Sign in to follow this  

Dirt Rally 2.0 Online only?

Or can it be played offline? I read a review on steam that said it was always online but didn't see anyone else mention it. 

No, the online portion is limited to My Team (what some people say is "career") but it is only for handshakes to validate times after each stage. Other than that you can play offline in customs/time trial/historic no problem

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

21 hours ago, Mike Dee said:

No, the online portion is limited to My Team (what some people say is "career") but it is only for handshakes to validate times after each stage. Other than that you can play offline in customs/time trial/historic no problem

Ah, ok.

Still a little hesitant after looking at the amount of DLC lol. Looks like they wanna be the next train simulator lol.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, DarkRedslayer said:

Ah, ok.

Still a little hesitant after looking at the amount of DLC lol. Looks like they wanna be the next train simulator lol.

Eh don't fret over the DLC too much. People complained in DR1 that we didn't have enough content and wanted more - that is exactly what CM is doing for us. And if you avoid the DLC bundles that include liveries and stuff, and only focus on stages/cars, you can get all current (rally) DLC for like what - $15 on sale which is all rally cars + rally stages. IMO it's a solid deal and for racing games/simulations I honestly think massive backlogs of DLC is a good thing. We don't need a rehash of the game every year or two, what we do need is a great base with TONS of additional content we can pick up when we want specific stuff. 

• Agree 4

3 minutes ago, Mike Dee said:

Eh don't fret over the DLC too much. People complained in DR1 that we didn't have enough content and wanted more - that is exactly what CM is doing for us. And if you avoid the DLC bundles that include liveries and stuff, and only focus on stages/cars, you can get all current (rally) DLC for like what - $15 on sale which is all rally cars + rally stages. IMO it's a solid deal and for racing games/simulations I honestly think massive backlogs of DLC is a good thing. We don't need a rehash of the game every year or two, what we do need is a great base with TONS of additional content we can pick up when we want specific stuff. 

Probably gonna hold off a bit, from what I've seen, occulus support on the steam version is not good atm. I'll dig a little more over the weekend and see whats up

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, DarkRedslayer said:

Probably gonna hold off a bit, from what I've seen, occulus support on the steam version is not good atm. I'll dig a little more over the weekend and see whats up

ya it's been a mess (I'm not one of the ones affected but response has been quite universally negative). they def know about it though so hopefully it'll get fixed in a bit

If we're going to make Train Simulator comparisons....
1 route in Train Sim = £5.99 to £24.99, averaging somewhere in the middle of that. 1 rally in DR2 = £2.99, or £1.49 in one of Codies' frequent sales.
1 locomotive in Train Sim = £4.99 to £17.99, again averaging somewhere in the middle. 1 car in DR2 = £1.49, or cheaper in the sales.
You can get all the DLC rallies for less than the cost of 1 Train Sim location - yikes! 😱

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 8/13/2019 at 11:56 PM, DarkRedslayer said:

Or can it be played offline? I read a review on steam that said it was always online but didn't see anyone else mention it. 

If you want to earn credits to buy cars then you have to be online, the single player career requires you to be connected to the internet. There is a Freeplay mode that you can play offline, but you won’t earn any credits. 

• Agree 2

*winning the World RX Championship or the R5 historic championship in Freeplay give you a free car and cash for the career.

it's also worth pointing out that all the cars and team upgrades you pay for in Career mode are all activated in Freeplay automatically, and you can use any car in the game.

you can't use DLC content if you haven't paid for it of course, except if you play online against other players, in which case if the host picks a DLC location or car class you get to use them with everyone else

16 hours ago, Malling said:

If we're going to make Train Simulator comparisons....
1 route in Train Sim = £5.99 to £24.99, averaging somewhere in the middle of that. 1 rally in DR2 = £2.99, or £1.49 in one of Codies' frequent sales.
1 locomotive in Train Sim = £4.99 to £17.99, again averaging somewhere in the middle. 1 car in DR2 = £1.49, or cheaper in the sales.
You can get all the DLC rallies for less than the cost of 1 Train Sim location - yikes! 😱

Yeah but DR 2.0 is not even a year old and already has like 80 dollars of DLC lol Extrapolate that to how long TS has been at it and you aren't far off from Train simulator costs lol.

9 hours ago, ianism said:

*winning the World RX Championship or the R5 historic championship in Freeplay give you a free car and cash for the career.

it's also worth pointing out that all the cars and team upgrades you pay for in Career mode are all activated in Freeplay automatically, and you can use any car in the game.

you can't use DLC content if you haven't paid for it of course, except if you play online against other players, in which case if the host picks a DLC location or car class you get to use them with everyone else

Thanks for the info guys, If they are planning on fixing the Oculus support on steam, I'll probably just grab it and play triple screen for awhile til they fix it. But I'll probably just get the base game, I'm not buying a bunch of DLC, especially when I hear they are making a new "deluxe" or whatever as the current one wont cover any new DLCs. I'll just wait til the super saiyan god super saiyan 3 deluxe ultra V3.25 option when the game is "finished" and get it all at once lol. Or a 90% sale lol

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, DarkRedslayer said:

Yeah but DR 2.0 is not even a year old and already has like 80 dollars of DLC lol Extrapolate that to how long TS has been at it and you aren't far off from Train simulator costs lol.

