Sign in to follow this  

DiRT Rally feedback list

Sound deffinately needs tweaking a bit, outside the car in chase cam sounds good but anything else sounds a bit off is you ask me. Hopefully there's a few more graphical updates as well, it seems to be under utilising todays graphics card. If this is a "next gen" game i would hope to not be able to run it on mostly ultra settings at 2560x1080 on a r9 280x (especially as its an early access title). I know that sounds a bit stupid but looking to upgrade graphics card later this year or maybe early next year and want another reason to do so.

You have to put the telemetry data, as in this video. Down-Left.

https://youtu.be/l-ElHl-IVkI

In custom event is important to put the advanced system tuning as in the career.

Game so far works great.

I would like to see 1 small improvement tho, it's the trees. I dont know if it's a shader thing or lighting / global lighting thing. but on some occasions the trees colors looks kind of  "flat", which makes the trees look more "copied" across the map.

Here on the left you can see it a bit, the tree trunks and tree leaves look a bit flat colored.

The pic below in the distance you can clearly see dark green trees (flat colored) and it looks kinda copied compared to the trees/bushes next to the car which look more detailed.

Well I finally found a setup for FFb that works ok, and the physics feel much better with a wheel WHEN you get the FFb working "ok".  It is not great FFB at all no matter what. It needs a huge overhaul.

BUT, I used my Fanatec CSR in G25 emulation mode, used one of the "fixed" effectsetup files  (the one from Race Department), and then I was able to adjust in some acceptable FFB, at least enough to drive and not be cursing at the FFB the entire time.

There are still major physics issues, especially concerning overall balance of the cars and how they react with handbrake turns and lateral grip front to back is all over the place. Seems weight transfer of the car is absent or broken or not working correctly in the this physics model - or something..  It just will not do what a real car in real life will do.  You cannot regain front grip by slowing down and shifting weight forward like you should be able to do, you cannot regain rear grip by accelerating and shifting weight rearward, you cannot reliably pull the handbrake and then do a nice 4 wheel drift with opposite lock through the corner like you can in a real AWD car. It just is not that difficult in real life! It is SIMPLE in real life for me on snow or dirt/ gravel in my Impreza that has a lot less power and weighs a lot more than the Impreza in this game.   In fact I induce those nice drifting opposite lock turn w/o using the handbrake AT ALL in real life (because I do not want to damage/wear my center diff), I just use weight shifting and throttle! Try that around a hairpin in Dirt Rally!  No, you will just understeer off the freaking road because weight shift and balance is screwed up .. Like FUBAR. I hope not though, but it is bad.  Some parts of physics and driving are ok though.. or at least not too bad. I wish they would hurry up and fix this stuff.

Why don;t the devs go to a rally shcool, and see what it's like to pull handbrake and go around a hairpin? Or ask instructor how to do it without a handbrake, just using throttle and weight shift, or perhaps a modified Scandinavian flick? Then you would know how the game should react. Or just boot up RBR or Dirt3 even!

Here's a tip, don't listen to what a "real rally driver" says when he drives the game.. Most of them suck at rally sims and have no idea what is correct in a sim or game because they have no experience in them  or frame of reference, or if they do it is limited.. hell  I could smoke most "Professional Rally drivers" in a RBR!  Get a really good Sim Racer to check your physics for you, they will probably be able to feel things in a sim and FFB wheel that a real driver won't.

At this point transplanting Dirt 3 physics would be a huge step up, well, maybe the braking distances would be too short, but the actual driving dynamics are much more realistic. I think you screwed with the physics sliders to much.. and some forces are overpowering others.

If Codemasters,give at the modders the possibility of  modify the physical and the sound of the car,RBR is dead!  ;)

(I tried to post this earlier with links to photos, somehow it is still not autorised? so I try again, this time unfortunately without the links)

After more thinking and watching footage on YouTube I found some more points to give feedback on.

Active spectators
They look not very active. Maybe give them a bit more live with campsite fires and bengal torches (with smoke effects), horns or cowbells, flashes from cameras, etc. Maybe make this location unique. Every culture or country's have their unique fans and attributes. 

Vehicle classes menu
I like the menus in overall, though I don't really like the vehicle classes menu. Hope this will be changed to something different and has more the same style as the other menus.

Vehicle repair menu
I get the idea of the repair menu with the percentages, but I believe it is not really realistic. How do you want to improve your bodywork with one percent? It's more a question of repairing (or quick fix with tape), servicing or replacing with new parts. Same goes for wheels. You get a fresh set of tyres on new rims. You can't add a percentage of rubber on an existing wheel. 

