VR FAQ & Performance

I just bought Dirt Rally 2.0 on Steam for my Oculus because I read that the 1.7 update supports Oculus. It was pretty obvious from the beginning it wasnt right. I requested a refund and if it isnt honored I'm going to file a fraud claim with my bank. Everything I read said it would work, it doesnt. I'm extremely annoyed. 

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, HairyGrappler said:

I just bought Dirt Rally 2.0 on Steam for my Oculus because I read that the 1.7 update supports Oculus. It was pretty obvious from the beginning it wasnt right. I requested a refund and if it isnt honored I'm going to file a fraud claim with my bank. Everything I read said it would work, it doesnt. I'm extremely annoyed. 

I play with an Oculus Rift via the steam version of the game. It runs fairly well, though it does havce a few "issues". It takes a bit of fettling to get it setup and running smoothly. Its a shame you didnt pop here asking for help first, I would have been more than willing to help you figure it out. For future referance however, could you post your full PC specifications?

Edited by Ialyrn

It's a Tuff 300 series. I only have Oculus games on it. How did you get it set up? It's annoying have to learn when things dont work intuitively but if I can get it working I'll try. 

Is it possible to play Dirt Rally 2.0 on Xbox one with an Oculus Rift (or any other headset)? If so how do I go about doing this and setting up?

thanks

just stopped by to leave some positive feedback!!

Bought dr 2 just two weeks ago, gold edition at Steam due to advertised VR capability. As avid rally fan and ex real rally navigator (N category) I already clocked 20+ so hours with my old G25 wheel and WMR VR set. Playing full realism and only on VR. Its brilliant, well done Codemasters!

I have decent fps only had to turn down few settings really.

Only fallbacks i see so far are these:

-unability to see true VR replays of stages

- need to wear headset on all occassions including service area and menus  - one needs to rest little bit )

- interpretation of rain from cockpit which makes it really hard in vr to play without at least chassis view

- weird controls of ingame menus--> not seeing options properly and not able to control them through keyboard

as with gameplay itself my biggest complain would be unconsistency in navigation itinerary sometimes totally off the track - how about possibility to include own "notes" for copilot/navigator to read aloud during stages would be great addition (like warnings or even "remapping" to individual drive style)?

Anyway no other VR driving game  beats DR2 VR experience when you slide into the corner sideways and still can look into the apex through side window!  

I tried, just for a change to see HD graphics, to play on my widescreen  monitor and sucked )

Thanks again!

Jan

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, abncz said:

true. and at the same time it makes impossible to record this replay in classic 2D mode. BTW both those features were included to Dirt Rally

Edited by MaXyMsrpl
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, abncz said:

just stopped by to leave some positive feedback!!

Bought dr 2 just two weeks ago, gold edition at Steam due to advertised VR capability. As avid rally fan and ex real rally navigator (N category) I already clocked 20+ so hours with my old G25 wheel and WMR VR set. Playing full realism and only on VR. Its brilliant, well done Codemasters!

Only fallbacks i see so far are these:

- need to wear headset on all occassions including service area and menus  - one needs to rest little bit )

- interpretation of rain from cockpit which makes it really hard in vr to play without at least chassis view

- weird controls of ingame menus--> not seeing options properly and not able to control them through keyboard

as with gameplay itself my biggest complain would be unconsistency in navigation itinerary sometimes totally off the track - how about possibility to include own "notes" for copilot/navigator to read aloud during stages would be great addition (like warnings or even "remapping" to individual drive style)?

Anyway no other VR driving game  beats DR2 VR experience when you slide into the corner sideways and still can look into the apex through side window!  

I tried, just for a change to see HD graphics, to play on my widescreen  monitor and sucked )

Thanks again!

Jan

Adding to that, bright changes are not natural. HDR effect in VR must be different!! Is not normal, not real, that moving a little your head (in VR you are always moving the head) does bright changes a lot.

HDR in VR must be softer. Changing only when you enter in a tunnel, trees zones, etc. And it must spend various seconds in change.

2 hours ago, MaXyMsrpl said:

true. and at the same time it makes impossible to record this replay in classic 2D mode. BTW both those features were included to Dirt Rally

+1.

Why not 3D replays? Where is the problem in doing it? And please, save the replays as in others simulators!!

On 4/28/2020 at 10:07 PM, abncz said:

what spec pc do you have out of interest?

have no sound on the game, after reinstalling then lost progress and still no sound! help! Rift working fine otherwise....

Posted (edited)

I removed all of my helpful tips and instead am reporting that I've uninstalled the game and retired from the series. After 6 months and 200+ hours of attempting to fix the micro-stuttering, I've officially given up. I'm no longer a Codemaster's customer and I will never be again.

