DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×
How to contact Customer Service Read more... ×
F1 2021 | Arrives July 16 | First Look Here Read more... ×

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DIRT Rally - CUSTOM LIVERIES, MODS & TOOLS, DISCUSSION ETC.

Guess I've been a bit bored lately, made another one :D 
A, Neikšāns Lavijas Mobilais Telefons rally team, Lancer Evo X
http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/lancer-evo-x-a-neikšāns-lmt-rally-team.15205/

Didzis said:

Guess I've been a bit bored lately, made another one :D 
A, Neikšāns Lavijas Mobilais Telfons rally team, Lancer Evo X
http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/lancer-evo-x-a-neikšāns-lmt-rally-team.15205/

Wow. Livery and screens looks awesome :)

R. Sirmacis Fabia R5 livery on a Polo (the closest thing to a Škoda we have right now :D)
http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/vw-polo-r-sirmacis-fabia-r5-erc.15258/

Really liked the DirtFish E30 in one of the screenshots from the latest Road book, so decided to make it :)
http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/bmw-m3-dirtfish.15282/

can i give you a quick tip to improve your skins? never use full color on any color of your skins, because the way the game engine works the colors look weird ingame, i use a little trick witch is use the hue/saturation adjustment on photoshop with -15 saturation and -20 lightness, this works for lighter colors but darker colors you need to light them up a bit, if you check the default textures you will see that the white colors are never full 255,255,255 white and the blacks are never full 0,0,0 blacks

For the blacks I have noticed that, on the BMW the black was supposed to be mat, but with very little reflection pure black was just too dark, same with the Quattro, I did brighten the blacks up a bit
With whites and vivid colors, at least from what I've seen, that depends a lot from the specocc map. If the specocc is too bright, whites will just look like chrome (which can be usefull sometimes), and colors will look weird, but if the specocc is dark enough, imho it looks fine. 
But thanks for the advice, guess I'll mute the colors a bit next time 

WIP                                             

almost done                                        

Citroen C4 Neste World RX of Latvia
http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/citroen-c4-neste-world-rx-of-latvia-r-nitiss.15350/

For this one I tried something new. Using 3D models in Photoshop makes it just so much easier :) The real life car I made this skin from didn't have a roof scoop, but the ingame on did. Of course it was on top of the graphics. Aligning the graphics on top of the roof scoop would've been such a pain in the @$$, if I hadn't been using the 3D model :D 

Ford Fiesta RS WRC Qatar M-Sport World Rally Team

Drivers Available
#4 Mads Ostberg
#5 Evgeniy Novikov
#11 Thierry Neuville
Made from scratch in 4k and 8k

Do not redistribute any of the textures

DOWNLOAD

IMG

Ford Focus ST Castrol
Used DiRT3 skin as a rough guide and added some extra things like the chrome paint and a pattern made out of Castrol logos

http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/ford-focus-07-castrol.15386/

Hi everyone, long time no see! I haven't been skinning in ages, and don't know if I'll get back to it anytime soon, but it's nice to see new liveries are still being made, by old artists and new! Great looking skins, @YorAlcoholicDad, @hoonhead and @Didzis!

I noticed there's some demand for wireframes for the RX cars, so I thought I'd do those, as well as the hillclimb cars as there aren't too many of them. I should be able to upload the pack to RD in a day or two!

I have found something very unexpected. Playing around with some skins I have noticed that if I export a texture to GIMP (I use it instead of Photoshop), I save it in .xcf and then I compress it to .dds (BC3/DTX5) they gain a lot of detail. I have proved it with Meerkat's Ford fiesta wrc 2012 and with @YorAlcoholicDad 's Ford fiesta wrc 2013. The 4k it looks even better than the former 8k. I don't know if anyone else is aware of this and if it has something to do with using GIMP. Please try yourself, if I can I will post photos later. 

