Sign in to follow this  

How do you save progress?

Ugh, I have been posting in the wrong forum, no wonder no responses to my question.

Anyway, its a simple one...

Is there a way to save game progress at any point? Not necessarily during a race, but that would be awesome, but maybe during practice.

Lets say your complete a team goal, but still have lots of practice time left, can you save it at that point and come back another day or time and resume where you left off?

Option screen... Mid session save. Works well to return to game but if you reload and finish session it gets wiped so once you press continue its gone. 

so... lets take an example...

You are in P1... you just hit a perfect run and purpled all the gates, wow, its an amazing run with lots of time left in P1 for other objectives.

So you hit options (is that escape on the keyboard? I am playing on my PC) and then you select mid season save.

Now you head back out onto the track to work on tire wear... you do ok but but only get green team goal, so you want to try the tire wear again.

Do you hit escape again and find a load mid season save? and you can rinse and repeat until you actually move on to P2 at which point the game saves it as P1 finished?

and the autosave screws me again....

So doing my qualify lap, one screw up cost me a little time... ended up Q6... can I go back and try again? NO!!!

Seriously, even the actual F1 drivers get more than 1 lap 1 chance to qualify.... this save system is really bad...

Devs please correct his... so frustrating

So don't do one lap qualifying if you want multiple laps. Or choose to restart session if you really want a do-over. This is not a game issue.

• Agree 2

I am figuring how to WORK AROUND the issue of saving in this game. Andrew your responses are totally not helpful, thanks for nothing on those.

In Dubai I qualified #1 and finished #1 in the race with a McClaren, so I am definitely figuring out the racing mechanics (still cheating though with many assists on)

The key is that you simply CANNOT save wherever you want in this game. You CANNOT save partway through a practice session or anywhere while actually on track. And that's ok, that's just the way it is, but that was my question. And you cannot stop the game from overwriting and saving your game when you move to another session. So when my wife crashed my car and the timer expired on the practice session it saved and overwrote my game. It dramatically dropped my reputation and my rookie standing, so yes IT DOES MATTER that I could not go back to a prior save point and its poor game design because of it.

My solution is to get as many goals accomplished in a given practice session and then finish that session and save. You can't save mid practice, at least that I have found. And as you noted Andrew, I simply restart session if I don't like how it's going or I am pushing really hard and crash. I can't simply go back to a save where I did great on 2 objectives in that practice session, no, because of this system I lose those and a replay session takes you ALL the way back to the beginning of the Practice, and I haven't found any way around that yet, which is goofy.

I guess you could save the game into a different filename after each race is completed, so if things really screw up, you can at the worst go back to the start of the next race weekend.  I haven't tried that yet, but I am going to now because I have not started the first practice session in China (Race 3) yet.

And yes, I learned my lesson to restart session when qualifying before crossing the finish line if I am not happy with my run, otherwise, there is that damn automatic overwrite again.

So my next question is, if I turn off autosave, and yet it still autosaves, what am I actually turning off?

I THINK.. If. You turn off autosave game only saves when you finish a session and progress. So they might work for you with a mid session save. They basically expect you to use flashback to correct errors not saving. Considering the huge amount of assists they give you its a shame the most popular game option of all time in any game is not implemented. The manual save. 

13 minutes ago, sloppysmusic said:

I THINK.. If. You turn off autosave game only saves when you finish a session and progress. So they might work for you with a mid session save. They basically expect you to use flashback to correct errors not saving. Considering the huge amount of assists they give you its a shame the most popular game option of all time in any game is not implemented. The manual save. 

Yeah, it's called cheating. 

Imagine a live performance of a song, one-take, stunning. A real "I was there" moment.

Imagine if you will another song in a recording studio, with many takes, probably because the person looks better than they sing, then they go off and auto-tune the bits that are STILL ropey.

Either may sell many units, but where is the talent?

Few notes:

- you can retry the practice programme after you fail it. Hit pause and select retry practice programme.

- if you don’t want to do the above, (because it kind of takes the realism/pressure out of the thing) you can do each programme multiple times. If you fail the first time and go back to pitlane, just try again with a new set of tyres.

- reputation and rookie/veteran doesn’t really matter that much. You can always find another drive with any team you want to be with.

- I don’t know any other racing game that has a full manual save system in the way you want it.

- if a session ends you will always be thrown to the results screen before you have to manually advance to the desk/paddock area. In this results screen you can choose to restart the session before anything is autosaved.

1 hour ago, steviejay69 said:

Yeah, it's called cheating. 

Imagine a live performance of a song, one-take, stunning. A real "I was there" moment.

Imagine if you will another song in a recording studio, with many takes, probably because the person looks better than they sing, then they go off and auto-tune the bits that are STILL ropey.

Either may sell many units, but where is the talent?

Yeh I know. Was just saying so many cheats in game already may as well have save scumming as well! 

• Haha 1