Sign in to follow this  

DiRT Rally - Force Feedback

It seems I managed to fix the issue with my Fanatec CSR wheel by adding CSR Wheel settings to the devicesetup.xml:
<!-- Fanatec CSR Wheel-->
<FFBDevice delay="0.0" scaleEffects="1.0" maxFriction="100.0" baseFriction="-25.0" scaleFriction="1.0" scaleForce="2.0" name="{00110EB7-0000-0000-0000-504944564944}"/>

I just copied the CSR wheel base settings.

I think i fixed the inverted FFB for Fanatec CSW v2

File: devicesetup.xml in folder: \Steam\SteamApps\common\DiRT Rally\forcefeedback

<!-- Fanatec CSR Wheel Base v2 -->
<FFBDevice name="{00010EB7-0000-0000-0000-504944564944}" scaleForce="2.0"  scaleFriction="1.0"  baseFriction="0.0" maxFriction="100.0"  scaleEffects="1.0" delay="0.0"/>

i changed the baseFriction from -25 to 0.0

I think it gains the FFB near the Center position very much!

Please try and let me know if its fine for you to, :smile: 

Hadiii said:
I think i fixed the inverted FFB for Fanatec CSW v2

File: devicesetup.xml in folder: \Steam\SteamApps\common\DiRT Rally\forcefeedback

<!-- Fanatec CSR Wheel Base v2 -->
<FFBDevice name="{00010EB7-0000-0000-0000-504944564944}" scaleForce="2.0"  scaleFriction="1.0"  baseFriction="0.0" maxFriction="100.0"  scaleEffects="1.0" delay="0.0"/>

i changed the baseFriction from -25 to 0.0

I think it gains the FFB near the Center position very much!

Please try and let me know if its fine for you to, :smile: 

Nope, that does not fix it. I tried that on day 1. All that does is make the FFB stiffer to start with unfortunately.

Device setup for force feedback:

• name= Device name to display
  • scaleForce= scale of linear wheel forces on this device
  • scaleFriction= scale of friction forces on this device
  • baseFriction= base friction value, can be negative for even lighter feel
  • maxFriction= upper cap of friction values sent to device
  • scaleEffects= scale of effects' forces
  • delay= delay of force feedback in seconds

IMHO, the editable files contain nothing that will invert the FFB or make it right. There needs to be something in the source code of the game that recognises which way round it needs to be for which wheels.

hmm, interesting.

when i set maxFriction="100.0"  to "maxFriction="-100.0" i have inverted FFB.

There is a way of transforming the ffb...  Trust me, it's so strong,  you need to turn it down! 

See steam thread or racedepartment sites for 'modified ffb'  mod. 

Great start. 

xGabe62x said:
There is a way of transforming the ffb...  Trust me, it's so strong,  you need to turn it down! 

Great start. 
That is subjective.. the FFB mod seems to work for Logitech Wheels... but I don't have a Logitech wheel so slip/grip forces remain inverted.

Now i made my own FFB settings for the CSW v2, i can feel the car very good now.

You can try if you want.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9y1f3p0knr9es7l/DiRT%20Rallye%20CSW%20FFB.rar?dl=0

Ingame settings 50/80/60
Fanatec Settings: FF 100, SHO 60, DRI 002, FOR 80, SPR 100, DPR 100

If the car looses grip, the wheel strength is less.

Hadiii, I'm using a T500 and I just inserted your additional FFBSuspension lines, and I do feel an improvement. I also upped the FFBEffectSelfAligningTorque to 1.5 and it helped as well.

I'm about to try it with the aligning torque at 1.75 and another lower level of FFBsuspension:

<FFBSuspension device="wheel" scale="0.06" thresholdLow=".01" thresholdHigh=".07" freq="5" length="0.4" sample="suspensionWheel"/>

RE-EDIT: The extra-detailed FFBSuspension might be excessive and there is a balance to be found. I'm Also not sure I like what the self aligning torque force is doing as I increase it, I'd sure like to be able to change the caster angle on these cars and see what's up...

Hadiii said:
Now i made my own FFB settings for the CSW v2, i can feel the car very good now.

You can try if you want.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9y1f3p0knr9es7l/DiRT%20Rallye%20CSW%20FFB.rar?dl=0

Ingame settings 50/80/60
Fanatec Settings: FF 100, SHO 60, DRI 002, FOR 80, SPR 100, DPR 100

If the car looses grip, the wheel strength is less.

Well, I'm happy you posted this, it's far from perfect, but is the best yet for me... I changed the SAT to scale=2.0 instead of 1.0 and followed the rest of your file and settings in game and on the CSWv2 @ 540 SEN and it's definitely an improvement over anything else I've tried.

Thanks man.

MrPix said:
xGabe62x said:

Great start. 
That is subjective.. the FFB mod seems to work for Logitech Wheels... but I don't have a Logitech wheel so slip/grip forces remain inverted.
Ok,  didn't know that,  but for the me the main advantage of the mod is adding surface vibrations, which they appear to have completely forgotten! 

Guess if steering forces are still reversed,  switch off 'wheel strength'  until its sorted. There's an interesting video on YouTube showing a very good sim-driver demonstrating the difference between having the (reversed) steering ffb on vs switching it down to zero. 

