Fed up— rain and AI in the rain

I’m brand new to the F1 game. F1 2019 is my first experience. As a newcomer, the game has no explanation on how to use the controls at all. Whatever. I figured it out. 

Has rained in all but 3 races. 

AI cars do not slow down in the rain. They are unaffected. To prove this, when I saw rain forcastes for Spa in career, I lowered the AI difficulty to a ridiculously easy level. I was 20 seconds ahead in a 50% race (22 laps) when it started raining at lap 15. I finished 7th and 40 seconds off the lead. 

Why hasnt codemasters addressed this?  People have been pointing out the unfairness of this for months. 

Honestly, I’m about to ditch the game and never buy an F1 game again; which, Formula 1 racing is a great passion of mine. 

• Agree 4

I great, another “the AI are OP in the rain thread 👍

Just what we all need.

They’re not OP, you’re just not quick enough!

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 8

27 minutes ago, kalamazoo123 said:

Just what we all need.

True mostly... But I'd love to see someone win a 100% race in constant rain with zero assists cockpit view against ai 100!

That’s been done by me numerous times already at 103-104, that’s almost a sec / lap faster than 100 so.

I can count at least 8 races so far , wet, inters, mixed rain and so fourth. 

and that’s Gp or Championship mode so no unfair career advantage 

• Disagree 1

5 hours ago, kalamazoo123 said:

Just what we all need.

The winning driver, Vettel, made up a 20 second gap and pulled ahead 40 more. The AI are aggressive in the rain compared to dry on overtakes, the hit me off the racing line which they don’t do in dry conditions. 

Glad you’re so good and always win. I’m new to the game. Clearly the game in rain is different than dry. Different skill level needed. As I said, I’m a beginner. 

• Agree 3

My lap times were 5-6 seconds slower per lap in the heavy rain. 7 laps to go. Vettel was 20 seconds behind (I purposely made the AI extremely easy to prove this point). Vettel was about 1.5 seconds slower than me per lap in dry. Then suddenly in heavy rain Vettel starts matching my dry pace and caught me in 4 laps on (M) tyres which means he is racing faster in the wet. Then in three more laps he pulls ahead another 40 seconds (we both switched to (I) tyres at an extra pit stop). So explain how it’s my driving again. 

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, sloppysmusic said:

True mostly... But I'd love to see someone win a 100% race in constant rain with zero assists cockpit view against ai 100!

I have seen a youtuber with no assists, except t-cam. He made a 50% race in austria (maybe an easy track) starting with full wets and after a few rounds changed to inters. AI was set to 105 and he could compare with the top drivers. Catched Leclerc in the rain on full wets. On Inters he was slightly quicker then AI. Over the last years he was and still is a very good rain driver.

The problem is to judge if there is a problem or not. If i do a 100% race, it starts to rain and i loose 40sec. What does it mean? Is the AI OP or am I a bad rain driver?

Edited by Akkan74
  • Agree 1

Apparently we can see the AI's use of ERS and Fuel now. It would be interesting to see if they're able to get on power earlier with aggressive ERS and Fuel in the rain. Anything over Normal Fuel and low ERS in the rain and it is nearly impossible to go wide open throttle before 4th gear.

That has to be where the time is made up. Should be able to test it in Qualifying and just watch the AI. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, DaleRossi said:

Apparently we can see the AI's use of ERS and Fuel now. It would be interesting to see if they're able to get on power earlier with aggressive ERS and Fuel in the rain. Anything over Normal Fuel and low ERS in the rain and it is nearly impossible to go wide open throttle before 4th gear.

That has to be where the time is made up. Should be able to test it in Qualifying and just watch the AI. 

LOL. That's what I've been doing during the rain. 

The skill ceiling for wet conditions is definitely higher, but the AI also never makes mistakes.  You can't overdrive the car either, so its true pace is revealed.

Fortunately, you can block the **** out of the AI with good fuel and ERS management.

Lean Fuel and 1 or 0 ERS out of a corner makes traction a bit easier.  Then switch to rich and overtake after 4th gear.

8 hours ago, steelreserv said:

The skill ceiling for wet conditions is definitely higher, but the AI also never makes mistakes.  You can't overdrive the car either, so its true pace is revealed.

Fortunately, you can block the **** out of the AI with good fuel and ERS management.

Lean Fuel and 1 or 0 ERS out of a corner makes traction a bit easier.  Then switch to rich and overtake after 4th gear.

Okay, I’m new, I know how to manage fuel and I’m not running the ERS assist at all so how do I monitor yhe ERS to make sure it’s at 0 and then what do you mean by overtake? Is that an era setting?

Overtake is the 4th ERS setting just before Hotlap. Have it on 0 when in slow corners. After you get to 4th gear, up the ERS to Overtake or Hotlap. On Fuel, keep it at Normal or even Lean in very slow corners.

