Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Is this worth going back to?

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I have not played the game since before Wales got released even though i was desperate for Wales to come out as i loved it in DR. My main issues with the game before dropping it were...

1:  No Dashcam View

2: No FOV options

3: FFB never felt great

4: I adored Dirt Rally but felt the magic was lost in DR2

5: Just not that good at it tbh, DR i was always quite high in Leaderboards in this not so but im sure this is down to the cockpit camera rather than Dashcam as its just too far back. 

 

So with those points since i last played is it worth going back to? Id imagine the game has had many patches since i last played what kind of state is the game in now? How great is Wales? Worth going back just for that?

Edited by FLAW3D
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It depends on you. There's still no dashcam, no FOV options and has the same FFB it had when you stopped. So, if reasons 1-3 are the main reasons you stopped playing, then probably not.

The only way to answer 4 is to try the Welsh stages yourself and see if it feels like DR1 and 5 really requires the magic from reason 4 because you won't put the hours in if you're not feeling the love for the game.

Is it worth going back to just for Wales? Yes. There's no point in not playing your favourite stages in the game if you can.

  • Like 3
  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, RodgerDavies said:

Was this ever worth going away from?

Yes. Lack of FOV options, No dashboard cam and poor FFB...thats why im asking the question.

  • Disagree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, FLAW3D said:

No Dashcam View

Switch to bonnet, it is 10x better than either of the in cockpit cams

 

3 hours ago, FLAW3D said:

FFB never felt great

Make sure you put some time into your FFB settings. For Logi/TM they should be roughly,

SAT: 50-70 | WHEEL: 0-5 | TYRE: 40-60 | SUSP: 50-70 | COLL: whatever you want | CENTERING: off/disabled

Fanatec needs a bit different tweak,

SAT: 50-60 | WHEEL: 0-5 | TYRE: 125-150 | SUSP: 50-100 | COLL: whatever you want | CENTERING: off/disabled

with software settings of,

Sen - Auto | FF - 70 | Sho - 70 | Abs - Off | dri - Off | For - 50 | Spr - 50 | dpr - 50 | fei - 30

 

3 hours ago, FLAW3D said:

Just not that good at it tbh, DR i was always quite high in Leaderboards in this not so but im sure this is down to the cockpit camera rather than Dashcam as its just too far back.

Eh this is just going to come down to the fact you never stuck with DR2.0 for a long term. I remember you being upset when it first launched and playing on/off, but playing like that is not going to keep you high in the leaderboards while the rest of us continued playing a lot for the past 6 months

  • Like 3
  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I did try bonnet but i get no fun in this view as it feels weird racing with a centered view. I also thought it was positioned a bit strangely as well like its high up but tilted down towards the bonnet.

Will fire it up tomorrow and try your Thrustmaster settings as i did by the Sparco Rally rim just for this game before release 😡 although to be fair it does work great with PCARS 2 and AC.

Yeah i was on off due to the dreadful graphics on the Pro if you remember back it was god awful looking and was just a blur making it impossible to see where ypu where going add the fact there was no FFB. Took them months to fix both issues i guess i just never fell in love with it from the start with all its issues.

Will give it another chance tomorrow. Freecam for cockpit never get added?

Edited by FLAW3D
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@FLAW3D no freecam sadly or I'd be using it the entire time to remake the old "windshield" cam of DR1 - I think majority of members on this forum agree it was the best cam if you didn't want to  run true headcam. Sucks the FoV is locked on consoles but I'm sure it is to lock a minimum framerate. Sadly I think the ship has sailed on this one for consoles, or at least for anything but the X1X.

I don't have a TM wheel but those work well for me with the G27 and I think I got my buddy on a t150/300 to try them out too. I'll get back to you for sure on settings tho when he hits me back up

 

Luckily the graphics got a boost on console recently and I'm pretty sure they fixed the lighting issue (and no one is talking about it) in the dark. 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me this game hasn't been worth going back to since the fake surface vibration was added. I still play it sometimes, but when I remember the sublime feel for tyres digging into the surfaces and the overall smooth realistic experience I get angry and turn it off.

