Sign in to follow this  

Formula 1 TV Coverage Thread

I've decided to start a thread about Formula 1 television coverage. I assume that for some people this won't interest you much, but for me and some others, I am really interested in F1 coverage, how it works, the TV graphics, stuff like that.

I'm a keen reader of the F1 Broadcasting Blog and I think it would be cool to discuss different stuff here, like the different F1 TV crews, the CGI adverts, F1 features, ways that F1 could maybe improve their social media, etc. 

It would be also cool to find out what F1 coverage is like in different countries as I know we have different nationalities on these forums. So yeah, lets chat!

If I may, I would like to start by having a chat about the CGI adverts that are created by the FOM world feed. You usually see them at every race now and some of them are cleverly placed. And the good think about these is that FOM can change them mid-race so they can show different logos. But sometimes they go stupidly wrong (like when it rains and the spray mucks up the image) so what do you think?

I see no problem pre-race or off the track, but when it's on the track, like for Monza last year, it just looks silly...

I don't like the adverts during the race. The one on the grid at the end of the formation lap at Bahrain looked OK but the rest just look silly. Are the graphics on the Rolex board at the end of the pit lane CGI or a computer screen?

Yeah I wondered the same, but after looking from various camera angles I think they are real, but on TV screens or something. They're very bright though.

I love the candid commentary in GP2. You get phrases like 'Johnny (Cecotto), what are you doing!' and 'de Jong gets a drive through penalty for smashing into Trummers'. A questionable radio message just came through to Felipe Nasr; one of the commentators asked 'is that information useful to you?' and the other one (a racing driver I suspect) replied 'not at all.'

Kinda like to see the Sky F1 commentators do the same.

I think that driver talking is Chandhok, I'm not sure but I think it sounds like an Indian from the accent.

Yeah I wondered the same, but after looking from various camera angles I think they are real, but on TV screens or something. They're very bright though.
I'm pretty sure they're real. The world feed already has the same information that scrolls across the screen and why double up information?

I'm guessing the GP2 commentary is still Will Buxton. If you haven't seen it already go search Grosjean gp2 overtake on youtube and watch his move from Barcelona back in 2011, brilliant little bit of commentary.

I think over here in the UK we're quite spoilt. Even though the BBC coverage isn't as slick as it used to be and for me the chemistry isn't what is was with Jake, it's still a million miles ahead of what the Americans get on NBC Sports Network. I was over in Florida on the same weekend as Spa last year so watched there's and it was just awful. It basically boils down to the commentators going 'VETTEL..... HAMILTON.... car overtakes..... WOW'. The only bit of insightful coverage was infact Mr Buxton down in the pits. 

I think Sky F1 is brilliant right now for race coverage. Crofty and Brundle have fully gelled now as a commentary team. Crofty makes the odd error, but he gets across the drama of significant moments really well, he has a good laugh at any joke and is very interactive with fans on twitter. Brundle has been the voice of F1 for god knows how many years since Murray Walker retired, and he's always been a fantastic secondary commentator. And Ted Kravitz has also always been brilliant in the pits. 

To be honest the only part of BBC coverage worth watching last year in my opinion was the features with Gary Anderson. Since he's gone, I have no real interest in their coverage. When Sky F1 are showing a classic F1 race every day, along with their vast legend series and 2 hour pre and post race coverage packed full of features and analysis, it's pretty hard to compare the two at the moment. 

I'd agree Sky are ahead at the moment, sadly I don't have the money to pay for it and would rather not stream when I can get BBC anyway in reliable HD. For the BBC its clear that the budgets are an ever increasing factor as such cutting down on the things GA used to do. That said I don't think GA worked that well on live tv in the pit lane, Tom Clarkson is doing a cracking job at the moment and could go far. He very much reminds of Ted Kravitz when he first came on the scene on ITV, quietly gets on with his work, is concise in his reporting and interesting without trying to take over the show.

VetteIfan said:
I think Sky F1 is brilliant right now for race coverage. Crofty and Brundle have fully gelled now as a commentary team. Crofty makes the odd error, but he gets across the drama of significant moments really well, he has a good laugh at any joke and is very interactive with fans on twitter. Brundle has been the voice of F1 for god knows how many years since Murray Walker retired, and he's always been a fantastic secondary commentator. And Ted Kravitz has also always been brilliant in the pits. 

To be honest the only part of BBC coverage worth watching last year in my opinion was the features with Gary Anderson. Since he's gone, I have no real interest in their coverage. When Sky F1 are showing a classic F1 race every day, along with their vast legend series and 2 hour pre and post race coverage packed full of features and analysis, it's pretty hard to compare the two at the moment. 

Agreed, I was discussing with a friend who doesn't have Sky, we concluded that the only things the BBC has that Sky doesn't is Eddie Jordan and The Chain. To be fair, Eddie Jordan is fuuny, but half the time he seems off his head, and to be fair, Jonny Herbert is still quite good.