• Agree 1

On 25/08/2019 at 17:05, kalamazoo123 said:

Eu ótimo, outro "o AI são OP no fio de chuva "

Apenas o que todos nós precisamos.

Eles não são OP, você não é rápido o suficiente!

Have you ever stopped to think that you might not be fast enough in the dry or be playing at a lower level than ideal for your skills? This will no doubt make AI in the rain look normal to you.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, caiocrq said:

Have you ever stopped to think that you might not be fast enough in the dry or be playing at a lower level than ideal for your skills? This will no doubt make AI in the rain look normal to you.

I play at 104-107 depending on what track and the ai are overall lap time wise nicely balanced. 
By your logic I am too slow in the dry that’s why I’m not 1-1,5 sec / lap (sometimes much more according to some posters) slower in the wet. 
That means that I should race at up to 115-120 difficulty, which is hard because the scale goes only to 110 🤣

And on top of that running at 115-120 would make me more or less the fastest f1 2019 in the world. And rest assured, I am not one of the fastest in the world at f1 2019.

And my practice and experience are 99% on dry running so me being a super duper wet driver is unlikely. 
It is FAR more likely that people who have trouble keeping up in wet races are just not fast/good enough. 

Driving in the wet is more difficult so people who play as low a 50-70 like I’ve read are likely to be poor in wet races, since there are no reason not to be fast enough physically to race at >100. So why aren’t they fast enough for >100? Because they are not good enough, and not being good enough at >100 makes is more likely that skills essential for driving in the wet are also lacking. 

To ease the pain, CM should add a option to choose weather in Career as well as Championship Mode  to give people that struggle in the wet an opportunity to enjoy the game.

3 hours ago, caiocrq said:

This is just daft logic. I have my difficulty dialled in so that i am within about a 10th of a second of my teammate.

The point is simple - this difficulty level is the same to achieve this whether the weather is wet or dry.

The fact is that me, and others, have confirmed that we can be competitive with the AI equally in dry and wet, so it stands to reason that anyone who can’t in the wet, is simply not good enough in the wet.

Some has even admitted (after complaining that AI are OP in wet) that they are a beginner and don’t know how to use ERS. So it is clear that just more practice is required.

If it’s really to tough/frustrating/hard work/whatever for you... the answer is simple - CM very kindly gave us a difficulty slider - just adjust it to suit!!!

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, kalamazoo123 said:

This is just daft logic. I have my difficulty dialled in so that i am within about a 10th of a second of my teammate.

The point is simple - this difficulty level is the same to achieve this whether the weather is wet or dry.

The fact is that me, and others, have confirmed that we can be competitive with the AI equally in dry and wet, so it stands to reason that anyone who can’t in the wet, is simply not good enough in the wet.

Some has even admitted (after complaining that AI are OP in wet) that they are a beginner and don’t know how to use ERS. So it is clear that just more practice is required.

If it’s really to tough/frustrating/hard work/whatever for you... the answer is simple - CM very kindly gave us a difficulty slider - just adjust it to suit!!!

ok can you tell me your assists & difficulty level, and how long you have played f1 games for then?

i have played with a wheel ever since f1 2017 (have played older games with a controller) race at 105 difficulty with no tc, and only abs on, qualified on pole at Russia then because if the rain finished in p15! 

(not trying to sound big headed) i mostly win in the rain online too, one big factor that i still need to try is using a dedicated wet setup, usually if there is rain in the race i use a dry setup for qualifying and obviously i have to use the dry setup in the wet for the race, i will try to use a wet setup for the race and see if this is better but i still cant see how you are competitive vs the ai in the wet

I know isn’t directed to me but I use no assist. And if I did it would only make me slower with Tc at least. I don’t see a reason for me to use something like tc or abs when running at 104-107. 

You use abs, that’s fine, I’m assuming it’s because of a reason , you haven’t wondered if there is something OP with the AI under braking then that needs some adjustments by Codies? Am making a comparison because it’s plain to see by you and me that it would illogical to assume that the AI is OP under braking and they burden lays on the player because they are plenty of people playing without ABS at 105. 
The same goes with wet race pace, the issue isn’t with AI being OP , the underlying issue is with the driver. 

Using ABS at a high pace like 105 tells a possibly that braking skills isn’t as good , and possibility that goes with wet race pace. 

10 minutes ago, KrazyLurt said:

I know isn’t directed to me but I use no assist. And if I did it would only make me slower with Tc at least. I don’t see a reason for me to use something like tc or abs when running at 104-107. 

You use abs, that’s fine, I’m assuming it’s because of a reason , you haven’t wondered if there is something OP with the AI under braking then that needs some adjustments by Codies? Am making a comparison because it’s plain to see by you and me that it would illogical to assume that the AI is OP under braking and they burden lays on the player because they are plenty of people playing without ABS at 105. 
The same goes with wet race pace, the issue isn’t with AI being OP , the underlying issue is with the driver. 

