Sign in to follow this  

New seasons (year two) or new rally game?

Do you prefer new seasons for Dirt Rally 2.0 (year two) or a new rally game?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer new seasons for Dirt Rally 2.0 (year two) or a new rally game?

• I prefer "year two" and new content for the actual DR2.0
    • I prefer a new rally game

since the play store option says "year one", it is logical to speculate with the possibility of "year two", then the question is simple

They've built a great foundation for this game with much improved post-launch support including affordable DLC content. I enjoy the game a lot and with a few bugs ironed out, it could be one of, it not, my all time favourite game(s). Bold, but true!

• Agree 5

New game always brings (or should) something new. DR2 came with variable surface. There are still things to improve, for example stage max length which is likely limitation of current engine. Not mentioning issues which are not being considered as bugs so never were fixed, like random wipers.

By staying with current tech, with content additions only we would move nowhere. 

37 minutes ago, MaXyMsrpl said:

New game always brings (or should) something new. DR2 came with variable surface. There are still things to improve, for example stage max length which is likely limitation of current engine. Not mentioning issues which are not being considered as bugs so never were fixed, like random wipers.

By staying with current tech, with content additions only we would move nowhere. 

new game wouldn't come until 2021, at least, which probably means next gen. f that. the game is amazing as it is.

and anyways... this is all academic. we're not the ones deciding if there's more seasons. I personally doubt there will be, but we'll see I guess.... in 6 months

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)

A new game will take longer to develop, if things are to improve significantly and new groundbreaking features are to be brought (stage length increased, staggered starts, more stages per rally, etc). So, it'd be a good idea to keep selling content in DR2 (me hoping it's more rally from now on), as it would provide us with more entertainment throughout the years up until DR3 arrives.

Plus, this would help CM with further rally game funding, as well as helping cement further the rally community around this game. At the same time, all of these assets developed for DR2, can and should be used in DR3. This will not only cut development time and costs, but also give the devs the time they need to bring newer content (either new stages for existing rallies or more cars to fulfill the most demanding classes, or new features such as proper dynamic weather across an entire rally schedule). This in the end would mean a more complete rally game, as this is the only field where this game is lagging behind the official WRC game.

Not to mention, a proper e-sports structure would be ideal to keep players playing, by having e-sport seasons with a proper rally calendar, rather than D4's WC structure.

Edited by Riggs
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

10 minutes ago, Riggs said:

At the same time, all of these assets developed for DR2, can and should be used in DR3.

I agree with you without exception.

But I can imagine a moan of community in case dr3 will be full of locations ported from previous game editions 😉 with a few new only at the same time.

I'd just like them to continue building on DiRT Rally 2.0 rather than move to another DiRT game.

Repackage it as DiRT Rally 2.5 with seasons 1-4 included and onwards we go to season 5, 6, 7, 8.

• Agree 2

DR2.0 has a very good base I think to continue to build on now and in the future. GTA V was released in 2013 and still gets content (unfortunately just for online 😕), but is an example that a good game with a solid base can have a long live with interesting DLC, while at the same time the developer can create a new masterpiece. Maybe the market and sales numbers for both titles are completly different, but the amount of people and budgets are also different, so it is not impossible. 

I had the feeling that DR1 was build from the ground up, but D4 also for a big part, and DR2 also again. F.e. I not completly understand why the Clubs needed a rebuild for both D4 and DR2 and not was in it with the launch. Another example is the livery editor. It was in D4, so it is kinda expected it would also be in DR2.0.

F.e. Milestone has that a bit better sorted I guess with MotoGP (if don't count the team manager module) and Motocross games. Started more as a base racing game, and than every time things were added or improved. Customization was added and maybe the next game extented or improved, same with the track editor which was added, and than the next title was bigger and more improved and also carried over to an other game.

And I see this also returning with the F1 games of Codemasters in the few last years (new physics model, improved development system in career, F2, livery editor for online). But unfortunatly so far not completly with the DiRT titles this gen. Yes, some things were improved massively, but other things dissapeared and i think it is a shame for the investment that had been made.

I hope at least the investments that were made for DR2.0 and the DLC, will eventually also return for the next game and I think the DLC will certainly help with the investments and development time.

