Sign in to follow this  

The Location Appreciation Thread

Watched some WRC 8 Preview. Despite the still lurking flaws and strange decisions (no multiclass-clubs...), I still think DR2 is the best Rally Simulation available and will stay there for some time judging by that preview. Maybe the issues are pointed out so passionately because people see how much potential DR2 has as a long term Platform. One thing in particular, that made DR1 great and DR2 even greater are those realistic, narrow technical stages mated to the physics engine. So I thought, I might start this:

The Location Appreciation Thread

vlcsnap-2019-08-18-20h37m38s702.thumb.png.a1396bb7e65169460e7108d02273d939.png

DR2 will end up with at least 12 Rally Locations and over 250km of unique Stage-Road. (Hopefully 13 or 14, if a Season 5 will be)
I want to highlight some personal favorites and encourage you to share your opinions here as well, best case with some pictures.

Posted (edited)

So I'll begin, my Favorite is probably Australia,because it combines so many driving challenges into one and creates a feeling similar to Greece when you get it right and fast. Especially the part on the hill inside the forest is awesome to drive, technical but quick with many elevation change and little room for error.

vlcsnap-2019-08-18-21h14m14s166.thumb.png.2b1d28acfb875adbb19ee18ad6621c82.png

Overall the Locations have IMHO improved compared to DR1 when it comes to variety and feeling. Sure, most of them are real-life recreations, so the roads and technicality might be by blueprint, but these specific stages where still chosen by the team as well as the whole country.
Especially New England surprised me, as I hated Michigan in D4 and visually it looks very similar. But just having a believable road with changing features and a way that goes somewhere changes a lot.

Im not happy with everything, for example the lack of lowlands and water fords in Argentina. But the stage they picked (El Condor) is very nicely recreated indeed and the bridge part in particular is my favorite in Argentina.

But even more so I like the inland part of New Zealand with its rock-solid roadside and fences, leading to high speed close flybys everywhere.

vlcsnap-2019-08-18-21h16m05s524.thumb.png.96a16967cf3e01314ed89e07156e6460.png

And another mention I'd like to the one stage from Poland leasing through the cobblestone part in the middle. This breaks up the normal Polish flow very effectively and is a great landmark with little error margin to race through.

vlcsnap-2019-08-18-21h18m19s871.thumb.png.d81f07012f8baf7d2732612567ecef77.png

Strangely enough I happen to have several locations, where I can drive one stage much more consistent than the second one. Like, the driving mistakes accumulate mostly on one of the stages and not equally distributed. Anyone else feels the same? Notable locations of this double-edge-sword-group are: Argentina, Sweden, Wales, France, USA

And lastly, I'm going through all stages on my channel over time, just putting the playlist here. Judging by the 12 we probably end up with, it's currently at two thirds coverage.

Edited by SkyRex
  • Like 1

I’ve previously started a thread, similar to this! I think there are some definite shining spots in some of the stages that make you feel like a true rally driver. 🙂 

Monte Carlo is a haughty, high-cheekboned European supermodel, sleek curves and breathtaking views, but a lot of attitude. 

Wales is a cheerful country lass with generous curves who loves an ale and mud-wrestling and will happily invite you to join. 

I know which I prefer. 

• Haha 1