VR FAQ & Performance

3 hours ago, Inconcinnity said:

So after a few weeks hiatus I went to play Dirt Rally 2.0 again, and found that there was a 19GB update to download. I thought that was kind of weird, since the Colin McRae update was supposed to be the last content for the game. Whatever, I waited for the update to finish so I could get playing.

Except that now, VR is totalled F'ed after the update. Steam VR is totally unuseable, it will completely freeze visually for a good 5-10 seconds while audio continues to play, before I get about 2 seconds of normal framerate and then it freezes for another 5-10 seconds. Also if I look away even slightly from the position of the menu screen it disappears and my steam loading background shows. In Oculus mode, the game is playable for roughly 10-15 minutes until I get a crash to desktop. This has consistently happened 3 times in a row now, and is extremely frustrating (to say the least) when I am playing a national championship (sim substitute due to COVID) and I get instant DNFd because of the game crash.

Is anyone else experiencing these issues? I am playing with the following hardware:

• Oculus Rift S
  • Ryzen 3600 processor
  • MSI B450M Mortar motherboard
  • Nvidia GTX 980 Ti
  • 16GB RAM

The game worked flawlessly in VR on this exact hardware until the most recent update. I couldn't say whether the issue is exclusive to VR, as I don't play flatscreen on this rig.

I would suggest turning screen space reflections off
turning off night light
lowering vehicle details to low
turning crowds off entirely (known to cause the sort of freezes you are mentioning).
Setting textures to low
putting everything else on medium as a starting point.
and turning off all the post processing light, bloom, and lens effects at the bottom of the graphical settings menu (the options below Skidmarks).

I would also check your GPU temps, as it is such an old GPU at this point; it is highly possible you are also suffering with termal throttling from degraded thermal compound, as well as dust build up. It is worth checking that off the list, just in case. As componants can and do run hotter the older they get, just due to reduced thermal capacity when the thermal compound ages. And dust will just reduce the effectivness of the fans. You can also set a custom fan curve for your GPU, or set the fans to run between 80% and 100% also. But if its degraded thermal compound, the only realistic way forward is to take the cooling fans and heatsink off, use isopropyl alcohol to clean off the old stuff, and replace with a new thermal compound. Something that isnt electrically conductive, such as Arctic MX-4 as a viable example.

Some people are also mentioning that the latest Nvidia device drivers have tanked GPU performance accross the board. So it may help you to roll back to an older driver, or if you are on an older driver currently, updating to a newer driver.

Whatever is going on, I would say its GPU related. You may not want to hear this, but it could just be dying on you. Its something to keep in mind. It doesnt make sense that you could run the game ok previously on the same hardware, and then all of a sudden you are having these major gameplay issues. And that all leads to something wrong with the GPU, judging by what you describe in your post.

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Ialyrn said:

Is there any chance you can copy and paste it into a "code" tag within your comment?
I never download random files onto my computer. Not saying you are doing anything unscrupulous, but always better safe than sorry 😅

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<hardware_settings_config version="25" deviceId="0x1B80">
	<cpu>
		<threadStrategy workerMapFile="system/workerMap6Core.xml" forceFeedbackProcessor="4" dvdStorageProcessor="5" dataSetMonitorProcessor="1" renderProcessor="0" updateProcessor="2" fileStreamProcessor="3" />
	</cpu>
	<audio_card>
		<dynamic_range value="low" />
		<eq value="headphones" />
		<voice_chat enabled="true" />
		<push_to_talk enabled="true" />
		<music level="15" />
		<replay_music level="0" />
		<effects level="100" />
		<engines level="100" />
		<speech level="100" />
		<surfaces level="100" />
		<voip level="100" />
	</audio_card>
	<motion_platform>
		<dbox enabled="true" />
		<udp enabled="true" extradata="3" ip="127.0.0.1" port="20770" delay="1" />
		<custom_udp enabled="false" filename="packet_data.xml" ip="127.0.0.1" port="20777" delay="1" />
		<fanatec enabled="true" pedalVibrationScale="1.0" wheelVibrationScale="1.0" ledTrueForGearsFalseForSpeed="true" />
	</motion_platform>
	<physics environmentalDamage="true" vehicleDamage="true" />
	<input device_type="auto" />
	<controls neutralTimeToShift="0.25" />
	<graphics_card rating="4">
		<eyefinity force="" osd="" />
		<stereo enabled="true" separation="0.015" convergence="0.5" />
		<resolution width="1280" height="720" aspect="auto" fullscreen="0" vsync="0" refreshRate="143" multisampling="2xmsaa" supersampling="1" taa="0" />
		<gamma level="1.000000" />
		<hdr level="0.1" />
	</graphics_card>
	<shaders low_quality="false" />
	<textures quality="2" />
	<anisotropic target="16" />
	<shadows enabled="true" size="768" maskQuality="0" particles="false" grass="false" />
	<particles enabled="true" wind="true" dynamicRes="true" lowResScalar="4" nearFadeBias="0" emissionRate="0.5" />
	<weather quality="0" />
	<crowd enabled="true" detail="1" />
	<cloth enabled="true" tessellation="false" />
	<ground_cover clutter="true" enabled="true" lodScaling="0.9" />
	<objects lod="0.1" maxlod="1" stones="false" />
	<trees lod="0.75" maxlod="0" meshes="true" />
	<vehicles characterQuality="1" lodQuality="0" textureQuality="1" />
	<track lod="2.0" />
	<reflections>
		<envmap size="128" quality="0" scaleminsize="2.0" mindistance="0.0" facesPerFrame="3" />
		<ibl probeSize="128" diffuseSize="16" diffuseSamples="64" specularSize="128" specularSamples="64" />
	</reflections>
	<mirrors enabled="false" width="192" height="64" car_maxlod="4" car_culldist="0.0" />
	<skidmarks enabled="true" />
	<dynamic_ambient_occ enabled="false" quality="0" />
	<dynamic_ambient_occ_soft enabled="false" />
	<night_lighting volumes="false" shadows="false" onlyHeadlights="false" shadowSize="1" renderTrees="false" renderVehicles="false" renderOrganisms="false" />
	<anisotropic target="4" />
	<aoit enabled="false" />
	<avsm enabled="false" />
	<postprocess>
		<motion_blur enabled="false" replayonly="false" />
		<god_rays enabled="false" replayonly="false" />
		<chromatic_aberration enabled="false" replayonly="false" />
		<bloom enabled="false" replayonly="false" />
		<lens_flares enabled="false" replayonly="false" />
		<light_streaks enabled="false" replayonly="false" />
		<lens_dust enabled="false" />
	</postprocess>
	<screenspace_reflections enabled="false" replayonly="true" />
	<vr enabled="true" eyeDistanceMultiplier="1.000000" lockedOrientation="false">
		<motion_blur enabled="false" />
		<vignetteless enabled="false" />
	</vr>
</hardware_settings_config>