Edited by Hitpawz
  • Like 1

Rift S user on a Win10pro intel 6700K with 1080 gpu.  Nvidia driver 445.87 works perfectly for me, no stutters or lag and dirt rally2.0 is very smooth and looks great with 2 x msaa.  The Steam version is now running better than it did awhile back but is behind Oculus in performance.

The remaining issue running Oculus sdk is the color banding in night time and dark scenes which PJTierney has brought up with the dev team for atention. Steam version does not have this issue.

On 5/11/2020 at 10:12 AM, Hitpawz said:

Here's everything I learned on my journey to finally getting performance in the game. Ultimately, the only thing that actually alleviates stuttering and makes the game smooth enough to track something with your eyes is, unfortunately, swapping to Oculus and not using SteamVR, but also rolling back from the latest nVidia drivers.

I now get maybe 3 micro-stutters tops per race and they're very small...I notice 100% of them.

1. Nv Drivers: 445.87 is broken. 442.59 is the last driver that's stable with this game. Confirmed 90% across the net. Rolling back gained me massive performance increases across the board on both SteamVR and Oculus SDK. MASSIVE! Went from obviously broken to "ok, now I just need to tweak settings". Made the game playable at the very least.

2. SteamVR performance is broken for me and was unsolvable as it never reaches solid smooth gameplay, regardless of min settings or lowest Resolution Per Eye (RPE 20%, image unreadable, still laggy). Oculus performance is solid (Quest Link tested here). A simple swap between the two is pretty night and day. Steam lags, Oculus doesn't. That kinda sums it up. It's a tough pill and pretty frustrating for SteamVR users and now leads me to rethink buying the Index (when it stops being sold out).

3. Oculus performance matches steam's, being broken in what feels the same ways, until Asynchronous Spacewarp (ASW) is disabled, at which point it becomes clear and smooth. This could mean "Legacy Reprojection" for the game's exe may help SteamVR. This setting is in the per-application section of the page with RPE on it..forget which main tab. You don't see it on any global settings pages, only per app. I DID try this myself with no luck a while ago, but that was before the driver roll-back and I have not tested since learning about ASW either with that. It can be disabled in the Oculus Debug Tool, which is in the install folders for the Oculus desktop app.

4. I get pretty substantial performance loss when I run my game at a different resolution and refresh rate than the native output of the Quest, which is 1600x1200 per eye. My monitor is 2k 165Mhz G-Sync. I had to set the monitor to 60 and then set the game to run 60 too. I did this in the config, where I also set the resolution. I actually had to logic through this discovery given that I finally took a moment to inspect performance on my screen while the game's also in the HMD lagging away like a POS. And guess what I saw? The game running 100% flawless on the monitor in front of me. I put the HMD over my eyes, lag fest, skipping, rubber banding..etc. Pull the HMD down and look at the screen, none of that, running smooth. Actually showing the game in a different state in the two outputs. Led me to think...hmmm, I wonder if my computer is too inept to know how to tell my screen to rock 165 and this thing at 60..since they're not even natural multiples...It might need to fully calculate both first? Lemme test this SHT and BOOM, less lag right out of the gate. Put the monitor back to 165 and back to the lagfest.

5. I actually go into Task Manager, under Details, and set the Priority of Dirt and all of the Oculus tasks to "Real-Time". I seem to get more micro-stutters without doing this (10+ per race), even in my final setup. I don't mess with Affinity as I tracked every core doing various things, some just for loading...etc.

6. I use Ryzen Master software to run my 2990wx in GameMode, which combines the 32 into 8 cores. So I'm running the game with 8. It's mostly for game stability, but very few games that I've ever tried do not benefit from doing this. What benefits me in 32 core mode is large 3D rendering scenes, building lighting on large environments, video encoding and shader caching..those scream in creator-mode (32 cores) and are pretty damn slow in 8core. This game seems to perform roughly similar regardless of 8 or 32 core mode. However, I do feel I finally settled on that game-mode was fundamentally more stable. I tried both for weeks at a time..this is a rare case for users as many run different CPUs.

7. Some settings are a balancing act more than just a "Lower is better". For instance, before swapping to Oculus, I actually got the game to run very smoothly (in between stutters) when I set textures to Ultra and maxed out the MSAA to 8x...which is TOTALLY counter to everything literally everybody says about that. However, I went back and forth about 50x just to make sure I wasn't tripping balls and I confirmed it 100% across the board that there's a balance with Textures, GPU and AA that needs to be found. If I turned completely off MSAA, and kept the Textures at Ultra, the game lagged like CRAZY. I mean unbelievable, constant, never-ending lag that just made it look like everything was spaz. I set to CMAA (or whatever the lowest one is)...same thing. MAJOR lag. All over the place. I change to 2x MSAA and boom, lag gone, game runs according to some internal refresh clock properly and the output is cleaned up. I set it to 8X? And bam!!! It's even smoother. 50 for 50 tests. Something has to match timing, not just "oh run that slower so there's more room to do other stuff". If I set MSAA to off, then Textures to Low, boom, no insane lag...synergy.

