Sign in to follow this  

Is this worth going back to?

Haven't found a car where you can't adjust Cockpit view or use Driver view that doesn't work. No FOV is disappointing, but the view settings are still good. Some cars have better visibility than others, which is realistic. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, richie said:

Yeah, I quite liked the FFB before, too, although I agreed that a little bit more surface detail would've been nice. However, I would've preferred to keep the FFB pure, only coming from the physics. We still don't have a 100% confirmation that the new additional effect is fake, so we just don't know, but that was my first thought when I tried the new FFB. I had my suspension setting at 135 before the update. I first tried the new FFB at Australia. My first reaction was 'what is this??' :classic_laugh: I've settled with suspension at 50-55 now and it's ok

I would say it's physics based since it seems to translate a surface mesh into forces. There are locations with different types of roads and all this translates into different feeling of FFB forces. Including asphalt which is impossibly smooth.
In addition to that, some forces (maybe suspension ones) probably have been amplified. It's nothing wrong since games MUST do that this way to compensate too low torque of our steering wheels. At the end the best possible option is to have sliders to balance forces which translates into steering wheel torque to our liking. And this is what CM provides.
Strange there is no tire slip based force added to steering torque though.

Edited by MaXyMsrpl

Posted (edited)
On 8/17/2019 at 7:28 PM, FLAW3D said:

So with those points since i last played is it worth going back to? Id imagine the game has had many patches since i last played what kind of state is the game in now? How great is Wales? Worth going back just for that?

I don't like Wales or Sweden, they are easier to drive compared to Dirt Rally 1 versions.

I hope Finland is challenging.

Edited by J89

'cause cars are easier to drive. those are heavier generating more friction with a surface. This is how I feel it. Sometimes cars can stop going sideway too quick helping in panic situations

37 minutes ago, J89 said:

I don't like Wales or Sweden, they are easier to drive compared to Dirt Rally 1 versions.

I hope Finland is challenging.

That not down to better physics? Or are the tracks different?  I didnt manage to get on yesterday hopefully i will tonight. 

32 minutes ago, FLAW3D said:

That not down to better physics? Or are the tracks different?  I didnt manage to get on yesterday hopefully i will tonight. 

this person has a tendency to make ridiculous, negative claims about DR2, and has not produced any evidence to back up these claims.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, ianism said:

this person has a tendency to make ridiculous, negative claims about DR2, and has not produced any evidence to back up these claims. 

Hahaha 😄

Sweden and Wales are wider and therefore easier to drive.

Edited by J89
  • Haha 1
  • Disagree 2

3 hours ago, Salvador17 said:

Look, I'm not trying to be like the whiners who labelled the ffb broken and the game unplayable because the steering wheel didn't vibrate. I still think this is the best rally game ever made, despite the detrimental ffb update. I am however, dissapointed that the ffb qualities that were present at release are either massively toned down, or in some cases gone completely.

i think in the future people should just calm down and refrain from assuming that the devs are idiots and that they're releasing broken, incomplete games. 

As far as the addition effects being fake question is concerned, I remember cranking up the suspension to max in Poland and getting what felt like hefty whacks to the wheel as I was driving over what looked like a soft, sandy surface. There is no way that those who effects were physics-derived, as there didn't seem to be anything on the surface to be causing those whacks. 

But whatever the case may be, it's actually the surface softness and tyres sinking into the surfaces that I miss the most. I still remember driving the stratos in the wet in New Zealand before the update and the feeling I had as the tyres sliced through what felt like gooey sandy mud. I can't get that feeling anymore, no matter the setting. 

I totally understand what you mean and I completely agree. There were lots of heated discussions about the FFB, people were praising DR1 FFB even though the most important force was missing, SAT, and some other 'forces' were just canned effects. 

I can actually still feel the tyres sink into the surfaces, though. Most noticeable at Argentina. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

25 minutes ago, J89 said:

Hahaha 😄

Sweden and Wales are wider and therefore easier to drive.

reminds me of your claim back in April that the physics were changed. nobody ever agreed with you, and you never showed any evidence.

so prove it with video or shut up.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 4

Posted (edited)
On 8/19/2019 at 7:30 PM, ianism said:

reminds me of your claim back in April that the physics were changed. nobody ever agreed with you, and you never showed any evidence.

so prove it with video or shut up. 

Try Dirt Rally 1 Sweden to see the difference.

Edited by J89
  • Haha 1
  • Disagree 3

Posted (edited)

This @J89 kid just can't help but talk bullshit.

Edited by chukonu
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Unbelievable how much better looking Dirt Rally 1 graphics are.

• Haha 3
  • Disagree 3

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Salvador17 said:

i think in the future people should just calm down and refrain from assuming that the devs are idiots and that they're releasing broken, incomplete games. 

That would be great, definitely.

Unfortunately gamers have a well deserved reputation for being whiny, childish, entitled and hostile towards developers. Not all gamers, it should go without saying, but it seems every time the more rational among us try to inject some sense into the discussion, we get called shills, fanboys, white knights etc.

Edited by caerphoto
  • Agree 3

8 hours ago, MaXyMsrpl said:

I would say it's physics based since it seems to translate a surface mesh into forces. There are locations with different types of roads and all this translates into different feeling of FFB forces. Including asphalt which is impossibly smooth.
In addition to that, some forces (maybe suspension ones) probably have been amplified. It's nothing wrong since games MUST do that this way to compensate too low torque of our steering wheels. At the end the best possible option is to have sliders to balance forces which translates into steering wheel torque to our liking. And this is what CM provides.
Strange there is no tire slip based force added to steering torque though.

IF translating the surface mesh into forces is indeed what they did in the update, then that explains why there is now a more pronounced top-of-the-surface feel as opposed to before the update where the feel for the tyres interacting with the surfaces felt more natural and realistic.

This also begs the question. Why didn't the devs do the ffb this way right from the beginning, and had to be coerced into doing it with threats of refunds and 1-star reviews? I don't think I need to answer this. 

Posted (edited)
On 8/19/2019 at 12:35 PM, J89 said:

Try Dirt Rally 1 Sweden to see the difference.

I own it, obviously...

also, very convenient you changed the subject lmao

Edited by ianism