DiRT Rally 2.0 - VR FAQ & Performance Guide

7 minutes ago, SatchmoTK said:

The Oculus version of the game is the same - windowed showing both eyes ...[snip]

Oh, didn't know that. At least it's consistent I suppose! Yeah, hopefully they can sort it in future for both Oculus Store + Oculus-native on Steam then.

• Agree 1

Just getting into VR and couldn't understand why choosing to launch in Oculus mode just told me my headset is not recognized (might not be exact wording). Then saw all the stuff about having to run it in SteamVR mode so used that and have the same experiences people are complaining about here.

Reading this I see it should now work in Oculus mode?

Could this be because I'm using a Quest? I don't have a large VR library to test but some VR benchmark/demos I've tried work in both modes, Elite works fine in SteamVR mode and RBR works brilliantly....until I exit to menu when it crashes, which I'm sure I'll figure out.

Point is that so far the claim that anything that works with a Rift will work with a quest seems true apart from this one game. I guess anything using SteamVR doesn't know/care about specific headsets, just the spec whereas anything Oculus knows exactly what it is. 

Could it be as simple as adding Quest to a device list? 

On 12/6/2019 at 6:03 PM, SatchmoTK said:

I get a solid 80 frames with high shaders with my 2070 RTX and the game looks incredible.

Can you share your graphics settings? I have a 3700X + 2070 super setup, and I'm stuck with mixed low and medium settings IIRC.

"VR gameplay will sync to 45 FPS if it drops below 90 FPS, so it's important to keep it the framerate high for a smooth experience."

What does that mean for Oculus users? The Rift S runs at 80fps, the Quest at 72. Does that mean they'll always be dropped to 45? Or is it that they need to be generating 90, even if not displayed, which is a waste and would run less smoothly anyway?

Also, the comment about running at a reasonable resolution? There isn't an option in game (when in VR mode). I know there's a setting in the hardware config file but not sure if it works as I think. Guess I could set a stupid value and see if it looks much different?

Im very happy with 45 fps in dr2 and it feels very smooth. Im not sure exactly what it is because in other racing titles it makes me feel sick. Best thing ever to being able to bump up graphics settings and supersampling this high!

Edited by somethingthing
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Smithers1968 said:

"VR gameplay will sync to 45 FPS if it drops below 90 FPS, so it's important to keep it the framerate high for a smooth experience."

What does that mean for Oculus users? The Rift S runs at 80fps, the Quest at 72. Does that mean they'll always be dropped to 45? Or is it that they need to be generating 90, even if not displayed, which is a waste and would run less smoothly anyway?

Also, the comment about running at a reasonable resolution? There isn't an option in game (when in VR mode). I know there's a setting in the hardware config file but not sure if it works as I think. Guess I could set a stupid value and see if it looks much different?

"VR gameplay will sync to 45 FPS if it drops below 90 FPS" is only for HMD with 90Hz, like Oculus Rift CV1, HTC Vive, etc. In Oculus Rift S is 80Hz son with ASW fps go to 40fps (not 45).

And in DR2, ASW is great. You won't see artifacts (only a few when you are stopped). So I prefer to maximize my rendering preferences and activate ASW to run always at 40fps.

NOTE: In another HMDs, ASW similar methods, like "reproyection" maybe is worse. I've tested it in a HP Reverb (to use 45fps) and reproyection artifacts are more visible.

About resolution... you can't change resolution in game. You can do it outside. With Oculus, you can change supersampling with Oculus Debug Tool or, better, with Oculus Tray Tool (OTT). I let a table with resolution vs. supersampling relationships:

S.S.    Resolución Rift    Resolución Rift S
0.7                               1168x1248
0.8      1080x1200          1328x1424    (aprox. native resolution)
0.9                               1488x1600
1         1344x1600          1648x1776    (you won't to put SS under this point)
1.4                               2320x2480
1.5      2016x2400          2480x2656
1.6                               2640x2848
1.7      2285x2720          2816x3024
1.8                               2976x3200
1.9                               3136x3376
2.0      2688x3200         3296x3552

With my GTX1080, i7 9700K, I usually put SS 1.6, ASW on (40 fps) and rendering settings between High and Ultra.

Edited by cestomano

Haven't played DR2.0 VR for a while due to the performance issue. Just gave it a try with Oculus debug tool to see how the performance is. Man! I got constent 80FPS(rift s) with high graphics preset, 4x supersampling and 16x anisotropic filtering. Wow.

I couldn't manage to get 80fps with mixed low and medium settings before. I still have no idea what have been changed. But how great is that! I'm over the moon.

PS: 3700x + RTX 2070 super.

Edited by JKangSC
I'm over the moon.