In for pics.............                                                 

Underkex said:

I have found something very unexpected. Playing around with some skins I have noticed that if I export a texture to GIMP (I use it instead of Photoshop), I save it in .xcf and then I compress it to .dds (BC3/DTX5) they gain a lot of detail. I have proved it with Meerkat's Ford fiesta wrc 2012 and with @YorAlcoholicDad 's Ford fiesta wrc 2013. The 4k it looks even better than the former 8k. I don't know if anyone else is aware of this and if it has something to do with using GIMP. Please try yourself, if I can I will post photos later. 

are you running the game in the highest settings? because i think the 4k looks better than this on my game, also .dds textures have what is called mip maps witch is basically several versions of the same texture in smaller resolutions, when the game is not in the highest settings it wont load the highest resolution of the texture

No, high preset settings. But I have tried to change the AA and the anisotropic filtering to max and it didn't make any difference. But I will try. Anyway I don't understad why this happens.

are you running the game in the highest settings? because i think the 4k looks better than this on my game, also .dds textures have what is called mip maps witch is basically several versions of the same texture in smaller resolutions, when the game is not in the highest settings it wont load the highest resolution of the texture

That's not the reason. No difference at all between high and ultra settings.

Underkex said:

That's not the reason. No difference at all between high and ultra settings.

i will re-download the game here and test this, give me some hours, can you send me your compressed .dds file?

so here is what it looks like on my game

and here in 8K

so the 4K on mine looks better than what you showed but the compression you mentioned definitely makes it look better, please give me some more information on the process you used to compress the texture and ill try some methods here on photoshop, i dont know if i will be able to do it on GIMP because i have absolutely no idea how to use GIMP

so the 4K on mine looks better than what you showed but the compression you mentioned definitely makes it look better, please give me some more information on the process you used to compress the texture and ill try some methods here on photoshop, i dont know if i will be able to do it on GIMP because i have absolutely no idea how to use GIMP

Ok you were right, now I've tried using the ultra setting and restarting the game and the original livery looks the same as the compressed one. So my conclusion es the way GIMP does the compression is better for high and lower settings of the .dds

What you have to in GIMP is very easy: Open the .dds file and then save it in .xcf  (is the default format). Then use export (in Archive menu, just after the saving options) to .dds and select BC3/DTX5 compression. Anyway I am going to try to send you the file.

Try to put the game in high preset and then restart it.  Compare the two compressions in high and ultra settings. (My mistake was I didn't restart the first time).

Underkex said:

Ok you were right, now I've tried using the ultra setting and restarting the game and the original livery looks the same as the compressed one. So my conclusion es the way GIMP does the compression is better for high and lower settings of the .dds

What you have to in GIMP is very easy: Open the .dds file and then save it in .xcf  (is the default format). Then use export (in Archive menu, just after the saving options) to .dds and select BC3/DTX5 compression. Anyway I am going to try to send you the file.

Try to put the game in high preset and then restart it.  Compare the two compressions in high and ultra settings. (My mistake was I didn't restart the first time).

Could it be that with GIMP it saved the DDS without mipmaps? Wouldn't that mean, that even with lower settings it would only have one option? (not entirely sure though, got to do some tests)

Ok, I am a genius, (ironic mode off) I have found there is an option "generate mipmaps". I have to try the compression with this option.

All the problem was that, now I am trying and my liveries work properly, the same as the ones from Meerkat and @YorAlcoholicDad. I was confused at first time because the Qatar draw shows in such a low resolution, but it's small detail and you need Ultra settings to show it right. Sorry for the misleading...

So I went ahead and did my own testing.
I first took screens with Ultra textures, and high or ultra vehicle details and reflections (that's with a texture that has mipmaps)

Next, I changed the settings for textures, vehicle details and reflections down to medium and restarted the game (still using the same texture)

Lastly, I swapped the DDS file for a modified one without mipmaps, while keeping the settings at medium (the pattern was done in the specocc file, that's why it's blurry, I only removed the mipmaps from the main one):