Using ABS at a high pace like 105 tells a possibly that braking skills isn’t as good , and possibility that goes with wet race pace. 

I am using medium TC cause it is more realistic than TC off compared to real Formula 1. The lack of grip is huge in these Codemasters F1 games, I don't personally like it.

But anyway if medium or full TC make you much slower, to a point that you can't compete with the AI at all in the wet so you need to lower the difficulty from dry by like -15 points, that's just ridiculous. And surely that's not how it is supposed to be. People should be able to use some assists and still be competitive against the AI in all conditions. 

• Agree 2

54 minutes ago, ZTheLightningZ said:

I am using medium TC cause it is more realistic than TC off compared to real Formula 1. The lack of grip is huge in these Codemasters F1 games, I don't personally like it.

But anyway if medium or full TC make you much slower, to a point that you can't compete with the AI at all in the wet so you need to lower the difficulty from dry by like -15 points, that's just ridiculous. And surely that's not how it is supposed to be. People should be able to use some assists and still be competitive against the AI in all conditions. 

I’m accelerating slower with tc medium wet or dry so I see no reason to use it as I better acceleration without it. If that mean I have better traction without it I don’t know. 
Reading your issue it seems like a TC issue not the overall AI wet race pace. 

9 hours ago, ZTheLightningZ said:

I am using medium TC cause it is more realistic than TC off compared to real Formula 1. 

How on earth do you know this?!?

Just because 1 or 2 people on this forum have suggested something doesn’t make it true.

I run no assists and don’t struggle with traction at all. I run on a wheel and have been playing like this since F12010.

I run 98 AI as this is what puts me more or less within a 10th of my teammate, wet or dry.

• Agree 1

"I play this game first time and because I'm not automatically GOAT so I'm not going to play this ****** game ever again"

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, kalamazoo123 said:

How on earth do you know this?!?

Just because 1 or 2 people on this forum have suggested something doesn’t make it true.

I run no assists and don’t struggle with traction at all. I run on a wheel and have been playing like this since F12010.

I run 98 AI as this is what puts me more or less within a 10th of my teammate, wet or dry.

It is pretty obvious if you watch a lot of real F1 onboard footage (and/or telemetry) and compare it to your game. For example watch Valtteri Bottas' 2019 British GP pole lap, you can't even take Luffield in this game with 3rd gear and get as much acceleration with absolutely no rear slip whatsoever. And you have to wait for so long to go full throttle in this game compared to real life. And even still the rear just doesn't stick in this game, especially in the long corners. 

On 8/27/2019 at 11:20 PM, DylanWest2004 said:

(not trying to sound big headed) i mostly win in the rain online too, one big factor that i still need to try is using a dedicated wet setup, usually if there is rain in the race i use a dry setup for qualifying and obviously i have to use the dry setup in the wet for the race, i will try to use a wet setup for the race and see if this is better but i still cant see how you are competitive vs the ai in the wet

I do wonder if this is a factor for a lot of people saying they can't keep up with the AI in the wet. People these days make a setup to be purely for the fastest lap they can get in the dry and use this in their races expecting great handling, speed and smashing the AI. 

If people are doing this then your race strategy is way off. Your AI level is therefore not entirely correct causing you to be so much slower in the wet and if you used a more realistic race setup, for the dry you'd see you will also be a few levels down in difficulty. Also when intermittent weather comes, you're f****d!

If you are playing realistically and using setups meant for the given conditions and still too slow, perhaps there is an issue, perhaps you're needing more practise, who knows.

I feel a lot of peeps want to push themselves massively and are ego driven to be on the highest possible level rather than cater for their true skill and just have fun. Having said that I also believe there are some who are genuine and have issues.

• Agree 2

38 minutes ago, martbloke said:

I feel a lot of peeps want to push themselves massively and are ego driven to be on the highest possible level rather than cater for their true skill and just have fun.

Exactly!

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

With default setup and 85% difficulty I am normally a few tenths clear of my teammate in the dry. In the Mclaren in season 1 I can comfortably quality between p7 and p10 and I have no trouble racing the AI. In the dry the game feels great to me. The wet however is a different story. In qualy I really struggle to even get through Q1. Now I don't mind that it's a lot more difficult to drive in the rain, I enjoy that challenge even. But it seems like the AI isn't struggling at all or isn't balanced quite the same as in the dry. Even with a near perfect lap in the rain I am a second slower then my teammate. And that's something I've never had before, and I've been playing every single installment of the CM F1 game since 2010. So it feels like something in the wet isn't quite lining up in the grip that I have and the grip the AI has.

In the wet races so far I've had to manage the engine modes really carefully to keep the AI off my back. But the cars in front just disappear into the distance. So very curious if I'm doing something wrong, or there is indeed something that I experience that the AI's aren't troubled with.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2