turned off ss and upped track today. Also using 2x msaa and 16x anisotropic filtering, i dont think that apply even if you copy because your config says multisampling off and yet i had it on trying yours.

Edited by somethingthing

On 4/20/2020 at 2:56 AM, Ialyrn said:

I play with an Oculus Rift via the steam version of the game. It runs fairly well, though it does havce a few "issues". It takes a bit of fettling to get it setup and running smoothly. Its a shame you didnt pop here asking for help first, I would have been more than willing to help you figure it out. For future referance however, could you post your full PC specifications?

Out of interest How are you recording/streaming the VR view. Is that with the OpenVR plugin for OBS or the SteamVR view or something else?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ham4tw said:

Out of interest How are you recording/streaming the VR view. Is that with the OpenVR plugin for OBS or the SteamVR view or something else?

Oculus Mirror via "window capture" in OBS Studio, with my webcam and the Dirt Telemetry tool added over top. I do have the OpenVR plugin, but that only works if I am running the game in SteamVR mode. I use Oculus Mirror when I am in OculusVR mode.

@somethingthing Aye, I noticed the game does some odd things with that file. It makes me wonder if it is still partially running from the nonVR version of the file, which could potentially explain why performance is often all over the place in VR. As that VR file keeps changing on its own to up the resolution, and even Multisampling keeps turning on. Its annoying.

Edited by Ialyrn

1 hour ago, Ialyrn said:

Oculus Mirror via "window capture" in OBS Studio, with my webcam and the Dirt Telemetry tool added over top. I do have the OpenVR plugin, but that only works if I am running the game in SteamVR mode. I use Oculus Mirror when I am in OculusVR mode.

@somethingthing Aye, I noticed the game does some odd things with that file. It makes me wonder if it is still partially running from the nonVR version of the file, which could potentially explain why performance is often all over the place in VR. As that VR file keeps changing on its own to up the resolution, and even Multisampling keeps turning on. Its annoying.

The performance in VR is very up and down. One session the game can be very good and after taking a break and get back its stutter heaven. If theres a DR 3.0 i hope they use the Madness engine.

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, somethingthing said:

The performance in VR is very up and down. One session the game can be very good and after taking a break and get back its stutter heaven. If theres a DR 3.0 i hope they use the Madness engine.

I completely agree with that. The Madness engine has far better oculus vr and steam vr integration

I just bought the GOTY version of Dirt 2.0 and there is a real problem of brightness management in VR. In order to obtain the correct brightness and the colors in VR and allow you to see the road, you have to lower the brightness very low, and at this moment, it is the cockpit which is all black ... It's not normal ... MAke something please !

Also the width of the car is a little smaller than the real size. The door on the right is too close,
and the head stuck in the protection bar and the window of the left door.
A solution please ?

Just wanted to share what worked for me (i7-6700/2080ti) with the SteamVR version of the game on a Vive Pro. The two biggest factors were setting resolution scaling to 100% and turning off Legacy Reprojection under Dirt Rally 2.0 VR settings in SteamVR.

Then, in game, set MSAAx8/Anisotropic Filtering x16, ultra preset, then turn off Screen Space Reflections and vehicle details low (everything else is maxed out). With legacy reprojection on, I basically couldn't get past the "low" preset without massive stuttering.

the latest drivers from nvidia (446.14) helped with some stutter i had on new england before. Before i updated i used 442.59 and the drivers that came after that and before 446.14 didnt work well at all with my pc so it might be worth giving it a shot if you havent updated them already.

On 5/30/2020 at 8:29 PM, kaiseiken said:

Just wanted to share what worked for me (i7-6700/2080ti) with the SteamVR version of the game on a Vive Pro. The two biggest factors were setting resolution scaling to 100% and turning off Legacy Reprojection under Dirt Rally 2.0 VR settings in SteamVR.

Then, in game, set MSAAx8/Anisotropic Filtering x16, ultra preset, then turn off Screen Space Reflections and vehicle details low (everything else is maxed out). With legacy reprojection on, I basically couldn't get past the "low" preset without massive stuttering.

Did it default to legacy re-projection for you? Never thought to check this myself