Sign in to follow this  

Steam Error 41

I just bought the Dirt Rally game on Steam early access. When I  tried to played it, I received an Error 41. Help!! How do I solve this? I tried uninstalling and re-installing the game but the problem still happens.

I have the game installed on my D drive - and as counter intuitive as it sounds my solution was to clear space on my Windows installation drive C:/

There are several reports of this on the steam forums, most of them stating that 3GB of space is required in the C:/ drive

I've solve the error code 41. I have 1.9gb free space on os disk. When erased some data i get 2.1gb and the game run. I hope this issue will be solved with this trick

Have the same problem. I added the dumpfile from DiRT Rally

drt_1060453_crash_2015_4_30T11_8_5C0.mdmp
drt.exe.8568.STEAMSTART

http://www.file-upload.net/download-10577047/drt.exe.8568.STEAMSTART.html
http://www.file-upload.net/download-10577048/drt_1060453_crash_2015_4_30T11_22_57C0.mdmp.html

System:
Windows 10 x64 Preview Build 10074 (worked on 10061) 
Phenom 2 3GHz, 8GB RAM, GFX 960

Just letting everyone know I caused and then fixed this problem myself....

The game was running fine, no error 41 ever and I had alt-tabbed in and out a number of time with no problems.
Here is the sequence of events that led to error 41:
1) Played the game normally (full screen 1080p), quit back to main menu.
2) From main menu, Alt-tabbed to windows desktop.
3) Quit game by CLICKING RED WINDOW CLOSE BUTTON. I did not quit the game through the menu as per normal.
4) Upon next launch, game tried to launch in window (1024x768).
5) Immediately stopped responding, required a force quit, which then led to Error 41 message.
6) Tried lots of things, reverify game file cache, reboot etc. Nothing worked, still had Error 41 message.
WHAT WORKED:
7) Edited the hardware_settings_config.xml file in Documents/my games/Dirt Rally/hardwaresettings and made fullscreen = true.

Problem fixed, no more Error 41.

I'm running Windows 7 & AMD 7970.

Thanks FrankTank.

It was exactly the C:/ drive minimum free space that gave me problem installing the game. 

JesseDeya said:
Just letting everyone know I caused and then fixed this problem myself....

The game was running fine, no error 41 ever and I had alt-tabbed in and out a number of time with no problems.
Here is the sequence of events that led to error 41:
1) Played the game normally (full screen 1080p), quit back to main menu.
2) From main menu, Alt-tabbed to windows desktop.
3) Quit game by CLICKING RED WINDOW CLOSE BUTTON. I did not quit the game through the menu as per normal.
4) Upon next launch, game tried to launch in window (1024x768).
5) Immediately stopped responding, required a force quit, which then led to Error 41 message.
6) Tried lots of things, reverify game file cache, reboot etc. Nothing worked, still had Error 41 message.
WHAT WORKED:
7) Edited the hardware_settings_config.xml file in Documents/my games/Dirt Rally/hardwaresettings and made fullscreen = true.
Problem fixed, no more Error 41.

I'm running Windows 7 & AMD 7970.
This describes exactly what happened to me as well, went back to main menu clicked x, came back a few hours later and kept getting that error when it tried to check content after title screen, hasnt worked for 24 hours now.
I did try what you suggested but fullscreen was already turned on...Just so everyone knows I believe everyone iv seen that cant fix this error has had an intel CPU and nvidia GPU. look on steam forums and you'll see tons of people that are stuck like I am.

Im running  i5 2550k    gigabyte GTX 670   win7
tried updating video driver didn't help.

Its just very strange all these people are finding a fix by opening up C: drive space. I had 40gb free, made it 60gb free, tried moving to 2nd drive with 150gb free, tried adjusting pagefile, still nothing.
Even more strange is I'm the only one iv seen that played before it became unfixable

I'm pretty convinced (and honestly jealous) that i am no longer in control of when I can play next.

Have the same problem. I added the dumpfile from DiRT Rally

drt_1060453_crash_2015_4_30T11_8_5C0.mdmp
drt.exe.8568.STEAMSTART

http://www.file-upload.net/download-10577047/drt.exe.8568.STEAMSTART.html
http://www.file-upload.net/download-10577048/drt_1060453_crash_2015_4_30T11_22_57C0.mdmp.html

System:
Windows 10 x64 Preview Build 10074 (worked on 10061) 
Phenom 2 3GHz, 8GB RAM, GFX 960