I simply hate, HATE, the fake, useless surface vibration covering all the more useful info. The devs were really onto something quite special with the ffb out of the box, and I can't believe that they ruined the excellent work they did because they were threatened with refunds and 1-star reviews. 

I wonder, also, if that now means that we are now forever condemned to rally games with ffb stuck in the 2000s featuring vulgar fake vibrations covering the more sublime and subtle effects that the devs were trying to introduce in DR 2.0.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you should just wait till Greece and/or Finland come out. then you get 2-3 "new" locations to mess around with.

I kind of wish Finland and Yas Marina were switched for this reason.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Salvador17 said:

For me this game hasn't been worth going back to since the fake surface vibration was added. I still play it sometimes, but when I remember the sublime feel for tyres digging into the surfaces and the overall smooth realistic experience I get angry and turn it off.

https://forums.codemasters.com/topic/37295-dirt-rally-20-v14-found-a-bug-post-it-here-update-v141/?tab=comments#comment-423293

"If you prefer the way things felt previously, then simply head to the Input section of the Options & Extras menu, select your device and then adjust the ‘Suspension’ slider in the Vibration & Feedback tab to 0."

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, MJV1973 said:

https://forums.codemasters.com/topic/37295-dirt-rally-20-v14-found-a-bug-post-it-here-update-v141/?tab=comments#comment-423293

"If you prefer the way things felt previously, then simply head to the Input section of the Options & Extras menu, select your device and then adjust the ‘Suspension’ slider in the Vibration & Feedback tab to 0."

That doesn't return things to the way they were. All it does is take away the fake gravel stone effects, but it doesn't give back the surface softness and tyres digging in feel. 

The ffb is fundamentally different now, and has been since the update that introduced the fake gravel noise. The only way to have it they way it was on release is to delete the game and reinstall and play offline, sadly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ianism said:

I think you should just wait till Greece and/or Finland come out. then you get 2-3 "new" locations to mess around with.

I kind of wish Finland and Yas Marina were switched for this reason.

Greece is coming? Along with Wales that was my fav track. Whens that out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Salvador17 said:

That doesn't return things to the way they were. All it does is take away the fake gravel stone effects, but it doesn't give back the surface softness and tyres digging in feel. 

The ffb is fundamentally different now, and has been since the update that introduced the fake gravel noise. The only way to have it they way it was on release is to delete the game and reinstall and play offline, sadly. 

I felt the same way right after V1.4 went live. Didn't like it at first, tried to get the old FFB feeling by setting suspension to 0 but it wasn't the same for sure. After fiddling a bit settings I'm quite liking the FFB so far. At the end of the day we don't know 100% whether the new rumbling effect comes from the physics or not. There hasn't been any statement on that matter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, FLAW3D said:

Greece is coming? Along with Wales that was my fav track. Whens that out?

oooooh the season 3 and 4 content announcement was like all anyone was talking about last week. Greece is up first, and yes that 206 is the 4wd WRC car, not a kit car like the Golf it's being released with.

edit: hey, I just noticed we get 3 locations in a row once Finland drops. that's kinda neat.

DR2_S3_Calendar_EU.jpg

DR2_S4_Calendar_EU_NM.jpg

Edited by ianism

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is the Yas Marina circuit? The F1 track?