8. That's all I can think of for performance...couple notes about the visuals.

HMDs are blindingly over contrasted. It's ridiculous.

I seemed to get a little bit of help in this regard by turning HDR to 0 in the hardware_settings_config_vr.xml 
(C:\Users\NAME\Documents\My Games\DiRT Rally 2.0\hardwaresettings)(open with wordpad)

There's some other settings that can be done to help, like setting lod's on ground cover to 0.9 instead of 1 seems to help with it cutting off so close. You got many hidden options in that config file. You can turn shadows on for grass and particles, plus wind. You can set dynamicRes on/off for particles. You can tune all the LOD values and limit them so they don't pop. You can pull crowds or vehicles out of reflections. You can even activate the ultimate hard-mode and turn off environment destruction so every little flag-stick is a dead-stop death-trap.

that's about it. Most everything else I tried and tested and read about ended up being voodoo magic and mostly ineffective. Keep i mind, none of this was ever the 2s USB polling issue. Pulling USB devices in and out during a game is how Rick and Morty fix computers...unless you're on the polling thing, which shouldn't be happening to 2.0 anyway, only earlier titles.

Hope this helps somebody.

Thank you very much for this information. I'm running a Valve Index/1080Ti/i9 9900k/32GB and found it was running 'OK' a week or so ago (after turning things down), then I've started having issues (must have been after an Nvidia driver update. I will check my driver versions tonight). Even after all the VR FAQ performance suggested settings (turning off all MS, SS etc) on the Colin McRae flat out pack, second track in the woods with all the tree's I was getting rediculous slow downs to like 40fps or less (using VR fps to monitor). For other tracks I turned on SteamVR SS (per game) bringining it up to 120% SS which sharpnened the imsage up nice. However when I loaded the game up yesterday it just ingored it and ran at 90% SS for some unknown reason. It's like settings have a life of their own.

I also have a Rift-S, so I swapped to that and it is better but I still get slow downs with all the trees. I've turned trees down the lowest settings. I'm going to experiment more with the hardware_settings_config_vr.xml which I have been altering (changing the res, full screen or not etc). Anyway when it is running smooth in VR it's brilliant, their is just lots of fiddling. Settings that work fine one day for one track, don't necessarily work another day on other tracks. 

Posted (edited)
On 8/13/2019 at 4:47 PM, PJTierney said:

Based on our tests, these are the settings we recommend to give the best performance boost:

• Ambient Occlusion: Off
  • Ground Cover: Off
  • Shader: Low
  • Screenspace Reflections: Off
  • Anti-Aliasing: Off

Initial Performance (graphics preset; Medium):

• 60-67 FPS

Results after Recommended Settings:

• Over 90 FPS+ - Medium graphics preset plus all of the above changes.
  • Slightly under 90FPS - Medium graphics preset plus all of the above changes, Shader Detail on High

For reference, here was our PC build with which we tested each setting:

• GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k, 4.0 GHz
  • Version: Steam (using Oculus headset)

Depending on your hardware, PC build & peripherals, and their settings, performance may differ so please experiment with these settings until you find what works best for you.

After an absolute ton of testing, over and over again, for months on end. Monitoring performance, and repeating it on my gaming laptop. With both an Oculus Rift CV1 and an Oculus Rift S. I can honestly say this guide is wrong, based on your testing system specs.

In my desktop I have an -
i7 6700k@4.2GHz (same CPU as in your tests)
GTX1080 with 8GB GDDR5+
16gb DDR4 system ram

In my laptop I have -
i7 8750H@2.2GHz hex core (with a temporary boost to 4.10GHz, if temps are cool enough)
full GTX1070 with 8GB GDDR5+ Vram
16GB DDR4 system ram.

I initially tried the settings layed out in this guide, and lets be real here, the game is utterly ugly with "shaders" turned off. I also, and wrongly, assumed that ground cover was the fault that was causing the issues. But though my testing, I found that to be very false. There are 3 in game settings that are the biggest issue with gaining and maintaining a stable FPS. And this is true for the Oculus SDK and the SteamVR version of the game.

The first one is "screen space reflections", this setting, although pretty (for the most part), drops the FPS significantly. The stronger the system, the easier you can get away with this one; but it does make stability an issue. On top of this, it causes a weird transparant box to appear at the edges of oblects. From the aerials on the cars, to the guard rails, to even the sign posts. Its off putting, and its distracting as hell in VR. So the fault of this setting, could quite easilly be due to rendering in extra stuff that is mostly transparent. Its visible, but totally clear and see though.