Dirt Rally 1 was released at lets say 2015, DiRT4 halfway 2017 and DiRT Rally 2.0 at the beginning of this year with post release DLC for a year which makes the game almost double with the content that has been added. If they could use that as base for the next game with the same content but improved + new/added content for at the end of 2020/early 2021, than there might be a massive game available. But with the next gen consoles on the horizon, maybe it might be more logical to focus the game on that and give DR2.0 another season or two (or more) of DLC and develop the game for another year. So far no new next-gen console has been announced so I guess developers are also a bit on a crossroad (although I think at devs it is more well known what will happen).

So i not have a clear favor for a new game or new DLC as it depends on a few circumstances. Basically if they can/will use the base of DR2.0 for the next game, than I think my favor would go to a new game with improved bases and the content of DR2.0 at least returning for the biggest part with new content and feutures added on top of that. If they need to build to many things from the ground up (again), that my favor would go for more feutures and extra DLC seasons for DR2.0, so that there is more financial support and development time for the next game with a better base (and maybe at the same time already things can be tested out on DR2.0, like F1 teams do with testing parts for the next season car on their current car). 

• Agree 1

Neither, I want a new dedicated Rallycross game covering all previous seasons of World RX with all tracks and cars and drivers :classic_biggrin:

Ok fine I'll take more DLC for DR 2.0

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

what I've been seeing from codemasters lately, regarding DR2.0, is not at all encouraging, Dirt will always be just a simcade, incomplete, and with a forun nanny to cherish the most fervent critics, is what @PJTierney  has done, and all because the community is not so competitive, I believe most who play DR2.0 prefer to play singleplayer.
That said, I have spoken several times here in the forum, in some topics that I created, that the competitive path is formula for longevity of the game, without necessarily having to develop a new one.
However, their eyes are closed, and they ignore the formula of iracing and raceroon, among others ..., both have a range of characters to divide riders by level, and this is explicit in competitive games, and is indispensable in any online multiplayer game. .
The DLC until today basically brought nothing that we had not seen in dirt rally 1, only with the exception of rally cross, of course, but in the rally, we are only getting rehearsed content but, the club site is horrible, you could not get access the list of online championships, I ask what the problem is to do the same there is this (https://rbr.onlineracing.cz/index.php?act=tourmntslst&lng=eng), it made me sick, it's as if the developers wanted to reverse the wheel, but the wheel has already been invented, and is constantly improving, as I said they only listen to what they want and or it matches what they want, I don't understand what their problem is creating a voting top with suggestion for content to be voted on, but the most voted to be add to the game through the season DLC, in the top where there is a lot of gossip, speculated subaru legacy, I thought it might even come in the next seasons, but will not, will rehash everything and the news will only come to DR3.0 or for dirt5, which actually goes all this with other graphics and fewer bugs.
Finally, as I said it is clear to everyone the way to go for the game, but the codemaster ignores, in fact maybe she does not want to go that way.
I'm going to be cheering for someone to take this niche of Competitive Virtual Rally, because it is vacant!

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 2

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, diogotilim said:

Finally, as I said it is clear to everyone the way to go for the game, but the codemaster ignores, in fact maybe she does not want to go that way.
I'm going to be cheering for someone to take this niche of Competitive Virtual Rally, because it is vacant!

The competitive virtual rally would be a dream! I fantasize about the idea that the rally (not the rallycross) will be included one day in iracing ... that would be fantastic ... however I think that a company like codemasters that has ample rally experience would be the most suitable to launch this project , I would love to!

Edited by elrojodp8
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, elrojodp8 said:

The competitive virtual rally would be a dream! I fantasize about the idea that the rally (not the rallycross) will be included one day in iracing ... that would be fantastic ... however I think that a company like codemasters that has ample rally experience would be the most suitable to launch this project , I would love to!

It would be fantastic, and if she finds a risky investment then, to start a kickstarter campaign, the RBR widows, sure would support, among others!

• Agree 1

IMO tougher competitor is coming to rally: SMS. for sure with more advanced tire physics. But probably with even more bugs than dr2 😉

Anyway if any, SMS will enter this discipline before iracing.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

I hope they keep doing some small DLCs next year aswell, maybe one spring and one summer. That'd keep it just fresh enough to keep us playing. 

