Sign in to follow this  

Formula 1 TV Coverage Thread

But if James Allen is to be one of C4's commentators, at least he was always better than Legtard.

Blasphemy. The line "Ooh there's a problem there" will go down in F1 folklore and be immortalised forever. 

In all seriousness though, I like Allen too, but I'd prefer to have him as the commentator than the pit lane reporter. He's got a great voice for commentary. Plus he wins on pure nostalgia points for me. It'll be weird not hearing his voice accompanied by the sound of V10 (and V8 too, but I more associate him with V10 because that's when I first started watching). 

I detested James Allen as a commentator, but his and Brundle's commentary of Brazil 08, whilst biased, was brilliant.

I remember him getting incredibly pumped for the start of a Monaco Grand Prix many years ago, I think it was either 2002 or 2003, but he was going 'Are you ready? ARE YOU READY? HERE WE GO. GOOOOOOOO'. That's why I want him commentating again.

There must be a video of this somewhere!

MBKF1 said:
I remember him getting incredibly pumped for the start of a Monaco Grand Prix many years ago, I think it was either 2002 or 2003, but he was going 'Are you ready? ARE YOU READY? HERE WE GO. GOOOOOOOO'. That's why I want him commentating again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Db2KdnAKfA

HILARIOUS :D 

mike96 said:
MBKF1 said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Db2KdnAKfA

HILARIOUS :D 
That's one word for it...

Thank you Mike! Ah I haven't listened to that in years, fantastic!

According to the F1 Broadcasting blog (which is usually pretty reliable), C4 will be as follows:
Presenter: Steve Jones
Pundits: David Coulthard, Mark Webber, Susie Wolff (Plus a few alterations throughout the season)
Commentators: Ben Edwards and David Coulthard
Pit lane: Karun Chandock
Interviews: Lee McKenzie

Lukedfrt said:
EVERYTHING READY... GOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!      
The heart is going like a trip hammer!

On the subject of the C4 lineup, looks pretty decent. Have absolutely no idea who Steve Jones is but I'm willing to give him a try, Coulthard and Webber will be brilliant pundits, Wolff will attract new viewers no doubt. Edwards and DC commentary will be good again, as will Lee McKenzie. The only thing I'm not sure about is Karun Chandhok as a pit lane reporter. I reckon there must be someone better.

No idea who Steve Jones is either, but I'm very happy with that line up otherwise! Trust me Matt, Chandok is more than up to the task of pit lane reporter, did you ever hear him commentate on Friday practice sessions? (Can't remember if it was BBC or Sky) He's very good, knows absolutely tons about the history of the sport too :) 

It's funny on the pundits, it's like C4 has gone for drivers who have retired from the sport within the last decade, where Sky have the old blokes from 'back in the day' ;)

The only problem is that, like Sky, it lacks the team principle. Although Alain Prost hasn't ruled out doing the odd race for them. Also Martin Whitmarsh turned down the job apparently.

EDIT: Here is a video of Steve Jones:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCdmlii_BVk

And I was right! 
Pundits: DC, Webber, Wolff, Senna, Nic Hamilton, Prost, EJ and Alessandro Zanardi
Commentators: Ben Edwards and DC
Technical Reporter: Karun Chandok
Features: Murray Walker

Pretty good!

That line up is mad craic. They've even got Prost and Zanardi onboard, and nicked Senna from Sky. Cannot wait to hear Nick Hamilton's totally impartial commentary on the on goings of the F1 world.

fIsince08 said:
And I was right! 
Pundits: DC, Webber, Wolff, Senna, Nic Hamilton, Prost, EJ and Alessandro Zanardi
Commentators: Ben Edwards and DC
Technical Reporter: Karun Chandok
Features: Murray Walker

Pretty good!
That's awesome! Seems C4 have a great team of people for their coverage. And Murray Walker! :) 

It looks good but I don't see why they felt the need to draft in Nic Hamilton, especially when they've already got 7 other capable pundits.

Also, Karun Chandhok technical reporter? I was hoping C4 might've undone BBC's mistake of getting rid of Gary Anderson given he was the best technical mind on TV. Chandhok seems like a strange choice for that role. 

