How has R&D been changed?

I haven't been able to play the game since the latest patch which included changes to the R&D. What exactly has been changed to slow it down and increase the longevity of the game?

29 minutes ago, ptank20 said:

I haven't been able to play the game since the latest patch which included changes to the R&D. What exactly has been changed to slow it down and increase the longevity of the game?

I think they just made the AI take longer to purchase upgrades that's all. I've not played the game in a while either (partly because I  don't like the AI wet pace now and partly because I'm now busy with other things) but that's what it sounds like.

1 hour ago, sjsharp2010 said:

I think they just made the AI take longer to purchase upgrades that's all. I've not played the game in a while either (partly because I  don't like the AI wet pace now and partly because I'm now busy with other things) but that's what it sounds like.

Seems like another backwards move then. Essentially means the player is guaranteed to take the team to the top by upgrading faster than the AI. The speed of development was the real issue and judging by this that hasn’t been addressed. 

The AI still upgrade but I think the rapid upgrading of certain teams has been reduced.  

In regards to the AI in the rain. They ain't that fast. Practice ! 

• Agree 3
  • Disagree 3

16 hours ago, inspiretheworld said:

The AI still upgrade but I think the rapid upgrading of certain teams has been reduced.  

In regards to the AI in the rain. They ain't that fast. Practice ! 

I can d oas much practice as I want but I don't think I can go any faster than I already do.

1 hour ago, sjsharp2010 said:

I can d oas much practice as I want but I don't think I can go any faster than I already do.

Then you’ve found your limit. Doesn't mean others can’t keep up though 🤭

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 2

10 hours ago, sjsharp2010 said:

You're right, as all but about  TWO loud users here have pointed out many times, the AI is overpowered in the wet.

• Agree 1

Ever notice when accelerating out of a corner doing everything right and you’re 2+ tenths up in practice whereas other corners you have to be perfect in order to not lose time.  Its the same if not worse in the wet. 90+ difficulty and you’ll see it.

The good thing is, if you manage ERS right, you can keep AI behind.

Its not that bad, but wet conditions makes the AI traction advantage all the more obvious.

Managed to do a couple of races and haven’t noticed any real change but they did say it will take longer to notice if you’r further into your career so I guess halfway through season 2 counts as “further”.

In regards to the off topic wet weather debate I find pace on inters isn’t that OP and I manage to stick with the AI but it’s harder in the full wets but I haven’t had many full wet races. So either I’m better in the wet than I thought or everyone here is running near max difficulty. My main issue is the AI make 0 errors and always get the perfect traction whereas we get wheelspin and lose time. I just hope they don’t change it back to prepatch it’s no fun being seconds a lap faster I prefer a battle than waltzing to a podium undeservingly.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, ptank20 said:

Managed to do a couple of races and haven’t noticed any real change but they did say it will take longer to notice if you’r further into your career so I guess halfway through season 2 counts as “further”.

In regards to the off topic wet weather debate I find pace on inters isn’t that OP and I manage to stick with the AI but it’s harder in the full wets but I haven’t had many full wet races. So either I’m better in the wet than I thought or everyone here is running near max difficulty. My main issue is the AI make 0 errors and always get the perfect traction whereas we get wheelspin and lose time. I just hope they don’t change it back to prepatch it’s no fun being seconds a lap faster I prefer a battle than waltzing to a podium undeservingly.

True that isn't fun but I think they made it too fas tthe yneed to find a solution somewhere in the middle. Instead of going from one extreme to another I would suggest maybe somewhere half way between where it was prepatch and where it is now. I'm still in my first season in mine and I've kind of stopped because I don't like the wet AI atm. So I can't really speak about the upgrade system really.

• Agree 2

Sorry with this off topic talk but I would want to see in person when someone using default setup will beat 100+ AI in full wet conditions. If it really is not hard like some people here say. My dry AI level is 101 atm and has been around 100 for years but in F1 2019 the wet conditions make me drop the AI to something like 85 in order to have a chance in the race.

And don't tell me that I don't know how to drive, all the previous Codemasters F1 games I played did not have any issues with AI being suddenly tremendously op when conditions change. 

Posted (edited)
On 8/26/2019 at 1:15 AM, 1henryw said:

You're right, as all but about  TWO loud users here have pointed out many times, the AI is overpowered in the wet.

The problem is that it doesn't happen all the time. If you don't do many wet races in the first place or if you're lucky to be doing consecutive races on tracks where the AI is weak, you're not likely to notice it or even run into the bug in the first place. That doesn't mean it's not there.

Edited by Coffer

21 hours ago, ptank20 said:

I just hope they don’t change it back to prepatch it’s no fun being seconds a lap faster I prefer a battle than waltzing to a podium undeservingly.

Couldn’t agree more. Though for many people this is clearly what they want.

Though funny they have to massage their ego by wanting it without admitting it (they don’t want to turn the difficulty down)!

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Anybody think the AI aggression needs toned down a little? Patch 1.09 has sent them a little crazy. Keep getting rammed off track. They going for lunges that are not there.

• Like 1
  • Disagree 2

15 hours ago, ZTheLightningZ said:

Sorry with this off topic talk but I would want to see in person when someone using default setup will beat 100+ AI in full wet conditions. If it really is not hard like some people here say. My dry AI level is 101 atm and has been around 100 for years but in F1 2019 the wet conditions make me drop the AI to something like 85 in order to have a chance in the race.