But then I hope they've already started development on a shiny new engine aimed at a DR 3.0 release somewhere about '21-'22. Now that the physics engine is quite good for 2.0 (main part to work on is tarmac), they can really start pushing for a new graphics and game engine that can replace ego. The possibilty to support longer stages (preferably by streaming so they don't have to load the whole thing at once which is the problem in current ego), maybe a refurbished "my stage", improved support for modding... lots of stuff that could be done. DR 2.0 can last us about 2-3 years if it just gets some small DLCs one in a while.

• Agree 4

Posted (edited)

As for the competitive part, i agree. It should be something of a larger scale than D4 World Championship. Something WRC esports-like. Not only a lot would play, but a lot would watch too. If they keep it small-time like D4 WC test, it wont go anywhere.

A few tools are still missing though.

Edited by Riggs
  • Agree 2

Posted (edited)
On 8/23/2019 at 4:23 PM, diogotilim said:

what I've been seeing from codemasters lately, regarding DR2.0, is not at all encouraging, Dirt will always be just a simcade, incomplete, and with a forun nanny to cherish the most fervent critics, is what @PJTierney  has done, and all because the community is not so competitive, I believe most who play DR2.0 prefer to play singleplayer.
That said, I have spoken several times here in the forum, in some topics that I created, that the competitive path is formula for longevity of the game, without necessarily having to develop a new one.
However, their eyes are closed, and they ignore the formula of iracing and raceroon, among others ..., both have a range of characters to divide riders by level, and this is explicit in competitive games, and is indispensable in any online multiplayer game. .
The DLC until today basically brought nothing that we had not seen in dirt rally 1, only with the exception of rally cross, of course, but in the rally, we are only getting rehearsed content but, the club site is horrible, you could not get access the list of online championships, I ask what the problem is to do the same there is this (https://rbr.onlineracing.cz/index.php?act=tourmntslst&lng=eng), it made me sick, it's as if the developers wanted to reverse the wheel, but the wheel has already been invented, and is constantly improving, as I said they only listen to what they want and or it matches what they want, I don't understand what their problem is creating a voting top with suggestion for content to be voted on, but the most voted to be add to the game through the season DLC, in the top where there is a lot of gossip, speculated subaru legacy, I thought it might even come in the next seasons, but will not, will rehash everything and the news will only come to DR3.0 or for dirt5, which actually goes all this with other graphics and fewer bugs.

System request:

The kind of system you are referring to is unlikely to come from a company that is organised tje way Codemasters is which is vastly different from the companies responsible for iRacing and R3E. Codemasters are developing several titles at the same time and switches quite a few employees from project to project depending on where their skillset is needed.

Meanwhile iRacing.com Motorsport Simulations (iRacing) and Sector3 Studios (R3E) only have one title they are working with. It stands to reason that the only option they have is to keep the game alive by constantly improving and keep on adding content to their title. One way of doing this is by making sure that the competitive scene is really good by implementing a system you are describing and creating live events and so much more. 

Implementing such a system in combination with the way the company is organised, would be really difficult to achieve. They would have to restructure and so much more to make it work for DR2.0 but also for some of their other titles like F1 2019 and so on. 

Competitive/eSports launch:

Launching themselves onto the competitive scene right now would be a mistake. I myself drive competitively in clubs at a rather high level. Quite a few of the systems which are in place at the moment are not optimised. Even though the competitive rallying in clubs is absolutely thrilling and amazing, there are so many issues with clubs at the moment which need fixing. Things like the championship standings in clubs not updating, the random damage to the car when starting the next stage after finishing the previous one cleanly, the setup reset that happens after each stage, etc. There's so much potential in this but as I said earlier, launching now would be a major mistake because of all the things that are already going wrong in clubs right now. They are working on it though which is a good thing. 

It's not always as easy to accomplish as people might think. I would love to see this happening but it's just not in the cards (yet).