  • Disagree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, FLAW3D said:

What is the Yas Marina circuit? The F1 track?

ah, it's an RX track based there which was added to the WRX calendar this year. wasn't great to watch races there and the "gravel" was a joke, but the drivers seemed to like it.

the other new RX track for the 2019 season was at Spa, and was universally adored, but it seems like it was a bit too expensive to license for cm this time around.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Mike Dee said:

 

Luckily the graphics got a boost on console recently and I'm pretty sure they fixed the lighting issue (and no one is talking about it) in the dark. 👍

Unfortunately all we got was the addition of a couple of notches on the HDR slider (our one and only graphics setting option) to increase overall brightness levels even further. If nothing it actually makes things worse because whilst setting the slider to max does increase brightness in darker sections, when you exit into sunlight the already too bright bloom effects are amplified even more. Short of continually pausing the game to adjust brightness accordingly the only other real option to play with any degree of comfort is to create custom championships with locations and weather conditions that are easier on the eye.

I don't think many talk about it any more because when you consider the amount of XBox users still playing the game, take into account those who are using 4K/HDR (or HDR10 in my case) tv's and further take into account those that visit various forums that probably leaves quite a small number of voices. I don't bother any more because although the issue has been there from day one i've long since conceded that for as long as the PC version of DR2 remains Codemasters' primary focus (which nobody can argue it doesn't) there's absolutely no point droning on about the same thing over and over when it is falling on deaf ears.

I think all we ever wanted was a more comprehensive set of visual adjustment setting to tailor the game to better suit the various tv's or monitors we happen to be using. It's not like anyone is asking Codemasters to completely rewrite the game or anything.

Besides which, with VR tweaking probably taking centre stage for the next few months, at some stage or other Codemasters will have to move on so there's a very high liklihood that the 'beyond reasonable support' time will expire and this will be forever overlooked.

The PC version of DR2 is really good and well worth a purchase but alas, irrespective of the power of the X1X, on consoles it will always remain the inferior product.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, FLAW3D said:

I have not played the game since before Wales got released even though i was desperate for Wales to come out as i loved it in DR. My main issues with the game before dropping it were...

1:  No Dashcam View

2: No FOV options

3: FFB never felt great

4: I adored Dirt Rally but felt the magic was lost in DR2

5: Just not that good at it tbh, DR i was always quite high in Leaderboards in this not so but im sure this is down to the cockpit camera rather than Dashcam as its just too far back. 

 

So with those points since i last played is it worth going back to? Id imagine the game has had many patches since i last played what kind of state is the game in now? How great is Wales? Worth going back just for that?

Don't come back, the community doesn't miss you at all, in fact, we are better without you.

  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Alcolo said:

Don't come back, the community doesn't miss you at all, in fact, we are better without you.

We'll miss you even less, young man, when you get to half a dozen posts and disappear forever without offering a single contribution of note to the community.

  • Haha 2
  • Agree 4
  • Disagree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, FLAW3D said:

I have not played the game since before Wales got released even though i was desperate for Wales to come out as i loved it in DR. My main issues with the game before dropping it were...

1:  No Dashcam View

2: No FOV options

3: FFB never felt great

4: I adored Dirt Rally but felt the magic was lost in DR2

5: Just not that good at it tbh, DR i was always quite high in Leaderboards in this not so but im sure this is down to the cockpit camera rather than Dashcam as its just too far back. 

 

So with those points since i last played is it worth going back to? Id imagine the game has had many patches since i last played what kind of state is the game in now? How great is Wales? Worth going back just for that?

Is it worth it? Yes, I would say so.

My frustrations are the same as yours, and the others who posted above to some degree or another. That said, the game is still enjoyable, and Wales is a treat for sure. I can deal with the lack of adjustability in cockpit cam, I’ve gotten used to it. I do wish the windshield/dash cam was back but alas that ship has sailed as someone noted above. It seems Codie’s is working on more FFB improvements based on some posts I’ve read in other threads - but time will tell on that front. I still feel the sense of ‘contact’ with the surface needs work, as many surfaces feel too slippery or ‘unplanted’. Regardless, as a fellow XB1X user, it’s a shame we are left with a more limited set of adjustable parameters, but it does not completely rob the experience of it being an enjoyable Rally game. Truth be told I am excited to try WRC8, seems there are some good things brewing there so I am optimistic about the potential of a more finely tuned FFB experience for us console folks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@_BorisTheFrog_ yeah I meant more overall they tweaked the lighting in engine, and at least for me on PC it seems to have done a world of a difference on an non-HDR monitor. I changed none of my settings, but the lights actually make a serious difference in Wales at night now and you can see pretty far into the distance.