It's not actually reversed, but some of the forces appear to be inverted, such as grip/slip have been swapped. I think if just this was sorted out, then everything else would suddenly snap into how it should be, but currently it's cancelling out a lot of other forces as it is mixed in to the overall FFB through the steering wheel.

Thanks so much Hadii I slightly modified your settings to work with my Fanatec GT2 and went from no feedback on center to feeling bumps!

*UPDATE* OK I played a few hours tonight. For about an hour I was in the zone, peeling through each corner hanging on my co-driver's words and manged to get a few 2nd places and podium finishes in career mode. Hadii's settings are the bomb! made the game imminently more playable. My GT2 wheel settings are currently: SEN:400deg, DRI:4, FF:80, SHO:60, SPR and DPR set to OFF.  Most fun I've had since Richard Burns rally. My r290 just eats up this game and spits it out...just glorious!

Hey, i'm glad you like it. :)

It cost me some hours to set it up properly... so thanks for your feedback. :smile: 

Much the same but with interesting observation for you - I got this game while I was using a G27, and actually the force feedback was all right. Twitchy and challenging but very playable, except for the problem with the G27 I had where the centre position is pretty dead and sloppy for the first 10-20 degrees. A known problem for the G27, which I hate. So - I spent good money and bought a new Thrustmaster T300RS, thinking now this will be great. BUT - it's way worse. It's like you all say, there is pretty much NO Force Feedback making it practically hopeless to play.  You just cant feel the track at all and no feedback. While on the other hand the T300RS has made RaceRoom so much more fun to play. That horrible centre dead zone has gone at last - fantastic. So Codemasters - how did you release this great looking game and long awaited for sim, with totally lousy Force Feedback? I mean - Really!  Come on get us a fix soon - I paid money for this after all.

matisch89 said:
Hello i have a Logitech G27 and it just feels like theres no force feedback at all even at 100% i don´t fell the bumps at all and steering is very soft. Also steering feels werid to the point its hard to make a hairpin, car doesnt seem to react correctly to my wheel.

I have this same wheel with same problem. I posted in another thread about it cause I didn't know about this one until today. My wheel feels really weird/bad in hairpins, and the feel almost feels backwards to what the car should be doing as far as ffb at most other parts of the track. I stopped playing cause I thought my wheel was broken, until I went to iracing/euro truck simulator 2 where everything felt fine again.

The wheel has little to no ffb, is real weak and sloppy at times if there is any ffb, and has a unfixable dead zone no matter what settings I use.

I have the Fanatec Porsche 911 Turbo S wheel. I hope you guys add official support for my wheel. The Force Feedback definitely needs some work. Incredible game. Probably the best car racing game I have ever played. 

Improve the FFB and add official support for more wheels and this will be the greatest rally game or racing game ever made,

I just read the "Road Book" and noticed this, which seems promising, from P. Coleman:

"One of the key areas we are focussing on at this early stage is how our Wheel Settings and Force Feedback are working in DiRT Rally. I’ll be honest, while we had poured a lot of effort into our new physics engine we hadn’t gotten round to unravelling our wheel settings and FFB and many of you have quite rightly noticed that the settings the game have shipped with are more suited to a console racer than a PC Sim. We want to get this right for you but to do it right we need to get under the hood and change the way that we do things. We’ve been reading your feedback, speaking the fans directly (big thanks to Betta Lines for his time) and we have a decent handle on how to improve things."

OK rwb, but when can we expect a fix, because as it is I cant play this game with my wheel (T300RS) and I did pay for the thing after all...

Good find @rwb very encouraging for the future.

burgor57 said:
OK rwb, but when can we expect a fix, because as it is I cant play this game with my wheel (T300RS) and I did pay for the thing after all...
You paid for an Early Access game. This means you need to be patient as bugs are worked out and features are implemented. Until it's complete, you may well encounter issues that prevent you from playing; your recourse is to open a bug report and wait for a fix. Probably not necessary in this case since they're aware of the issue, and there are workarounds to gain some on-center feel. I haven't the faintest clue when this will be fixed.

Once the game is "complete," and no longer in the Early Access phase, then we can all start complaining in earnest when stuff doesn't work.

burgor57 said:

Also in a post codemaster said it might not even be done before the hillclimb patch comes out.

Because they have a fair amount of changes to do to fix the FFB and they might even do a beta with the FFB before releasing it.

PERFECTION IN AN XML FILE. CODEMASTERS LEARN THESE SETTINGS PLEASE DONT MAKE IT WORSE. 
using T300RS  all settings maxed out on properties control panel. all max. in game set 100/100/100.  steering 450%

use these xml settings for a very much improved experience, better steering better force feedback effects, 
use notepad copy settings below into notepad. name it effectssetup replace orig xml with your new settings keep old xml settings by naming it effectssetup.old  ( into C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\DiRT Rally\forcefeedback\effectsetup.xml in word pad. )
Copy and paste settings below into your notepad. made by Derinahon
thankyou so much Derinahon brilliant.!