Pretty sure DR2.0 won't get this bad! (pic nabbed from Reddit)
3kygja9jie031.png

15 hours ago, Malling said:

Pretty sure DR2.0 won't get this bad! (pic nabbed from Reddit)
3kygja9jie031.png

Lmao.

But to be fair, the number it was at after a year, isn't too far off from where DR2.0 is now. And with 2 more chapters or whatever they are calling it, it will likely cost more after a year than train sim after a year (assuming you don't wait for a big sale lol or get a deluxe edition that gives you a bunch of it, just talking raw numbers).

15 hours ago, DarkRedslayer said:

Lmao.

But to be fair, the number it was at after a year, isn't too far off from where DR2.0 is now. And with 2 more chapters or whatever they are calling it, it will likely cost more after a year than train sim after a year (assuming you don't wait for a big sale lol or get a deluxe edition that gives you a bunch of it, just talking raw numbers).

That Train Sim chart shows the cost of DLC only - not including the base game. Pretty sure the DR2 DLC won't total to $140 in a year!

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Malling said:

That Train Sim chart shows the cost of DLC only - not including the base game. Pretty sure the DR2 DLC won't total to $140 in a year!

Its at like 80 now I think lol (edit - 55 or so for the dlcs, or the delux DLC is 30 when not on sale.)

Anyway... Is there no difficulty option again in career mode? That was the dumbest thing they did in DR1. 

Edited by DarkRedslayer

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, DarkRedslayer said:

Is there no difficulty option again in career mode? That was the dumbest thing they did in DR1. 

The difficulty is built in? If you're fast you'll climb easily out of open/clubman/pro but they don't get a magic slider to make them easier at the end. Masters is not supposed to be beatable by most people, hell it shouldn't even be achievable for the majority of players. But that is exactly what the community asked for after DR1 - some actually challenging AI.

Edited by Mike Dee
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Mike Dee said:

The difficulty is built in? If you're fast you'll climb easily out of open/clubman/pro but they don't get a magic slider to make them easier at the end. Masters is not supposed to be beatable by most people, hell it shouldn't even be achievable for the majority of players. But that is exactly what the community asked for after DR1 - some actually challenging AI.

Bah, dumbest set up of all time. Means the career mode is only fun the first time I play the game. Next time I come back in the mood for rally I won't be competitive at all with the difficulty the game will be. This was what eventually made me lose interest in DR1 all together. Glad I only bought the base game, will be fun for awhile, but the life span of the game will be greatly diminished by this stupid difficulty setup.

This is why I hate "hardcore" communities and "casual" communities. I just want good realistic physics, with options to adjust difficulty. Instead I get Dirt rally which plays the way I want but with no options in career mode because of whiners who can't /not/ use options if they are there, and Dirt 4, which plays like trash but has a solid suite of options to make the game enjoyable even if I haven't played it for over 6 months.

I should have checked this first instead of wasting my 2 hours just testing out the game lol. I would have refunded and waited til I could have got it for like 10 bucks. Ohwell, too late now I guess. I'll just try to make the most out of career mode once, and then it'll be nothing but custom championships, just like DR. Damn it man.

Just when I was thinking the game didn't deserve it's mixed reviews lol 😛

22 minutes ago, DarkRedslayer said:

I just want good realistic physics, with options to adjust difficulty.

So you mean all of custom championships? My Team isn't "career mode" - it is your online persona mode. It is what you use to do community events. They included a climbing championship in there to help people build up their online profile for racing. So it only leaves you at that difficulty because the last time your raced, you were essentially ranked at that difficulty. That is like playing CSGO competitively until you hit top rank and then complaining when you come back 5 months later that you can't compete with your competitive matches.

Well yeah, give it a few games and you'll be re-ranked pretty quickly. Not to mention that in DR2 you can just abandon a few championships and you can demote yourself to whatever tier you want. Yes a Custom Champ option inside My Team that let you set difficulty would be nice, but it isn't the end of the world.

• Agree 1

On 8/17/2019 at 5:20 PM, Mike Dee said:

So you mean all of custom championships? My Team isn't "career mode" - it is your online persona mode. It is what you use to do community events. They included a climbing championship in there to help people build up their online profile for racing. So it only leaves you at that difficulty because the last time your raced, you were essentially ranked at that difficulty. That is like playing CSGO competitively until you hit top rank and then complaining when you come back 5 months later that you can't compete with your competitive matches.

Well yeah, give it a few games and you'll be re-ranked pretty quickly. Not to mention that in DR2 you can just abandon a few championships and you can demote yourself to whatever tier you want. Yes a Custom Champ option inside My Team that let you set difficulty would be nice, but it isn't the end of the world.

