresh rate. With this setting it is most important to leave your GPU some headroom (like 85%, don't load it to 100%) or you might see occasional stuttering.


Disclaimer: I have not tested these setting in all locations. Australia at night and Poland ran at about 9ms frame time. If I run into performance issues, I will probably disable AO or set ground cover to low.

On my cv1 it didnt look like 1.4 ss with 100%. So what am i supposed to set it to get 1.0?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


I am a user of Oculus Rift and I have not yet been able to start the Oculus, when I start the game dirt rally 2.0 I get two options, I press the second one that is the VR but I do not see anything in the oculus, I hear the sound but I do not image, instead I see on the PC monitor the image in a rectangle that moves when I turn my head, but in the oculus I see nothing.

Do you have to put some command to start this version in steam?

At the moment I have not written anything. We also don't know what to write in the boot properties of Dirt rally 2.0 on Steam.

Thank you very much for your help

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, somethingthing said:

On my cv1 it didnt look like 1.4 ss with 100%. So what am i supposed to set it to get 1.0?

In SteamVR you can set the res scale below 100% in order to achieve native resolution. In don't have an Oculus HMD, but I understand there is also Oculus try tool, which lets you set the resolution. Give it a try.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, B1rdy said:

In SteamVR you can set the res scale below 100% in order to achieve native resolution. In don't have an Oculus HMD, but I understand there is also Oculus try tool, which lets you set the resolution. Give it a try.

I see. In steamVR i have the scale to 100%. I thought u meant that 100% would give 1.4 ss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, somethingthing said:

I see. In steamVR i have the scale to 100%. I thought u meant that 100% would give 1.4 ss.

Yes, you are correct. I probably did not make myself clear before. So you need to go below 100% to achieve native res.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, B1rdy said:

Yes, you are correct. I probably did not make myself clear before. So you need to go below 100% to achieve native res.

The rift is 1080x1200 per eye and if i want to get as close at possible as that in steamvr i have to set it to 46% which gives me 1100x1316 per eye and it doesnt look anywhere near the native resolution. Its like looking through a bottle of water.  😕

Edited by somethingthing
..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, somethingthing said:

The rift is 1080x1200 per eye and if i want to get as close at possible as that in steamvr i have to set it to 46% which gives me 1100x1316 per eye and it doesnt look anywhere near the native resolution. Its like looking through a bottle of water.  😕

Maybe there is both an up- and downsampling process, when setting it to 46%. If you install OpenVR AdvancedSettings or check the corresponding config in SteamVR directly, you will see, that SteamVR actually uses two multipliers. One that applies 1.4x super sampling universally and the other one, that can be adjusted though the regular menu. I am not sure it is wise to mess with both of those. Probably you can find information on the internet about that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2019 at 3:20 PM, somethingthing said:

The rift is 1080x1200 per eye and if i want to get as close at possible as that in steamvr i have to set it to 46% which gives me 1100x1316 per eye and it doesnt look anywhere near the native resolution. Its like looking through a bottle of water.

HMD's display native resolution is different than resolution of image rendered for further use in HMD. 100% in video settings translate into the native resolution. At least it's how it works for SteamVR devices.

Edited by MaXyMsrpl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2019 at 11:56 PM, B1rdy said:

Maybe there is both an up- and downsampling process, when setting it to 46%. If you install OpenVR AdvancedSettings or check the corresponding config in SteamVR directly, you will see, that SteamVR actually uses two multipliers. One that applies 1.4x super sampling universally and the other one, that can be adjusted though the regular menu. I am not sure it is wise to mess with both of those. Probably you can find information on the internet about that.

Steam VR has two, one for all apps and then an override that works on a Per-app basis, I'm not sure it really matters however if you change both, as long as you pay attention to the final application resolution:

 

SteamVRRender1.png

SteamVRRender2.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

please remember: application SS setting does not override global one.

Those both setting are multiplied. If you set 200% and 50% you get resolution equal to 100%

Edited by MaXyMsrpl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What else to say, apart from bitter and disappointed I feel stupid, I bought it as soon as it came out, I waited until the VR update, I read all his reports, more and more annoying release for my oculus, buying every dlc that came out and these badly born come out with this ridiculous argument full of talk ........

Assetto Corsa, Assetto Competizione, Iracing, Lfs, Pc2, even the old dear I have unsurpassed RBR can now be used with VR without any problem .. !! and these are going round and round as if they were inept participants in the matter ... x God .. !!!

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

17th of September and still nothing. No news, no updates, no answers from Codemasters. What a shame really never saw a company screwing up its customers so bad like Codemasters. 

We dont even know if/when the Oculus version will finally get the DLCs. 

Codemasters does not answer any question whatsoever. 

The Oculus users are in this awful situation:

- People that bought the game on Steam cannot play it because it is a stuttering awful mess that makes you sick in seconds.
- People that bought the game on the Oculus Store cannot have the DLCs and cannot compete in the world series. 

Nice **** situation. Thank you Walletmasters !

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, koog2003 said:

17th of September and still nothing. No news, no updates, no answers from Codemasters. What a shame really never saw a company screwing up its customers so bad like Codemasters. 

We dont even know if/when the Oculus version will finally get the DLCs. 

Codemasters does not answer any question whatsoever. 

The Oculus users are in this awful situation:

- People that bought the game on Steam cannot play it because it is a stuttering awful mess that makes you sick in seconds.
- People that bought the game on the Oculus Store cannot have the DLCs and cannot compete in the world series. 

Nice **** situation. Thank you Walletmasters ! 

a word about the situation would be nice indeed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, found setup works for me 1070ti, asw rarely (argentina) :
Everything low or off, cloth on.
2x MSAA,  Shader Detail set to Low, -trees dont see so strange , if you go 4x MSAA then trees strange.