 

Sadly console always gets shafted on settings =/ I always chalk it up to them trying to maintain a specific framerate/resolution and don't want people to even have a chance at messing that up. Would be nice if they could at least give you all the FoV options.

  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, richie said:

I felt the same way right after V1.4 went live. Didn't like it at first, tried to get the old FFB feeling by setting suspension to 0 but it wasn't the same for sure. After fiddling a bit settings I'm quite liking the FFB so far. At the end of the day we don't know 100% whether the new rumbling effect comes from the physics or not. There hasn't been any statement on that matter. 

I'm pretty sure the rumbling effect is pure fakery added to appease the loudmouths and to stave off threats of refunds and 1-star reviews. 

For me the ffb was really beautiful before the patch mainly due to the fact that the surfaces and the way the tyres interacted with those surfaces felt a lot more natural and realistic. Now soft gravel feels more like Assetto Corsa on Tarmac, which is ridiculous -- It should feel nothing like that. But the self-appointed ffb gurus knew best, or at least they thought they did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Salvador17 said:

I'm pretty sure the rumbling effect is pure fakery added to appease the loudmouths and to stave off threats of refunds and 1-star reviews. 

For me the ffb was really beautiful before the patch mainly due to the fact that the surfaces and the way the tyres interacted with those surfaces felt a lot more natural and realistic. Now soft gravel feels more like Assetto Corsa on Tarmac, which is ridiculous -- It should feel nothing like that. But the self-appointed ffb gurus knew best, or at least they thought they did.

Yeah, I quite liked the FFB before, too, although I agreed that a little bit more surface detail would've been nice. However, I would've preferred to keep the FFB pure, only coming from the physics. We still don't have a 100% confirmation that the new additional effect is fake, so we just don't know, but that was my first thought when I tried the new FFB. I had my suspension setting at 135 before the update. I first tried the new FFB at Australia. My first reaction was 'what is this??' :classic_laugh: I've settled with suspension at 50-55 now and it's ok. Christina said back then that it's still a WIP so maybe we'll see a few sudden GB's to download at some point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, richie said:

Yeah, I quite liked the FFB before, too, although I agreed that a little bit more surface detail would've been nice. However, I would've preferred to keep the FFB pure, only coming from the physics. We still don't have a 100% confirmation that the new additional effect is fake, so we just don't know, but that was my first thought when I tried the new FFB. I had my suspension setting at 135 before the update. I first tried the new FFB at Australia. My first reaction was 'what is this??' :classic_laugh: I've settled with suspension at 50-55 now and it's ok. Christina said back then that it's still a WIP so maybe we'll see a few sudden GB's to download at some point. 

Look, I'm not trying to be like the whiners who labelled the ffb broken and the game unplayable because the steering wheel didn't vibrate. I still think this is the best rally game ever made, despite the detrimental ffb update. I am however, dissapointed that the ffb qualities that were present at release are either massively toned down, or in some cases gone completely.

i think in the future people should just calm down and refrain from assuming that the devs are idiots and that they're releasing broken, incomplete games. 

As far as the addition effects being fake question is concerned, I remember cranking up the suspension to max in Poland and getting what felt like hefty whacks to the wheel as I was driving over what looked like a soft, sandy surface. There is no way that those who effects were physics-derived, as there didn't seem to be anything on the surface to be causing those whacks. 

But whatever the case may be, it's actually the surface softness and tyres sinking into the surfaces that I miss the most. I still remember driving the stratos in the wet in New Zealand before the update and the feeling I had as the tyres sliced through what felt like gooey sandy mud. I can't get that feeling anymore, no matter the setting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×