Maybe the best example are the brakes. You can see a percentage of how good the brakepads or discs still are. When they are about 40% left, they are critical, so than it's a choice of replacing them or not. You can't improve a brakedisc with 5 percent. 

Also when you are between rallies the car needs to get completly fixed and get ready and prepared for the next rally, that also costs money. 

Vehicle setup menu
This early version of the menu looks good. Though I miss a few things. You can't see any values. Also there are no vertical stripes to suggest if you are in the middle or 25%, etc. Next to that as most of use a button for the handbrake, maybe there can also be a setup option for the handbrake setting, how strong it should be when you press the button. I also miss downforce (though I don't really know if this is really adjustable with f.e. the WRC cars) , ride hight and tyre choice. Otherwise maybe a quick set-up menu overview, and next to that a more detailed set-up menu?

Flat tyre / spare tyres?
When you get a flat tyre on the stage maybe you can replace it, but you get a penalty of 30 seconds. Or you have the choice to continue, so the flat tyre will be replaced between the stages. Also in the set-up menu you can choose how many spare tyres (one or two) you take with you. Between the stages you have the option to change the older tyres with fresh ones. This might bring tactical decision in events. 

Active service area
Just like in V-Rally 3. You see the service area where you can watch your mechanics working on your car, the weather report and the upcoming stages, choose your tyres, think about set-up changes (limited amount of changes between stages, unlimited before the rally and at the end of every rally day), etc. Also when you are in the beginning of your career there are not so many fans, but when you progress there are more and more fans.

This is it for now. 

BWX said:
Why don;t the devs go to a rally shcool, and see what it's like to pull handbrake and go around a hairpin? Or ask instructor how to do it without a handbrake, just using throttle and weight shift, or perhaps a modified Scandinavian flick? Then you would know how the game should react. Or just boot up RBR or Dirt3 even!

https://twitter.com/Kick_Up/status/592793893634203651/photo/1

Pic of 2 of the dev's on a nice relaxing drive in their 95 Scooby. The guy on the right is Head Dev, guy on left is named in D3 as 1 of the drivers. He earned that by beating all the other guys that tested D3 in a test that was arranged for members of this forum.

Hi All!
BUG : Have to reconfigure controls each time i launch the game, after the lates update.
BUG : Crashes when select Save and exit to main menu  

TRANSLATION GLITCH: In Italian "Ricomincia" means "Restart", you should rather use "Continua partita salvata" to say "Continue saved game" or just  "Continua" 

Keep up the good work guys!

BWX said:

Here's a tip, don't listen to what a "real rally driver" says when he drives the game.. Most of them suck at rally sims and have no idea what is correct in a sim or game because they have no experience in them  or frame of reference, or if they do it is limited.. hell  I could smoke most "Professional Rally drivers" in a RBR!  Get a really good Sim Racer to check your physics for you, they will probably be able to feel things in a sim and FFB wheel that a real driver won't.

So you're saying that a rally driver with real world experience of driving a rally car, can't say how a car should feel in a game, but someone who just sits in front of a computer screen, and hasn't driven a competition car in his life, can tell the devs exactly how a rally car should handle. Well that certainly gave me a chuckle. Thanks. 

And im sure you could 'smoke most professional drivers in RBR' probably because RBR isn't realistic. 

Here's what i have come up with so far:

- Fix the non existent FFB
- Make wheel animation + 180 degrees
- Incar seat adjustment (view)
- Ability to adjust degrees of rotation ingame (now we have to exit game and do it in the wheel profiler each time).
- An option for pace note frequency (minimal talking for example).

Here is my short list:

A little more anti-lag sound, and turbo chirping 
User placeable cameras or at least selectable from any of the spots along the stage, even if car is not in view.
Slow motion cameras
Driver name on windows
Voice actor in menus giving explanations and on stage intro - miss this
Service and setup 'atmosphere' animated like CM05
Get Vermont Sportscar involved again 
Colin McRae historic car pack for charity again maybe
Livery editor with template import and decal import, or Steamworkshop Liveries import, what ever, just make it easy to select a new file in game and import it, ADDING to current liveries not overwriting.
when you crash stuff should fly around the cockpit (major crashes) small stuff like your go pro hanging by its teather or pace notes getting disshoveled
when you crash codriver should react a little, even 'nerves of steel @kickup should react to gravity a little, ask Nicky Grist 

Nitpicky:
Cars seem a little to glossy/shiny, most rally cars (top drivers and all) are a bit dull, just from abuse, maybe its just too much reflection and BECAUSE RALLY :)