The next setting is "night light", not much to say on this one. But driving around a stage at night, this one causes a random drop in FPS every now and again. A random drop I dont get with it turned "off". I cant 100% say on this one what may be causing it to act that badly with this option turned on. So you would need to investigate it yourselves, to see if anything odd is happening where it shouldnt be.

The third, and admittedly, strangest option. Is "Vehicle details". I find this setting has to be set to low. And this is where my confusion and wrong assumption that "Ground Cover" was the bad option. When Scotland released, this is where I noticed how wrong I was. Driving the stage "Newhouse Bridge" in the day setting, I acidently hit the button to turn on the cars lights on my racing wheel. As soon as I did, the FPS tanked (this was with Ground Cover turned off). After some looking into it, dropping this setting to medium, and then low. The FPS stabalised. After that, I turned on Ground cover, as the reason I had it turned off in the first place; was due to the issues with it turned on during night stages. Which I assumed was caused by shadows case from the cround cover. Turns out, I can have ground cover on "high" now, without the FPS drop I suffered before lowering the vehicle details. But it only happens if the car lights are on, no matter the time of day on the stage. I went back and tested this my go to stage of Wales Pant Mawr at night in the heavy rain.

Honestly, I would suggest these 3 settings, and the asscociated assests for them, need looking into. But I also understand the game is nearing the end of its dev cycle. Still, if they are an issue in Dirt Rally 2.0, they may be an issue in any further Dirt Games that use the Ego game engine. So could still be worth them been looked into.

As it stands now, and I have tested this in both SteamVR and OculusSDK via steam, on two different computers (specs listed above). With both the Rift CV1 and Rift S headsets. I can run with every other setting on "high", and even on ultra in regards to Trees, Objects, and track details when it comes to my desktop; and maintain a stable 90FPS (80FPS in the case of the Rift S). So it seems you have 3 graphical settings that are misbehaving, or are just poorly optimised. Turning just these 3 settings down (or off in the case of night light and SSR), improves the FPS significantly on my 2 systems. These 3 settings alone, are the first 3 things I now recommened are adjusted. With Reflections, Mirrors, and Shadows following behind, should people still have any performance issues.

I hope you pass this information on PJ, as I have done so much testing on this, and I have been double checking my findings over and over again before making this post. I had to be certain, at least as far as my 2 systems go.

Edited by Ialyrn
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Ialyrn said:

After an absolute ton of testing, over and over again, for months on end. Monitoring performance, and repeating it on my gaming laptop. With both an Oculus Rift CV1 and an Oculus Rift S. I can honestly say this guide is wrong, based on your testing system specs.

In my desktop I have an -
i7 6700k@4.2GHz (same CPU as in your tests)
GTX1080 with 8GB GDDR5+
16gb DDR4 system ram

In my laptop I have -
i7 8750H@2.2GHz hex core (with a temporary boost to 4.10GHz, if temps are cool enough)
full GTX1070 with 8GB GDDR5+ Vram
16GB DDR4 system ram.

I initially tried the settings layed out in this guide, and lets be real here, the game is utterly ugly with "shaders" turned off. I also, and wrongly, assumed that ground cover was the fault that was causing the issues. But though my testing, I found that to be very false. There are 3 in game settings that are the biggest issue with gaining and maintaining a stable FPS. And this is true for the Oculus SDK and the SteamVR version of the game.

The first one is "screen space reflections", this setting, although pretty (for the most part), drops the FPS significantly. The stronger the system, the easier you can get away with this one; but it does make stability an issue. On top of this, it causes a weird transparant box to appear at the edges of oblects. From the aerials on the cars, to the guard rails, to even the sign posts. Its off putting, and its distracting as hell in VR. So the fault of this setting, could quite easilly be due to rendering in extra stuff that is mostly transparent. Its visible, but totally clear and see though.

The next setting is "night light", not much to say on this one. But driving around a stage at night, this one causes a random drop in FPS every now and again. A random drop I dont get with it turned "off". I cant 100% say on this one what may be causing it to act that badly with this option turned on. So you would need to investigate it yourselves, to see if anything odd is happening where it shouldnt be.

The third, and admittedly, strangest option. Is "Vehicle details". I find this setting has to be set to low. And this is where my confusion and wrong assumption that "Ground Cover" was the bad option. When Scotland released, this is where I noticed how wrong I was. Driving the stage "Newhouse Bridge" in the day setting, I acidently hit the button to turn on the cars lights on my racing wheel. As soon as I did, the FPS tanked (this was with Ground Cover turned off). After some looking into it, dropping this setting to medium, and then low. The FPS stabalised. After that, I turned on Ground cover, as the reason I had it turned off in the first place; was due to the issues with it turned on during night stages. Which I assumed was caused by shadows case from the cround cover. Turns out, I can have ground cover on "high" now, without the FPS drop I suffered before lowering the vehicle details. But it only happens if the car lights are on, no matter the time of day on the stage. I went back and tested this my go to stage of Wales Pant Mawr at night in the heavy rain.