I also think Sky F1 is better now. I've grown to like Simon Lazenby presenting, Damon Hill usually makes some pretty decent points, Herbert is predictable though :P I also think the race team of Croft, Brundle and Kravitz works so well. Crofty is so enthusiastic, Brundle good as ever and Ted is always good too.

Away from the main race coverage, they are obviously miles ahead. As Vettelfan said, they show a classic race every day which is great, loads of legend interviews, 6 or 7 hours of Senna programming in one week, a weekly show and mid-week report. I feel very fortunate to have access to the channel :p

And about the CGI adverts, they are absolutely everywhere. At the Spanish GP I seem to remember there being at least 5 or 6.
- Before the race as they were lining up on the grid, did anyone see they put up details of the top 5, that was all CGI.
- The main grandstand camera on the start finish straight had something on the track saying 'F1 in Spain'.
- Inside of T5 had a Rolex advert
- Inside of T7 had a Rolex advert
- Inside of T12 had a Fly Emirates advert
- The gravel trap on the last corner had 2 Pirelli adverts.

They're everywhere!

personally after watching both on offer in the uk I think the guy on BBc Ben Edwards and Dc are the best at commentating, brundle makes far too many mistakes and never corrects them, David Croft is good tho, him and Ben Edwards would make a good commentary team imo. I think the reason I like ben Edwards is because he done the season review dvds you get in the uk and he was excellent on them, he knows a great deal about f1 and BBc are lucky to have him, and his commentary is excellent and not biased at all.

personally after watching both on offer in the uk I think the guy on BBc Ben Edwards and Dc are the best at commentating, brundle makes far too many mistakes and never corrects them, David Croft is good tho, him and Ben Edwards would make a good commentary team imo. I think the reason I like ben Edwards is because he done the season review dvds you get in the uk and he was excellent on them, he knows a great deal about f1 and BBc are lucky to have him, and his commentary is excellent and not biased at all.
Croft makes way more mistakes than Brundle! 
I like all of the Sky F1 team, surprised Davidson is still showing up though :P

I don't like either Perry or Lazenby, but I think BBC has it best for pundits. Sky's quality though is miles ahead of the beeb's. Gary Anderson is a real miss for the BBC and I preferred him to Ted. Don't get me wrong though, both are great.

As for the commentary team, I don't like Crofty and Brundle as much as Ben and DC. Both sets are great, but Crofty and Brundle go off topic too much for me (though I know that's why some like them.)

Sky's obviously got more content than the BBC with it having a dedicated channel and a bigger budget, but they've got useless people doing it.

Croft continuously gets drivers mixed up and talks BS during the race. Brundle is alright. Lazemby looks like he's crapped himself with that face, and you can see he has no idea what is going on. Herbert is pretty cool, Hills a bit boring. Natalie Pinkham is very good ;)

Not sure why Davidson is there tbh, he was a bit of a failure. And i'm never sure about Kravitz, does he actually know how the technical side of things work or does he just go off what he is told? With Gary Anderson you've got somebody thats designed cars so obviously he's got a pretty good take on things

Kravitz is probably the best pundit on the current set for technical depth. That said, he no aerodynamicist, but he's a quick thinker and he understands it. All of it... He's got a very good mind for statistics and data analysis. He's been pit-lane reporting for what, 18 years. He knows his stuff...

I'll be honest, if I hadn't watched his testing notebooks then I wouldn't know as much about the new regulations as I do. They were pretty good.

Regarding Ted Kravitz

EDIT

*can't insert video*

EDIT2: Just type in "Don't swear when talking to Ted Kravitz" in YT. Great ending sentence.

Haha, good on you Ted :p 

I do agree with Irvine's views most of the time, but that was funny :P

VetteIfan said:

I remember last year Crofty yelling ''there's a yellow flag in sector 4''.  :))

You like Gary Anderson ? I want to spit at the Tv every time I see his face. I remember in winter testing last year he was saying how good the Mclaren would be. Look how that turned out. And that's just one occasion. It's as if he comes up with this stuff from the dream he had the night before.

I remember last year Crofty yelling ''there's a yellow flag in sector 4''.  :))

You like Gary Anderson ? I want to spit at the Tv every time I see his face. I remember in winter testing last year he was saying how good the Mclaren would be. Look how that turned out. And that's just one occasion. It's as if he comes up with this stuff from the dream he had the night before.
On the timing graphic's the track is split up in to more than 3 sectors we see and know about on TV. Which is why you often hear them talking about a yellow in sector 16 or something. So that yellow flag in sector 4 was probably correct. 

Mclaren did originally look lightning fast in testing last year. Before they'd realised they'd mounted a piece of suspension on the wrong way and the time was artificial. Can't really blame Anderson for that. I did like Gary Anderson though yes, he's been in F1 for 20 odd years and as a former designer he had a great knowledge of how the cars work. He was the only redeemable part of BBC's coverage last year for me. 

Yeah, as Vettelfan said, they have more sectors on track, but the viewer only sees the 3 sectors. I think they are in like 200 metre sections, so yeah, he was probably correct when Crofty said that.