Steam VR:
Supersampling  110%
Open SteamVR -> open settings -> go to Developer> unmark "Starts SteamVR when a VR application starts -> close SteamVR. It still launch SteamVR in start, but different way.  steam vr use less graphic resources.

DR2 custom settings, changes only in monitor:    documents>my game> dr2> hardwaresettings>  open hardware_settings_config _VR >  change resulutions to lowest  etc 640 x 480- use less graphic resources


it is not look good, most like ****, but performance good.

Edited by Fregis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Fregis said:

Hi, found setup works for me 1070ti, asw rarely (argentina) :
Everything low or off, cloth on.
2x MSAA,  Shader Detail set to Low, -trees dont see so strange , if you go 4x MSAA then trees strange.

Steam VR:
Supersampling  110%
Open SteamVR -> open settings -> go to Developer> unmark "Starts SteamVR when a VR application starts -> close SteamVR. It still launch SteamVR in start, but different way.  steam vr use less graphic resources.

DR2 custom settings, changes only in monitor:    documents>my game> dr2> hardwaresettings>  open hardware_settings_config _VR >  change resulutions to lowest  etc 640 x 480- use less graphic resources


it is not look good, but performance good.

It is not good, it is **** big time.

just exit game and throw in trashcan, spit on top of game as move of finish

thank you all, i love people

i hate dirt rally 2.0

going back to look for ***** in youtube

wish me luck

out and over

Edited by shredoshred

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to step in because the posts are now very emotional.

For sure there are bugs, my biggest issue is the moving world (just stop on track and look around, for me the world moves and that's a issue), the 2nd biggest issue is the lighting which is in the shadows way to dark, sometimes i can't see anything. 

On the other side, DR 2 has VR support and the image is clear, the cockpits are good incl. functional indicators and with the right settings there is no stutter. But I really would like it if I could move my seat more down, in most cars I scratch the roof. 

I disabled the Multisampling and Anisotropic filtering (just used fixed setting in Nvidia driver to my liking), set the graphic options and SteamVR SS that i can reach 90 fps with some headroom and so I'm really having a lot of fun. I used the performance information of SteamVR to be sure not going over 9 at night with rain so that the performance graph is completely green.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Peter Mathen said:

Just to step in because the posts are now very emotional.

For sure there are bugs, my biggest issue is the moving world (just stop on track and look around, for me the world moves and that's a issue), the 2nd biggest issue is the lighting which is in the shadows way to dark, sometimes i can't see anything. 

On the other side, DR 2 has VR support and the image is clear, the cockpits are good incl. functional indicators and with the right settings there is no stutter. But I really would like it if I could move my seat more down, in most cars I scratch the roof. 

I disabled the Multisampling and Anisotropic filtering (just used fixed setting in Nvidia driver to my liking), set the graphic options and SteamVR SS that i can reach 90 fps with some headroom and so I'm really having a lot of fun. I used the performance information of SteamVR to be sure not going over 9 at night with rain so that the performance graph is completely green.

Can you share your settings + gpu/cpu and which headset you use?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/20/2019 at 10:12 AM, somethingthing said:

Can you share your settings + gpu/cpu and which headset you use?

Sure, but the settings are mostly the same as already discussed in this thread.

  • CPU i9 / GPU 2080ti / HMD Valve Index with 2 x lighthouses
  • DirtFix 1.1 installed (I want to get rid of the HID USB stutter without this plug in and out of my DS4 controller routine)
  • SteamVR Setting Video 100%, per app for DR 2 150%
  • Nvidia driver: Anisotropic 16x
  • Basic graphics: Multisampling off, Anisotropic off / mirror screen 1280x720 windowed (I don't need it, because the mirror is to small and can't be used to dial in the settings -> only active if HMD on your head REALLY? I would like it if it was in DR 1)
  • Custom advanced settings based on Medium: Shader high, Texture high, Weather high, Crowd low, Cloth high, Mirrors low, Vehicle details high, Ground cover low, God rays replay, Chromatic abb. replay, Bloom off, Lens dust off
  • VR comfort: Motion blur off

As written above my biggest issue is the moving world. If I move the head slowly the world stays stable, but I move my head faster (left - right or up - down) the world is moving with my head movement. This is so weird, and it makes me feel motion sick and it's a real problem.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/21/2019 at 10:57 AM, Peter Mathen said:

If I move the head slowly the world stays stable, but I move my head faster (left - right or up - down) the world is moving with my head movement.

Exactly the same here - with nearly similar hardware...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@RichardMoll What exactly does this have to do with VR? Post seemed to be canceled

 

@odinsparken I did it yesterday - no change anyway.... the world is still jumping

Edited by Flens07

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PJTierney said:

 

Something in there for you all 😉 

Awesome! I cant wait to finally put my teeths into this game!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/17/2019 at 7:21 AM, koog2003 said:

- People that bought the game on Steam cannot play it because it is a stuttering awful mess that makes you sick in seconds.

I lasted about 30 seconds and then felt like vomiting. The stuttering is terrible. Makes it unplayable. Steam wont refund the purchase because I was stupid and bought it before VR support came out. I asked CodeMasters for an Oculus key but they don't seem to care because they just linked me to this forum. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Artago2000 said:

I lasted about 30 seconds and then felt like vomiting. The stuttering is terrible. Makes it unplayable. Steam wont refund the purchase because I was stupid and bought it before VR support came out. I asked CodeMasters for an Oculus key but they don't seem to care because they just linked me to this forum. 

@Artago2000 Oculus SDK support for Steam is finally coming 1st of October. 5 days more and you will be all set 🙂 I am in the same boat. Few days ago Codemasters confirmed officially the Oculus support is coming to Steam with version 1.9 that will be released the 1st of October 🙂

Edited by koog2003
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×