Thankyou so much for that explanation @cestomano. As a VR noob I had to google ASW. Then I thought that can't possibly work, especially as the quest frame rate is already pushing the lower limit for VR. So I drove around dirtfish until I found a nice glitchy bit on low settings, forced ASW on and it ran smoothly. Tried a few doughnuts, shaking my head about etc. and the effect had me fooled. I've now managed to crank up to mostly medium with a few highs and still smooth.

Can't handle rain at night in the forest on high weather but I'm asking a lot from an old I7 3770 and RTX 2060. 

13 hours ago, Smithers1968 said:

Thankyou so much for that explanation @cestomano. As a VR noob I had to google ASW. Then I thought that can't possibly work, especially as the quest frame rate is already pushing the lower limit for VR. So I drove around dirtfish until I found a nice glitchy bit on low settings, forced ASW on and it ran smoothly. Tried a few doughnuts, shaking my head about etc. and the effect had me fooled. I've now managed to crank up to mostly medium with a few highs and still smooth.

Can't handle rain at night in the forest on high weather but I'm asking a lot from an old I7 3770 and RTX 2060. 

Yes, ASW in Dirt Rally 2.0 is very very good. I've tested reproyection in other HMDs (reproyection is similar to ASW in Oculus) and results aren't so good as in Oculus.

I get 40 fps with my computer with high-ultra settings and 1.6 on SS, with ASW on. With ASW off, I can only put med-low settings with 1.3 SS to get 80 fps.

ASW uses 40 fps in order to produce other "syntetic" 40 fps interleaved, so you'll get 80 fps. It's very smooth driving or moving the head. Not so smooth when you see the people moving around you (before you start the race)... but it's no important.

On 12/9/2019 at 2:41 PM, cestomano said:

"VR gameplay will sync to 45 FPS if it drops below 90 FPS" is only for HMD with 90Hz, like Oculus Rift CV1, HTC Vive, etc. In Oculus Rift S is 80Hz son with ASW fps go to 40fps (not 45).

And in DR2, ASW is great. You won't see artifacts (only a few when you are stopped). So I prefer to maximize my rendering preferences and activate ASW to run always at 40fps.

NOTE: In another HMDs, ASW similar methods, like "reproyection" maybe is worse. I've tested it in a HP Reverb (to use 45fps) and reproyection artifacts are more visible.

About resolution... you can't change resolution in game. You can do it outside. With Oculus, you can change supersampling with Oculus Debug Tool or, better, with Oculus Tray Tool (OTT). I let a table with resolution vs. supersampling relationships:

S.S.    Resolución Rift    Resolución Rift S
0.7                               1168x1248
0.8      1080x1200          1328x1424    (aprox. native resolution)
0.9                               1488x1600
1         1344x1600          1648x1776    (you won't to put SS under this point)
1.4                               2320x2480
1.5      2016x2400          2480x2656
1.6                               2640x2848
1.7      2285x2720          2816x3024
1.8                               2976x3200
1.9                               3136x3376
2.0      2688x3200         3296x3552

With my GTX1080, i7 9700K, I usually put SS 1.6, ASW on (40 fps) and rendering settings between High and Ultra.

You forgot the GPU render timings which are way above 11ms with your hardware and these settings. That's why it's red.
FPS isn't the only important point in VR. Render timings of max 11ms are even more important - IMO also with ASW.

e:Called 'frame timing' on Steam.

Edited by DessIntress

23 hours ago, DessIntress said:

You forgot the GPU render timings which are way above 11ms with your hardware and these settings. That's why it's red.
FPS isn't the only important point in VR. Render timings of max 11ms are even more important - IMO also with ASW. 

e:Called 'frame timing' on Steam.

Both things are relationated. You need 11 ms max tu make a frame if you want to run in 90fps mode. Rift S works at 80Hz so you need 12,5ms max (not 11ms) to run at 80fps.

But if you use ASW, you only need half the frames because another half are made syntetic. So, with ASW on, in Oculus Rift cv1 you can spent 22ms (max) to do a frame, and using Oculus Rift S, 25 ms.

I put my rendering options, AA and SS such render timmings don't go further than 25ms (in 99% of times). And the game runs as a charm.

2080ti here the performance is abysmal most of the tracks barely use 50% of my gpu some stutter like mad some run perfectly fine.

????????????

Doesnt matter what settings res aa 

On 12/24/2019 at 6:03 AM, ************ said:

2080ti here the performance is abysmal most of the tracks barely use 50% of my gpu some stutter like mad some run perfectly fine.

????????????

Doesnt matter what settings res aa 

Most likely you are CPU bound. I have RTX 2080Ti. I recently upgraded from Ryzen 7 1700 to 3800X just because of this. With old CPU I could not run anything but lowest settings and still had major stutters in Spain city areas. Now with R7 3800x (only CPU swapped), I can run medium/high settings even in a city and dense forest areas of stages. And still, fpsVR (https://store.steampowered.com/app/908520/fpsVR/) is showing that I'm mostly CPU limited.

The takeaway is that VR is an extremely CPU demanding affair.