Sign in to follow this  

DiRT Rally - Force Feedback

Question

Soo..First of all. Great sound, graphics are also good. But...what's with the Force Feedback? I have a Fanatec CSR, and I have no feeling for the car at all. I've tried a lot of settings for the wheel, but, I don't know. It's like driving without any Force Feedback, just a little bit of resistance in the wheel. I don't know if I'm the only person with that problem, but this really has to be fixed if this game should be a simulator.

Yeah i have a Fanatec CSW2 and the forcefeedback feels very disconnected from the physics. Maybe the physics are great and realistic, but i can´t feel it in the wheel. 

- No Feeling of weight transfer. Should lighten up when accelerating and has to be stronger when braking.
- Why is the FFB so damped and strong when countersteering? Feels disconnected and unprecise
- On little jumps the ffb should lighten completly and in depressions you should feel a higher resistance
- Why is the ingame wheel shaking and i can´t feel anything of that in my FFB wheel? These effects are completly faked because the physics should effect my forcefeedback and only when my wheel shakes, the ingame wheel should shake with it!!! Those canned fake effects are an absolutely no-go in a simulation.

There have to be more options for FFB in the menus

As he said, Graphics are really good and sounds are one of the best of all racing games. I would say the biggest issue you have to work on is the FFB

Agreed. Right now, it feels like a centering spring with vibration, and nothing more. If it had a feel at least like DiRT 3, then that'd be a considerable improvement.

@DannNimmDenName - you summed up what I was going to type, no steering FFB at all with the CSWv2

@EthanDean57 -  what wheel do you have as I have zero centering spring on the CSWv2.

Yeah i have a Fanatec CSW2 and the forcefeedback feels very disconnected from the physics. Maybe the physics are great and realistic, but i can´t feel it in the wheel. 

- No Feeling of weight transfer. Should lighten up when accelerating and has to be stronger when braking.
- Why is the FFB so damped and strong when countersteering? Feels disconnected and unprecise
- On little jumps the ffb should lighten completly and in depressions you should feel a higher resistance
- Why is the ingame wheel shaking and i can´t feel anything of that in my FFB wheel? These effects are completly faked because the physics should effect my forcefeedback and only when my wheel shakes, the ingame wheel should shake with it!!! Those canned fake effects are an absolutely no-go in a simulation.

As he said, Graphics are really good and sounds are one of the best of all racing games. I would say the biggest issue you have to work on is the FFB
+1

same feeling 100%

Hello i have a Logitech G27 and it just feels like theres no force feedback at all even at 100% i don´t fell the bumps at all and steering is very soft. Also steering feels werid to the point its hard to make a hairpin, car doesnt seem to react correctly to my wheel.

MrPix said:

@DannNimmDenName - you summed up what I was going to type, no steering FFB at all with the CSWv2

@EthanDean57 -  what wheel do you have as I have zero centering spring on the CSWv2.

T500. I don't have centering spring set on in the profiler, or anything like that. I never run it for anything.

cswv2 is in game and recognised.... I'm messing with effectsetup.xml and am having 'some' luck in getting a kind of better feeling... but it needs proper input by codies.

EDIT: To summarise, with the CSWv2, I get surface traction (grip) when I should get traction loss (slip) I have not tried negative scales yet, but have got it feeling better, but nowhere near what it should be... it's inverse! Simple as!

EDIT2: even with negative scales, it feels better, but still inverse

Same here, T500. FFB weak and wrong.

Edit: Overall a giant step in the right direction though, well done.

I recall having to set my G25/G27 settings in some games to inverse FFB. I know that Codies (Southam) have mainly G25/G27 setups to test on.... maybe other wheel manufacturers have not been implemented fully yet as it is early access... this would make sense... I'm not going to pick this up again until Codies have addressed other wheels than Logitech.  10/10 till I see you again, over and out.

I have the Accuforce Wheel. Ingame I have a huge deadspot in the wheel. Maybe this wheel is not supported yet. I do not have any wheel settings ingame and everytime I start the game I have to rebind the controls they do not save! I hope this game gets proper API output to support Simxperience!  

I have the Accuforce Wheel. Ingame I have a huge deadspot in the wheel. Maybe this wheel is not supported yet. I do not have any wheel settings ingame and everytime I start the game I have to rebind the controls they do not save! I hope this game gets proper API output to support Simxperience!  
Hi. I have an Accuforce also.

I have created a workaround that removes the deadzone and gets the wheel going. You need to use the SimXperience FFB because the game FFB is so bad. The good thing is that the SimXperience FFB uses telemetry so you don't have any of this weak canned FFB that others are complaining about.

Make sure you turn on road bumps also because it really makes the game come alive.

It is a pretty long winded guide but it will get you going. Give me a PM either here or on ISRtv if you have any problems getting your Accuforce going.

Here is the link http://www.isrtv.com/forums/topic/17665-accuforce-and-non-supported-wheel-fix/

Same for me. T500RS.

Feels like centering spring and vibration. Very weak despite settings being high.

Just buy an Accuforce, then turn off the game FFB and turn on the SimXperience FFB and it works great. Tons of FFB then.

Problem solved  :p

+1 as well - hit the nail on the head. I have a T300RS though.

FYI - Here's the list of wheels that are currently supported, if anyone is interested.
https://www.dirtgame.com/uk/blog/4556

Agreed. 

DFGT here,  and you feel the road only when landing,  and if you go off the track . 

A bit of steering resistance is all i get. 

Worryingly, there doesn't seem to be any settings for road surface vibrations as there is in the earlier dirt and grid games.  See the effects xml file in the "feedback"  folder. Nothing there, and thus nothing to tweak like mods did in previous games. 

Don't understand this change !

Noticed exactly same lack of FFB with G25, There is an edited effectsetup.xml file on the Steam forum and else where which improves things.

Watched some Codemasters development vids and release day jitters vid this morning, they keep mentioning the good feel and you can tell difference between surfaces etc.

I think they may have released old FFB files with the current version instead of the current ones in use by development, from there comments and descriptions of the feedback this seems most likely.

With the wheel feedback we currently get, you may as well use an old non ffb wheel, which is what we used to play with years ago.

Guys, if you have poor or inverted FFB, please vote on the poll here: http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/5830/if-you-have-poor-or-inverted-force-feedback-please-indicate-what-wheel-you-have#latest

It may help the devs understand the breadth of the problem

It seems I managed to fix the issue with my Fanatec CSR wheel by adding CSR Wheel settings to the devicesetup.xml:
<!-- Fanatec CSR Wheel-->
<FFBDevice delay="0.0" scaleEffects="1.0" maxFriction="100.0" baseFriction="-25.0" scaleFriction="1.0" scaleForce="2.0" name="{00110EB7-0000-0000-0000-504944564944}"/>

I just copied the CSR wheel base settings.