Honestly, I would suggest these 3 settings, and the asscociated assests for them, need looking into. But I also understand the game is nearing the end of its dev cycle. Still, if they are an issue in Dirt Rally 2.0, they may be an issue in any further Dirt Games that use the Ego game engine. So could still be worth them been looked into.

As it stands now, and I have tested this in both SteamVR and OculusSDK via steam, on two different computers (specs listed above). With both the Rift CV1 and Rift S headsets. I can run with every other setting on "high", and even on ultra in regards to Trees, Objects, and track details when it comes to my desktop; and maintain a stable 90FPS (80FPS in the case of the Rift S). So it seems you have 3 graphical settings that are misbehaving, or are just poorly optimised. Turning just these 3 settings down (or off in the case of night light and SSR), improves the FPS significantly on my 2 systems. These 3 settings alone, are the first 3 things I now recommened are adjusted. With Reflections, Mirrors, and Shadows following behind, should people still have any performance issues.

I hope you pass this information on PJ, as I have done so much testing on this, and I have been double checking my findings over and over again before making this post. I had to be certain, at least as far as my 2 systems go.

Could you share you hardware_settings...?

14 minutes ago, somethingthing said:

Could you share you hardware_settings...?

If you mean in file settings. I have it set to 720p window mode atm. Though i have tested it with fullscreen and what i assume is borderless window (setting number 2 in file). Mainly as i am planning on running the onscreen oculus window fullscreen to output over hdmi to my elgato hd60s for recording. And fps barely budged in fullscreen mode. I set it to number 2 in the file in order to still use my mouse. Since alt/enter doesnt work in vr.

6 minutes ago, Ialyrn said:

If you mean in file settings. I have it set to 720p window mode atm. Though i have tested it with fullscreen and what i assume is borderless window (setting number 2 in file). Mainly as i am planning on running the onscreen oculus window fullscreen to output over hdmi to my elgato hd60s for recording. And fps barely budged in fullscreen mode. I set it to number 2 in the file in order to still use my mouse. Since alt/enter doesnt work in vr.

i meant attach the entire file

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, somethingthing said:

i meant attach the entire file

Here you go. If you copy my "hardware_settings_config_vr.xml", make sure you only copy from the "resolution" line and below. So that your core system information remains the same.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<hardware_settings_config version="25" deviceId="0x1B80">
	<cpu>
		<threadStrategy workerMapFile="system/workerMap4Core.xml" forceFeedbackProcessor="3" dvdStorageProcessor="3" dataSetMonitorProcessor="1" renderProcessor="0" updateProcessor="2" fileStreamProcessor="3" />
	</cpu>
	<audio_card>
		<dynamic_range value="low" />
		<eq value="flat" />
		<voice_chat enabled="true" />
		<push_to_talk enabled="true" />
		<music level="0" />
		<replay_music level="0" />
		<effects level="100" />
		<engines level="100" />
		<speech level="100" />
		<surfaces level="100" />
		<voip level="100" />
	</audio_card>
	<motion_platform>
		<dbox enabled="true" />
		<udp enabled="false" extradata="0" ip="127.0.0.1" port="20777" delay="1" />
		<custom_udp enabled="false" filename="packet_data.xml" ip="127.0.0.1" port="20777" delay="1" />
		<fanatec enabled="true" pedalVibrationScale="1.0" wheelVibrationScale="1.0" ledTrueForGearsFalseForSpeed="true" />
	</motion_platform>
	<physics environmentalDamage="true" vehicleDamage="true" />
	<input device_type="auto" />
	<controls neutralTimeToShift="0.25" />
	<graphics_card rating="2">
		<eyefinity force="" osd="" />
		<stereo enabled="false" separation="0.015" convergence="0.5" />
		<resolution width="1920" height="1080" aspect="auto" fullscreen="2" vsync="1" refreshRate="60" multisampling="off" supersampling="1" taa="0" />
		<gamma level="1.0" />
		<hdr level="1.0" />
	</graphics_card>
	<shaders low_quality="false" />
	<textures quality="3" />
	<anisotropic target="16" />
	<shadows enabled="true" size="2048" maskQuality="1" particles="true" grass="false" />
	<particles enabled="true" wind="true" dynamicRes="false" lowResScalar="4" nearFadeBias="0" emissionRate="1.0" />
	<weather quality="1" />
	<crowd enabled="true" detail="1" />
	<cloth enabled="true" tessellation="true" />
	<ground_cover clutter="true" enabled="true" lodScaling="1.0" />
	<objects lod="1.02" maxlod="0" stones="true" />
	<trees lod="1.2" maxlod="0" meshes="true" />
	<vehicles characterQuality="1" lodQuality="0" textureQuality="1" />
	<track lod="2.0" />
	<reflections>
		<envmap size="512" quality="1" scaleminsize="1.0" mindistance="100.0" facesPerFrame="3" />
		<ibl probeSize="256" diffuseSize="16" diffuseSamples="128" specularSize="256" specularSamples="128" />
	</reflections>
	<mirrors enabled="true" width="768" height="256" car_maxlod="1" car_culldist="300.0" />
	<skidmarks enabled="true" />
	<dynamic_ambient_occ enabled="true" quality="3" />
	<dynamic_ambient_occ_soft enabled="true" />
	<night_lighting volumes="false" shadows="false" onlyHeadlights="false" shadowSize="1" renderTrees="false" renderVehicles="false" renderOrganisms="false" />
	<anisotropic target="4" />
	<aoit enabled="false" />
	<avsm enabled="true" />
	<postprocess>
		<motion_blur enabled="true" replayonly="false" />
		<god_rays enabled="true" replayonly="false" />
		<chromatic_aberration enabled="true" replayonly="false" />
		<bloom enabled="true" replayonly="false" />
		<lens_flares enabled="true" replayonly="false" />
		<light_streaks enabled="true" replayonly="false" />
		<lens_dust enabled="true" />
	</postprocess>
	<screenspace_reflections enabled="true" replayonly="true" />
	<vr enabled="true" eyeDistanceMultiplier="1.0" lockedOrientation="false">
		<motion_blur enabled="false" />
		<vignetteless enabled="true" />
	</vr>
</hardware_settings_config>

