Sign in to follow this  

DiRT Rally feedback list

KapitanH said:
Hello everyone,

it would be nice to be able to choose the helicopter view exclusively in a replay. Is 'A true broadcast style replay' of this list already adressing this?

Regards,
Kai
Codemaster's gave us a choice a while back to choose between more Replay options or Rally school, most picked Rally school. Who knows they may add better replays in the future.

Finnish language for finnish players, after all we are huge rallyfans here! I want to be part of the translation team.

KapitanH said:
Hello everyone,

it would be nice to be able to choose the helicopter view exclusively in a replay. Is 'A true broadcast style replay' of this list already adressing this?

Regards,
Kai
Codemaster's gave us a choice a while back to choose between more Replay options or Rally school, most picked Rally school. Who knows they may add better replays in the future.
I would much rather have more trackside cameras in replay than a rally school.

I know some of what im going to say  has been already said, but I'm going to repeat and reinforce them.
I played 2 days, 9 hours total, I have read a very very lot of real racing and car behaviour in all ways, I come from AC but im going straight to what I want to say:

- FORCE FEEDBACK for me is the FIRST prority, it's the only way to feel the car and it's really very dead at the moment, you can't feel hits or what is going on under your wheels and you cannot almost feel its behaviour, without a good force feedback this game wont save itself to be tagged as arcadey.

- DEGREES OF ROTATION it has to be the same as the real car, or at least more than the actual degrees.

- CONFIGURE CAR AERODYNAMICS specially for hillclimb cars, its the most noticeable thing and almost the first you need to config without make your car way strange at different situations and to be able to get some oversteer!!

- MANUAL CLUTCH not an automatic clutch with an annoyingly slow gear change that upsets the car and so we can do power shifting

- AND there are a strange and annoying thing: when you move for example a quarter of your steering wheel really 
fast, the game moves the wheel a little more and goes back correcting it, it gives you a really strange behaviour specially at low degrees of rotation.

The rest of the game is amazing knowing it have 2 months old, very good job, amaaaaaziiiiing, and physics are very great to begin

PD: Sorry for my wrong english :blush: 

Can we please have some decent headlights on the mini countryman like the ford fiesta has? I can't see anything in night stages, I can't get a higher spot then 6th place on master, it's literately not drivable.

please rework the dense snow effect, it has a kind of moiré effect and it´s unbelievable hard for my eyes especially on night stages.

I want to be able to play any track and car with global leader boards that I've unlocked. An animation for each track and car would be nice too. Something like dirt 3s slomo drifting cars but for each car and track I pick. Pretty much single track time trial with global leader board similar or better than Race room racing experience. If I practice a single track even in offline mode I want the global leader board for that track and car updated if I got a better position when I go online. And any time I select a car I want best global positions I've got with the car details. Same thing with tracks. I want my ghost and be able to challenge any other players ghost on the global leader board too.

I have a problem with configuration, I can't asign a pedal for clutch...
This is mine rig...
http://i.imgur.com/4Gi0Cqr.jpg

(I have posted it yet in another thread), as you can see, I have a Logitech G27 with other pedals, in this case Fanatec Clubsport Pedals v1.0, well... 

When I calibrate my wheel, the game recognizes the wheel and the pedals as a group, and you don't have to asign any button because the game do it for you and you don't have to do anything.... but when this thing happens (in my rig) I don't have clutch, brake and throtle, I have to reasign later in the general configuration. And I can asign brake and throtle, but there is no button to asign for clutch, with a configuration like mine (with wheel and pedals with different makers ) is no possible to asign a clutch...

I think that the solution is simple, just make a configuration button to asign a clutch, independently of what rig combination you have (Logitech, Fanatec, Thrustmaster,...)

First off, I'd just like to +1 on Australian Rally tracks, especially the ones from DiRT 1. Pleeeease! :)

Other than that, I have a couple of suggestions that I haven't seen mentioned so far..
I realise these maybe things that may have already existed and been changed before I got the game, I don't know...

Just a couple of game menu-related things:
1. I'd like to see a return to the Recall / Save / Cancel menu for the User Setups (like DiRT 3)... as I've found with DiRT Rally when using a 360 pad, its really easy to overwrite my setups after I've made them. Granted, its not like its something that one cannot get out of the habit of doing with practice, I personally just think its the safer option for everyone.
2. Once the player has unlocked the Advanced Setup options... I think it would be great if these just dropped down underneath the Basic Setup Option Heading (if that makes sense) rather than going to another "page" (for lack of a better term).

Cheers for DiRT Rally, Codemasters... I'd been hanging for a new Rally gaming fix and thought I'd have to wait ages for a game on PS4 to come out. Was both stoked AND chuffed when I found out there was ALREADY one in Early Access on PC! Woo-freaking-hoo! :)

If I complain about hill climb I get told to practice more . . . but that isn't the answer.

It goes like this, in the main game I'm working my way through the elite section, but cannot get out of clubman in the hill climb.
The way I see it is CM know sims are harder than arcade so stuck a couple of their best guys behind the wheel and used them to decide how hard hill climb would be . . . only problem is that asking how hard a sim should be is like asking how long is a piece of string.