Anyway, at least Suzi Perry is gone. 

VetteIfan said:
It looks good but I don't see why they felt the need to draft in Nic Hamilton, especially when they've already got 7 other capable pundits.

Also, Karun Chandhok technical reporter? I was hoping C4 might've undone BBC's mistake of getting rid of Gary Anderson given he was the best technical mind on TV. Chandhok seems like a strange choice for that role. 

Anyway, at least Suzi Perry is gone. 
Its C4, they're all for diversity. Not that Karun and others won't be good or don't deserve to be there, but they've got to have their woman tick box checked, their foreigner, they even managed to get their disabled person and black person rolled into one. Now they're just praying for Lee McKenzie to come out as lesbian and they've ticked off their entire list of must haves.

No idea who Steve Jones is either, but I'm very happy with that line up otherwise! Trust me Matt, Chandok is more than up to the task of pit lane reporter, did you ever hear him commentate on Friday practice sessions? (Can't remember if it was BBC or Sky) He's very good, knows absolutely tons about the history of the sport too :) 

It's funny on the pundits, it's like C4 has gone for drivers who have retired from the sport within the last decade, where Sky have the old blokes from 'back in the day' ;)
Yeah he was fantastic on commentary, and that's why I said I think there's someone better for a pit lane reporter role. With his vast knowledge on the sport, and the history, I think he'd suit a punditry role more than a pit lane reporter, who has to just comment on what is happening at that time.

But yeah, the line up looks sweeeet! A nice combination of familiar BBC faces and some new ones, really nice. Murray Walker and Alain Prost were definitely unexpected, but I'm not complaining, and Mark Webber will be fantastic I'm sure whenever he's on punditry roles. He's always got an opinion.

I hope that C4 kick Sky's backside this year. Considering Sky have their own dedicated F1 channel, what they have done is feeble, especially when you look at what amazing things they could be doing with all that air time. Sky have some gems like Brundle and Kravitz but a lot of them are rubbish and would be far better off with other choices.

Bruno Senna and Karun Chandok jumping from Sky is a big coop, they are fantastic pundits. Only problem now is Crofty won't have anyone to stop him droning on in practice sessions. Getting Alain Prost to join from Canal + is a big surprise too!

My god.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/sky-secures-exclusive-f1-broadcast-agreement-681864/

Yep.... I have Sky but I also know many don't, as it's stupidly overpriced (also going up another 10% in June) F1 needs to be on free TV as its not as big as football

They are going to finally broadcast at 4K next year, but to view that you need the new Sky Q box, with also a £50 installation fee (which I could do myself but the refuse) and I think the subscription goes up, and no doubt 4K channels will be another sub like it is to view HD channels. They certainly know how to milk people (why do I have Sky again?)

Mark my words, this could end Formula 1 altogether. Sky's viewing figures have declined 30% year on year and Channel4's figures are nowhere near BBC's, which weren't exactly brilliant either. Bernie Ecclestone continues to fail to acknowledge that a fan base - and more importantly a young fan base - is necessary if the sport is to survive.

Failing to put live F1 on FTA TV will only cause the rapid decline in viewers to continue - if not make the problem worse. We could end up with an entire generation of people failing to get into F1 and essentially bring the sport to its knees. Less viewers = less sponsors wanting to join. Less sponsors = less money for the already struggling teams. Less money = less teams. Less teams = no F1.

Just look at how the BTCC has blossomed since moving from BBC's highlights. It's now had one new manufacturer join in each of the last two seasons, signed a contract for live FTA through to 2024 and has a full 32 car grid.

So basically F1 will be ditching a large number of casual fans who can't afford Sky. I honestly can't see any upside to that deal... 

At least we have online streams of the channel we need, because with F1 leaving free to air TV that'll be the only way I watch from 2019.

Hughesy said:
Yep.... I have Sky but I also know many don't, as it's stupidly overpriced (also going up another 10% in June) F1 needs to be on free TV as its not as big as football

yeah just saw this on twitter as well anw ith just having to cut my Sky package back to asve money that feels like a double kick in the teeth