rain on screen in VR

sorry not good with forums and didn't see if this has been asked before, can anything be done about the rain reflecting light, or the way it's rendered to look like xmas tree lights all over the screen, worse at dusk and night stages. Its a clever effect I'm sure and took a lot of effort but it's in no way realistic, it whites out the view through the screen, not suggesting get rid of it, but can it be toned down a bit, please. 

my GFX settings are 

shader detail high

texture detail ultra

reflections low

SPR Low

shadows off

night lighting medium

AO medium

AAO on

Particles medium 

Ad blending off

weather low

crowd off

cloth high

mirrors off

vehicle details ultra

track ultra

object high

trees ultra

ground cover medium

skidmarks and everything else after off.

cheers

• Agree 1

This issue (or similar) has been posted since VR came to Dirt Rally 2.0. It's almost impossible to drive with heavy rain or heavy snow (in VR). For example:

At this momment, is not solved.... 😞

(i7 9700k, 1080 8Gb, 32 Gb RAM, Steam, Oculus SDK, Oculus Rift S)

Edited by cestomano

slight appologies to bring this rain subject back to the fore, but I've been thinking about what is fundimentally wrong with the rain graphic. 

as I may have said long ago here or on Steam forum  the rain effect is a  very clever detailed graphic and captures the reality of water on glass very well, and a credit to the graphics team, but I think now I realise why it doesnt work, either on a pancake screen or in VR. 

Lets first go to real life and rain. When driving in rain, you have a choice that our amazing eyes and brains can make. Either look at the screen and the rain drops and see nothing outside and ultimately have an accident, or, we humans are able to focus on the solid objects outside, the road, the kerbs, other vehichles  and hedges and very effectively blurr out the screen and rain between wipes of the wiper blades to the point it is almost unseen. It's some thing we do unconciously and very very effective at seeing where we are going, night or day, especially if you have a greese free screen and good blades. (Blades is something I'll come back to). 

Now back to the virtual world, the screen and the scenery beyond are in one and the same dimension, there isn't any physical 3D distance between them, there isn't a focal point beyond the screen and raindrops to look at, you can not blurr out the screen and see where you are going without blurring out the whole graphical image. I appreciate there are gamers who will praise the reality of the rain but it's not in the slightest bit real as it is. 

As a VR user I am unfortunately at a disadvantage to players using bonnet cam or any view that is outside of the cars' interior.  

So what am I asking to be done? Hmm, good question, what can be done at this stage in the developement cycle of  game?

Is it possible to have an adjustable  scale of diminishing rain effect on the screen? So players have the choice? Even to be able to have a setting to remove it entirely, while keeping wet grip levels. At least it is still a wet stage. I'm happy to keep dirt splashes and have to wipe them away. 

Can a "rain on screen plus wipers"  effect be added even to exterior camera views so the playing field is levelled (that'll cause an uproar for sure in the exterior camera users community). I kind of remember in Dirt Rlly that certain graphic setting levels actually did put rain dops on the bonnet and  bumper views. 

And so back to wipers, in my days of RL rallying, there were wiper blades made by PIAA these applied a coating of silicon to the glass, virtually removing the need to use the wipers in all but the worst conditions, at speed the water just slides off the screen, rain didn't  create huge view blocking drops either, unfortunately I can't buy and fit these superior wiper blades to my Dirt 2.0 rally cars, but the graphics team should really have taken into account that visibility in rain can be  hugely improved very simply in real life so why not in our virtual rally world? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 1/29/2020 at 7:39 AM, fillipfilloppe said:

Is it possible to have an adjustable  scale of diminishing rain effect on the screen? So players have the choice? Even to be able to have a setting to remove it entirely, while keeping wet grip levels. At least it is still a wet stage. I'm happy to keep dirt splashes and have to wipe them away. 

I've been thinking about this problem too. As you said, maybe a solution could be smoothing/blurr rain automatically when the car moves, simulating focus to exterior effect...?