Nonsense. This is the mode that you earn money and upgrades in. I am not playing against other people. If I am, they are terrible, because even though I have only 4 hours in the game, with at least 30 minutes of that just tweaking my wheels settings to get a good feel, I'm winning short rallies by an average of 15 seconds and long ones by 30-45 seconds, The one I just did, I was down 16 seconds after rolling my car, and finished 30 seconds ahead after crashing through a fence and losing another 6 seconds or so. I won the last 'event' (the second in rally) by over 2 minutes at the end.

This is why the lack of difficulty sliders are stupid. I want it like F1, where I can find a happy medium and roll on. Some races I run **** because I don't play for awhile, but then I start getting consistent good finishes and even a couple wins, then I quit for awhile and do it again. 5th in points in my current season after 13 races. 3 wins, and 3 finishes outside the top 10 including a DNF at Baku. I don't want to win constantly, and I don't want to lose constantly. I want to find my happy medium and stay there.

Posted (edited)
On 8/20/2019 at 8:44 PM, DarkRedslayer said:

Nonsense. This is the mode that you earn money and upgrades in. I am not playing against other people. If I am, they are terrible, because even though I have only 4 hours in the game, with at least 30 minutes of that just tweaking my wheels settings to get a good feel, I'm winning short rallies by an average of 15 seconds and long ones by 30-45 seconds, The one I just did, I was down 16 seconds after rolling my car, and finished 30 seconds ahead after crashing through a fence and losing another 6 seconds or so. I won the last 'event' (the second in rally) by over 2 minutes at the end.

This is why the lack of difficulty sliders are stupid. I want it like F1, where I can find a happy medium and roll on. Some races I run **** because I don't play for awhile, but then I start getting consistent good finishes and even a couple wins, then I quit for awhile and do it again. 5th in points in my current season after 13 races. 3 wins, and 3 finishes outside the top 10 including a DNF at Baku. I don't want to win constantly, and I don't want to lose constantly. I want to find my happy medium and stay there.

You actually can fine tune the difficulty on a point scale like F1 when you do custom championships in freeplay (offline) mode.  The My Team mode essentially prepares you for competing in the daily / weekly / monthly challenges and that is its purpose.  Custom championships lets you do whatever you want, except earn money that you use in My Team to prepare you for daily / weekly / monthly challenges.  🙂

Edited by lilfurbal
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, lilfurbal said:

You actually can fine tune the difficulty on a point scale like F1 when you do custom championships in freeplay (offline) mode.  The My Team mode essentially prepares you for competing in the daily / weekly / monthly challenges and that is its purpose.  Custom championships lets you do whatever you want, except earn money that you use in My Team to prepare you for daily / weekly / monthly challenges.  🙂

It literally says career. Custom championships will never be equivalent to a career mode, ever.

Anyway ... Is there anyway to stop the co driver from randomly going up like 300% volume? It only happens on a couple courses in a certain area. I feel like the problem is aplified by the fact that I play on 5.1 surround, and most of the callouts come through the front speaker, but when it goes louder it comes out the right/left and front at the same time.

Posted (edited)
On 8/20/2019 at 9:44 PM, DarkRedslayer said:

you are confusing online multiplayer in the custom championships (freeplay) with the daily/weekly/monthly community challenges in my team. you are talking about the first one, and the others are talking about the second. 

also, try the historic championships. it's more like career mode in Dirt 4.

On 8/17/2019 at 4:53 PM, DarkRedslayer said:

Bah, dumbest set up of all time. Means the career mode is only fun the first time I play the game. Next time I come back in the mood for rally I won't be competitive at all with the difficulty the game will be.

so what? you can retire all the events in the championship and it will move you down into the lower difficulty levels. or you can practise in other game modes before going back to career. or you can just do the career mode and use that as practice. it's not like it changes anything whether you finish 5th or 25th - you just get less cash at the end and you stay at the same difficulty level.

Edited by ianism

Yeah, I also wanted to suggest "historic championship" mode. There is an option to set difficulty. default is 70% afaik.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, ianism said:

you are confusing online multiplayer in the custom championships (freeplay) with the daily/weekly/monthly community challenges in my team. you are talking about the first one, and the others are talking about the second. 

also, try the historic championships. it's more like career mode in Dirt 4.

so what? you can retire all the events in the championship and it will move you down into the lower difficulty levels. or you can practise in other game modes before going back to career. or you can just do the career mode and use that as practice. it's not like it changes anything whether you finish 5th or 25th - you just get less cash at the end and you stay at the same difficulty level.

I'm not confusing anything. It literally says career lol. I am not doing any of the community challenges because I don't care about them or anything else online.

Screenshot (32).png

Edited by DarkRedslayer

All of My Team is considered Career to a degree, but the Single-Player portion is directly labelled as such.

For those that want to battle human times, Community Challenges allow them to do so while still making progress in their cars and engineers. 🙂