And don't tell me that I don't know how to drive, all the previous Codemasters F1 games I played did not have any issues with AI being suddenly tremendously op when conditions change. 

Yeah you're trundling along meeting your's and the teams expectations as you would in any normal race all of a sudden it rains you keep going along as you would do normally all of a sudden the AI goes OP and all of a sudden you've lost 5 places without doing anything wrong it's not really on. Kind of reminds me of 2013's over aggressive AI again as after I finished my one and only career on that I never went back to it. In fact I abandoned my career on that a season early as I only did 4 of the 5 seasons mainly because I just found it too frustrating. TBH they should have just kept it at 2018 levels I think as 2018 was fine.

I'm actually getting tired of it tbh. F2 wore off fast. Now I just accept I'll never get morale in all departments maxed in a season and STILL get zeroed in the next season even staying with the same team, and results mean nothing. Just get used to my F1 car sounding like a tractor.. Or totally ditch F2 feeder and get rid of the constant Weber Q&A which seems to replace R&D morale Q&A.. Can't have it all eh!

At least races haven't changed. Start flying ahead of AI.. Suddenly they fly past me and act like they are max fuel and boost 3 laps. Then half way through race they just die out.. Easy pickings.. They went backwards in AI performance too. Pre patch AI in 2018 on PS4 were dreamy! So aggressive BUT fair. Now they fight hard first half of a race but hit you if you go side by side around a corner. They cannot handle corners unless they are on the racing line!! Revert back to 2018 AI pre PS4 patch please. But fix them so they can use the outside of a corner without bottling out in fear. For my sanity and my future interest in F1 games. At the moment with morale Q&A troubles it makes career mode pointless unless you like the broken cars. Q&A equals too much effort. Little reward.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, SidVish said:

Anybody think the AI aggression needs toned down a little? Patch 1.09 has sent them a little crazy. Keep getting rammed off track. They going for lunges that are not there.

The AI is suberb. I was told so in another thread.

There definitely does seem to be a mindset with this game that more AI aggression = Good. Though every move to more aggression from the AI has led to more and more frustration from me running races since F1 2015. Never had to worry about crashing into the AI until that point.

Edited by Zachrulez

Well I’m on Russia in Season 2 and the upgrade rate is faster than ever I’ve gone from 2nd to 5th in the performance chart and this is the first time I’m struggling to keep up with the upgrades although I am allocating some resource points to adapt parts ahead of next season’s regulation change so it might balance out before the start of Season 3.

On 8/27/2019 at 9:56 PM, Zachrulez said:

There definitely does seem to be a mindset with this game that more AI aggression = Good. Though every move to more aggression from the AI has led to more and more frustration from me running races since F1 2015. Never had to worry about crashing into the AI until that point.

Offline the AI is great but online is another matter. Literally the worst I've ever seen in the past few years. 

just started s.2 (mercedes as previous year).

at the end we had in the the chart: merc, ferr, rb......

now i started s.2 and suddenly i find: merc, renault (????!! with a jump up incredible), rb and ferrari only being 6th....

not so realistic. i'll see the qual and race (just done p1+2+3)

On 8/27/2019 at 9:56 PM, Zachrulez said:

I love the aggressive AI in 2018, they only hit you if you took a bad line or overtook unrealistically, for instance taking 5 positions in the first corner by torpedo. But 2019 do hit often in a corner even when you are side by side equally, it has never resulted in me getting any more than a minor damaged side front wing that doesn't affect my performance or need changing, and never been taken out by the AI, but it is a bit annoying for wanting a clean race and clean wheel to wheel racing which I enjoy most of all. Would be very happy for a revert back to pre-patch 2018 AI (PS4)

I like that a team can suddenly jump in a new season, it happens a lot in F1 with McLaren and Ferrari winning consistently then both dropping down, both to the back of the grid at points, Renault winning with Alonso, Honda with Brawn GP intervention came out of nowhere with the help of the Merc engine. Not so much mid-season though, its nice to see a progressive through-season increase or decrease. But most definitely okay with new season jumps. Suddenly McLaren or Renault as a winning team, even Williams suddenly winning even in season 2! It really can happen that fast! F1 history is full of it! Part of what makes it so exciting. Only thing I would change about it all is I would like to see a maximum R&D in all departments equal! As in with all cars max modded they are all capable of being number 1. Because without it, by season 5 or 6 when all teams pretty much have R&D sorted it just goes back to a standard current season so all your work in a team lower than a Merc is nil and void. Never liked that.

• Agree 2

On 8/29/2019 at 7:36 AM, ChironTheseus said:

I love the aggressive AI in 2018, they only hit you if you took a bad line or overtook unrealistically, for instance taking 5 positions in the first corner by torpedo. But 2019 do hit often in a corner even when you are side by side equally, it has never resulted in me getting any more than a minor damaged side front wing that doesn't affect my performance or need changing, and never been taken out by the AI, but it is a bit annoying for wanting a clean race and clean wheel to wheel racing which I enjoy most of all. Would be very happy for a revert back to pre-patch 2018 AI (PS4)

Honestly I would probably be less annoyed by it if Qualifying worked correctly.

• Agree 1