Edit: Also, just noticed its reset to 1920X1080 again. It keeps doing that.

Edited by Ialyrn

51 minutes ago, Ialyrn said:

Here you go. If you copy my "hardware_settings_config_vr.xml", make sure you only copy from the "resolution" line and below. So that your core system information remains the same.

<hardware_settings_config version="25" deviceId="0x1B80">
	<cpu>
		<threadStrategy workerMapFile="system/workerMap4Core.xml" forceFeedbackProcessor="3" dvdStorageProcessor="3" dataSetMonitorProcessor="1" renderProcessor="0" updateProcessor="2" fileStreamProcessor="3" />
	</cpu>
	<audio_card>
		<eq value="flat" />
		<music level="0" />
		<effects level="100" />
		<engines level="100" />
		<speech level="100" />
		<surfaces level="100" />
		<voip level="100" />
	</audio_card>
	<motion_platform>
		<dbox enabled="true" />
		<udp enabled="false" extradata="0" ip="127.0.0.1" port="20777" delay="1" />
		<custom_udp enabled="false" filename="packet_data.xml" ip="127.0.0.1" port="20777" delay="1" />
		<fanatec enabled="true" pedalVibrationScale="1.0" wheelVibrationScale="1.0" ledTrueForGearsFalseForSpeed="true" />
	</motion_platform>
		<resolution width="1920" height="1080" aspect="auto" fullscreen="2" vsync="1" refreshRate="60" multisampling="off" supersampling="1" taa="0" />
		<gamma level="1.0" />
		<hdr level="1.0" />
	</graphics_card>
	<shaders low_quality="false" />
	<textures quality="3" />
	<anisotropic target="16" />
	<shadows enabled="true" size="2048" maskQuality="1" particles="true" grass="false" />
	<particles enabled="true" wind="true" dynamicRes="false" lowResScalar="4" nearFadeBias="0" emissionRate="1.0" />
	<weather quality="1" />
	<ground_cover clutter="true" enabled="true" lodScaling="1.0" />
	<objects lod="1.02" maxlod="0" stones="true" />
	<trees lod="1.2" maxlod="0" meshes="true" />
	<vehicles characterQuality="1" lodQuality="0" textureQuality="1" />
	<track lod="2.0" />
	<reflections>
		<envmap size="512" quality="1" scaleminsize="1.0" mindistance="100.0" facesPerFrame="3" />
		<ibl probeSize="256" diffuseSize="16" diffuseSamples="128" specularSize="256" specularSamples="128" />
	</reflections>
	<mirrors enabled="true" width="768" height="256" car_maxlod="1" car_culldist="300.0" />
	<dynamic_ambient_occ enabled="true" quality="3" />
	<dynamic_ambient_occ_soft enabled="true" />
	<night_lighting volumes="false" shadows="false" onlyHeadlights="false" shadowSize="1" renderTrees="false" renderVehicles="false" renderOrganisms="false" />
	<aoit enabled="false" />
	<avsm enabled="true" />
	<postprocess>
		<god_rays enabled="true" replayonly="false" />
		<chromatic_aberration enabled="true" replayonly="false" />
		<bloom enabled="true" replayonly="false" />
		<light_streaks enabled="true" replayonly="false" />
		<lens_dust enabled="true" />
	</postprocess>
	<screenspace_reflections enabled="true" replayonly="true" />
	<vr enabled="true" eyeDistanceMultiplier="1.0" lockedOrientation="false">
	</vr>

Edit: Also, just noticed its reset to 1920X1080 again. It keeps doing that.