Edited by SRD_SimVansevenant
  • Agree 4

The game hasn't even been out for a full year, there's really no need for another sequel to Dirt or Dirt Rally next year, possibly the year after that. I'd be glad to have more Rally locations and potentially some Hill Climb content in future seasons of 2.0, but I could also see them dropping most support after Season 4. The fact that they still haven't done any actual new Rally locations for DLC makes leads me to believe it's just too much of an undertaking for however many of the original team is left on this game, even if they were just creating new stages for existing locations where the bulk of the visual asset work is already done. At most they may possibly add some additional cars and liveries, but yeah. I also don't see a lot of the current bugs and issues being addressed. A small number of fans will definitely stick with it and want more, but racing games and sims are a niche genre to begin with, and rally is a small niche within that niche. Harder to justify the time and effort for new content creation for that small of a fanbase, even if they're rabid. I'm suprised they're doing a season 3 & 4, but most of that stuff had to have been planned and in the works from a long while back.

VR support gave the game a small uptick in users (likely returning but probably some all new holdouts), though I'm guessing that really didn't move the needle like they were expecting given all time that stuff took. The game was half-priced for a good while, too. But then VR dirters are a niche within a niche within a niche. It's still great they went and gave them what they wanted, busted as it may be for some.

• Agree 2

I honestly don't know how you'd turn a stage rally game into an e-sport people would actually want to watch without getting extremely stale very quickly.

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, mwoodski said:

I honestly don't know how you'd turn a stage rally game into an e-sport people would actually want to watch without getting extremely stale very quickly.

The same way people pay to watch WRC+. The thing is, DR2 is clearly missing some vital tools imo.

Edited by Riggs
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Riggs said:

The same way people pay to watch WRC+. The thing is, DR2 is clearly missing some vital tools imo.

bit of a difference between hundreds of km of stages per rally and what we've got in DR2.0.

Edited by mwoodski
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, mwoodski said:

First what comes into mind would be ghost racing.

So 2 or more start a stage at the same time and people see them ghosted on track, if they are close together, but the racer don't see the opponents, just the split times.

Not that I give a single fart on e-sports.

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

I would really like to see a year two support for this game with a season 5 and 6, with a focus on rally:

1) 3 new rally locations:

a) A new asphalt rally on narrow twisty roads, like Rally Donegal (Ireland)

b) A new snow rally in dry conditions, like Mountain Rally (Norway)

c) A really rough African rally location, like Safari Rally (Kenya)

2) A new H1-class for RWD cars:

a) Volvo Amazon

b) Peugeot 504

c) Ford Escort MK1

3) Ad Saab 96 to FWD F1

In addition I hope that CM would continue to do refinements on the base game adding more championships in custom including RX, and that they include the DLCs in the championship mode. Personally I would love to see statistics on all levels in the game and also telemetry data so that you can analyze your own driving skills in more interesting ways.

That would be a nice round up for this console generation.

Then, I recond we’ll see DR3.0 on next gen consoles. 😊

• Agree 3

DiRT Rally 2.0 is really good and has a very good base, so I would like to see a Season 5 and 6 with new rally cars and some new stages or new locations (like Corsica, Portugal, San Remo, Ireland..)

20 hours ago, UnderclassGDfan said:

First what comes into mind would be ghost racing.

So 2 or more start a stage at the same time and people see them ghosted on track, if they are close together, but the racer don't see the opponents, just the split times.

Not that I give a single fart on e-sports.

Ghosts on the screen of the driver while driving through a stage is the worst idea when it comes to eSports rallying. Sure, the broadcast stream could maybe show ghost cars but definitely not on the screen of the driver itself. It's highly distracting and completely blocks the view ahead of you. Terrible idea.

Racing on a circuit with other cars if vastly different, just in case you would raise that point. A circuit only has 10-15 corners while a stage has on average about 100 corners. You know exactly where the circuit goes and you have plenty more room to manoeuvre. On a stage you need to see plenty ahead an so much more.

1 minute ago, SRD_SimVansevenant said:

Ghosts on the screen of the driver while driving through a stage is the worst idea when it comes to eSports rallying. Sure, the broadcast stream could maybe show ghost cars but definitely not on the screen of the driver itself. It's highly distracting and completely blocks the view ahead of you. Terrible idea.

You should re-read, what I wrote.