Degrees of rotation and gearbox type automatically changing depending on the car would be amazing feature.
Also ability to move camera and FOV slider that actually tells you what FOV you have would be nice :smiley: 
I would also love to see ouninpohja but 34km is probably too much :smiley: 
Also it would be amazing if there was option to mod at least co driver, I was using the same modded one in RBR for years and I have hard time paying attention to this one, don't get me wrong this game has best co driver from all the rally games but I am just not used to him :smile: 

Replay are orrible.More Panoramic!
When I change the gear and motor speed are wrong, the motor must fuse.
Put the advanced setup of the car also in custom events.
Give the opportunity to create real championships offline

Mud banks (edges of the roads/gravel) are too unrealistic, flipping your car over a little bump

Great job guys, and thanks for listening to the fans! This is what we've been asking for for so long! I spent hundreds of hours on ColinMcRae 2005, and playing Dirt Rally I could recognise some of the stages and corners! Almost cried tears of nostalgia:p The dedication to proper sim handling and rally stages is fantastic. Already a great game at this early stage and I expect it will only get better. Keep it up, and please keep it pure! ie no ken blockery and idiotic gymkhana. 
Cheers

some more feedback 
-Mini Cooper, the handbrake need to be fix, now it only stop the car, just a little bit of slide, even on ice.
-The recovery button, it doesn't work all the time, sometimes you need to press start and recover from there 
-co-pilot turn signals on screen, please let the signals stay until the turn, sometimes I forget the direction (and number) and I make a disaster.

PLEASE fix the weight of the cars, every time you hit something you start flying even if you drive at 20km/h, RedBull is the official sponsor of the game?

Fantastic game. Keep it that way: hard and unforgiving. 
Suggestions: some wildlife (a la Sega Rally), and service tents - it would be cool to be able to park the car inside them and then have the repair options pop up . Small details like those help build the ambiance. Stages are great so far. Please keep focusing on quality and not on quantity. I'd rather have fewer stages but good ones.
All right let's return to racing. Thanks.

Hey Guys, 

Really great game, although I'm using gampad, and steering is to slow  and its really hard to drive, can you make some steering speed slider for gamepad profile ?

Cheers

Hi! Testing this amazing game (early access for now) i found a little bug. The car oversteers because i put on the setup moore brake on the rear tyres, but when the car is oversteering, without crash to the "fence" (word of google traduction, it's correct?), the "fence" is broken for no reason.
And other little bug is, when i loose the car, with full trottle i try to move on without put the reverse gear, but the car don't spin, even on the snow! it happens with a lot of cars. I hope you can solve it, this game is absolutly amazing, thank you for this work and i hope that it helps.

Link youtube of what i'm trying to say:
http://youtu.be/O0rvcWkUeGU
sorry for my bad english.

r0zen said:
Hey Guys, 

Really great game, although I'm using gampad, and steering is to slow  and its really hard to drive, can you make some steering speed slider for gamepad profile ?

Cheers
Options, Controls, Advanced Gamepad Settings.

r0zen said:
Hey Guys, 

Cheers
Options, Controls, Advanced Gamepad Settings.

I have only steering sensitivity and linearity, both maxed out and it still takes ages to make sharp quick turns

edit:
I've tried all combination for sensitivity and linearity but still its to slow, just to demonstrate (these are not my videos)
I believe this is wheel and you can see almost instant counter steer (1:50)  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_DMFEWR1RE&feature=youtu.be&t=1m49s

here on pad it takes a while (2:30)
 https://youtu.be/wErM_mLYBQQ?t=2m30s

I've just installed and played the game. Graphics and ambiance are so good but the game is rediciously hard. With every single thing I do cause the car's accident rather than being the first, i couldnt even finish the stages. I don't want so much thing, i just want DIRT 2 car controls. please. İn the first time I was so excited but now, İ don't think i will play it anymore. please fix the car controls.

An idea i had which would add a whole other dimension to multiplayer especially league racing.

-Team Management feature: enable simulation of teams for leagues where a player (driving or non driving) manages a team of 2 or 3 of the same cars, with try outs where they can view onboard the runs of their selected drivers, and choose the drivers who will be given a race seat in one of their cars. Drivers can do tryouts for whoever invites them, and can choose to accept or decline any contract offers. Manager able to fine/hire drivers mid season should anyone consistently retiring or showing absence (but must prove a valid reason for doing this action).   Some form of upgrades system for the team over a championship where progress is chosen by the manager, choose who gets the upgrades first and the upgrade focus of their development team. Service crews are also hired by him/her. Could even include completely controllable driver salary contracts in a budget system for the manager which includes driver pay, repairs, crew pay, development costs etc
-Could include Driver numbers, whether chosen by every driver, or decided during setup of a league championship. 

This idea would be quite a big feature to develop but i think it would add a hugely authentic element to the game that a lot of players would love.