Thanks, ill check. Just noticed something by just comparing our configs and your graphics card is rated 2 while mine is rated 4. I also use a 1080.

Posted (edited)

Valve Index VR Settings

After fiddling with a lot of settings here are my VR settings for the Valve Index giving me an average 85 to 90 FPS accross most maps, including Scotlands with the woods.  No doubt there is probably better setup but hopefully this is a useful starter for anyone running an Valve Index.

My PC spec 1080Ti, Intel i9 9900k, 32GB. Nvidia driver 445.87 (15/04/2020), SteamVR 1.11.12

SteamVR running at 90Hz with motion smoothing ON (see attached images at the bottom) (I tried 120Hz but was getting stutters on some maps)
SteamVR Render Resolution to CUSTOM and then 100% (2016 x 2240)
SteamVR Per application setting I left as default
For completeness I've included my Nvidia app settings for DirtRally 2

I've pretty much turned most things off/down apart from texture details on ultra. I've set the resolution to the native size of the headset which keeps things relatively sharp (2560 x 1440) so no super sampling required. I've noticed if you try and maximise the VR spectator view on Windows (e.g. pressing alt + enter) it messes with the resolution set below (so avoid doing that). I use the SteamVR 'Display VR View' for capturing game footage.

<resolution width="2560" height="1440" aspect="auto" fullscreen="0" vsync="0" refreshRate="90" multisampling="off" supersampling="0" taa="0" />
        <gamma level="1.0" />
        <hdr level="1.0" />
    </graphics_card>

My full XML details below. If anyone has a better setup for the Index I'm be happy to try it out. 

hardware_settings_config_vr.xml graphics section below:

<hardware_settings_config version="25" deviceId="0x1B06">
	<cpu>
		<threadStrategy workerMapFile="system/workerMap8Core.xml" forceFeedbackProcessor="6" dvdStorageProcessor="7" dataSetMonitorProcessor="4" renderProcessor="0" updateProcessor="2" fileStreamProcessor="5" />
	</cpu>
	<audio_card>
		<eq value="flat" />
		<music level="0" />
		<effects level="100" />
		<engines level="100" />
		<speech level="100" />
		<surfaces level="100" />
		<voip level="100" />
	</audio_card>
	<motion_platform>
		<dbox enabled="true" />
		<udp enabled="true" extradata="3" ip="127.0.0.1" port="20777" delay="1" />
	</motion_platform>
		<resolution width="2560" height="1440" aspect="auto" fullscreen="0" vsync="0" refreshRate="90" multisampling="off" supersampling="0" taa="0" />
		<gamma level="1.0" />
		<hdr level="1.0" />
	</graphics_card>
	<shaders low_quality="true" />
	<textures quality="3" />
	<anisotropic target="1" />
	<shadows enabled="false" size="1" maskQuality="0" particles="false" grass="false" />
	<particles enabled="true" wind="true" dynamicRes="true" lowResScalar="4" nearFadeBias="0" emissionRate="0.5" />
	<weather quality="0" />
	<ground_cover clutter="false" enabled="false" lodScaling="0.25" />
	<objects lod="0.1" maxlod="1" stones="false" />
	<trees lod="1.0" maxlod="0" meshes="false" />
	<vehicles characterQuality="2" lodQuality="1" textureQuality="2" />
	<track lod="1.0" />
	<reflections>
		<envmap size="128" quality="0" scaleminsize="2.0" mindistance="0.0" facesPerFrame="3" />
		<ibl probeSize="128" diffuseSize="16" diffuseSamples="64" specularSize="128" specularSamples="64" />
	</reflections>
	<mirrors enabled="true" width="192" height="64" car_maxlod="3" car_culldist="100.0" />
	<dynamic_ambient_occ enabled="false" quality="0" />
	<dynamic_ambient_occ_soft enabled="false" />
	<night_lighting volumes="false" shadows="true" onlyHeadlights="false" shadowSize="256" renderTrees="true" renderVehicles="false" renderOrganisms="false" />
	<aoit enabled="false" />
	<avsm enabled="false" />
	<postprocess>
		<god_rays enabled="false" replayonly="false" />
		<chromatic_aberration enabled="false" replayonly="false" />
		<bloom enabled="false" replayonly="false" />
		<light_streaks enabled="false" replayonly="false" />
		<lens_dust enabled="false" />
	</postprocess>
	<screenspace_reflections enabled="false" replayonly="true" />
	<vr enabled="true" eyeDistanceMultiplier="1.000000" lockedOrientation="false">
	</vr>

Steam_VR_Settings.JPG

Steam_Per_App_Dirt_Settings.JPG

Nvidia_Settings.JPG

Game_Screen_Shot.JPG

Edited by Ham4tw

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, somethingthing said:

Thanks, ill check. Just noticed something by just comparing our configs and your graphics card is rated 2 while mine is rated 4. I also use a 1080.

