Sign in to follow this  

R&D Cost Reduction Math

Each tree seems to be about 21-23k of total base research cost.

This means each 10% research level equals 2.1-2.3k of savings (if done before any components are researched).

Savings after cost reduction cost is factored:

Level 1= 1.1-1.3k

Level 2= .9-1.1k

Level 3= .7-.9k

Level 4= .5-.7k

Level 5= .3-.5k

Total: 3.5-4.5k savings per tree

can you decipher this? what does this mean, should we start putting points into reduction sooner? Hard to decide what to do first....

Not worth it in my opinion. You earn plenty of points this year so its pretty easy to get 1 or 2 upgrades every race without those bonuses. By the time you've got all those bonuses you'll be too far behind in development to catch up anyway until MUCH later.

If you plan on staying with the same team your whole career and don't mind dropping to the back pretty much then go for it. Otherwise I'd recommend not bothering with that or the other bonus that reduces failures. (They don't seem to fail as much this year and it made very little difference previously anyway)

10 hours ago, F15DOC said:

can you decipher this? what does this mean, should we start putting points into reduction sooner? Hard to decide what to do first....

The figures are based on the benefits of cost reduction before any components are researched.  Obviously, if you research parts before getting the cost reduction bonus, it reduces the amount of total cost savings for the tree.

And yes, there is a point where putting R&D points into cost reduction yields marginal or no savings at all.

Its up to you when/if you want to devote points to cost reduction, but for max benefit, putting points in early is better than later.

4 hours ago, Wynterdust said:

Not worth it in my opinion. You earn plenty of points this year so its pretty easy to get 1 or 2 upgrades every race without those bonuses. By the time you've got all those bonuses you'll be too far behind in development to catch up anyway until MUCH later.

If you plan on staying with the same team your whole career and don't mind dropping to the back pretty much then go for it. Otherwise I'd recommend not bothering with that or the other bonus that reduces failures. (They don't seem to fail as much this year and it made very little difference previously anyway)

I thought I'd write down the math though for those who are interested in a long career and want to find out the actual benefit to cost reduction efficiency.

Personally, I plan to play the long game with Haas and started a new season after the recent patch.  If you plan to jump teams after 1+ seasons, I agree.  Totally not worth it.

In my opinion, a good middle ground for cost reduction for along career is two levels for each tree.  Should only take about 6 races, but save you net 6k-7.2k in research points down the line (not including resets and failures).  At the end of the tree Ultimates cost over 1900 and majors are over 1400, so 20% off that cost is real.  On the other hand, level 3 for each tree would initially take 10-11 races to research, but for less than 1k savings, you'd be on your back foot early in the career.