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<FFBEffects soloRampRate="1000" soloAttenuation="0">

<FFBEffectSelfAligningTorque device="wheel" scale="0.5"/>

<FFBlateral device="wheel" scale="1.0" velocityFactor="0.03" frictionGripScalar="70.0" frictionSurfaceScalar="5.0"/>

<FFBCollision device="wheel" scale="0.75" thresholdLow="0.6" thresholdHigh="10.0" damageZone="0" freq="15.0" length="0.3" sample="smallCollisionWheel"/>
<FFBCollision device="wheel" scale="0.75" thresholdLow="10.0" thresholdHigh="5000.0" damageZone="0" freq="10.0" length="0.6" sample="largeCollisionWheel"/>

<FFBSuspension device="wheel" scale="0.17" thresholdLow=".4" thresholdHigh="20.0" freq="5" length="0.4" sample="suspensionWheel"/>
<FFBSuspension device="wheel" scale="1.0" thresholdLow="2.5" thresholdHigh="20.0" freq="5" length="0.4" sample="suspensionWheel"/>

<FFBCollision device="wheel" scale="0.3" thresholdLow="0.01" thresholdHigh="0.6" damageZone="0" freq="20.0" length="0.1" sample="scrapeCollisionLow"/>
<FFBCollision device="wheel" scale="0.3" thresholdLow="0.01" thresholdHigh="0.6" damageZone="0" freq="20.0" length="0.1" sample="scrapeCollisionHigh"/>
<FFBCollision device="wheel" scale="1.0" thresholdLow="0.6" thresholdHigh="10.0" damageZone="0" freq="15.0" length="0.2" sample="smallCollisionLow"/>
<FFBCollision device="wheel" scale="1.0" thresholdLow="0.6" thresholdHigh="10.0" damageZone="0" freq="15.0" length="0.2" sample="smallCollisionHigh"/>
<FFBCollision device="wheel" scale="1.8" thresholdLow="10.0" thresholdHigh="5000.0" damageZone="0" freq="10.0" length="0.5" sample="largeCollisionLow"/>
<FFBCollision device="wheel" scale="1.8" thresholdLow="10.0" thresholdHigh="5000.0" damageZone="0" freq="10.0" length="0.5" sample="largeCollisionHigh"/>

<FFBSkid device="wheel" scale="1.2" thresholdLow="0.9" thresholdHigh="1.1" thresholdMin="3.0" freqLow="4" freqHigh="30.0" load="1.0" length="0.2" sample="skidBack"/>
<FFBSkid device="wheel" scale="1.6" thresholdLow="1.0" thresholdHigh="1.3" thresholdMin="3.0" freqLow="16.0" freqHigh="16.0" load="1.0" length="0.1" sample="skidFront"/>

<FFBSuspension device="wheel" scale="0.5" thresholdLow="1.8" thresholdHigh="20.0" length="0.25" freq="9" sample="suspensionR1"/>
<FFBSuspension device="wheel" scale="0.5" thresholdLow="1.8" thresholdHigh="20.0" length="0.25" freq="9" sample="suspensionL1"/>

<FFBRevs device="wheel" scale="0.15" thresholdLow="0.1" thresholdHigh="1.2" freqLow="1" freqHigh="18.0" scaleLow="0.2" scaleHigh="0.95" length="0.05" sample="revEffect"/>

<FFBSample name="scrapeCollisionLow" wave="9" envelope="61125521121"/>
<FFBSample name="scrapeCollisionHigh" wave="9" envelope="98721" channel="1"/>

<FFBSample name="smallCollisionLow" wave="9" envelope="986454321"/>
<FFBSample name="smallCollisionLow" wave="9" envelope="982312531"/>
<FFBSample name="smallCollisionHigh" wave="9" envelope="986454321" channel="1"/>
<FFBSample name="smallCollisionHigh" wave="9" envelope="982312531" channel="1"/>

<FFBSample name="skidBack" wave="9" envelope="0" channel="1" solo="1"/>
<FFBSample name="skidFront" wave="9" envelope="9" channel="1" solo="1"/>

<FFBSample name="largeCollisionLow" wave="9" envelope="98675462584" solo="1"/>
<FFBSample name="largeCollisionLow" wave="9" envelope="98765432629" solo="1"/>
<FFBSample name="largeCollisionHigh" wave="9" envelope="98675462594" channel="1" solo="1"/>
<FFBSample name="largeCollisionHigh" wave="9" envelope="98765432628" channel="1" solo="1"/>

<FFBSample name="suspensionR1" wave="9" envelope="9564720" channel="0"/>
<FFBSample name="suspensionL1" wave="1" envelope="9564720" channel="1"/>

<FFBSample name="revEffect" wave="91" envelope="9" channel="1"/>

<FFBSample name="smallCollisionWheel" wave="124689" envelope="97654321000"/>
<FFBSample name="largeCollisionWheel" wave="5697641345" envelope="9879987542312"/>

<FFBSample name="suspensionWheel" wave="64" envelope="9"/>

</FFBEffects>

@DannNimmDenName - you have summed up what I wanted to say, just no steering FFB at all. not even a centering spring effect with the CSWv2... @ EthanDean57... what wheel do you have my man?