That is odd. I will just change that to "4" and see what happens.

Edit: I set it to "4", like it is in your file. I didnt notice anything odd by changing it. What version of the GTX1080 do you have? I have the MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X plus, which is a facotry OC'd unit from MSI.

Edited by Ialyrn

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Ialyrn said:

That is odd. I will just change that to "4" and see what happens.

Edit: I set it to "4", like it is in your file. I didnt notice anything odd by changing it. What version of the GTX1080 do you have? I have the MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X plus, which is a facotry OC'd unit from MSI.

I think a lot of your settings are heavy on the cpu because the framerate was around 80 and yet the GPU was only at around 80% also. Im only using a 1600 so thats probably whats keeping me back here. The settings im using currently keeping the GPU to about 95% (msaa x2 probably put it up) in the worst conditions so i guess ill stay with them until its time for a upgrade. 

Edited by somethingthing

10 minutes ago, somethingthing said:

I think a lot of your settings are heavy on the cpu because the framerate was around 80 and yet the GPU was only at around 80% also. Im only using a 1600 so thats probably whats keeping me back here. The settings im using currently keeping the GPU to about 95% (msaa x2 probably put it up) in the worst conditions so i guess ill stay with them until its time for a upgrade. 

I can sort of see that, I assume you mean the Ryzen 5 1600? If so, it would be more comparable to my gaming laptops 6 core i7 8750H, but that ones runs at 2.2GHz due to been a laptop CPU, and I run the exact same settings on it. Though saying that, early Ryzens, although excellent. Still couldnt match the per core performance of an intel CPU. So its possible its that aspect that is holding you back. I know Ryzen 2nd gen, and especially 3rd gen; have really stuck it to Intel in refards to the per core performance though. The CPU in my desktop is only a quad core.

Could you post up your full "hardware_settings_config_vr.xml"?

13 minutes ago, Ialyrn said:

I can sort of see that, I assume you mean the Ryzen 5 1600? If so, it would be more comparable to my gaming laptops 6 core i7 8750H, but that ones runs at 2.2GHz due to been a laptop CPU, and I run the exact same settings on it. Though saying that, early Ryzens, although excellent. Still couldnt match the per core performance of an intel CPU. So its possible its that aspect that is holding you back. I know Ryzen 2nd gen, and especially 3rd gen; have really stuck it to Intel in refards to the per core performance though. The CPU in my desktop is only a quad core.

Could you post up your full "hardware_settings_config_vr.xml"?

Here it is. With this im also using 1.1 SS in OTT.

hardware_settings_config_vr.xml

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, somethingthing said:

Here it is. With this im also using 1.1 SS in OTT.

hardware_settings_config_vr.xml

Is there any chance you can copy and paste it into a "code" tag within your comment?
I never download random files onto my computer. Not saying you are doing anything unscrupulous, but always better safe than sorry 😅

Edited by Ialyrn

So after a few weeks hiatus I went to play Dirt Rally 2.0 again, and found that there was a 19GB update to download. I thought that was kind of weird, since the Colin McRae update was supposed to be the last content for the game. Whatever, I waited for the update to finish so I could get playing.

Except that now, VR is totalled F'ed after the update. Steam VR is totally unuseable, it will completely freeze visually for a good 5-10 seconds while audio continues to play, before I get about 2 seconds of normal framerate and then it freezes for another 5-10 seconds. Also if I look away even slightly from the position of the menu screen it disappears and my steam loading background shows. In Oculus mode, the game is playable for roughly 10-15 minutes until I get a crash to desktop. This has consistently happened 3 times in a row now, and is extremely frustrating (to say the least) when I am playing a national championship (sim substitute due to COVID) and I get instant DNFd because of the game crash.

Is anyone else experiencing these issues? I am playing with the following hardware:

• Oculus Rift S
  • Ryzen 3600 processor
  • MSI B450M Mortar motherboard
  • Nvidia GTX 980 Ti
  • 16GB RAM

The game worked flawlessly in VR on this exact hardware until the most recent update. I couldn't say whether the issue is exclusive to VR, as I don't play flatscreen on this rig.