Consider this, I am regularly 600th-700th in hill climb and cannot get to pro level from clubman [forget elite and masters], and there are over 30,000 playing the game which means a potential of 29,000+ who will never get out of clubman . . . so the length of that piece of string has been set wrongly.
This effectively makes the hill climb totally elitist for around 500 players, and effectively a waste of time and space.
However, I do not expect anything to be done about this.

Some of the guys on our site are finding discrepancy after discrepancy with the correlation between the different measurement visuals for speed of vehicle, things just don't add up.
There isn't much desire to send in reports because Loore has left and faith in biglee to keep a 2 way dialogue going is virtually zero.
Some of the guys are of a mind to pass on info to people in the forum but whether they do or not is debatable as the general consensus seems to be one of resignation . . . a sort of enjoy the game for what it is and then move on because sure as hell CM will move on just when we think we are getting somewhere.

Something else which needs fixing is the third stage of the hill climb . . . who the hell decided to throw shade across the track, some of us have bad eyesight or one eye . . in my case both.

Hi, I'm trying to race as realistically as possible which means:

1. I need to know the correct handbrake information for the car. By that I mean which cars really had a handbrakes that could be used while racing (like in hairpins).
2. Also need info for realistic transmission choice for every car.  Meaning which ones had H-shifter+clutch, direct H-shifter(no clutch), sequential stick, or paddle-shifter(s).

It's so difficult to find all this data just by myself from internet so I'm hoping that Codemasters would share that information if they already have it. Or they could get it more easily by asking from old rally drivers.
Thanks for a great game.

I've worked out where I think the problem lies.
CM have tried to create a sim by placing cars in a sim type discipline but on an old arcade ego engine.
This engine works on AI challenging until you pass them all and hold them off, at that point the AI will fall back, you have all experienced this in CM SP racing.
The same principle is at play in this game [only this time it's just names on a board]  and on the hill climb it's all about being skilful and aggressive in the first section to get a good green time, say 5secs+ which will trigger the engine to drop back the AI, maintain a reasonable speed for the rest of the stage and you'll finish in the top 3, probably 1st.

I kept finishing 4th with a whole load of varying times, I then went totally aggressive and got 6secs up on the first section, drove as I'd driven in all the times I came 4th, and came 1st . . but not with the 1min+ times the AI recorded when beating me [ if they were capable of previously beating me by over 1min why didn't they catch me ? . . . because, like I said, give the engine the right circumstances and it will drop the AI back]
tried this a few times and it repeated the same.

For this to be a sim the AI would need one hell of a lot of reprogramming, they would need better parameters than something gleaned from 10 years ago . . . which, of course, they will not get.
I see some very nice rally tracks, longer sections, Dirt 3 handling dumbed down to appear sim-like . . . in short, not a sim but another CM fabrication.

Wow, that's damning. I was just beginning to experiment with this myself to try and work out how the AI work but haven't had time for a couple of weeks. Surely an AI working this way would be more difficult to programme than one based on either delta times or a pre-determined baseline number and tweaked based on AI abilities/variables?

Wow, that's damning. I was just beginning to experiment with this myself to try and work out how the AI work but haven't had time for a couple of weeks. Surely an AI working this way would be more difficult to programme than one based on either delta times or a pre-determined baseline number and tweaked based on AI abilities/variables?
I'm one from a RBR background so if it seems damning it's only because if you want to approach the sim world don't sprinkle it with arcade dust . . . and don't dumb down arcade physics and call it sim.

It's no real problem, when you have been around CM games for 7 years or longer you get to know the strokes they pull. Dirt Rally is what it is and as such is still good fun and worth playing and continuing the ride unless it gets totally ridiculous.

I was with pcars development for over 3 years so know that now they are making pcars 2, which will concentrate on Rally, we will be in for something very special in that genre . . . but for now enjoy Dirt Rally, but don't believe it to be something it is not.

To give you an idea of how it is . . . Codemasters laid down the road map for Dirt Rally and invited  suggestions from us, making it all seem like a game based around player feedback . . .but have said that our suggestions might be implemented further down the line.
With pcars about 87,000 of us still have a very private forum where what is said there, stays there . . .  and this is a WMD/SMS forum, so our feedback is still going directly to the company. Everyone else just gets the official pcars forum.

My point is there are ways of doing things and ways of doing things . . . one listens, one pretends to listen . . .

Something else to consider . . .

Some of the guys on our site can take a crash at the start putting them around 19 secs in the red but still finish 20secs+ ahead [in hill climb masters] at the finish . . but these guys are at the top of the leaderboard so should show this kind of talent.
In other words they can walk all over whatever system is in place.

Because of this I see no point in an arcade type of trying to make it competitive in the ancient Toca method.
Decide on a realistic run time for each rank on hill climb and work around that, it becomes ridiculous when I can come 1st with just a couple seconds to spare [when my times haven't improved enough to justify that], against AI who can come 1st by over a minute [when I haven't been fast enough in the first sector to trigger an AI hold back].

I'm from an RBR background too; I've never played a DiRT game, so was trying to work that out. RBR's AI was easily customised in the text files, and could be made very true to life with some tweaking (I made field for 2011-2014 WRC). It was simple to see how it worked and I don't understand why it needs to be anything more complex.

With regards to Project CARS; meh. I have been involved in that one since early days too but that's become more and more obsessed with mass marketing appeal and I can't say I'd have high hopes for the second one; it's a jack of all trades but master of none'. If you're into circuit racing, by the way, check out R3E this weekend - all content is free and it has the best circuit AI in sim racing for me (narrowly beating a very tweaked GTR2 and rFactor2). All of these games have a minor degree of 'rubber banding', but with the latter you can at least just turn it off.

I have no problems with the driving model of DiRT Rally, but in terms of AI and competitions, it's one of the few things that is preventing it being more immersive to me. I pay no heed to split times, but I'll start looking at them and having a play.

It would be nice if the audience were looking in the direction you're coming from and not just at whatever is on the opposite side of the road. 

It would be nice if the audience were looking in the direction you're coming from and not just at whatever is on the opposite side of the road. 
When nothing is questioned it becomes a dictatorship . . . and advancement becomes compromised without the fresh and different input of ideas.

I took a philosophical take on your comment where you probably just meant the crowds at the side of the track, lol . .

I was playing today and struggling with the pace notes on a particular section of a Wales stage when I made a realisation. The pace notes are designed for the driver to be going at a set speed through each corner. If you have a prang or are just learning the game, the pace notes can feel wildly off at times and make you turn too early for some corners. What could fix this is if the game detects the current car speed for a corner approach and adjusts the pace note delay to compensate (like a real co-driver would). I don't think this would be too hard to implement.

Basically you would have a top speed as the current pace note locations, then set a low speed approach which sets the pace notes closer to the corners and then calculate the difference between the drivers current speed and the top speed/low speed to calculate the location when the notes should appear. This would make the game more newcomer friendly and also help players to trust the co-driver when they are learning a new stage or having a few bad corners. Currently, getting my rhythm thrown off by the occasional premature pace note is my number 1 beef with this game. And yes I do realise that you can adjust the delay of the pace notes globally, what I am talking about is a system that is adaptive to the current car speed. Even better would be an adaptive early pace note if you are driving at an incredibly reckless speed so you have some chance of slowing down in time for that cliff.

We have found this happening at certain places on certain tracks but with practice we know the tracks so the notes are just a reminder to keep us on the ball.
The timings tend to go off when there are a lot of twists and turns so if you are either fast or slow [midway speed works ok] the problem tends to occur.
Compared to some games the timings are workable but maybe need a few tweaks . . .  

When nothing is questioned it becomes a dictatorship . . . and advancement becomes compromised without the fresh and different input of ideas.

I took a philosophical take on your comment where you probably just meant the crowds at the side of the track, lol . .
That, sir, is an awesome post.

That, sir, is an awesome post.
Whether compliment or sarcasm I thank you . . . just my good nature, lol . .

Just did all stages in the weekly event and more and more I have in my head the remarks some guys have made about RBR now being outdated.
Crazy as it might seem Dirt Rally, if done right, could become one of the best Rally games available.

There will always be the physics anoraks finding fault with anything but ignoring that and just playing the game has a very satisfying feel.
One thing I do know, I have watched plenty of YT vids made by some of the best in the game and the fact that they can go at such a speed, sliding from side to side and always on the edge of grip [just like the real thing] tells me this is a very good game simply because the game accommodates exactly what is required.

Sure there are plenty of bits and pieces which need sorting but the main frame of the game is solid, so I hope CM see this one through . .I'm having a blast . . . and its been a long time.

BUG REPORT

Rain effects are still bugged using an SLI setup (everything maxed out, advanced blending off). Rain effects 'flicker' and it seems to rain twice as hard using SLI. Disabling SLI removes 'flickering' and rain effects are shown properly.

(Titan X SLI driver version 353.30, DiRT Rally v0.50/0.5.106.8706)

Please let me know if more info is needed or if I need to post this bug report somewhere else.

Every now and then a real gem pops up, but if it's not recognized as such it doesn't get the support it needs for longevity.
I can remember reading one of my then pc mags heralding in Toca 3. It emphasized the fact that it was different from the other similar games around at that time and suggested employing some patience to get used to it as it was/is a very satisfying game . . . people did and they loved it.

Then came Grid 1 which in some mags was pitched as the next in the Toca line, although most of us failed to see any similarity. However, the game was a legend and picked up a Bafta . . . unfortunately, Codemasters completely mismanaged the potential of what they had and very much in an egotistical, " we know best and will go in another direction", allowed Grid 1 to sink . . but I can't add "without trace" because the game is still alive and thriving on tunngle and other online platforms.

Dirt 1 and 2 and 3 were/are good games but, enter another stroke of genius, a gem with a classic format but with almost recent gfx (almost because of old ego engine), called, Dirt Rally.
Now Codemasters have their, "on the road to Damascus" moment, and this time I hope they realize the potential of what they have created and don't drop the ball on this one . . . this game could go a long way.